Dont you guys have fiber..?

Jehova

Summary

So I guess the days of not-online gaming is officially over - in case anyone had not yet noticed. According to an article from TechSpot, COD: MW2 will contain just 170mb on the disc, and will require a 150gb download to play.

Quotes

A Twitter account cataloging the on-disc contents of retail games has revealed that the PlayStation 5 disc for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II contains only 70MB of data. To make things worse, the game – launching this week – requires a 150GB download. The same is likely true on Xbox

My thoughts

I guess a lot of people dont care. For some, however, this is a huge problem. I sail container ships, and on these ships we have extremely limited internet. So limited, in fact, that if you stream video on YouTube, noone else on the ship can WhatsApp family and friends. So you dont, of course. And you especially dont hijack the entire connection for the month or so it would take to download COD. It is too bad, though, since console gaming was a thing on board that people could really enjoy together. These days we cant buy any games, because even single-player only experiences requires exceptionally large downloads with no way around it. And I get it. We're a microscopic part of a very large consumer segment. It just sucks that we cant enjoy one of those little reminders of home when we are thousands of miles from home for long periods of time.

Sources

https://www.polygon.com/23426462/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-disk-install-size-data-download

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

remind me why do they still sell physical copies of games again?

That's my main issue. Go digital if you want. It's your company, it's your choice. PC has basically been that way for a long time now. But if you're selling a disc, have the game on it. Then at least I can play SOMETHING single player, even if there's a game breaking bug. But it's borderline deceptive, selling a disc with nothing (not to mention wasteful).

Haven't looked into it myself but maybe there's more luck with Switch game carts? I think they're playable without patching.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Or you know, just play one of the miriad of other first person shooters that are available out there.

COD's been garbage for a long time stop giving them your hard money like that cause this is what you support when you decide to bend over and cash in

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

23 minutes ago, Jehova said:

I sail container ships, and on these ships we have extremely limited internet

Right, which is why you should be downloading all your games when docked, and have BMR backups going to another drive. Otherwise, you could wait for Starlink as that will revolutionize the maritime industry.

<-- Moved to General Discussion -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

37 minutes ago, Fasterthannothing said:

What's the point of selling a disk anymore 

Gives the illusion of "value" to some people. You give more value to something you can hold physically, than something digital.
That and it allows "reselling", which is something a lot of console players want apparently.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

42 minutes ago, Jehova said:

Summary

So I guess the days of not-online gaming is officially over - in case anyone had not yet noticed. According to an article from TechSpot, COD: MW2 will contain just 170mb on the disc, and will require a 150gb download to play.

Quotes

My thoughts

I guess a lot of people dont care. For some, however, this is a huge problem. I sail container ships, and on these ships we have extremely limited internet. So limited, in fact, that if you stream video on YouTube, noone else on the ship can WhatsApp family and friends. So you dont, of course. And you especially dont hijack the entire connection for the month or so it would take to download COD. It is too bad, though, since console gaming was a thing on board that people could really enjoy together. These days we cant buy any games, because even single-player only experiences requires exceptionally large downloads with no way around it. And I get it. We're a microscopic part of a very large consumer segment. It just sucks that we cant enjoy one of those little reminders of home when we are thousands of miles from home for long periods of time.

Sources

https://www.polygon.com/23426462/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-disk-install-size-data-download

A pretty strong reason for me to stick with pc gaming. While Steam can be hit or miss as to whether or not it wants to cooperate, GOG has been a godsend for when I lacked home internet. 

GoG provides executables directly, giving you full control of where to put it, what systems to install it on, etc. No mandatory updates required. I often loaded up an external SSD with games at a friend’s place, to play on my home system later. 

While you won’t often find the latest and greatest on there, I find the selection to be quite good. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Only big cities get top rate fiber optic internet. Universities also have top speed internet. Heck, I remember back in university, the download speed was greater than the amount of data my CPU can actually process. It was like 1gpbs and my CPU was at 100% usage after only 750ish Mbps download and bottlenecking the internet downloading speed from that point onward.

Disk write speed can also bottleneck. If it can only write files at 500mbps like most none nvme SSD for example, 1gbps fiber internet really won't do you any good since your write speed will be bottlenecking the downloading speed. This is assuming your cpu is even fast enough to process 1gbps per second of data and write to disk before the entire buffer gets filled up and throttle which in my case, my dual core laptop i5 simply isnt up to the task.

There is also the issue of the servers. They need to be fast enough to send 1gbps of data to you as well which is often not the case if like say the server is overloaded with requests from gazzilions clients. You don't need denial of service attacks to slow down a server response. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Starlink ftw. Certainly better than nothing. I like GoG too.

