Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

Ok you guys aren't listening to what i'm saying.

I would be fine with ads if they went back to how they were, out of the way just on the sides of pages. Not stopping my videos, or poping up in my videos, or jumping out in front of text i'm reading, or blocking webpages entirely until I close them, or making noise on pages that otherwise shouldn't have sound.

Ads can be ok. They have become annoying and interruptive. THAT is the problem that needs to be fixed.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go do something productive like play some games or something.

No, that is exactly what I understood from that. However, your argument is still selfish and I still go back to what I said, with it taking little to no time to close the ad or skip it.

Yes, it may not be the most ideal way, but it is how it is and blocking ads for your own gain while impeading revenue for whomever it is, is wrong.

Enjoy your games never the less.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Trying to rape half of my screen with ads is not cool. There, I said it.

haters-gonna-hate.gif

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I am not sure if this comment is directed at me, but I haven't mentioned data consumption at all. I quickly read through the other posts in this thread and I only found one guy mention data usage.

Are you perhaps projecting?

No, that post was directed at the people using excuses like popup ads that don't actually occur on this forum or on youtube.

I would be fine with ads if they went back to how they were, out of the way just on the sides of pages. Not stopping my videos, or poping up in my videos, or jumping out in front of text i'm reading, or blocking webpages entirely until I close them, or making noise on pages that otherwise shouldn't have sound.

Ads can be ok. They have become annoying and interruptive. THAT is the problem that needs to be fixed.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go do something productive like play some games or something.

Ads like you are describing don't happen either on the LTT forums or on youtube,  I have never had a wan show archive interrupted with a youtube ad.   Fine if you want to block sites that grey out and show ads every 5 seconds, personal I don't give those sites any traffic to begin with, but to use the ads on other sites as an excuse to use adblock on LTT is irrational in my mind.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I agree.

The exception list AdBlock Plus has (which by the way is not something you pay to be added to, you get added by following some good guide lines) does a really good job of allowing GOOD ads and blocking bad ads. If everyone was following their guide lines I wouldn't use AdBlock.

Yeah...here's an idea.

Put the adds on the page, with no sound, as just images or gifs or something off to the sides or in the background, judge the advertising by how many people visit that page....and get them the fuck out of the video's?

I wont be surprised if Linus comes out against Net Neutrality at this point.

Do advertising companies realize that most people don't pay attention to adverts right? or is it just me.

Edit: Idea, one could just close twitch chat during the WAN show during adverts. Dick move? yes, but in my opinion, so is calling someone scummy for not wanting to watch shit that they aren't going to buy and probably aren't interested in. You wanna run adverts, fine, but dont be surprised when people figure out a way to block it or skip it, just like with throttling and net neutrality, someone, somehow, will figure out a way around, or figure out a way to incur them losses for their bullshit.

The sad thing is I actually like dollar shave club. Too bad I had to cancel because I lost my job.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't remember him calling users scummy (unless it was on the most recent WAN show which I haven't seen yet). The paid whitelist sounds pretty shady but it'd never work because better competition would emerge.

If he did call adblock users scummy - okay? If you want to be upset or offended by that - okay?

If content creators are noticeably impacted via adblock usage you can ask users to change their habits or try to shame them into doing it. At that point though, you should probably be thinking about how your content is delivered and if that's the best way forward. Self-employment ho!

Proof of how useless the advertising is, google syndicate ad's on LTT forums is now giving me russian dating site adverts because i've been viewing coverage of the MH17 flight crisis. Also people forget that your paying for the bandwidth to deliver the ad's it would be like a telemarketer phoning you up and asking you to reverse the charges

How the hell do you get slow internet in Maroubra? 

Terrible copper phone lines that are in a pit that floods, and shorts, every time it rains. 

And to think I'm only one suburb away from the NBN...

I don't remember him calling users scummy (unless it was on the most recent WAN show which I haven't seen yet). The paid whitelist sounds pretty shady but it'd never work because better competition would emerge.

The whole "AdBlock Plus are not taking payments from ad companies!" is just anti-AdBlock propaganda Linus is helping spread.

AdBlock Plus is very transparent with the whole thing and it does not involve any money changing hands. You can read about the process in the link I posted above.

I hope Linus issues an apology, he integrates his advertising into his content, which is fine, but you don't insult people in your user base. Regardless of whether or not your "right".

