TSMC and Samsung to be Planning and Considering Price Increases (from 8-30%)

Summary

The TSMC and Samsung foundries are planning on price increases. For TSMC they are expecting the price increases in 2023, for Samsung the price increases sometime in the second half of 2022. Price increases between the two will vary from 8-30% according to reports.

mOK31RrFKMWh6hcN.thumb.jpg.66c82557c3b5d5137a68c07269fb005a.jpg

xtPBXfh5Mg9wbf5h.thumb.jpg.22a759ca2b625a83970a918cf212f46d.jpg

Quotes

Reports of TSMC planning price hikes in early 2023 are starting to appear. TSMC has supposedly already contacted its customers to notify them about the upcoming price increase, to give them as much time as possible to make any changes to their plans, if needed. The price increase will vary depending on the node in question, but is reported to be somewhere between five and eight percent according to the Nikkei. 

Part of the increase is also related to TSMC's rapid expansion that's going on at the moment. TSMC is expected to invest some US$40-44 billion this year alone on fabs and new equipment. This is a fairly small price increase compared to the big increase TSMC implemented in August 2021, where some nodes saw price hikes of up to 20 percent.

~

It looks like Samsung Foundry is set to follow suit with a similar price hike as TSMC. Depending on the node, the company is said to be looking at increases of between 15 to 20 percent. The price increases are said to come into effect sometime in the second half of 2022, so more than six months after TSMC's price hike. The costs to produce chips are said to be increasing by 20 to 30 percent across the board, no matter if we're talking materials needed to produce integrated circuits, or building new factories, according to Bloomberg. 

The company is hoping to overtake TSMC in the future and invested more than US$36 billion in 2021 alone to expand its foundry business with new fabs and EUV machines.

My thoughts

Well this is a real bummer, right when we started to see GPU prices equalizing it appears that prices for all gaming products are still to go up (directly from the fab though). This will prove to be an issue for people trying to build new PCs, because this doesn't even take into account the behavior we've been seeing regarding prices in recent history (scalping, inflation, raw materials and lack of availability). 

Sources

https://www.engadget.com/samsung-raising-chipmaking-prices-131536580.html 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tsmc-warns-clients-of-up-to-9-price-hike-in-2023

https://www.techpowerup.com/294753/tsmc-said-to-be-planning-price-increases-in-2023

https://www.techpowerup.com/294837/samsung-foundry-considering-up-to-20-percent-price-hikes

18 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

I don't think that 8-30% of price increase, will affect GPU price by 8-30%. The price of silcon is a small portion of the total cost of it, but I m sure that Nvidia and AMD will use this excuse to sell higher

Its the price of silicon itself (rather than the process of making the chip) that is likely the reason for this.

Kinda inevitable when it seems there is a monopoly for silicon supply causing a shortage.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

20 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

I don't think that 8-30% of price increase, will affect GPU price by 8-30%. The price of silcon is a small portion of the total cost of it, but I m sure that Nvidia and AMD will use this excuse to sell higher

I'm sure I've seen attempts at breaking down the cost of a typical desktop GPU in recent times but I've been unable to find it to get some better numbers. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if silicon based components made up the majority of the cost of a finished GPU, at least at the higher end. The big ticket items will probably be the GPU die itself and VRAM, supplemented by other silicon like power controllers and similar. The small stuff is pretty much insignificant even if there can be a lot of them. Boards and cooling isn't terribly expensive. Packaging isn't really significant either. Maybe the low end will be more resistant as non-silicon parts may contribute more, but for the higher end of interest to most will be impacted. And I wouldn't be surprised if non-silicon parts also go up anyway.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The cost of a top of the line consumer mass produced processor is not expensive. Maybe 40-50$ USD. What costs a the most is the billions it is required in R&D. Then the marketing, operating expenses of not only the chip manufacturers, but in the case of GPUs, the board manufacturers, who also need to do R&D, marketing, pay company operations, deal with warranty coverage, have an MSRP that give retailers and warehouse/distribution channel money, and also they need to make money.

All in all, the price goes up real fast. The part itself, not expensive.

Customer loose due to price rounding. A product is never sold as 782.43$. It will be sold as: 799.99$ So this price increase may cost consumers, us, pay 20 to 50$ more depending on the product.

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

billions it is required in R&D

I will agree that most of it's price is rnd, and also the "fashion" that we pay as top of the edge adopters, but rnd is divided by the huge amount of units, where the cost of  the materials is somewhat constant. For example if silcon is 50$, is about the same no matter what is the amount, but rnd is getting lower if you produce more units. 10 million $ for 1000 GPUz, is 1000 per unit, but 10 million $ for 10 million GPUz is 1$ per unit

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The cost of a top of the line consumer mass produced processor is not expensive. Maybe 40-50$ USD. What costs a the most is the billions it is required in R&D. Then the marketing, operating expenses of not only the chip manufacturers, but in the case of GPUs, the board manufacturers, who also need to do R&D, marketing, pay company operations, deal with warranty coverage, have an MSRP that give retailers and warehouse/distribution channel money, and also they need to make money.

Customer loose due to price rounding. A product is never sold as 782.43$. It will be sold as: 799.99$ So this price increase may cost consumers, us, pay 20 to 50$ more depending on the product.

Raw material costs is probably <$20. I saw the number recently but I don’t remember it. TSMC charges several thousand per wafer on leading nodes. 

