New leak offers surprising details about Windows’ future

JAKEBAB

To all of you commenting "Don't complain change is good" why don't you change to Linux instead? For your full "daily driver" and such. Every time Linux is brought up it's always the same assumptions of when they last tried Linux as a daily driver 6 or 7 years ago. You're not really edgy and cool for trying Windows 8, you're just giving into the status quo, buying whatever bullshit Microsoft tries to sell you.

-------

Current Rig

-------

metro ui? dafuq? this feature bollocks should be disabled for desktop users!

i'm sticking with win7, it's easily the best OS ever made after XP and it simply performs better than win8!

Metro UI isn't even the reason i hate Win8, i get nothing but driver issues with win8, the hardware/software i'm using isn't even that old. The drivers i download claim to be win8 compatible yet i get BSOD's so hard it corrupts all my hdd (yes i've tried buying new hdd's) and lose all my data (except the photos i keep on a external hdd). None of these issues happen on win7 and i've used the win8 drivers on win7 and it works just fine.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

ORLY?

Got a link?

Yes, I use it and I actually forgot there is some Metro UI in Win8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

The only way to do Metro right is if they integrate it into the desktop. Making it a separate thing was a stupid idea. When I open up a photo it shouldn't take me out of the environment I was in. So no matter how different they are in the background, if the metro apps behave exactly the same as any other Windows application in their presentation there would be no problem.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't mind it, so long as Microsoft executes it right. Give users the option to use the Metro UI or not. And if not, then have the OS act like Windows 7 and versions prior to it (as in, you don't have to deal with Metro UI). I will say this though: I like the idea of the Metro app store/Microsoft store (or whatever you want to call it). Just let me run those Metro apps are desktop applications and all will be fine.

That's all I care about, just being able to bypass it. It's mainly for touch users and I'm not a fan of touch screens. It seems relatively simple to implement as well.

If you even cared you would know you can get almost completely rid of it in Win8 by installing one simple addon.

I don't want to use an add-on I just want the feature to be in there, it doesn't seem to difficult really. I know about startisback and classic shell but I'd rather have it as a Windows feature.

For those who worry. Windows 9 will be more enterprise and power user focused.

How do I know? Because it nearly been always been that way.

Microsoft knows that businesses follows a 6 year upgrade cycle. So they work on core/big changes, and then focuses on businesses and power users.

Shouldn't it be Windows 9, Server and Mobile not Windows 9 and Server and Mobile. Microsoft should employ some English teachers.

Well, it's a Chinese leak. Those Asians are well known for their less than perfect understanding of English.

Microsoft knows that businesses follows a 6 year upgrade cycle. So they work on core/big changes, and then focuses on businesses and power users.

Sadly, if that is true, there wouldn't be any businesses/banks/governments still running XP, doing jack squat for moving away from it.

i thought the 8.1 update 1 allowed you to run apps in windowed mode? the ui isnt all that bad especially the all programs its just the way you get thrown into apps that i didnt like it felt so disjointed

win8 - metro > windows 7

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

i thought the 8.1 update 1 allowed you to run apps in windowed mode? t

8.1 Update 2 (or 8.2, depending on how they will call it)

with MS's trend, I'm hoping Win 9 is way better than Win 8. Just like how Win 7 is to Vista.

...though I'm starting to love Win 8 already. 

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

The whole point is: will microsoft get their s**t together and give us the option of not using modern/metro ui or whatever it's name is, or not?

if not, I'm sticking with windows 7. if yes, and it's not another vista, I will gladly upgrade.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yes, I use it and I actually forgot there is some Metro UI in Win8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

http://www.classicshell.net/ is also really good.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

I still can't use W8 because of a hard drive bug that won't go away, even on 8.1 it still occurs.

W9? ALREADY!? GG, Microsoft.

I have a strong feeling that my school district will be stuck on XP and 7 for a while if they keep up with the "Modern UI" crap.

If you're seriously going to implement something like this, then have it set to default but give us the OPTION to disable it. I personally won't touch it and neither will my IT Department.

What hard drive bug is that?

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Allow a freaking higher amount of RAM for normal users this time.

Windows 7 - 192 MAX (Ultimate)

Windows 8 - 128 (Standard) (Enterprise & Professional get 512 GB)

Yay, I hope its as good as all their previous stuff. I'm not actually joking

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

As a slap in the face to all uf us that want the start menu back they return to the windows me gui. lol god I hope not

Don't really care about W9, by then all AAA titles will be available on Linux (I can dream right?), which is free, and actully works properly, and then we wont have to pay M$ for something mediocre :P

If they try to force me into something completely different again, they can go screw themselves...This should seriously be the last chance, and then the gaming industry should just abandon them. (Won't happen but would be cool)

For me Windows 7 and prior feel outdated.

