I feel bad for US/ Canadian computer hardware shoppers

So it just struck me as I was looking to buy a GPU for a friend who lives in the US how atrocious your etailers' websites are. They are built to confuse, with no way to sort by price (and even if you can, they'll still be sorted by manufacturer first) - how do you people live with this shit? In Norway, you can go to any retailer and, assuming you have knowledge about what you're buying, walk out of there after 5 minutes with what is empirically and objectively the best deal in the entire store.

Newegg and NCIX both are set up to try and make people buy crap products, I.E. 3 categories of "recommended!" or "top sellers!" or "featured items!" and hell, even "combo deals!".

And more often than not, whatever is recommended, featured, "top sellers" (irony quotes as they are lying) is stuff from Powercolour or other bottom-rung brands, or even OOP generations.

And then there's the "mail-in-rebate" system. "Hey, let's give our customers a special discount for not being lazy, but we know most of them will forget or are lazy and it will be free money for us in the end anyway!" -Newegg

Now I know the true meaning of the word "wild west".

Amazon will have no problem demolishing this industry left and right in the end, simply by being only slightly less scummy. Slightly.

You know what we call sites like these in Europe? Illegal!

EDIT: Oh oh, and here's another American gem! "See price in cart". SEE PRICE IN CART?!?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I feel bad for everyone outside the US for the prices they have to pay for electronics.

Really,30-40% on top of the product's price.It's lame,especially when $2000 becomes $3000.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Most people who shop on those sites know what they are getting for their money and usually ignore what the site says as a good deal.

Yeah sure but you're still having your time wasted by a factor of twenty to what I'm used to.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Fell bad for them? I wish I had their prices here... the retailer's website could infect my computer with viruses and I would not care.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Yeah sure but you're still having your time wasted by a factor of twenty to what I'm used to.

I really don't have much difficulty browsing sites like Newegg. Not sure what's complicated about it, tbh...

The fact that they *have* options like "featured" doesn't mean I have to click on them... I can just click on "price".

And being able to narrow down my searches with feature-based filters is a godsend, particularly when I'm shopping for something in a category that I'm not too familiar with.

Newegg is super easy to navigate. Micro Center and NCIX (sorry Linus) always mess me up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I really don't have much difficulty browsing sites like Newegg. Not sure what's complicated about it, tbh...

The fact that they *have* options like "featured" doesn't mean I have to click on them... I can just click on "price".

And being able to narrow down my searches with feature-based filters is a godsend, particularly when I'm shopping for something in a category that I'm not too familiar with.

And Linus comes to save the day again!

Honestly, I've never had any problems myself with browsing Newegg, Microcenter, or even NCIX. What's the big deal?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Newegg is super easy to navigate. Micro Center and NCIX (sorry Linus) always mess me up.

really? I find Microcenter easier to browse than Newegg, and NCIX isn't that bad, though I don't check there very often.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Obviously you have no idea how to use a search function.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Generally i've already looked up what I want elsewhere (youtube videos and the like) and I just go to these sites to pick up exactly what I want. Case in point I had $300 to blow on a graphics card, looked at the 660Ti's (latest stuff at the time) and got the 660Ti MSI Power Edition (before the nerf) due to Linus's constant talk about it at the time. And the best selling or best rated categories are nice as well. When looking for routers or wireless cards I wanted to see what people were saying worked and worked well. I can't say i've been disappointed doing that. The only time I bought something I didn't really know how to shop for was my two monitors, I somewhat regret my decision but I think at the time it was the best monitor for the money I had to spend.

I personally like my local Canadian retailer.

They beat any other Canadian vendors price by 5% of the difference. That means I always get the best price in Canada .

They also offer great prices on re-furb items. never had an issue with any re-furb item bought there.

prime example

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Clearance/Item/2e2b6bcc-2f0a-40d6-bc79-0704c6708aaf

memoryexpress.com ftw

Anyways you shouldn't feel bad for US

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Have you even been to an Australian e-tailer for tech? Those are the worst abominations I've ever seen! Don't feel bad for people in North America, your sorry should be with our Aussie friends who not only have terrible layouts on their tech sites, but limited choices and high prices.

my heart does go out to Australia. for sure  and South Africa

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

So it just struck me as I was looking to buy a GPU for a friend who lives in the US how atrocious your etailers' websites are. They are built to confuse, with no way to sort by price (and even if you can, they'll still be sorted by manufacturer first) - how do you people live with this shit? In Norway, you can go to any retailer and, assuming you have knowledge about what you're buying, walk out of there after 5 minutes with what is empirically and objectively the best deal in the entire store.

