The start of 2023: Mass layoffs

Thaldor

Summary

Microsoft is firing 10,000 workers this quarter. From gaming side 343 Industries and Bethesda has been confirmed to being hit hard with 343 Industries loosing majority of their campaign team (team working on Halo: Infinite campaign side) and Joe Staten leaving 343 for Xbox Publishing. HoloLens team is also scaling down.

Amazon is firing 18,000 workers in US, Canada and Costa Rica. Salesforce cutting 10% of their workforce, Facebook having layoffs since autumn and Twitter layoffs, seems like there will be a lot of available IT workforce around.

Quotes

“During the pandemic there was rapid acceleration. I think we’re going to go through a phase today where there is some amount of normalization in demand,” Nadella said in an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. “We will have to do more with less — we will have to show our own productivity gains with our own technology.”

Meanwhile, Amazon’s worldwide retail chief Doug Herrington said the retail giant’s cuts were were part of an effort to lower costs “so we can continue investing in the wide selection, low prices and fast shipping that our customers love.” He said the company would “continue investing meaningfully” in growth areas including groceries, Amazon’s business-to-business sales program, services for third-party sellers and healthcare.

My thoughts

What there's to say. There's going to be a lot of skillful game developers on the market, like Kevin Schmitt (Rockstar, LucasArts and now 343 Industries), since 343 did hire a lot of experienced people and Bethesda has always had experienced people behind it even when the outcome might have been "questionable". But at least it seems Nadella made $55M in compensations so, the CEO of Microsoft at least doesn't need to drive with the last years Maybach around, after all that would be so terrible, especially if it got over 5,000 miles on it and the nice crisp sound of abrasion leftovers in the engine disappeared and like they needed to wash the car.

Also I would like to take your time to announce that down below you can leave your own expectations how many Microsoft games will be delayed and how many published will have news about crunch hell made.

I will start by saying that Starfield will be delayed and there will be crunch, that's pretty sure. Redfall, maybe pushed back a bit.

Other titles on TBA would be Senua's Saga: Hellblade II which we probably will hear something this year, Fable game from Playground is probably something we might also hear more this year but won't be released, Forza "8" will be released on time since that is something Microsoft will prioritize, MachineGames probably this year tells more about what is going to come 2024 but considering last Wolfenstein was released 2019 we can get surprise, when the Starfield is finally released I believe we might hear about TES VI something but probably nothing to start washing our buying pants for.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-18/microsoft-to-eliminate-10-000-jobs-or-5-of-workforce-as-tech-slump-deepens?srnd=technology-vp

Saw this happening in smaller companies locally too since around september/october here

However its majorly biting everyone in the ass now because employees that got to stay are now refusing to pick up a lot more work for the same pay or just flat out leaving for better positions.

The ones fired are often even gettin rehired for more money due to the above. Its a beautifull clusterfuck 😛

All whilst most people barely had to struggle due to our social programs keeping recently fired people up. That and most of the ones fired are the younger people who don't take shit and get even more support in these cases

The economies they are changing. The thing  that doesn't surprise me is that all these layoffs are coming right after the time when market analysts predicted inflation would peak.  I guess if you can see how far an economy can inflate before things start to burst then you can predict this sort of thing.  Hopefully this will simply pull things back a little toward pre-covid levels and not go into full blown recession.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Say good bye to any chances of getting hired if you're a junior

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Not really surprising for these companies and these times too. At least many with good jobs and skills can get a new job easily especially in better countries.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's hard to know exactly how it will affect Xbox/gaming.10,000 jobs, as huge as that is, and as horrible as it is for those affected, is quite small for Microsoft. I saw a chart somewhere recently that said they had increased by about 40,000 employees in the last couple of years, and have something like over 200,000 employees.

So in the grand scheme of things, I think it's a bit of a nothingburger for MS as a company. Assuming what I saw was factual. I don't have sources handy.

Edit: That being said, I sure hope Starfield isn't delayed again!!

Now that there is AI that you can tell what to do why should you have devs..? Just tell the AI to create a video game and it will code it? You guys have no idea what's coming but keep spamming Discord with AI art thinking it's funny. You're all going to be unemployed and no there will not be free money for the unemployed either. The future is a disgusting place and yet all of you are obsessed with being "modern". Good luck to you.

5 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Now that there is AI that you can tell what to do why should you have devs..? Just tell the AI to create a video game and it will code it? You guys have no idea what's coming but keep spamming Discord with AI art thinking it's funny. You're all going to be unemployed and no there will not be free money for the unemployed either. The future is a disgusting place and yet all of you are obsessed with being "modern". Good luck to you.

Eh?

What does AI have anything to do with this topic?
MS is certainly not using AI to replace these devs.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

5 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Well, people have been saying stuff like that for over 100 years with every major innovation, and it has yet to negatively affect our livelihood and wealth as a society, so I'm not willing to scream the sky is falling just yet.

This is the point where we find out if we are going to have a market correction or a crash I'm leaning towards crash considering we can't even get our government budget lowered before hitting a ceiling 

If an AI can replace your coding skills you aren't a very good coder.

AI is nothing more than a large data set filter. AI doesn't create anything. It just pulls chunks of data or code from a pre existing data set according to it's algorithm. Somebody has create to data in the first place.

5 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine?

