Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

i only use it on youtube becaue youtube hates me, seriously, on a fresh built only basic drivers and os installed youtube gave me a 3min unskipable ad, followed by yet another 3min unskipable ad 1 min in the vide3o along with the bar ad you can minimize, but without minimize/close option, after i installed firefox it only got rid of the 2nd unskipable ad.

Nothing to see here, move along

Oh please... There is a difference between taking money and not giving money.

And like 10 minutes spread out in the video ("sponsor spots"), and on the side of the video, and a popup in the video, and a banner in most part of the video.

It's not just a 15 second ad in a 1.5 hour stream.

I don't really care if Linus calls me scummy, just like I don't think he will care that I will call him ignorant about it or that his hatred is mostly irrational.

The sponsor spots on the stream are part of the stream, you don't like it skip it.  The banners hardly prevent the stream from happening.  The only thing adblock removes is the 15sec ad at the start yes? hardly a burden on internet caps when the users is consuming copious amounts more in actual content.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Except that the money made from advertising on websites is nowhere near enough to pay the costs of running a server. 

I know but that was not my point...

Scriptsafe is just a Chrome version of NoScript except it lacks certain functionality because of Chrome's limitations).

Oh, okay.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

The sponsor spots on the stream are part of the stream, you don't like it skip it.  The banners hardly prevent the stream from happening.  The only thing adblock removes is the 15sec ad at the start yes? hardly a burden on internet caps when the users is consuming copious amounts more in actual content.

Call it "part of the stream" if you want, but they are still ads.

It is hardly any time to wait if it is an unskippable ad on YouTube. Not even 30 seconds at most. There is no need to adblock that unless you pride yourself in your own importance. The guys at LTT need to make money and you're helping to prevent them from doing so. So yes, I shall call you scum. 

The point is it gets in my way and I don't wanna see it in the first place. If it was just on the side of the page it would be fine.

But then there's also websites that have ads that block the page entirely or make noise or jump out in front of what you're reading or whatever.

Look at billboards on the sides of highways and stuff, they sit there and advertise. They don't jump out in front of your care and go "HEY LOOK AT ME". Internet ads shouldn't do that. Sure there's similar on TV but those are in blocks of ads and they allow you to get up and go to other things. You also aren't in control of what content you watch at what time, you're either there when your show is on or your not. Sure you can use a DVR and record or pause the show and skip ads that way or watch when you want.

I don't mind Linus throwing in those sponsor spots because he makes them entertaining and if I wanted to I could skip past them like I do on Teksyndicates The Tek show when he spends like 5 minutes in the middle of the video talking about it.

And ads typically load separate from the video, sometimes when my internet is being slow I have to wait for the ads to load and buffer and then when it's over I have to wait again for the video I wanted to load and buffer. I don't have time for that.

Now I probably won't have that problem again since I have much faster internet here now, but before that was a major problem.

EDIT: also the banner ads that show up during videos are annoying because I click them away and a minute later another shows up. I watch fullscreen for a reason most of the time, stop taking up (even though yes it is a small portion) part of my screen.

Call it "part of the stream" if you want, but they are still ads.

if they are ads you don't want to see then don't watch the stream. 

EDIT: I don't watch commercial TV because I don't like the ads,  but I don't complain about the sponsored sections of the content that I do watch because that sponsoring pays for the content. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's a bad attitude to have. Don't watch an entire video because you don't wanna see some ads? No. I'd rather just skip over them.

Hmm, scrolling down on LTT I see the add of choice for me is hooking up with gay guys on zoosk... I think addblocker might not be such a bad idea if this keeps up >_> (jk)

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I have been a linus fan for a long long time. I've given him the type of support a good fan should. I told my friends about his videos, I liked, commented and subscribed. but thats not enough for linus. He wants every single f*&^ing penny that can possibly, POSSIBLY, be milked from his audience and if you don't give him every single last cent possible then he calls you scum.

I agree, so I disabled it on this website.

YouTube consumes too much of my time already, if I watch ads on it too it would not be a pleasant experience anymore.

Linus, deal with it, at least you're making money off of me via me liking every single video that I liked and disabling adblock on here. :)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

EDIT: I don't watch commercial TV because I don't like the ads,  but I don't complain about the sponsored sections of the content that I do watch because that sponsoring pays for the content. 

When did I say I didn't want to watch them? All I said is that they are still ads. You tried to make it sound like there is only 15 seconds worth of ads on the 1.5 hours live stream but it's far far more than that.

It's only 15 seconds if you don't count the other 10+ minutes and popups and banners and other ads. That's all I was saying. I said absolutely nothing about what I think of them. Stop being so defensive.