7950x-Aerolus x670 Elite Ax 64gb ddr5 5800 OC crap ram 2x 980 pro 2tb Zotac Tinity OC etc 3080 ti LG Ultragear 48gq900 138hz Gaming oled

1 hour ago, Holmes108 said:

But if you're selling a disc, have the game on it.

DVD can hold like 7GB of data... You'd need 30 of them lmao

Eh, that died long ago. I don't see the issue. Most people have fast enough internet that they can download the game, and if you don't, just leave your device on overnight and play it the next day. Yes, I know, we all want instant gratification, but sometimes you just have to wait.

As for your particular predicament, you nailed it. Microscopic portion of the community; it won't be changing for you. Unfortunate, but you can always use that down time on ship to learn a new career that allows you to play video games in your downtime 😉

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Or you know, just play one of the miriad of other first person shooters that are available out there.

COD's been garbage for a long time stop giving them your hard money like that cause this is what you support when you decide to bend over and cash in

The MW ones have been great; the last one was one of my fav games.

The ones in between, I agree, hot garbage.

It's an increasingly connected world. Not giving them money for one game isn't going to change that.

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Only big cities get top rate fiber optic internet. Universities also have top speed internet. Heck, I remember back in university, the download speed was greater than the amount of data my CPU can actually process. It was like 1gpbs and my CPU was at 100% usage after only 750ish Mbps download and bottlenecking the internet downloading speed from that point onward.

Disk write speed can also bottleneck. If it can only write files at 500mbps like most none nvme SSD for example, 1gbps fiber internet really won't do you any good since your write speed will be bottlenecking the downloading speed. This is assuming your cpu is even fast enough to process 1gbps per second of data and write to disk before the entire buffer gets filled up and throttle which in my case, my dual core laptop i5 simply isnt up to the task.

There is also the issue of the servers. They need to be fast enough to send 1gbps of data to you as well which is often not the case if like say the server is overloaded with requests from gazzilions clients. You don't need denial of service attacks to slow down a server response. 

Maybe where you live, I can get it in a relatively small town of 32,000.

52 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

You know that bluray exists, right? 😉

50GB is still 1/3 of the amount of storage you'd need, it isn't gonna help 😉

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Eh, that died long ago. I don't see the issue. Most people have fast enough internet that they can download the game, and if you don't, just leave your device on overnight and play it the next day. Yes, I know, we all want instant gratification, but sometimes you just have to wait.

As for your particular predicament, you nailed it. Microscopic portion of the community; it won't be changing for you. Unfortunate, but you can always use that down time on ship to learn a new career that allows you to play video games in your downtime 😉

The MW ones have been great; the last one was one of my fav games.

The ones in between, I agree, hot garbage.

It's an increasingly connected world. Not giving them money for one game isn't going to change that.

Maybe where you live, I can get it in a relatively small town of 32,000.

After having suffered through installing battlefront Vietnam on 8 regular disks vs 2dvds, I'd take a 3 disk install over a 30 disk install any day. 

22 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

After having suffered through installing battlefront Vietnam on 8 regular disks vs 2dvds, I'd take a 3 disk install over a 30 disk install any day. 

I personally think discs should be banned entirely. It's just a lot of plastic waste we really don't need, when these games will require some form of online connection anyway. Now if it was a game where it was fully single player and didn't require any kind of connection, I could see an argument there.

But I mean. It's likely only a matter of years where you won't have any place to put that disc anyway 🤷‍♂️

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Soooo activation don't know how compression works at all? how are their games so fucking massive.....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

51 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's like people want to bring these days back.

s-l400.jpg

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

14 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

-snip-

I miss the days of just being able to install a game, not needing to download the day 1 DLC because the game company decided to rush out a game full of bugs, and being able to play a game without needing another launcher or requiring to be online. So I wouldn't mind games on disc and it would be a lot faster than waiting on a download.

17 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

not needing to download the day 1 DLC because the game company decided to rush out a game full of bugs

Being on a disc won't fix deadlines set by company boards.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

41 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Soooo activation don't know how compression works at all? how are their games so fucking massive.....

If that was the case, it would be solvable with filesystem compression, but last time I checked it didn't make any difference for their games.

44 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

s-l400.jpg

Error reading Disc 4: cyclic redundancy check. Abort/Retry/Ignore?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Error reading Disc 4: cyclic redundancy check. Abort/Retry/Ignore?

Retry. Retry always.

giphy.gif

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, Slave2school said:

Starlink ftw

As long as you're not paying for it. 

The seaborne systems are quite expensive still.