Newegg and NCIX both are set up to try and make people buy crap products, I.E. 3 categories of "recommended!" or "top sellers!" or "featured items!" and hell, even "combo deals!".

a4ced6ff7bc005535dd59b0ac0ffe2ad.png

How is a layout like this confusing? It's pretty straight forward. Power search is there for even finer searching. :ph34r:

really? I find Microcenter easier to browse than Newegg, and NCIX isn't that bad, though I don't check there very often.

I use Newegg the most, and Microcenter and NCIX the least, so that might be why.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Newegg has got to be one of the easiest online retailers i have ever used...

Compared to Fry's website, its amazing. (no offense) but i have to say that NCIX's website is a bit old-style (plain background a bit like frys)... And it does not have the filters. But i am not saying NCIX is bad! They have great prices, and they are reliable. (plus, they are one of the only places in the US where you can buy Be Quiet! products)

EDIT: Wait NXIC does have search filters

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

1: So it just struck me as I was looking to buy a GPU for a friend who lives in the US how atrocious your etailers' websites are. They are built to confuse, with no way to sort by price (and even if you can, they'll still be sorted by manufacturer first) - how do you people live with this shit? In Norway, you can go to any retailer and, assuming you have knowledge about what you're buying, walk out of there after 5 minutes with what is empirically and objectively the best deal in the entire store.

2: Newegg and NCIX both are set up to try and make people buy crap products, I.E. 3 categories of "recommended!" or "top sellers!" or "featured items!" and hell, even "combo deals!".

3: And more often than not, whatever is recommended, featured, "top sellers" (irony quotes as they are lying) is stuff from Powercolour or other bottom-rung brands, or even OOP generations.

4: And then there's the "mail-in-rebate" system. "Hey, let's give our customers a special discount for not being lazy, but we know most of them will forget or are lazy and it will be free money for us in the end anyway!" -Newegg

5: Now I know the true meaning of the word "wild west".

6: Amazon will have no problem demolishing this industry left and right in the end, simply by being only slightly less scummy. Slightly.

7: You know what we call sites like these in Europe? Illegal!

8: EDIT: Oh oh, and here's another American gem! "See price in cart". SEE PRICE IN CART?!?

1: You've been disproven here about fifteen times

2: Are you saying we have too many to choose from?

3: Refer to number 2

4: This is up to the manufacturer

5: lol you don't know the west

6: Jelly of free cheap 2 day shipping?

7: Capitalism is usually illegal in Europe, yes

8: Who cares? Too painful to click two times?

I mean I may come off hostile (might be the intent) but I truly love my cheap prices and wide availability if this is all I have to deal with lol

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Newegg has got to be one of the easiest online retailers i have ever used...

Compared to Fry's website, its amazing. (no offense) but i have to say that NCIX's website is a bit old-style (plain background a bit like frys)... And it does not have the filters. But i am not saying NCIX is bad! They have great prices, and they are reliable. (plus, they are one of the only places in the US where you can buy Be Quiet! products)

EDIT: Wait NXIC does have search filters

Last time I used the filters though they didn't work so...

But Newegg is super easy to navigate. I usually use Newegg to get more details on items like the specs. 

id rather say those in the north us or us in general are blessed when it come to technology, everyone or partially everyone else has to pay like 30% more while being unable to import due to ludicrous import fees of insanity, not to mention that the majority of cool technology is available to them first, certain things aren't even available outside the us..

i wouldn't exactly say that they are getting the short end of the stick here.

OP Plz, do you even internet? 

anyone could navigate NCIX, Amazon or Newegg...they really aren't that convoluted. 

a4ced6ff7bc005535dd59b0ac0ffe2ad.png

How is a layout like this confusing? It's pretty straight forward. Power search is there for even finer searching. :ph34r:

Newegg FTW ;) so easy and fast to order

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I use Newegg the most, and Microcenter and NCIX the least, so that might be why.

The only thing I find wrong with Microcenter is you can't sort by color.