Advertising is something that NEEDS to die, product placement is one thing, if its the honest opinion of the person doing it, but forced advertising needs to go. Its a waste of money, and generates no profit. At least not with me and the people I know.

Edit: I forward the motion that we all start closing twitch chat during sponsor sections and reopening when it's over, until Linus issues an apology.

Terrible copper phone lines that are in a pit that floods, and shorts, every time it rains. 

And to think I'm only one suburb away from the NBN...

you can blame the NBN for telstra not fixing it too.  That sucks.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Being inconvenienced for ones of seconds so I can help support Linus, Slick, Brandon, Dezel, That other guy, Linus' Wife, two children, and cats is hardly unbearable.  Yeah, you're scum because 5 seconds of your life before the skip ad button appears is more important than creating all these jobs centred around things we actually like and enjoy.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I hope Linus issues an apology, he integrates his advertising into his content, which is fine, but you don't insult people in your user base. Regardless of whether or not your "right".

Advertising is something that NEEDS to die, product placement is one thing, if its the honest opinion of the person doing it, but forced advertising needs to go. Its a waste of money, and generates no profit. At least not with me and the people I know.

He probably will, but it won't be without rationalization or explanation.  And to be honest I feel there are some users who don't deserve an apology because they are just entitled and don't want to consider the bigger picture.

I've considered the bigger picture, and as said, he has ads integrated into his programming (rather cleverly I would point out) and he gets paid for VIEWS as well, so guess what? adblock barely affects him.

I dont actually use any adblocks, except when I go to those DLs full of fake downloads.

I did try out a doge adblocker, but that was just for kicks.

Hey bro do you mute the tv during a commercial? You are a scumbag. Thats how those people make money to survive. Shame on you..........bahahahaha what a stupid argument. You know how I survive? I have a real job and it doesn't involve spamming people with products.

Who gives a shit if people adblock.......

Edit: I dont use adblocker but I think people have the right to use it if they want. If his only reason for doing the show is money then so be it.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I've considered the bigger picture, and as said, he has ads integrated into his programming (rather cleverly I would point out) and he gets paid for VIEWS as well, so guess what? adblock barely affects him.

Maybe, but every time someone posts information pertaining to youtube revenue there are a million questions about it's reliability/accuracy.   I would bet it's significant, but wouldn't like to say whether it is higher or not.

We've been over this... I made a rant like last week. Like seriously? Fix the way ads get in the way and annoy people and go back to how they were years ago where they were just there. Until then, i'm gonna use adblock. Wanna fix it? Content providers need to go complain to where the ads are coming from.

THIS X 100 000 000

I WAS AD BLOCK FREE FOR YEARS, YEEEAAAARRRRSSSS

ADS ARE TOO INVASIVE IN THEIR CURRENT STATE, THE PROBLEM IS NOT ADVERTISEMENT, THE PROBLEM IS HOW INVASIVE THEY HAVE BECOME

IN LINUS' OWN FREAKING WAN SHOW WE SAW ADS PLAYING AUDIO WITHOUT THEM EVEN TOUCHING THE LAPTOP

I will accept banners, I will not accept pop ups or audio or pre-rolls. 

Until then, I don't care what anyone says I will use adblock. 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

I'm actually find it slightly amusing that some people are like "I only used Ad-block on torrent sites" so basically using adblock on YouTube is wrong but downloading something on a torrent site (For example a TV show WITHOUT ads) is perfectly fine?  

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Also Linus now has ads IN his videos.

So I can't skip those, but I don't mind because they are well integrated and its his voice. 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

When advertisements essentially ruin my experience on YouTube due to my absurdly poor internet connection, I'll use AdBlock. When YouTube stops forcing advertisements to be obtrusive and annoying, I'll disable AdBlock.

When advertisements don't interrupt and ruin/hurt my experience, I keep AdBlock off to support the web owners.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Here's an idea for companies, make products that are worth a fuck, stop wasting money on advertising (sponsors I dont have an issue with, forced ads I do) and maybe pass those savings on to the customer?

Jesus, I would get a progressive insurance account if I KNEW that they would fire and hire a hitman to kill flow....

However much you think he makes off of the integrated sponsor ads, it's probably not enough to pay for one of his employees.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

adblock used to slow my pc down even more slower than my pc was. sooo there that.