Dont you guys have fiber..?

Jehova
5 hours ago, Jehova said:

I guess a lot of people dont care. For some, however, this is a huge problem. I sail container ships, and on these ships we have extremely limited internet. So limited, in fact, that if you stream video on YouTube, noone else on the ship can WhatsApp family and friends. So you dont, of course. And you especially dont hijack the entire connection for the month or so it would take to download COD. It is too bad, though, since console gaming was a thing on board that people could really enjoy together. These days we cant buy any games, because even single-player only experiences requires exceptionally large downloads with no way around it. And I get it. We're a microscopic part of a very large consumer segment. It just sucks that we cant enjoy one of those little reminders of home when we are thousands of miles from home for long periods of time.

So you want to go back to the days where you had multiple disks to install once piece of software? We're going to be back in Floppy Disk era, except with DVDs. 

Microsoft Office 4.3 Floppy Disks : Microsoft : Free Download, Borrow, and  Streaming : Internet Archive

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I got very lucky. I moved into in a township in 2020. A township is the smallest type of administrative division in my state. Fairly rural, population 7000. Last year I saw a local ISP running fiber in my neighborhood, and I was lucky enough to get it on my street. I've been paying $55/mo for symmetrical gigabit for over a year now.

Even if the entire game was on the disk, you couldn't play until it patched the entire game anyway.

31 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So you want to go back to the days where you had multiple disks to install once piece of software? We're going to be back in Floppy Disk era, except with DVDs. 

Microsoft Office 4.3 Floppy Disks : Microsoft : Free Download, Borrow, and  Streaming : Internet Archive

And those almost always failed at like disk 17 with Abort, Retry, Fail which meant you were screwed.

5 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

It's like people want to bring these days back.

s-l400.jpg

Please, no...😂

They got rid of plastic straws. These are just as bad.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

You know that bluray exists, right? 😉

Yeah, but it's super expensive compared to DVDs

9 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

It's like people want to bring these days back.

s-l400.jpg

please yes!

specially when the box is well made and includes a book/booklet with the concept arts

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

But is the cost of 3 blurays more than the cost of 30 dvd's?

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

It's an increasingly connected world. Not giving them money for one game isn't going to change that.

maybe won't change acti, but it show a boost in interest in other smaller studio that received your money for their fps that doesn't occupy 150GB, that doesn't force you to be always online to play, that has a good or decent single player mode, that let's you set private servers, that has a lan mode, etc, etc, etc... 

A combination of all of those things, or a single focused feature, depends on what you, you the consumer, really want.

Complaining and then giving your money to get the source of your complaints just because "herp derp gotta have the latest COD anyway", is going to fix absolutely nothing and you are just wasting your and everyone else's time with this kind of thread.

but then again, this or the kind of people who play COD...

See the source image

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, Heliian said:

As long as you're not paying for it. 

The seaborne systems are quite expensive still. 

I'm quite happy to pay for it lol. The alternatives are phone LTE @10Mbps, dsl@6Mbps, bell home wireless@50Mbps (costs almost the same as Starlink RV to get the 50Mbps available here), Rogers home wireless, the crap version of Bell service, or even worse the explornet option.

7950x-Aerolus x670 Elite Ax 64gb ddr5 5800 OC crap ram 2x 980 pro 2tb Zotac Tinity OC etc 3080 ti LG Ultragear 48gq900 138hz Gaming oled

11 hours ago, Heliian said:

As long as you're not paying for it. 

The seaborne systems are quite expensive still. 

Starlink: 

260mbps down

40mbps up

$140aud/month

Adsl: (on a good day)

7mbps down

0.6mbps up 

$110aud/month

These are literally my 2 options. Think I'm happy to pay for it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 hours ago, dizmo said:
15 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

DVD can hold like 7GB of data... You'd need 30 of them lmao

50GB is still 1/3 of the amount of storage you'd need, it isn't gonna help 😉

That's fine, my point is just don't release them on disc at all then. Put them on the disc you're selling, in any way necessary, or go digital only.

3 blu-rays may be wasteful to some people, but I find that less wasteful than 1 empty blu-ray.

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

Maybe where you live, I can get it in a relatively small town of 32,000.

Same. City of 30K, and basically everyone within city limits has access to fiber. Still sucks for those who don't though, for sure. Especially for the not uncommon issue of console patches that seem to be far larger than they ever need to be, especially compared to PC counterparts. Would be nice if they improved that.

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Starlink: 

260mbps down

40mbps up

$140aud/month

Adsl: (on a good day)

7mbps down

0.6mbps up 

$110aud/month

These are literally my 2 options. Think I'm happy to pay for it.

Starlink's Maritime pricing is $5,000/month with a $10,000 up-front hardware cost....

Starlink Maritime

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

9 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

Starlink's Maritime pricing is $5,000/month with a $10,000 up-front hardware cost....

