Release now, fix later - Cities Skylines 2 Barely playable on mortal PCs

Arika

Summary

Cities Skylines 1 had a..less that optimal launch but quickly became the city builder of choice for many people after the abysmal Sim City 2013. But it seems like CS2 is on track to be even worse. it has already been confirmed that it will not be releasing with mod support, something that kept the first game interesting for so long, but now pre-release testing has reportedly shown the game to run at 7-12fps on an i9 13900KS with a 7900XTX at 4k high settings and a 4090 not even able to hit 80fps at 1080p low settings on the old recommended 5600x as the system requirements were suddenly changed at the end of september. Keeping in mind the game is launching in a few days.

Quotes

Cities Skylines 2 will release in a few days and from the looks of it, it will be one of the worst-optimized PC games of 2023. According to some early benchmarks, this new city builder runs with 7-12fps on an Intel Core i9 13900KS with an AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX at 4K/High Settings.

PCGamesHardware got access to the game and shared some early benchmarks. And, as we can see, the game performs horribly on AMD’s most powerful GPU.

At 4K/High Settings, the game can drop to 7fps and usually averages at 12fps. Even with AMD FSR 1.0 at 50% resolution scale, the game cannot come close to 30fps. Let me repeat that. With AMD FSR 1.0 at 50%, so basically with an internal resolution at 1080p, Cities Skylines 2 runs at 25fps on the AMD RX 7900XTX. Ouch.

It’s also worth noting that Colossal Order warned everyone about these PC performance issues. In a shocking statement, the team stated that while it has not achieved the benchmark it was targeting, it will go ahead and release the game. And, to be honest, I really feel sorry about the developers. This decision was made by the management and not by the ones working on it.

1080p results

Spoiler

image.png.7dfac920a68a32a58de7129222763f4b.png

1440p results:

Spoiler

image.png.8f27b56abc6cd69c545f41a000dc15bf.png

My thoughts

Unfortunately they know about this, but their management don't care and are making them ship it regardless, the epitome of "release now fix later", but given how badly CS1 still runs, don't hold out too much hope for amazing optimizations to come out any time soon

another video from City Planer Plays took figures on fps at different population levels at 4k with a 7950x3d and 4090

Population 1K: 52fps
Population 10K: 34fps
Population 25K: 28fps
Population 50K: 27fps
Population 75K: 25fps
Population 100K: 24fps

the full data can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIUokAXWOvHYsVZzJv7Skju5oKgm0-r4/edit#gid=1737240722

So if you're thinking of picking up this game, dont expect to play it on anything other than low-medium if you want anything other than a slideshow if you're running anything higher than 1080p

Sources

source of text

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/cities-skylines-2-reportedly-runs-with-7-12fps-on-an-intel-core-i9-13900ks-with-amd-radeon-rx-7900xtx-at-4k-high-settings/

source of images and original testing

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cities-Skylines-2-Spiel-74219/Tests/Release-Benchmarks-Performance-Tuning-Tipps-1431613/2/

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I had seen this issue in pre release builds in those short 30m videos already where mid vid the game started to look worse and the framerate dipped too.

Until it got so bad in some games that I wasn't sure if my youtube was lagging or the game was just running badly.

I doubt this is ever going to be fixed considering the state cities skylines 1 is still in.

7 minutes ago, Arika said:

Unfortunately they know about this, but their management don't care and are making them ship it regardless

Its Paradox. What do you expect?

They go with EA nightmare model but for genres that are so deathly niche that you cant go anywhere else.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Ouch.

I've been enjoying the original game for the past week or so, for it runs decently on my laptop.

I was looking forward to the sequel, but don't think I can justify the price if it'll only run decently on my desktop.

44 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

They go with EA nightmare model but for genres that are so deathly niche that you cant go anywhere else.

I didn't know about Paradox's operational practices.

So, Colossal Order is the developer and a surprisingly small studio (30 people as of 2022, as Wikipedia has it);  Paradox pushed this small studio for an unrealistic launch date for a very complex game?

