Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

I seriously just want to hear @LinusTech's side of this.

Have you complained about the ad delivery system, or are you just blaming it on the fans that use AdBlock?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Somehow feel like you missed the point, the ads are hardly intrusive, anyone who uses adblock on the forums is just taking it too far for no good reason other than selfish idealism.   We live in a capitalist society and bills have to be paid,  what do you think will happen to the basement youtuber with his iphone when his mum stops paying the bills?   He'll need to pay his own power bill and rent, were will the money come from? not from ads because greedy content consumers a preventing that from happening so he goes to work and stops creating content.  

Besides, jhen should use his regular account and stop hiding behind this one, If he seriously believes what he's saying is correct that is.  

You missed my point. Calling someone scum or another other name for having this "idealism" you call won't help. Linus' insult towards users included. Instead you could have asked him to white list or donate. My point was calling a group of users scum and then when this guy came whoever he is asked does anyone feel this as an insult and being called the same in return is adding fuel to the fire that will possibly hurt the site in return. If you don't believe me look above. Sometimes not having on ads can save themselves money too in which cases some ads add to the internet usage and some companies charge as much as $10 per 50GB. 

You can always whitelist sites which is something I do but sometimes the ads are so intrusive it not worth the hassle. Imagine your reading an article and a HUGE ad suddenly covers the content, if it happened every time you would get sick of it, Just look at CVG. 

Also you have to consider mobile users or users who have very limited broadband bandwidth or speeds, for those users loading banner ads or video ads on YouTube/Video site Will cost them money (Through data allowance) and affect the loading time of the site. You really think that person wants to basically pay to view ads they probably have no intention of clicking? 

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

It's in one of the WAN archives, because I remember hearing it too.

It was during news about how there was some controversy behind AdBlock taking payment to whitelist ads on certain sites.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

If this was League of Legends chat would be spamming report right now. 

Report Linus Negative Attitude. :3

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I use AdBlock but have it disabled on LinusTechTips.com. I care that Linus gets his revenue, I want him to be able to support his family and pay his staff. I don't care, whenever an ad comes on I get milk or wash my hands until it's over.

You missed my point. Calling someone scum or another other name for having this "idealism" you call won't help. Linus' insult towards users included. Instead you could have asked him to white list or donate. My point was calling a group of users scum and then when this guy came whoever he is asked does anyone feel this as an insult and being called the same in return is adding fuel to the fire that will possibly hurt the site in return. If you don't believe me look above. Sometimes not having on ads can save themselves money too in which cases some ads add to the internet usage and some companies charge as much as $10 per 50GB. 

some people in South Africa pay around $ 50 for 10 gig not $10 for 50 gig LOL.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I use not just Adblock, but also Noscript. And no, I'm not turning them off or whitelisting them Because although I trust linustechtips.com, I do not trust newrelic.com, gstatic.com, ajax.googleapis.com, and countless other domains that are trying to constantly connect to me and run scripts that I didn't ever give permission to run when I go to this website. YouTube is worse, I don't want dozens of Google scripts running.

Calling people scum is incredibly simple minded.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I have it but don't use it for many sites, when ever I go to a blog, news site or other places where I support content creators I make sure it's disabled.

i'm a potato

Calling people dumb because they feel a specific way about a situation is well... dumb.

Now, when you're done callling names (as I was before), we can get through this.

I don't disagree, he needs to go to the source, but not everyone will do this. Do you think YouTube is going to revamp their shitty, intrusive advertising system for six, maybe seven tech YouTubers? It is garbage, but no one is complaining at the right thing.

There's more than 6 youtubers that would be complaining, sure I don't know how to get everyone to get on the right track to fix this but content creators really need to stop being retarded and know where to go to fix this. Not just Linus, all of them. A lot of them are smart enough to know this, so why they continue to complain about their viewers blocking ads really baffles me.

And then we have people like the ones here going "you people need to turn off adblock cause it's bad for them waaaaaaaaaah" no stop being stupid and learn what the real problem is. Sure turning off ad block would make the content creators stop complaining about us. But that's not how we need to be fixing this problem that we really shouldn't have let them do in the first place. I remember how Youtube was before this crap. There were ads under videos, and over the recommended section to the side. After that, nothing else. Then they slowly started getting more annoying and more annoying.

