New leak offers surprising details about Windows’ future

JAKEBAB
Microsoft may already be working on quite a few different Windows-related products and some of them are pretty surprising. Myce rdirects our attention to a leaked image posted by a well-known Chinese leaker on Neowin showing that Microsoft is already working on several Windows 9 builds including a mobile Windows Phone 9 version, and could soon launch a cloud-based operating system dubbed Windows 365, a name that’s similar to its Office 365 subscription-based productivity suite.

In addition to Windows 9 and Windows 365 mentions, the leak lists current products, including Office 2013 and Windows 8.1, but also upcoming updates, such as Windows 8.1 Update 2 and Office 2015.

So it looks like microsoft isnt going to let google get away with there chrome os market and windows phone 9 now i dont even know weither to get a windows phone or wait by the time my plan finished windows phone 9 will hopefully be out.

Cloud based? Subscription? I hate these models for software, I'd rather pay a once off up front as I use office and operating system software for 5+ years usually.

Cloud based? What if someone has a crappy connection (or no connection at all)?

Intel Core i5 3570K@4.5GHz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 2*TEAM 8GB DDR3-1600@CL9-9-9-27 | Inno3D GTX 660 HerculeZ 2000s@1200MHz Core 6600MHz Memory | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Antec Kühler H2O 620 | Antec HCG-620 | CoolerMaster Elite 371

Acer Iconia W700: Intel Core i5 3337U | 4GB DDR3 | 120GB SSD | 11.6" 1080p Display

So what, they're surprised they're working on Windows 9? Wtf else would the be doing? Windows 8 will soon be 2 years old so I would expect nothing else than them working on the next Windows.

I love how microsoft might go subscription for their OS, when Apple just goes free

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Gaben quickly start the rapture and take the gamers with you to Linux !

to any opengl system really

to any opengl system really

which is every OS

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Looks like Windows 7 is here to stay.

Linux hurry up!

Windows 8 will soon be 2 years old

Wow, how time has passed...

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I love how microsoft might go subscription for their OS, when Apple just goes free

Well... Apple earns money from their hardware sales, while Microsoft hardly sells any [PC] hardware for profits. Hence the different approaches.

Cheers,

Linus

Well... Apple earns money from their hardware sales, while Microsoft hardly sells any [PC] hardware for profits. Hence the different approaches.

I understand that, but instead of perhaps reducing pricing, or trying to do something competitive they plan to make it subscription? something nobody asked for

Sometimes I question WTF Microsoft are doing, I don't think they seem to get it. these last couple of years they just seem to be ballsing things up by misunderstanding what their customers want. They did it with windows 8, with RT,  xbox one and now with OS pricing. I swear they live in La La Land sometimes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

which is every OS

what you mean? if we had only opengl and no closed systems, everything would work on every system and stuff

what you mean? if we had only opengl and no closed systems, everything would work on every system and stuff

yeah what i meant was

when steam os exists beta we will not be tied to windows anymore

and maybe linux in general can mature as a desktop os (become the norm)

till then ill stick to win7

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm guessing the cloud based windows is where you can basically get the newest windows OS for a subscription price. Maybe yearly or monthly subscription. Not a bad idea for people who use Mac and just want to check out the new windows or need windows for a short time for a certain program or project. Maybe for the people who want the most updated system every year so a subscription based would make more sense for them.

This is just bringing the enterprise scale virtual desktops to the regular person.

If they do it right you will be able to just login with your browser on any computer and have yourself your own virtual pc with all the software you subscribe to.

I also wonder what they will change with the start screen "modern style interface" in windows 9

Virtual desktops are nothing new, many companies have had this tech for years. They're pointless for an actual desktop, but incredibly useful for mobile devices like laptops and tablets.

I got to use VDIs a few years ago, and the battery life on a product like that is phenomenal. Plus, if your device gets stolen, you don't lose any data because it's all hosted in a datacenter somewhere.

I wouldn't mind Microsoft offering both a standalone model and a cloud-based one so we can at least choose which one we want.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/windows-9-2014-5

Microsoft might be preparing to give the public its first taste of Windows 9 between the second and third quarters of 2015, according to a newly leaked document.

Tech blog Myce has obtained a leaked internal Microsoft document from a source in China known as FaiKee.

The document, first spotted on Myce's website by Windows blog WinBeta, lists both Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9 as scheduled for a release preview between Q2 and Q3 2015. 

A release preview is exactly what its name suggests. It's a nearly finished version of the software that the public gets to mess around with before the official launch. 

Well, we all knew that the latest version of Windows was coming eventually, because Microsoft releases a new version around every 3 years or so. So this doesn't surprise me, but I'm glad that we're starting to get some info about it, even if it's just a leak.

So let's see...Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9 on the way. Should be interesting to see what Microsoft brings to the table, especially after Windows 8. 

windows9leak-1.png

COMIC SANS

nice find, though i hope the MS cycle keeps going so W9 better be good as W7 or better

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Ugh, more Metro UI crap.

I don't mind it, so long as Microsoft executes it right. Give users the option to use the Metro UI or not. And if not, then have the OS act like Windows 7 and versions prior to it (as in, you don't have to deal with Metro UI). I will say this though: I like the idea of the Metro app store/Microsoft store (or whatever you want to call it). Just let me run those Metro apps are desktop applications and all will be fine.

COMIC SANS

I don't mind it, so long as Microsoft executes it right. Give users the option to use the Metro UI or not. And if not, then have the OS act like Windows 7 and versions prior to it (as in, you don't have to deal with Metro UI). I will say this though: I like the idea of the Metro app store/Microsoft store (or whatever you want to call it). Just let me run those Metro apps are desktop applications and all will be fine.

next W8.1 update should fix this,

also, since we are talking about metro, is that i find weird and odd microsoft decided to use horizontal scrolling in apps, not even android an iOS does that, even on a tablet or mobile must feels kinda intuitive :/ 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here