Windows 11 is getting more disgusting by the "Insider" Update

darknessblade

I gave Microsoft some slack earlier because:  

On 4/4/2022 at 12:58 PM, LAwLz said:

if it is still possible to reorganize them then it's fine. I don't need drag and drop support. Hell, it might actually be better without drag and drop support, so that people like me don't accidentally change it.

Well, I installed the update and as it turns out, it seems like we have lost some customization options.

You can still change which icons are hidden behind the arrow button, but it does not seem like you can change the order.

Or well, you CAN change the order of the icons by clicking "show" and "hide" in a particular order, but as soon as you restart the OS the order will become the order the programs start in. The program that starts first will be furthest to the left.

Awful change. I hope Microsoft changes this. This is such a basic thing that I don't really buy the potential argument that "it's not finished yet, give them some time". It just seems like an oversight or that Microsoft don't care.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I hope Microsoft changes this. This is such a basic thing that I don't really buy the potential argument that "it's not finished yet, give them some time".

it requires at least 14 years of engineering work, 10 years of designing and at least 15 years of coding to do such a thing since they need to start from the start because new platform that they didn't build themselves. For that kind of functionality we need to expect at least couple decades for even preliminary test with animals and if rabbits and dogs survive it we can expect to see it in the insider program (mostly this kind of testing is because Microsoft couldn't hire more in-house testers because they all found out the work was far too dangerous and most of them can be found from your local madhouse today). There needs to be also at least 2 million dollars initial budget for marketing this feature and 3 millions to take out to lunch couple classification officials so they can get a military grade classification for the function for no reason and these are of course only the first years budget (and you cannot forget the project leaders new Maybach car for representation purposes and couple outfits perfected with matching Rolexes).

In reality the project to change the order of the icons will be terminated after 25 years, 10 million dollars and just few bugs left because someone in the marketing design team found out that users might arrange icons so that they look ugly on 600x800 black and white screen with privacy filter. Most of the money was spend to lubricate the project managements throats and the official statement is "it's perfect as it is, if you don't like it fix it yourself".

12 hours ago, Thaldor said:

it requires at least 14 years of engineering work, 10 years of designing and at least 15 years of coding to do such a thing since they need to start from the start because new platform that they didn't build themselves. For that kind of functionality we need to expect at least couple decades for even preliminary test with animals and if rabbits and dogs survive it we can expect to see it in the insider program (mostly this kind of testing is because Microsoft couldn't hire more in-house testers because they all found out the work was far too dangerous and most of them can be found from your local madhouse today). There needs to be also at least 2 million dollars initial budget for marketing this feature and 3 millions to take out to lunch couple classification officials so they can get a military grade classification for the function for no reason and these are of course only the first years budget (and you cannot forget the project leaders new Maybach car for representation purposes and couple outfits perfected with matching Rolexes).

In reality the project to change the order of the icons will be terminated after 25 years, 10 million dollars and just few bugs left because someone in the marketing design team found out that users might arrange icons so that they look ugly on 600x800 black and white screen with privacy filter. Most of the money was spend to lubricate the project managements throats and the official statement is "it's perfect as it is, if you don't like it fix it yourself".

It's a shame Microsoft is a small indie company. I totally understand that they do not have the resources to program a "remember icon position" function in Windows, but at least let me dream a bit.

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's a shame Microsoft is a small indie company.

Agree, imagine if it was any more popular and was not only known by the hi-end PC users. If was then maybe we would get more useful features built into the system. Shame it ain't popular tbh

On 4/6/2022 at 4:43 AM, YamiYukiSenpai said:

I'm only using Windows 11 in a VM to play games that won't work on Linux at all (i.e. anti-cheat), and the "simplifications" are pissing me off.

I only found out recently that their "widgets" require a Microsoft account.

And since I got less than 5 years left on 10, figured I'd jump ship & just mod 11 if it pissed me off enough (and it did).847097383_2022-04-0522_39_43-Greenshot.thumb.png.60e16318b74a4bae61f383a36b858a35.png127891311_2022-04-0522_38_12-Greenshot.thumb.png.f13e0e1b8562c8c807250b6783d8024d.png

Oh boy, you haven't seen the dumbest thing yet. Not only that, if you have Widgets button enabled in the Taskbar, but not other functions like Search (so that Widgets button is right next to Start), it'll be canceling out Start menu if you want to go with mouse from opening Start menu straight to "Shutdown" button. Because if you just hover over Widgets button, it pops up and closes Start and the direct path from Start menu to Shutdown button goes straight across Widgets button. Top notch design. How can a multibillion company like Microsoft screw up something this basic is just beyond baffling.

Other thing is the Widgets panel and it's stupid "News" filling it from top to bottom. With no god damn way to just turn all this shit off. You literally just can't. If you have nothing selected, it just throws in some garbage news and if you want to manually untick them all somehow (which you need to do in stupid Edge for some fucked up reason), it'll just present you endless list of "News" sources that you need to manually click "Hide" on every single one of them. After 2 minutes of clicking I said fuck this and removed the dumb useless widgets panel. I haven't seen anything more stupid in my life and I make basic tweak tools and programs for a hobby. And here is a corporation that has AAA developers and spends billions on stuff and they cna't make most basic "hello world" shit right is just insane.

The requirement to have an account is just a rotten cherry on top.

15 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Oh boy, you haven't seen the dumbest thing yet. Not only that, if you have Widgets button enabled in the Taskbar, but not other functions like Search (so that Widgets button is right next to Start), it'll be canceling out Start menu if you want to go with mouse from opening Start menu straight to "Shutdown" button. Because if you just hover over Widgets button, it pops up and closes Start and the direct path from Start menu to Shutdown button goes straight across Widgets button. Top notch design. How can a multibillion company like Microsoft screw up something this basic is just beyond baffling.

Other thing is the Widgets panel and it's stupid "News" filling it from top to bottom. With no god damn way to just turn all this shit off. You literally just can't. If you have nothing selected, it just throws in some garbage news and if you want to manually untick them all somehow (which you need to do in stupid Edge for some fucked up reason), it'll just present you endless list of "News" sources that you need to manually click "Hide" on every single one of them. After 2 minutes of clicking I said fuck this and removed the dumb useless widgets panel. I haven't seen anything more stupid in my life and I make basic tweak tools and programs for a hobby. And here is a corporation that has AAA developers and spends billions on stuff and they cna't make most basic "hello world" shit right is just insane.

The requirement to have an account is just a rotten cherry on top.

Ugh! That news button that's not a button by default.  Who in their right mind thought a hover is the best way to open that?

My workplace is using Windows 10 on old Dell Optiplex with primarily 3rd gen Intel i3.  That stupid thing slows down the system big time.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

On 4/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, RejZoR said:

Because if you just hover over Widgets button, it pops up and closes Start and the direct path from Start menu to Shutdown button goes straight across Widgets button.

"Oh look how many users using the widgets so it most be pretty good, lets keep it!"

They are doctoring their statistics.....

On 3/29/2022 at 6:31 AM, Mel0nMan said:

Glad I stuck with 10, I'm never installing this mess... What's next, removing File Explorer and replacing it with something in Edge? 

DONT GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!