What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia
5 minutes ago, wontruefree said:

I thought they employed kernel engineers and did some really cool integrations?

Nope, its all off the shelf stuff.

If i wanted a linux laptop, id probably go dell these days. They do write kernel stuff and you can get it preinstalled on the precisions.

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

A lot of the time it's just people blindly yelling, "Apple r scrubs. Apple suks."

They don't make bad products. It's just that a lot of the DIY community doesn't buy their products because the components are so locked down.

I can totally relate to this.

Yeah I get frustrated at apple sometimes but I guess there is just too much polarization for me.

I am curious though as the channel seems to be polarized without much comment so it seems un warranted.

I guess I think apple has a good product for some people and those people are making educated decisions.

14 minutes ago, SpencerBoughtAnXbox said:

Im going to be honest here. I dont like apple that much i only own one of there products and its an ipod. It serves its purpose. But when it comes down to the bigger products like the laptops and the imacs my school has they suck. Heres an example for you i bought an exteranl hard drive from seagate and for whatever reason it came formatted in NTFS  not that i was expecting it to be different. I go to the schools computer lab with my class and i have to present, the only thing is i couldnt. The apple peice of crap couldnt write to the hard drive so it freaked out on me and wouldnt boot the program. Long story short i failed and all because of apple not supporting a pretty standard format even my exFat wouldnt write. And this is why i dont like them. If you read through all this youre awesome and thanks for bering with me

Yeah man of course I read the whole thing.

Bummer I don't think they have the best product and each computer experience is littered with debugging and bugs.

and cross platform in most circumstances is not easy.

Tears for open office going away but that is a prime example.

9 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I think the ltt channel and thier community leans a little more on gaming and macs don't necessarily excel at that. While some will probably appreciate that in this community, most people here don't

That makes sense.  I am less into gaming these days but still really interested in hardware.  I love the pfsense build and virtualization stuff.  I would like to see more general computing builds.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nope, its all off the shelf stuff.

If i wanted a linux laptop, id probably go dell these days. They do write kernel stuff and you can get it preinstalled on the precisions.

Thanks I will probably be in the market for a new one next year.  I will put them on the top of my list.

I mean my mom told me that a apple a day , keeps the doctor away.....

so i asked her to buy me a mac. 

Jk ,honesty, I ''like' apple , There are some things that macs ( or iphones ) do well vs other devices, But lately , apple has been quite shit tbh.

every sense the '' tin can '' mac came out , the progress for desktop macs has stopped. They just do face lifts from time to time but its the same thing.

(⌐■_■) 

25 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Ignore company look at products.

Bingo. Too many people get all hung up on the companies past or other products. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Bingo. Too many people get all hung up on the companies past or other products. 

I mean to be talking about the current product.

the problem is that this community is really price per performance oriented, and linus is a general fanboy of things with features.

and unfortunately, as time goes on, apple seems to do worse and worse in both those categories. i mean, one can only do so much in a review about a laptop that literally has nothing else but a USB port, a headphone jack, a display, keyboard, touchpad, and the guts of a powerful tablet. furthermore the community doesnt really care about them because shit's expensive anyways :P

21 hours ago, wontruefree said:

I have been a primarily on linux for about 10 years and feel like apple is a good product.  I mean I have a lean because of the operating system.

But it seems like there is a lot of hate for apple on the channel and I think it seems unwarranted.

I mean I would love it if android was in a different place but I feel like as a complete system Apple has a lot to offer.

Also I would love to see a review of the new system76 laptops!

Cheers,

Jack

Here is the thing. Apple used to be innovative. Now, they photocopy ideas and claim their own without even having a better implementation. The company doesn't have a clear direction for its OS, where its GUI is getting a mess more and more at every release, and their products, while well made, are now all about locking Apple users in to make it very difficult to leave, and to push the sale of accessories (a lucrative business). All this, because Apple is loosing marketshare. They are loosing the grasp from people, as it is not able to continue to be innovative or bring interesting features. If Apple wants to keep its users, and GROW, they should always be at the forefront. They can't afford to sleep.

Products that were first release were polished in the past. You had a nice experience out of the box. Now they are filled with issues. This situation is only gets worse and worse every year. They don't care and have nor give any attention to its customers which their product aims at. Moreover, issues are quickly hidden, follows a draconian business model (say something bad in a review? Fine! No more review device for you. No more invited to any Apple event. You are ban for life!). The company has no proudness and lives off its fans.