That's a bad attitude to have. Don't watch an entire video because you don't wanna see some ads? No. I'd rather just skip over them.

so you want someone to create content for you for free? you don't want in stream sponsors, or pre stream ads or banners a the bottom, but you still want him to provide you with content.  Doesn't sound greedy much?

I have been a linus fan for a long long time. I've given him the type of support a good fan should. I told my friends about his videos, I liked, commented and subscribed. but thats not enough for linus. He wants every single f*&^ing penny that can possibly, POSSIBLY, be milked from his audience and if you don't give him every single last cent possible then he calls you scum.

Please you sound like an entitled teenager.

I use adblock on all the websites that I use. Do I care? No not really.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

The point is it gets in my way and I don't wanna see it in the first place. If it was just on the side of the page it would be fine.

But then there's also websites that have ads that block the page entirely or make noise or jump out in front of what you're reading or whatever.

Look at billboards on the sides of highways and stuff, they sit there and advertise. They don't jump out in front of your care and go "HEY LOOK AT ME". Internet ads shouldn't do that. Sure there's similar on TV but those are in blocks of ads and they allow you to get up and go to other things. You also aren't in control of what content you watch at what time, you're either there when your show is on or your not. Sure you can use a DVR and record or pause the show and skip ads that way or watch when you want.

I don't mind Linus throwing in those sponsor spots because he makes them entertaining and if I wanted to I could skip past them like I do on Teksyndicates The Tek show when he spends like 5 minutes in the middle of the video talking about it.

And ads typically load separate from the video, sometimes when my internet is being slow I have to wait for the ads to load and buffer and then when it's over I have to wait again for the video I wanted to load and buffer. I don't have time for that.

Now I probably won't have that problem again since I have much faster internet here now, but before that was a major problem.

EDIT: also the banner ads that show up during videos are annoying because I click them away and a minute later another shows up. I watch fullscreen for a reason most of the time, stop taking up (even though yes it is a small portion) part of my screen.

So because it annoys you, that is a reason to hinder income to those that need it? That is a low, and selfish reason. It doesn't take any time to close the ad.

It's like no one can see it from the producer's side of the fence. They put the time and the effort into whatever they are creating. If the product, video, whatever it is, is of high enough quality, like LTT's videos are, they deserve to make money from it.

Would you like it if someone just turned around and said "Nope, you cant have money this week, because the way you make it annoys me?" I doubt you would.

Don't just look upon ads as an annoyance, look upon them as a way of helping your favourite peoducers make money and continue to produce content that you enjoy.

Also, waiting a few more seconds or minutes of your life wont hurt. You're helping someone live, even if it costs you a little time. All I can say to that is suck it up and deal with it.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

When did I say I didn't want to watch them? All I said is that they are still ads. You tried to make it sound like there is only 15 seconds worth of ads on the 1.5 hours live stream but it's far far more than that.

It's only 15 seconds if you don't count the other 10+ minutes and popups and banners and other ads. That's all I was saying. I said absolutely nothing about what I think of them. Stop being so defensive.

The thread is about adblock, adblock can only stop the ads that preroll/served on the side, it cannot stop banner ads or in stream sponsors.  To bring that up means that it either bothers you, in which case you should stop watching, or please explain how it is relevant to adblock.

The thread is about adblock, adblock can only stop the ads that preroll/served on the side, it cannot stop banner ads or in stream sponsors.  To bring that up means that it either bothers you, in which case you should stop watching, or please explain how it is relevant to adblock.

Maybe some people think Linus is trying to double/tripe/quadrupole dip and don't want to be bombarded with a ton of ads so they block the ones they can?

I mean, even with adblock you still see a ton of ads in his videos.

Edit: I still think you're overly defensive about this. I just mentioned that Linus has more ads in his video than the 15 second video ad and you jumped on me like a shark, suggesting that I shouldn't watch his videos.

I have not used adblock for like a month, not a big difference, if adblock becomes a serious problem then youtube will make sure to implement unskippable very intrusive ads because of the entitled people...

Linus has in-video ads, that is because he does not make from youtube alone and part of the reason he does not make enough from youtube alone is because of the adblock users

person below me is a scrub

I don't what experiences other are having but it sounds a lot like BS to me, youtube and this forum do not have pop out ads, nothing scrolls down the screen, there is no sound that plays in the background.

I watch the wan show on youtube and I only have to sit through the pre roll ad, that's it, nothing pops up in front of me, the ads to the side are what? 10Kb pictures? that change every now and then, but that's it.  The excuse that they consume too much data or prevent you from watching the show as Linus intends it to be seen is silly, and the arguments are clearly clasping at straws.