Sig under construction.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

It's perfectly optimized for your next gaming PC!

If it's mostly CPU-bound (which would make sense), would running the game's backend on a cloud instance somewhere not too distant perhaps be worthwhile for gamers with lesser machines?

I remember this-ish being one of the failed marketing points of the Xbox One a decade ago.

Sig under construction.

I'm a little confused. Given that it's a sim game, I would (naievely) assume it would be more CPU heavy than GPU heavy, so is this actually a graphics issue or a CPU issue with how the game runs? Given the abysmal performance at even 1080p (equivalent) I would assume the latter?

Ah nvm, I misread the article completely and "very low"seems to reach decent frames. Not a great start for the game.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

If it's mostly CPU-bound (which would make sense), would running the game's backend on a cloud instance somewhere not too distant perhaps make sense?

I remember this-ish being one of the failed marketing points of the Xbox One a decade ago.

Yeah, but if local system is crippled so much with simulation, imagine what kind of compute clusters they'd have to be running "in the cloud" to power the play of hundreds of thousands of players?

43 minutes ago, Tedster said:

So, Colossal Order is the developer and a surprisingly small studio (30 people as of 2022, as Wikipedia has it);  Paradox pushed this small studio for an unrealistic launch date for a very complex game?

CO have made a lot of great games and as far as I'm concerned Paradox is usually a good publisher too.

Battletech (amazing), Steel Division (great), Age of Wonders Planet Fall (good, technically great, just not my fav AOW), Age of Wonders III (great), Stellaris (great), Cities Skylines (great, need traffic mods lol).

1 hour ago, Arika said:

So if you're thinking of picking up this game, dont expect to play it on anything other than low-medium if you want anything other than a slideshow if you're running anything higher than 1080p

Me: [stare at my Ryzen 5 5600, RX 5500 XT 8GB, 32GB RAM] Nah...

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

22 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, but if local system is crippled so much with simulation, imagine what kind of compute clusters they'd have to be running "in the cloud" to power the play of hundreds of thousands of players?

My mind wants to adventure a few places, but going there purely in speculation.

I have a feeling (unsubstantiated) that large quantities of cache will benefit Cities: Skylines 2 massively. For the original game, there's a claim of 40-50% improvement.

The 3D V-Cache EPYC CPUs and the recent Xeons with HBM on-package could massively increase performance, especially if the engine were tweaked for it

If they were able to run multiple game instances in the same instance of the engine, this might improve efficiency -- always have every needed segment of code in cache, perhaps even all of the frequently-accessed data for each game. They could also have in RAM the information required about each available base map, just acting upon each game's deviation from it.

Consider also that the remote machine isn't capable of rendering, thus doesn't care whatsoever about that pipeline: draw calls, textures, shaders...which I feel is probably about half of the battle in CPU usage for such a game, with so much going on on-screen when not zoomed in.

...But yes, it'd still cost a lot.

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

CO have made a lot of great games and as far as I'm concerned Paradox is usually a good publisher too.

Battletech (amazing), Steel Division (great), Ages of Wonders Planet Fall (good, technically great, just not my fav AOW), Age of Wonders III (great), Stellaris (great), Cities Skylines (great, need traffic mods lol).

I see. Of those, I've only played Cities: Skylines.

Apart from CS, were those games all launched in a good state?

Sig under construction.

Then just play CS1 and give this one a year and a 50% discount whilst the beta testers early buyers pay paradox to do their bug catching job

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

23 minutes ago, Tedster said:

My mind wants to adventure a few places, but going there purely in speculation.

I have a feeling (unsubstantiated) that large quantities of cache will benefit Cities: Skylines 2 massively. For the original game, there's a claim of 40-50% improvement.

The 3D V-Cache EPYC CPUs and the recent Xeons with HBM on-package could massively increase performance, especially if the engine were tweaked for it

I'm not really sure about this Cloud discussion? Like the games aren't running in Cloud or anything like that, it's all local render and computation on PC and Console so?