People hate change. Same people that hated taskbar introduced with Windows 95 and that hated Ribbon UI in Office 2007.

Once you get a grip with Windows 8 you can see why some people (like me) prefer it.

For instance, Win+X shortcut is something I can't live without anymore. Also, I found myself using Modern UI apps on my PC, laptop and tablet because they are not bad and are usable, especially after WIndows 8.1 Update 1.

Faster boot, faster and prettier interface (IMHO), easier to organise, lower memory consumption, OneDrive and app/settings sync (God blessed feature)...

Of course, disadvantages are that in core Windows is still bloated mess. I hate dealing with that huge WinSxS folder, stupid bugs that are present for generations (like that stupid Notepad status bar bug and Recycle Bin properties), messy Registry...  Microsoft should make even more lightweight OS that doesnt support legacy apps (prior Windows Vista) with less messed up Registry and to FINALLY replace those ugly Aero icons with Modern ones.

Uhhhh look at me.,....im so superior, if you just tried it, you would realize that too.....don't you think its possible that we just use different stuff than you do or have a different perspective? Really arrogant to claim that we are just deluding our

Listen dude, I used W8 for six months. I will simply not have that crap. I use my pc for work, and games and you know what? I should not fucking have to change the entire way I do stuff because microsofts wants to get a piece of the tablet market.

They could have given you everything you wanted in a new system and given me the option to say NO.....but they again went to the typical microsoft playbook of trying to force everything on everybody.

And these are not the same people that hated the taskbar. Microsoft fucked up and they know it hence bringing in a new ceo and bringing Gates back. This isn't just about the taskbar. Its about the entire way of using your system that has fundamentally changed without giving the users any option what so ever.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Hopefully MS are planning a good old fashioned start menu to go along with it. Unless W9 is exceptional, I'll be sticking with W7 for a long time to come.

Does Microsoft even listen to their consumers? We don't want shitty ass metro ui, leave that on phones and tablets.

Don't really care about W9, by then all AAA titles will be available on Linux (I can dream right?), which is free, and actully works properly, and then we wont have to pay M$ for something mediocre :P

Windows wouldn't be soo bad if they sold it for $20 and they would still be making a fortune because it will cause less people to pirate it at such a low cost.

If they try to force me into something completely different again, they can go screw themselvesI should not fucking have to change the entire way I do stuff

Wahhh, the Start menu is slightly different, bigger, and usable for once! How dare u do dis Microsoft!? WAAAAHHHH

Seriously. The START MENU, that one thing that tons of people normally didn't even use to begin with because desktop and taskbar shortcuts, was the only big change to anything actually relevant for desktop users on Windows 8. The desktop experience is pretty much the exact same - with some optimizations -, and you don't need to use metro apps for anything AT ALL (This, I'll admit sucks: metro apps are redundant and completely awful on a PC, BUT, you don't need to use them for anything, ever; you still have your desktop programs).

This is why I'm almost entirely sure that about 99% of the people that talk smack about Windows 8 just do so because it's the cool thing to do, and also why I just can't take them seriously at all.

If they try to force me into something completely different again, they can go screw themselves...

Yeah, we should all still be using DOS.

*facepalm*

Does Microsoft even listen to their consumers? We don't want shitty ass metro ui, leave that on phones and tablets.

Microsoft believe in a unified experience, where if you know how to use either their phone or Windows or Windows on tablets, you know how to use it all.

If Microsoft listened to customer, which were complaining non stop on how Microsoft is dead, because they can't innovate on anything, and saying that they are so not innovative, not even bad idea comes out, and that Windows works and acts the same, then we would still be back in the DOS days. Because all the complaining you guys are doing, is identical to the Windows 95 start menu and task bar. And how people don't want mouses. It's funny how things turns out when you decide to be more open minded and giving things a change, and actually decide to learn something new. Sure its not perfect, neither the Start Menu. But it worked.

However, there will be a Start Menu coming to Windows 8 in a later update. It will be a start menu with live tiles to lunch Metro Apps, and desktop apps. But it will be a Start Menu. And that is part of Microsoft focusing on enterprise and power user for Windows 9, they are just bringing it early for windows 8 users, cause many people are close minded. So it takes time to develop it, but it is coming.