Windows 11 is getting more disgusting by the "Insider" Update

darknessblade
11 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Glad I stuck with 10, I'm never installing this mess... What's next, removing File Explorer and replacing it with something in Edge? 

It's not bad if you use explorerpatcher or startallback but using it naked as is would be something I couldn't wish on my worst enemy* 😛

*Mostly because they moved the 'wish on worst enemy' setting

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It's not bad if you use explorerpatcher or startallback but using it naked as is would be something I couldn't wish on my worst enemy* 😛

*Mostly because they moved the 'wish on worst enemy' setting

Yeah it now takes 20 clicks instead of 2. and you have to go to a Certain submenu, that is also in the wrong main menu. just to enable that button in yet another menu.

For a total of 40 clicks

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

While this change is something that won't affect 99.99% of the userbase, I'm still mildly concerned that they're actually wasting development time on something so insignificant. Don't they have anything better to do?

It's been ages since Win11 was announced and now it's been live for some time, and I'm still yet to hear about any meaningful improvements it has made to Win10. It seems like the disadvantages far outweight what few advantages there are.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I'd really hope and expect not cutting and dumbimg down control. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

If they think it's important to change, why not put an option in the right click menu to go in to "edit mode" and then you can move stuff around?

I haven't personally moved any of them around.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Giganthrax said:

few advantages there are.

As far as i can see it 11 has 0....

Is open shell still working on 11?

havent used my desktop in like a week

3 hours ago, porina said:

I still consider Windows 2000 (not to be confused with Windows Millennium Edition) as the last graphical OS before MS started to make the UI less friendly to use.

Windows 2000 Professional was the superior OS for agesss. Only until it was too obsolete.

Lol, this is hilarious. Big new version, dumber and more limited than its previous version. And people complain Apple does tiny upgrades to everything. At least they make reliable progress, even if small. Look at idiot Microsoft literally going backwards with progress and goes even further with every release. It's like we're living in a Twilight Zone or something.

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Windows 2000 Professional was the superior OS for agesss. Only until it was too obsolete.

Yep in an old job I had a desktop PC with win2k pro installed on partition, RedHat (forget which version) on another ... and could use VMWare to boot linux using raw storage configuration where I needed to be in Windows for some particular reason.  Literally the good old days.

57 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I heard that there are, like, some improvements for multiple monitor setups, HDR screens, and whatnot. There was some other stuff but it's so irrelevant to me that I forgot what it is. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

5 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

I heard that there are, like, some improvements for multiple monitor setups, HDR screens, and whatnot. There was some other stuff but it's so irrelevant to me that I forgot what it is. 

HDR is still the same. It was never broken to begin with. It's just that most people have HDR400 screens at best and wonder why HDR looks terrible. If you have a proper HDR monitor then you can leave it enabled on W10 just like you can in W11 and not lose SDR image quality. At least that's my experience from someone that owned several different "HDR" monitors all the way from pseudo HDR400/600 to FALD HDR1000 and OLED HDR10.

The Auto-HDR feature they introduced does nothing to improve image quality. It just makes SDR content to scale to the same peak brightness as HDR content on your monitor, which in most cases results in an uncomfortably bright image. HDR needs a different mastering process and this feature makes it apparent why that is.

The only thing is that it remembers where you put your windows on a multi-monitor setup and it can automatically move them over when you disable/enable monitors. But for people that have their multi-monitor setup enabled 24/7 this feature does nothing.

So unless you're constantly enabling or disabling 2nd monitors W11 doesn't really offer anything of value as far as i can tell.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

This is similar to the response to the tablet mode in win10, I agree that it makes more sense to abandon tablet interface for win11.

We'll see what happens when they finally release this next major update with ads in explorer, forced tablet features, further tpm locks, spec watermarks and just poor communication with their users overall. It really does seem like they want pirates and "custom" editions to be the norm.

Maybe the newest EU bill will push for better user control but it's just as likely to geo-lock an edition for those countries

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

7 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I push most icons into the dropdown because i don't like a cluttered task bar. I simply don't want 5 (or more, i've seen some things on other PC's) blinking icons on the bottom right of my screen.

I think windows standard setting is that most of them is in the drop down and just show for a few sec when something special is happening.

7 hours ago, porina said:

Curious what people end up with down there. I always show all, and if I don't have a need for it, it doesn't exist in the first place. Only one of mine is animated at all: Task Manager.

None of these I want to see all the time, I dont really use any of them as buttons or anything, so they stay in the drop down thingy becuase I dont want useless stuff showing on the taskbar:

image.png.08d41f6ed8ea90cb2748306a79c577d1.png

As for Spotify or Discord they are on the normal place on the taskbar all the time so its worthless over there.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Their platform...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Their platform...

If you want to say "Their platform their rules"

I herby refer to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrowserChoice.eu

║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║

1 hour ago, darknessblade said:

If you want to say "Their platform their rules"

This is also sarcasm

✨FNIGE✨

cant be mad about removing stuff from control pannel. Just kill it and have all the setting in one app instead of some is both, half in only one and like 20% in only the other

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Herrscher of Whatever said:

All I see was just Microsoft devs shuffling around the settings to make it less prone to drag accidents and make it more handleable for tablets, you know, because tablets are by default cluncky and large, and thus more prone to touch activations.

Add a lock thing to unlock settings? Like MacOS had for decades? 

11 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Glad I stuck with 10, I'm never installing this mess... What's next, removing File Explorer and replacing it with something in Edge? 

it was talked about blending file and browser into one. (years ago?)

I guess that is still not on the table.

2 hours ago, darknessblade said:

their country, their rules

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

These threads always make me chuckle.

Win95 - I’m never moving to Win98 because blah, blah

Win98 - I’m never moving to vista “Fair enough on that one”

Win XP - I’m never moving to Win 7

Win7 - I’m never moving to Win 8 “Another fair enough”

Win10 - I’m sticking to Win 7 as Win10 is crap.

Two notable versions aside, every new version is hated until the next arrival, when the previous hated version becomes loved. When Win12 arrives I bet Win11 will be as

defended as Win10 is now.

On 3/29/2022 at 7:43 PM, Arika S said:

I didn't even know ou could reorder the system tray, why do people even need to reorder the system tray?

some people only want to see specific system icons on their taskbar. For example, i have mine set up to show my open game launchers and discord, but others like all their icons hidden and some maniacs people prefer every single icon on their taskbar at once.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

24 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

These threads always make me chuckle.

Win95 - I’m never moving to Win98 because blah, blah

Win98 - I’m never moving to vista “Fair enough on that one”

Win XP - I’m never moving to Win 7

Win7 - I’m never moving to Win 8 “Another fair enough”

Win10 - I’m sticking to Win 7 as Win10 is crap.

Two notable versions aside, every new version is hated until the next arrival, when the previous hated version becomes loved. When Win12 arrives I bet Win11 will be as

defended as Win10 is now.

The reason Win10  was somewhat liked is because Microsoft did not shove the TOUCH improved Start menu into your throat.

it was not loved, but liked, because people still had a choice. and where not forced to instantly adapt to entirely different layout

With windows 11 they are forcing you to use it. just like with windows 8