Not sure if your intent was to make me turn on AdBlock for your content but I just did.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

A 15second ad at the start of a 1.5hour stream is not going to break the bank. And if that is enough to bust your data cap then you stop watching 15 seconds before then end.  I think you can see how silly that argument is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i disable ABP on websites i really like such as Newegg.com, this website, Amazon.com, and a few others like Steam and a few game websites. i use it on shady websites or torrent websites where there are 5 different download buttons and i also use it on YT because i really don't care what people think of me, i want to watch videos without interruption or waiting time. plus i really despise YT anyway.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

i used to didnt care about ads on ltt but now i do ,enabled adblock.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

There's more than 6 youtubers that would be complaining, sure I don't know how to get everyone to get on the right track to fix this but content creators really need to stop being retarded and know where to go to fix this. Not just Linus, all of them. A lot of them are smart enough to know this, so why they continue to complain about their viewers blocking ads really baffles me.

And then we have people like the ones here going "you people need to turn off adblock cause it's bad for them waaaaaaaaaah" no stop being stupid and learn what the real problem is. Sure turning off ad block would make the content creators stop complaining about us. But that's not how we need to be fixing this problem that we really shouldn't have let them do in the first place. I remember how Youtube was before this crap. There were ads under videos, and over the recommended section to the side. After that, nothing else. Then they slowly started getting more annoying and more annoying.

Fucking YouTube, it's the center of this issue.

Now that you say all of this, Linus isn't properly watching his words or his direction.

@LinusTech, if you want to complain, you should direct that towards your advertisers and Google.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Jesus.

#SouthAfricaProblems

@Nicholas Marzio

A 15second ad at the start of a 1.5hour stream is not going to break the bank. And if that is enough to bust your data cap then you stop watching 15 seconds before then end.  I think you can see how silly that argument is.

Even if it is the last 15 seconds of a video that probably has nothing important in it, i'm watching that content not the ad. I don't want to miss part of a video i'm watching because of an ad. It's not that silly of an argument.

I use not just Adblock, but also Noscript. And no, I'm not turning them off or whitelisting them Because although I trust linustechtips.com, I do not trust newrelic.com, gstatic.com, ajax.googleapis.com, and countless other domains that are trying to constantly connect to me and run scripts that I didn't ever give permission to run when I go to this website. YouTube is worse, I don't want dozens of Google scripts running.

Calling people scum is incredibly simple minded.

Scriptsafe lets you choose which scripts go through and which ones don't. It even has a list of trusted and untrusted scripts in their database

The only script here that raises a red flag with Scriptsafe is googleads.g.doubleclick.net

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

It piles on buddy if you're watching his other content. You could simply enable it to block ads for a time then enable it back at the first of the month if you want him to earn some revenue to save some bandwidth. All-in-all the point is not insult others when a simple "Hey, granted he did and it sucks. But you gotta look from his view, you could whitelist, etc."

Fucking YouTube, it's the center of this issue.

Now that you say all of this, Linus isn't properly watching his words or his direction.

@LinusTech, if you want to complain, you should direct that towards your advertisers and Google.

It's not just youtube, but it's one of the bigger ones here. 

Wait wait wait. Your saying the WAN Show (and probablyTechQuickie) videos have YouTube ads in addition to built in sponsored content? What? 

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

When Linus decides to complain to the people supplying ads and get this problem fixed so people stop using ad block instead of calling us scum. Otherwise, if wont do that he and everyone else can stop bitching.

It is hardly any time to wait if it is an unskippable ad on YouTube. Not even 30 seconds at most. There is no need to adblock that unless you pride yourself in your own importance. The guys at LTT need to make money and you're helping to prevent them from doing so. So yes, I shall call you scum. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

You're taking money out of his pocket because you want to block ads. 

Oh please... There is a difference between taking money and not giving money.

And like 10 minutes spread out in the video ("sponsor spots"), and on the side of the video, and a popup in the video, and a banner in most part of the video.

It's not just a 15 second ad in a 1.5 hour stream.

Scriptsafe lets you choose which scripts go through and which ones don't. It even has a list of trusted and untrusted scripts in their database

The only script here that raises a red flag with Scriptsafe is googleads.g.doubleclick.net

Scriptsafe is just a Chrome version of NoScript except it lacks certain functionality because of Chrome's limitations).

I don't really care if Linus calls me scummy, just like I don't think he will care that I will call him ignorant about it or that his hatred is mostly irrational.

Even if it is the last 15 seconds of a video that probably has nothing important in it, i'm watching that content not the ad. I don't want to miss part of a video i'm watching because of an ad. It's not that silly of an argument.

It piles on buddy if you're watching his other content. You could simply enable it to block ads for a time then enable it back at the first of the month if you want him to earn some revenue to save some bandwidth. All-in-all the point is not insult others when a simple "Hey, granted he did and it sucks. But you gotta look from his view, you could whitelist, etc."

Come on guys, in order for that percentage of ad data versus content to become a serious cost to the user they would have to be watching a so much that the data caps would be busted anyway.  you're arguing that 5 meg of ads is preventing users from enjoying their 10G data allowance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.