For example: Before, MacBook Pro, provided you with this small form factor managed to put a dedicated graphics (remember, chips were hot at the time compared to now), have great battery life, great cooling, backlight keyboard, solid build quality, great everything for an amazing experience. Sure expensive, but the only place where you could get this full package, and was an easy and simple choice for the customer who seek the best. Now: Here is a laptop, it only has 1 port, nothing special, meh all around, other manufactures are more innovative, the look of the device has never been really touched, and it starts to look more and more outdated each year.

That is why people are harsh with Apple. You had this company, yes their product was expensive, but ignoring that, was pushing the industry forward. Now, it is sleeping and not doing anything. Not pushing the boundary of anything. Just creating inconvenience, taking advantage of its media attention and its users, and fans who defend their decisions. Fine at first (I mean a product can't please everyone, and Apple has its own market in any case). But now it reached to a point that there are 0 justifications, especially that other manufactures not only has products that are better in every way, like Apple did before, including quality, or at worst near that (again, for the same target segment.. obviously we are not talking about that 500$ laptop).

Apple used to push the industry forward. I mean, if it was not for Apple, we would probably be still be with those ugly ass beige boxes... ok maybe not in 2016.. but Apple sure did push things to get us nice looking systems as options in both laptop and desktops sooner. They showed that people cared about looks, at least to some level, and that could push sales. They pushed high specs and excellent cooling at the same time on other manufactures. They pushed great displays, they were daring in trying something new (different plastics (transparent, color, more durable), aluminum, glass)

Now... they have nothing... no thing to show.. people see this massive potential in Apple, but disappointments after disappointment are only released. It is like the company started with this massive R&D lab, now it is just a team of 5 people trying to think about ideas.

MacBook, 1 port, overheats, nothing special, nothing new to the table, we have better and more features rich device just as thin, and subjectively better looking, and same/similar build quality. The iPhone 7, the taptic engine vibrates the phones left and right making it uncomfortable to use due to the slippery metal texture they use, you feel like the phone can fall off, no headphone plug while other phones are just as thin, and more water proof have it, and have 0 compromise. Apple claims thinnest is important, but cuts battery instead of cutting display thickness, which they can, by a lot, by switching to OLED display, especially that these days OLED has solved many of its drawbacks like: image retention, color shifting over time, low brightness, and cost. All in order to push their battery cover, or have people switch to the new iPhone sooner, as the battery wear over a year make it deliver insufficient battery life for most (over time, battery life reduces). There is no iPhone 7 on display beside the Apple store. Why hiding the device? Maybe to not see the issues listed (I went to the Apple store and have a look). Maybe to have a mass number of people around to make it look interesting. I don't know... but it isn't like Apple. Apple usually LOVES people to touch, anywhere, their system, and feel them. So what is going on now?

Apple users should be angry and demand more from Apple. Competition is good! Consumers who like Apple ecosystem, deserves better. Apple talent that the company had in the past with the ability to offer great experiences, new features, all in a very simple matter, is disappearing. Yes yes, you didn't have jam pack number of features, but that is the point. You have what most really needs. Now, to me, it feels like that they don't push innovation because they are afraid, have 0 courage to determine what should be there or not, and how to present it. Apple claiming "Courage" for removing the headphone plug is a sign that they have 0 courage. A courageous person, doesn't need to say that they are courageous. Their action defines that already. Here it doesn't. Business wise, it is great! More accessories to sell. But against consumers.

That is what I can conclude based on my observations currently.

I don't "hate" Apple. I just hate artificial constrains and limitations. This are very prevalent in OSX and iOS sure but is not like Android and Windows don't have their set of bullshit rules for no good reason.

Apple gets called out for their arrogance in assuming they know better than their users. They're more akin to fashion designers than technology makers: We determine what's the trend, what looks best, you plebs just buy this fabulously looking, rose gold phone and be glad we were oh so kind to give it to you! *throws scarf over shoulder*

-------

Current Rig

-------

Because every product I ever got from them were absolute crap. iPod Nano died prematurely, iPad Mini is a now a paper weight thanks to Apple forcing iOS 8 when I had to recover it.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

There is a lot of hate on Apple here because this forum (and the youtube channel in general) is focused very heavily on custom-built PCs and PC gaming. As neither of these things are markets Apple is particularly interested in, people here don't generally try or buy Apple products.

That being said, there is a lot of unfiltered hatred toward Apple because very few people here use Apple products (because the users are more interested in gaming and custom building) and so they denounce Apple simply because they do not extend into the custom/gaming market.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

MacBook, 1 port, over heats, nothing special, nothing new to the table, we have better and more features rich device just as thin, and subjectively better looking.

