New leak offers surprising details about Windows’ future

JAKEBAB

next W8.1 update should fix this,

also, since we are talking about metro, is that i find weird and odd microsoft decided to use horizontal scrolling in apps, not even android an iOS does that, even on a tablet or mobile must feels kinda intuitive :/ 

Ya, I know the next update is fixing this, and I am very happy about that. 

I don't see the horizontal scrolling as a big deal - if you're using Windows 8 on a touch screen device. If not, then yes, it's not really the best. 

COMIC SANS

I just got Windows 8 not too long ago, bah hopefully they give free updates for surface pro 3's.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I still can't use W8 because of a hard drive bug that won't go away, even on 8.1 it still occurs.

W9? ALREADY!? GG, Microsoft.

I have a strong feeling that my school district will be stuck on XP and 7 for a while if they keep up with the "Modern UI" crap.

If you're seriously going to implement something like this, then have it set to default but give us the OPTION to disable it. I personally won't touch it and neither will my IT Department.

Just give us the option to opt out.

If they do, I might actually buy it. Otherwise, I'm sticking with Classic Shell8.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

More Modern UI please. It is a joy to use once you decide to learn how to use it.

Shame people refuse to learn it.

And why people are shocked by this news? Every 3 years a new Windows.

Windows 10 will be 3 years after Windows 9. simple.

More Modern UI please. It is a joy to use once you decide to learn how to use it.

For as long as it works and we're not all forced to use it, hence the option to turn it off. Seriously, Linux adoption can't increase fast enough.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Shouldn't it be Windows 9, Server and Mobile not Windows 9 and Server and Mobile. Microsoft should employ some English teachers.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Ugh, more Metro UI crap. Hopefully you can turn it off this time around. I can't stay on Windows 7 forever.

If you even cared you would know you can get almost completely rid of it in Win8 by installing one simple addon.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

<snip>

I've heard of the bug before, but what exactly does it do? 

100% agree. The start menu now holds A LOT more programs which makes for easy access to every program that you have. I personally don't use it that often, but I think it's a great feature nonetheless. 

The searching function on Windows 8.1 IS a little bugged- I have to admit. An example is a program I have called TreeSize. It will never show up when I search for it in the Win 8.1 Start Menu which is VERY frustrating. I have to keep the program on my Desktop which is horrible because of how clean I like to keep my desktop. That's honestly the only program that I've had the issue with though.

Other than that, the start menu in terms of search works exactly same. You hit the Windows key and just start typing- and BOOM! You have your search results. 

I've heard of the bug before, but what exactly does it do? 

For whatever reason, whenever I start up ANYTHING hard drive intensive, it starts going haywire and makes my hard drive and SSD's run at a constant 100%. This makes my games run at half the FPS as they should.

I can't use it. I've installed it three times, I've even pirated it just to see if it was my disc or from Microsoft's end. It's probably something with my SATA controller, but I've updated my BIOS to the latest possible, installed all the latest drivers each time, hell I've even reinstalled Steam and some games and it still happens.

I'm just sticking with Windows 7 until W9 comes out, maybe then they'll have fixed whatever is causing this.

I'm curious, what is there to learn?

Personally, I never go anywhere near the modern UI, it brings nothing to the table. For a mouse and keyboard user, I don't see any good reason to use the modern apps or UI.

What am I missing here?

I don't care.. I love Windows 8.1 ... and will love 9 :)

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

If metro turns off for desktops I may upgrade, otherwise I will likely stay on 7 for as long as possible.

If you even cared you would know you can get almost completely rid of it in Win8 by installing one simple addon.

people hate it on PRINCIPLE.  there's actually nothing technically bad with win8 at all that you can't undo.

why people do this?  i don't know.  it's pretty much become scientology 2 at this point.

ORLY?

Got a link?

I'm going to stick with tradition of upgrading every other OS update. Vista days of being in the middle of new that wasn't ironed out...never again. I've heard 8.1 fixed gripes people had with Win8 and Win9 should have things ironed out so I can have a modern OS again.

If Win8 works fine for you, good. But please stop preaching about it like you're some kind of cultist. "Do it do it do it" isn't going to sway anyone's opinion to suddenly fall in love with Win8. You just come off sounding pushy. If someone prefers Win7 to Win8, leave them alone about their OS choice.

I use the Start menu solely for typing cmd, mstsc, regedit etc into.

I do not miss a single other feature from it.

Metro UI I use even less, I barely see it when using my PC.

Win+Q and the bottom left corner right click admin menu is all you need in Win 8 and up.

Learn to right click the bottom left instead of left click.  You get more than you had before.

ORLY?

Got a link?

start8.

there's other free options if you insist.

I'm going to stick with tradition of upgrading every other OS update. Vista days of being in the middle of new that wasn't ironed out...never again. I've heard 8.1 fixed gripes people had with Win8 and Win9 should have things ironed out so I can have a modern OS again.

If Win8 works fine for you, good. But please stop preaching about it like you're some kind of cultist. "Do it do it do it" isn't going to sway anyone's opinion to suddenly fall in love with Win8. You just come off sounding pushy. If someone prefers Win7 to Win8, leave them alone about their OS choice.

i'm not sure i've ever seen any 'pushing'. 

it's just that alot of people that haven't even used win8 make alot of weird incorrect statements about it for some sort of weird supremist-like reason.

such as 'i have to use the start screen in win8'

Far too many people hesitate to try something different as their daily driver - I find it's the best way to evaluate something this way, software or hardware.

Even after configuring Metro the way I want it, sure it's not ideal.  But it's more functional than the old Start Menu and I have to use it less often.  Tack that on to the performance and power management of 8.1 and you have a winner imho.

Meanwhile Ubuntu has seen how many updates and even hole new iterations since W8 dropped? We'll see if there's still the need for Windows, for me anyway, come summer 2015. With more and more games getting Linux support I just down see myself needing win for much anymore.

Good. I will need a new phone and will probably look into tablet at that time. Windows 9 14nm tablets should be killer.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

A new windows AGAIN? I'm getting sick of it. I'd rather they waited for 1 more year at least and came out with something fresh.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."