Depends on the sites. Some sites do not think about ad placement at all. They program a site and slap the ads in at the last possible time, so the site gets to look ugly ar the ads are obtrusive as a result. I block those. On LTT and other sites where the ads are not bad at all, I allow them.

I don't what experiences other are having but it sounds a lot like BS to me, youtube and this forum do not have pop out ads, nothing scrolls down the screen, there is no sound that plays in the background.

I watch the wan show on youtube and I only have to sit through the pre roll ad, that's it, nothing pops up in front of me, the ads to the side are what? 10Kb pictures? that change every now and then, but that's it.  The excuse that they consume too much data or prevent you from watching the show as Linus intends it to be seen is silly, and the arguments are clearly clasping at straws.

well congrats bruh you don't mind wasting your time and being stepped all over. ME I hate even 5 seconds of forced ad. before adspam was so ubiquitous I would straight up close my browser and do something else if an ad started playing infront of the vid I clicked. Or how many times has the ad played and the video crashed, then you had to watch the ad again? You sound like you are totally cool with that but not me.

anyways this thread isnt about adblock, its about linus calling his fans scum.

adblock is just interesting to debate.

Maybe some people think Linus is trying to double/tripe/quadrupole dip and don't want to be bombarded with a ton of ads so they block the ones they can?

I mean, even with adblock you still see a ton of ads in his videos.

Edit: I still think you're overly defensive about this. I just mentioned that Linus has more ads in his video than the 15 second video ad and you jumped on me like a shark, suggesting that I shouldn't watch his videos.

It's just my usual short sharp to the point style, We can't control the ads and sponsor segments that linus imbeds in the stream, and I think it's fair to say that that is the content Linus wants to produce. So if we don't like it we don't have to watch it,  there are no other options.  However people do have an option with adblock,  yet the issue is they are only removing a very small portion of ads and they aren't really intrusive anyway, but the reduction in potential income as a result I think is disproportionate.  

My argument is that a lot of the excuses people have given for using adblock are either just plain wrong or laughable.  when was the last time youtube greyed out and a banner ad popped up preventing you from watching the stream every 5 minutes? 

well congrats bruh you don't mind wasting your time and being stepped all over. ME I hate even 5 seconds of forced ad. before adspam was so ubiquitous I would straight up close my browser and do something else if an ad started playing infront of the vid I clicked. Or how many times has the ad played and the video crashed, then you had to watch the ad again? You sound like you are totally cool with that but not me.

anyways this thread isnt about adblock, its about linus calling his fans scum.

adblock is just interesting to debate.

maybe he's right then,  especially you can't handle 5 seconds of an ad to help fund the content but still want the content.

I am not sure if this comment is directed at me, but I haven't mentioned data consumption at all. I quickly read through the other posts in this thread and I only found one guy mention data usage.

Are you perhaps projecting?

It's in one of the WAN archives, because I remember hearing it too.

It was during news about how there was some controversy behind AdBlock taking payment to whitelist ads on certain sites.

Yeah and Linus really showed how biased and ignorant he is about AdBlock in that segment. He basically went "oh good, someone is suing AdBlock so I will take their side without looking into it! Damn I get a raging hard on from whining about adblock".

So because it annoys you, that is a reason to hinder income to those that need it? That is a low, and selfish reason. It doesn't take any time to close the ad.

It's like no one can see it from the producer's side of the fence. They put the time and the effort into whatever they are creating. If the product, video, whatever it is, is of high enough quality, like LTT's videos are, they deserve to make money from it.

Would you like it if someone just turned around and said "Nope, you cant have money this week, because the way you make it annoys me?" I doubt you would.

Don't just look upon ads as an annoyance, look upon them as a way of helping your favourite peoducers make money and continue to produce content that you enjoy.

Also, waiting a few more seconds or minutes of your life wont hurt. You're helping someone live, even if it costs you a little time. All I can say to that is suck it up and deal with it.

so you want someone to create content for you for free? you don't want in stream sponsors, or pre stream ads or banners a the bottom, but you still want him to provide you with content.  Doesn't sound greedy much?

Ok you guys aren't listening to what i'm saying.

I would be fine with ads if they went back to how they were, out of the way just on the sides of pages. Not stopping my videos, or poping up in my videos, or jumping out in front of text i'm reading, or blocking webpages entirely until I close them, or making noise on pages that otherwise shouldn't have sound.

Ads can be ok. They have become annoying and interruptive. THAT is the problem that needs to be fixed.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go do something productive like play some games or something.