Starlink Maritime

Yeah and no one here mentioned their boat yet. If you ccan afford the multi million or billion dollar boat the 5k a month isn't going to be an issue.

Oh sorry I edited this, you hate that lol.

7950x-Aerolus x670 Elite Ax 64gb ddr5 5800 OC crap ram 2x 980 pro 2tb Zotac Tinity OC etc 3080 ti LG Ultragear 48gq900 138hz Gaming oled

Just now, Slave2school said:

Yeah and no one here mentioned their boat yet.

OP stated they work on a ship.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

1 minute ago, LapsedMemory said:

OP stated they work on a ship.

So who else mentioned their boat when they replied.

Just now, Slave2school said:

So who else mentioned their boat when they replied.

I'm just pointing out that starlink isn't really the miracle solution that you and others have been pushing it to be.  Games sizes are a problem, and "just get a faster connection" is a lazy answer to that problem.

4 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

I'm just pointing out that starlink isn't really the miracle solution that you and others have been pushing it to be.  Games sizes are a problem, and "just get a faster connection" is a lazy answer to that problem.

Who said it is a miracle? It is fast reliable internet where there is little to no infrastructure, such as rural Canada or Australia. Exactly the use case it is being made to support. If you have the money. Seems to be an issue for those who don't even have the service lol. Like I said if you want fast internet in some spots, it is THE solution. THE only solution. I don't like it, I don't love Musk. It is a service and I'll jump ship as fast as anyone if something better and cheaper comes along. For now it is a premium product not meant for people that cannot understand the use case. 

So you either have dozens of DVD's, multiple Blu-Rays or one single download to install a game. Which would you prefer? (Not to mention most PC's don't even have optical drives anymore)

I first had something like this happen 10 years ago. I bought TES V: Skyrim in a store. When i inserted the disk into my PC it prompted me to install steam and download the game from there using the product key in the box. And that's how i created my steam account. I never bought a physical game again since my discovery of Steam.

So what i'm trying to say: This isn't new. It's been happening for a decade at least.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

17 hours ago, Jehova said:

It is too bad, though, since console gaming was a thing on board that people could really enjoy together. These days we cant buy any games, because even single-player only experiences requires exceptionally large downloads with no way around it. And I get it. We're a microscopic part of a very large consumer segment.

No, You are not the only ones who want to be able to play their games offline.

There is the ownership and DRM issue - If i can't play it offline,if the developer's servers dictate whether i can play the game or not,

If there the server has connectivity issues, goes down or the publisher/developer goes under i will not be able to play the game.

That's one of the reasons i boycott Activision-Blizzard,

The last game i bought from them was Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 in 2011.

Even though i really want to play the reboot of Modern Warfare from 2019 - I will not buy it.

I buy a game, store it on one of my hard drives, backup the drives monthly - And the games are in my possession forever, even if the servers go down i will still have the games.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

but then again, this or the kind of people who play COD...

I will give them the benefit of doubt, maybe they are playing the original from 2009 and not the reboot.

20 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Which would you prefer?

USB Drives

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

Not really, they're like $0.15 a piece. Negligible when games cost 60 or 70 bucks in retail. The problem with blu ray is that not a lot of people have a drive for them... then again maybe more people would if games released on blu ray and blu ray movies weren't such a pain to play on computers. Consoles don't have this problem because they can just come with a blu ray drive but 150GB is too much even for a quad layer blu ray, you'd need two discs and a permanent installation anyway. COD is known for poorly compressed releases so this may also be a bit of an artificial problem; if they would just bother compressing their assets like everyone else it might be 80gb instead of 150.

At this point there isn't much reason for physical releases, as much as in theory I would like something physical. @Jehova, one of you could simply download the game at home and take the console with you on the ship; I get that it's inconvenient but I wouldn't say insurmountably so.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Slave2school said:

I'm quite happy to pay for it lol. The alternatives are phone LTE @10Mbps, dsl@6Mbps, bell home wireless@50Mbps (costs almost the same as Starlink RV to get the 50Mbps available here), Rogers home wireless, the crap version of Bell service, or even worse the explornet option.

10k for the hardware and 5k/month for usage for the Starlink maritime system.  There isn't much option on the open seas. 

17 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Gives the illusion of "value" to some people. You give more value to something you can hold physically, than something digital.
That and it allows "reselling", which is something a lot of console players want apparently.

Because when you finally realise they've been releasing the same game for the last 10 years you can at least get some of your money back!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

7 minutes ago, Heliian said:

10k for the hardware and 5k/month for usage for the Starlink maritime system.  There isn't much option on the open seas. 

I agree that could be very expensive, if for an individual. What other options are there on the high seas for reliable internet right now? Probably not much.  Consider that with marine fuel costing something like $700-800/ton? (quick google search) and a ship burning 50 tons a day they can probably eat the internet costs if they deem it required for operations and or crew sanity.

My guess is most companies really don't give a crap about QoL issues such as your game updates on the high seas.