My UX305FA is basically the same thing and never thermal throttles. Pretty much a better, thinner machine all around with plenty of ports.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

55 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the problem is that this community is really price per performance oriented, and linus is a general fanboy of things with features.

and unfortunately, as time goes on, apple seems to do worse and worse in both those categories. i mean, one can only do so much in a review about a laptop that literally has nothing else but a USB port, a headphone jack, a display, keyboard, touchpad, and the guts of a powerful tablet. furthermore the community doesnt really care about them because shit's expensive anyways :P

The price performance comment is a good point.

However the linux thing is unfair.

In many environments that I work in even if you could buy windows you would not want it.

It is actually a very "different" operating system and is horribly not performant in some ways.

It totally depends on what you are doing.

Just now, wontruefree said:

However the linux thing is unfair.

linus, i didnt mention anything linux ;)

@GoodBytes

Thank you I enjoyed reading your post.

I think I would tend to lean a little less to 0 justification but I enjoyed the breakdown.

Cheers,

Jack

1 hour ago, SpencerBoughtAnXbox said:

Im going to be honest here. I dont like apple that much i only own one of there products and its an ipod. It serves its purpose. But when it comes down to the bigger products like the laptops and the imacs my school has they suck. Heres an example for you i bought an exteranl hard drive from seagate and for whatever reason it came formatted in NTFS  not that i was expecting it to be different. I go to the schools computer lab with my class and i have to present, the only thing is i couldnt. The apple peice of crap couldnt write to the hard drive so it freaked out on me and wouldnt boot the program. Long story short i failed and all because of apple not supporting a pretty standard format even my exFat wouldnt write. And this is why i dont like them. If you read through all this youre awesome and thanks for bering with me

You should've known Unix based OSs don't support NTFS or exFAT. But FAT32 would work, and 4gb should be big enough for school.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

You should've known Unix based OSs don't support NTFS or exFAT. But FAT32 would work, and 4gb should be big enough for school.

i hadnt worked with unix based products much and didnt know please dont assume that othe rpeople know what you do

15 minutes ago, SpencerBoughtAnXbox said:

i hadnt worked with unix based products much and didnt know please dont assume that othe rpeople know what you do

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so aggressive. But it's always helpful to do some research before you submit an assignment.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Their software is restrictive and platform limited, and they are not priced near what their low specs are

Also I hated steve jobs on a personal level, though now that he's dead that portion of my dislike of apple is gone

(oh and many people who swear by apple have been d-bags to me)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Apple really doesnt do anything bad, but theyr smartphones are simply extremely simple to use and powerful overhaul. As far as other products go, they make them really good, but they seem to forget to "update" the hardware of them at some point in life, whereas software updates are the only thing that allows them to stay adrift most of time. I dont see anything wrong with them, aside from the pricepoints ofc. Support is great and so is quality out of the box (shipping and handling post purchase, safety concerns inside the box that is and unboxing experience is top notch).

Groomlake Authority

I wouldent say hate... But i avoid it. I dont know how to use their OS. I dont want to learn it either.

Its overpriced. Like expensive clothes brand however that is warranted in some cases. Thats the biggest dealbreaker for me.

Also some business strategy seems shady. I heard about planned obsolescence of first iphones. I also heard its expensive / harder to repair products.

Not something i want to get involved in.

As an artist, Mac OS is the best for flow and such, as a non-artist, Windows OS is the best. 

Hardware wise, as many people have said, it seriously lags behind where new tech currently is. I suggest building a machine and then booting Mac OS to it, since you'll get a better bang for your buck.

"Better to be bad at video games than mad at video games" - BadAtVideogamesMan

18 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

What do you do when you need to transfer something bigger than 4gb like a zip file or movie, iso, etc.? 

Also think about it from a typical user perspective. You put a file on a hard drive and now you want to use it from your other computer. They don't understand what hard drive formats are so it wouldn't even be in their mind that there would be an issue. 

11 hours ago, DogeOfTech said:

As an artist, Mac OS is the best for flow and such, as a non-artist, Windows OS is the best. 

Hardware wise, as many people have said, it seriously lags behind where new tech currently is. I suggest building a machine and then booting Mac OS to it, since you'll get a better bang for your buck.

Just curious, what in particular makes mac OS better for artists? 

11 hours ago, DogeOfTech said:

Well put.

I might add some other occupations but +1.

10 hours ago, bobhays said:

Just curious, what in particular makes mac OS better for artists? 

I would say there are multiple professions where Mac is better OS not just being an artist.