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

this is why they should go from chips to crackers.

now its just to wait for all those intel fabs, just have elon buy one for the space race. jk

13 hours ago, PeachGr said:

They always do. Basically everyone in the production chain of products will jack things up by 8% each.

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I'd say it depends really.

I mean in 2021 Nvidia spent $5.2 billion in R&D costs.  The cost of building/shipping the product was $9.4 billion.  While R&D does make up a decent amount of the pricing, things like this can cause a decent increase in prices as well (and it applies to the older cards still being manufactured as well).  So more likely to have the lineup facing the more profitable products if there is an increase in manufacturing.

Actually, to put things in perspective as well, the sales, general and admin expenses were $2.1 billion.  So depending on the year the staffing can take nearly the same priority then (e.g. 2021 R&D at Nvidia was only $3.9 billion, but $6.3 billion in building the product)

Either way, while it won't have the one to one 8-30% higher cost it still might have a linear relationship, it still will come into play as NVidia tries protecting the shareholder value

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

At this point they can do with their prices what they want. What are their customers gonna do? Buy from someone else? Invest billions into building ther own fabs?

16 hours ago, PeachGr said:

If the last 2 years have shown us anything, then it's that companies like these things to excuse their own price hikes even when they're not impacted that much. There are many companies that use current events around the world and raise their prices while operating as usual, but use the same excuse as others that actually suffer from shortages. That is very apparent with many products currently being made in the EU and with everything going on in Ukraine.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Everyone "Im going to wait for 4000 series" beause cards are $80 over MSRP currently are going to be frustrated lol

A rough indication of possible cost to AMD for getting GPUs made at TSMC: (I nearly did this with nvidia but I don't have numbers for Samsung)

Area of Navi 21: 520 mm2

TSMC 7nm defect rate: 0.09/cm2

Max number of dies from a wafer area: 135

Max number of whole dies from a wafer: 103

Estimated good dies after defect rate: 66

Cost of TSMC 7nm: $5859.28

Cost per good die assuming above: $88.78

That number will be wrong for many reasons:

1, yield is based on defects only, and doesn't factor in binning

2, 7nm pricing is from a presentation in 2016 - would it go up or down since then? TSMC didn't record 7nm revenue until 2018, with AMD's first CPU using it in 2019. For comparison, average TSMC wafer was $4007 in 2021 and <=7nm wafers were less than 50% of units, so it would still be somewhere above that. TSMC 5nm wafer cost was  reported to be $16988 in 2020.

Navi 21 is used in 6800 and above, so representative of a high end GPU. 

Sources:

https://caly-technologies.com/die-yield-calculator/

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

Everyone "Im going to wait for 4000 series" beause cards are $80 over MSRP currently are going to be frustrated lol

2 years old products that are still $80 over their original MSRP from 2 years ago...

There, I fixed it for you. Also MSRP at this point is some fictitious made up value that literally means nothing. And you can be assured RTX 4000 series (and RX 7000) will come with jacked up prices from the get go. Just because they can and because everyone seems to have accepted it from consumer side of things given how people were paying even $500 more for graphic cards.

I also don't know how suddenly production couldn't keep up with supply of electronic devices. Somehow demand for them went up 500 times. Why again? Were they even selling anything before stupid corona? Seems like they haven't.

Oh please I hope building a new PC won't be just an idea yet again over time. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

now its just to wait for all those intel fabs, just have elon buy one for the space race. jk

Teslas are still relying on TSMC chips because the embedded intel ones were awful.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 5/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, Stahlmann said:

At this point they can do with their prices what they want. What are their customers gonna do? Buy from someone else?

In theory Global Foundries still exists as an option for things that don't need cutting edge nodes; their most recent node being 12nm FinFET iirc cos they cancelled their 7nm node.

Intel's fab business also exists in theory but that's probably insanely expensive.

On 5/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, Stahlmann said:

Invest billions into building ther own fabs?

If the last 2 years have shown us anything, then it's that companies like these things to excuse their own price hikes even when they're not impacted that much. There are many companies that use current events around the world and raise their prices while operating as usual, but use the same excuse as others that actually suffer from shortages. That is very apparent with many products currently being made in the EU and with everything going on in Ukraine.

Unfortunately yes.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

In theory Global Foundries still exists as an option for things that don't need cutting edge nodes; their most recent node being 12nm FinFET iirc cos they cancelled their 7nm node.

Intel's fab business also exists in theory but that's probably insanely expensive.

Unfortunately yes.

The next problem is that their silicon is optimized for the note they're currently using (afaik). They can't just use another node without investing a huge amount of work.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

A 5% change in material cost shouldn't effect final product consumer cost, that is based on market factors more than the components themselves.

If (perfect world theory) noone bought 4000 series gpus, Nvidia would be forced to lower the price until people bought the cards. Even at a loss, this is also why console manufacturers often take major losses on their hardware and make it up in high margin games (ever notice digital purchase games cost the same as physical copies?) console buyers are competitive at $3-400 any more and it's not going to sell, same with the Nintendo Switch and steamdeck. These have drifted in price higher and "pro" models often market a higher price to cause the subtle drift but that's just how the market shifts.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 5/16/2022 at 5:56 AM, Quackers101 said:

No doubt Elon would claim he could open a fab tomorrow "its not that hard". 😂

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7