AI displacing workers en masse is a good few years away. It's likely to be expensive and limited for some time to come. I mean, plenty of people 5 years ago thought we'd have self-driving cars & trucks by now.

It will reduce some employment, but pretty much all developed economies have shrinking workforces. We'd be in trouble if AI doesn't reduce the need for labour. Sure, at some point in the future AI & robotics may well eliminate the need for human labour, and we'll have to restructure our economies, but that is decades away.

We had overhiring at many tech companies between mid 2020 to early 2022.
This is mostly paring back to where we were in 2020-2021ish. Not doomsday. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

43 minutes ago, wseaton said:

If an AI can replace your coding skills you aren't a very good coder.

AI is nothing more than a large data set filter. AI doesn't create anything. It just pulls chunks of data or code from a pre existing data set according to it's algorithm. Somebody has create to data in the first place.

not fully true, it can solve and generate more, but ofc it has to be created. but still you can put in more ai filters to reduce errors, failures and better common code than others with a likely changing/updated with needed changes. like security patches and holes that humans can look over. ofc ai creates new problems too and not all they can do on their own.

as you can sandbox some systems to see what is the best coding solution, but for expert level code it could take a lot longer and if it doesnt consider everything that other humans might do from bias and experience that could improve the code.

not the reason for layoffs, but some might see it in certain areas. not mass layoffs.

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Infinite growth is not a thing,  I would say it would be more news worthy if there wasn't massive lay-offs given the last 2 years.

Yeah it sucks for the people caught up in it and they have my sympathies big time, but it's not a suprise.

Really terrible for everyone this is hitting. I hope it isn’t a precursor of tough times to come but its hard to tell with the way things are now.

Overhiring soon leads to overfiring. Anyone is surprised? We all know the pandemic bubble will pop as soon as stimulus dried and feds start jacking up the interest rate. 

In other news, hospitality and service sectors are still struggling for labors. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

In other news

artifical growth, as with how some companies that does 0 of anything, can grow being worth 100 millions with many connections (not FTX) and just "suddenly" tank when its not realistic.

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

artifical growth, as with how some companies that does 0 of anything, can grow being worth 100 millions with many connections (not FTX) and just "suddenly" tank when its not realistic.

I just heard on a NPR talk show that the USA government linked the "care worker market" to GDP it raised the GDP output rate by a lot. Seems like a dangerous game to me but they where all thrilled on the show. 

As far as Amazon goes, I listen to the radio at work. It was apply, you dont need an interview to get a job. Now at the time demand was out of control, 2 day prime shipping was a miracle if you could get a shipment in 2 days. I read somewhere Amazon at least on the retail side didnt make too much money. Part of the reason was supply chain costs. Amazon invested in ships, containers, planes, etc. Seeing how demand is not currently there, it would make sense they lay some workers off. 

Another thing to consider is the Federal Reserve had interest rates at .25% before inflation. It was so easy to barrow money, that many did and thats how they funded some of these projects and hiring as well. Once the cheap money dried up so did the oppratunities they brought. 

The other thing to consider is the economy works on cycles. We have upturns and downturns. Right now we are in a downturn, but eventually things will get better. The biggest issues companies will face in the mean time is people not wanting to increase their output. The other issue is when the economy does go in to an upturn are the workers still going to be there for these jobs? I know in the case of the US we have low birth rates, with a large amount of people on or going on social security. The workforce is shrinking. China, Russia and I think even parts of Europe are facing the same problem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The other thing to consider is the economy works on cycles. We have upturns and downturns. Right now we are in a downturn, but eventually things will get better. The biggest issues companies will face in the mean time is people not wanting to increase their output. The other issue is when the economy does go in to an upturn are the workers still going to be there for these jobs? I know in the case of the US we have low birth rates, with a large amount of people on or going on social security. The workforce is shrinking. China, Russia and I think even parts of Europe are facing the same problem. 

The most successful managers and businesses I have encoutnered know this inside and out, they plan at least 15 years in front ((up to 50 for major company), and they play growth carefully. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

34 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The most successful managers and businesses I have encoutnered know this inside and out, they plan at least 15 years in front ((up to 50 for major company), and they play growth carefully. 

This blow up, however, didn't take any metacycle predictions. US Fed massively devalued the US Dollar. The Overheat-Bubble Burst was incredibly predictable. It's just timing it is harder. Though we've been in a global recession since about Q4 2021. Different spots just get hit at different rates.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

This blow up, however, didn't take any metacycle predictions. US Fed massively devalued the US Dollar. The Overheat-Bubble Burst was incredibly predictable. It's just timing it is harder. Though we've been in a global recession since about Q4 2021. Different spots just get hit at different rates.

I haven't been following the US side of things, but here in Oz the predictions have been pretty spot on (some were made a year ago).

On 1/19/2023 at 3:19 AM, PocketNerd said:

Say good bye to any chances of getting hired if you're a junior

Tbh it's mostly tech that is getting hit hard so if you work in other fields you can likely find a job if you really want one. The big issue was while most companies took big hits during covid big tech and Amazon both did super well and alot of that was the result of everyone being stuck inside. They predicted required staff based on the growth during covid and when they saw declines after covid was over they had to make corrections by laying off alot of people. Also tech companies aren't getting away with not being profitable yet still having crazy high valuations.