And if it's about any multiplayer aspects then that has literally nothing to do with the game local CPU performance and demands.

But it's strictly single-player so??

Just now, leadeater said:

I'm not really sure about this Cloud discussion? Like the games aren't running in Cloud or anything like that, it's all local render and computation on PC and Console so?

And if it's about any multiplayer aspects then that has literally nothing to do with the game local CPU performance and demands.

But it's strictly single-player so??

I was speculating on the idea that, to make the game more accessible to players with lesser hardware, the game's backend processing could potentially be split and handled by machines on cloud instances, as was one of the marketing points for the potential for games on the Xbox One that never really materialized.

I did not say anything to imply that the game was, or would be, run in the cloud, and also did not imply the existence or creation of multiplayer Cities: Skylines gameplay.

Sig under construction.

21 minutes ago, Tedster said:

I was speculating on the idea that, to make the game more accessible to players with lesser hardware, the game's backend processing could potentially be split and handled by machines on cloud instances, as was one of the marketing points for the potential for games on the Xbox One that never really materialized.

Ah I see, don't worry wasn't just you talking about it, figured I'd ask.

Funnily enough Cloud CPU would actually be slower, desktop CPUs clock significantly higher and allow a lot more power per CPU core so all core clocks are much higher as well. Even the highest end EPYCs and Xeons would struggle to deliver performance the same or greater than current or last gen mid range CPU.

The game streaming services that have existed a lot of the time just use rack-mounted desktop systems that we all typically buy, rather than multiple instances on a big server CPU. Right now the economics of game streaming is exceedingly poor, it's a good way to light your money on fire heh, and I'm not convinced that's going to change in the next decade either for demanding game titles.

Edit:

For example a 12600K is 25%-30% faster than a 7713 in single thread and light multithread workloads and the frequency optimized 8 core 72F3 only reduces that margin to 10%-12%. ~10600K or older/slower is the point where it would start to offer better performance.

7 hours ago, SorryBella said:

Stellaris is a prime example 😄

Great game fot the first 50 years after that normal, fast and fastest are the same. A bit further and slowest is the same as fastest :p.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Stellaris is a prime example 😄

Great game fot the first 50 years after that normal, fast and fastest are the same. A bit further and slowest is the same as fastest :p.

HEY! I love playing games at 17FPS 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm used to sub-20 fps in CS1 at times due to CPU limitations, but thanks to native G-sync it's fine and responsive. This game doesn't require a high fps, so with a good VRR display, latency should be manageable even at lower fps. Operating outside of VRR range might suck though.

As I've been away on the weekend I've only caught up with CPP's testing. I would caution he's an IRL city planner, not a benchmarker, so even if he did manage to get some data on various configurations I'd treat it with some caution on how to really optimise.

I've preordered CS2 and presume it'll unlock sometime late on Tuesday on Steam. Will do my own testing then.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

HEY! I love playing games at 17FPS 

isnt that what that starfox game on SNES was running at? Perfectly acceptable cinematic experience!  (also any faster and you probably couldn't beat it lol) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

"Release now, fix later" isn't this the current gaming business model?

I stopped buying games at release because of this years ago. I wait until the major patch is released and buy the game on sale, I get a win/win, a game that runs and reduced price. 👍

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

59 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

"Release now, fix later" isn't this the current gaming business model?

I stopped buying games at release because of this years ago. I wait until the major patch is released and buy the game on sale, I get a win/win, a game that runs and reduced price. 👍

iirc there was an NVidia rep who said that a large chunk of games were released without calling some API calls in the correct order etc.  So when they released they were all buggy or didn't work right..then the "driver" fixes came out for the game which effectively rewrote what they did to make it actually call things correctly.

It's a really unfortunate state that we have reached where games are pushed out the door so fast.  I miss the days where a game was designed to work on moderate hardware (but had the option of looking spectacular on high powered hardware).  Instead it seems like they are pushing the "limits" without actually making basic level gameplay as good anymore

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Running the game on the Steam Deck should be a minimum requirement

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition