Windows 11 is getting more disgusting by the "Insider" Update

darknessblade
18 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

The reason Win10  was somewhat liked is because Microsoft did not shove the TOUCH improved Start menu into your throat.

it was not loved, but liked, because people still had a choice. and where not forced to instantly adapt to entirely different layout

With windows 11 they are forcing you to use it. just like with windows 8

It is different I agree, but something that we can either get used to of change with a little skinning. We can go back to the old start menu, even back to the Win95 style one if we choose. 

There is plenty I do not like about Win11, such as the new copy/paste icons etc Again, I can change that to the way I am used to with a little effort.

Personally I prefer the way Apple change things, they do it in more subtle way with each update. In the Camera world Canon keep the UI and ergonomics consistent with subtle changes with each new model. Nikon less so and Sony just have everything different with every model. I am too old to adapt in pressure situations, my muscle memory is burnt in after 20 years of Canon usage. But if I have to change brands at some point I will learn to adapt. Same with Win!!, it takes a little time but quicker than most seem to make out. Our brains are quite good at change and it is actually healthy for out grey matter.

45 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

Win XP - I’m never moving to Win 7

Then i was in the minority, used it since RTM and it wasnt a question if ill switch over to it..... 8 and upwards on the other hand is the "hell no" category. MS is still trying to serve a non-existent market and abandon their well established one for it.

See… I want to like Windows 11 but I’ve tried it on and off for a few months now but it’s a buggy mess. Glitchy start menu, explorer crashing randomly, taskbar responding slowly. Sometimes my sound menu dies for minutes at a time so I have to adjust volume using volume keys on my keyboard etc…. 

I’ll stick with Windows 10 until it’s end of life and then if windows 11 is still a mess by then I’ll swap to Linux. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 hours ago, sof006 said:

See… I want to like Windows 11 but I’ve tried it on and off for a few months now but it’s a buggy mess. Glitchy start menu, explorer crashing randomly, taskbar responding slowly. Sometimes my sound menu dies for minutes at a time so I have to adjust volume using volume keys on my keyboard etc…. 

I’ll stick with Windows 10 until it’s end of life and then if windows 11 is still a mess by then I’ll swap to Linux. 

So far on the machine I have switched all has been OK. No stability issues but the UI is not as intuitive as it should be IMO. I did have the slow AMD problems but that seems to have been fixed. This particular machine I switched just so I could play with 11. It is not my most used system but one I do a lot of photo editing and 3D design on. As such gaming has been limited to the odd Doom session which has been fine.

6 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

Two notable versions aside, every new version is hated until the next arrival, when the previous hated version becomes loved. When Win12 arrives I bet Win11 will be as

defended as Win10 is now.

just moving the bar, and when you know it will no longer supported and dealing with the pros and cons.

While apple seems to focus on more pros vs on more cons between versions and features.

Reject Windows, Embrace LInux. Also very few people actually want to use Windows in Tablet mode for any period of time. Removing features even if they are very minor is always a very stupid move...

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:11 AM, soldier_ph said:

Reject Windows, Embrace LInux. Also very few people actually want to use Windows in Tablet mode for any period of time. Removing features even if they are very minor is always a very stupid move...

Linux in tablet mode sounds even less appealing... 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

27 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Linux in tablet mode sounds even less appealing... 

It depends entirely on the DE,

KDE Plasma would be pretty terrible, but GNOME could make it work (tho still, not a great experience)

And ofc, there's a distro optimised for the JingPad, JingOS which so happens to look like an iPadOS clone.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

People like to talk about how small the tablet user base is for windows, but do we actual have any statistics on this? Is this a chicken/egg problem? i.e it's probably a growing demographic that MS really needs to tap into and make windows work for if they want to maintain market share given the growth of the tablet market.   If so then all this Shit canning of MS for trying to move with the times seems a bit ignorant (maybe even contradictory for the amount of shit they get for legacy support etc). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

People like to talk about how small the tablet user base is for windows, but do we actual have any statistics on this?

Just watch out for 2-in-1 laptops and take a look at their screens, tells the same thing that is said here. Havent seen a single one that looked like the owner used the touch feature.

24 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Just watch out for 2-in-1 laptops and take a look at their screens, tells the same thing that is said here. Havent seen a single one that looked like the owner used the touch feature.

I agree a touch screen is a weird thing on laptops, I never seen the point of getting the screen covered in fingerprints when you could just use the keyboard and trackpad.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

People like to talk about how small the tablet user base is for windows, but do we actual have any statistics on this? Is this a chicken/egg problem? i.e it's probably a growing demographic that MS really needs to tap into and make windows work for if they want to maintain market share given the growth of the tablet market.   If so then all this Shit canning of MS for trying to move with the times seems a bit ignorant (maybe even contradictory for the amount of shit they get for legacy support etc). 

I don't have any problem with MS making windows work with tablets, but just don't force it on everyone with windows 11, features taken away and a taskbar and start menu optimized for tablets, its a worse experience unless you download patches to bring back features.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

The number of active Surface Pro/ Book devices would be a good start as that's the most popular Windows tablet out there. I highly doubt Surface Pro buyers are buying those just to be using them like a regular laptop. If they are... just why? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 3/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, Herrscher of Whatever said:

Reading from the Microsoft link, I find the one change that will probably annoy me:

Screenshot_20220329-180622.png

How fucking backwards is this. IIRC W95 even had it this way!

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

On 3/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, Dean0919 said:

Never even liked this moronic OS. Just tried when it came out and as soon as I saw how they castrated it, went back to Windows 10 quickly and these news just made my choice more convincing for me that I made a right choice by staying with Windows 10.

How did you revert back to W10? 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't have any problem with MS making windows work with tablets, but just don't force it on everyone with windows 11, features taken away and a taskbar and start menu optimized for tablets, its a worse experience unless you download patches to bring back features.

They haven't taken the feature away though, they have just moved it so it isn't a problem when used in touch screen mode. 

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Still a chicken/egg problem though, How do we know people don't use touch screen windows because they don't want to as opposed to it being a shit experience because MS haven't properly made it better for touch screens?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

41 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Still a chicken/egg problem though, How do we know people don't use touch screen windows because they don't want to as opposed to it being a shit experience because MS haven't properly made it better for touch screens?

I think its both, lets face it windows was never good for touch screens and still isnt good enough(probably never will). Plus its just way too bloated for a portable device that is comfortable to hold but still has great battery life and wont lag out under this resource hog.

45 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I think its both, lets face it windows was never good for touch screens and still isnt good enough(probably never will). Plus its just way too bloated for a portable device that is comfortable to hold but still has great battery life and wont lag out under this resource hog.

Windows Phone OS was actually really nice to use and could run on basically anything. Microsoft could make a proper mobile/tablet experience OS if they would just stop trying to jam the classic Windows through the hole, ffs you have better starting points than full Windows or start fresh.

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

It could be, but then again we already have the tablet mode in the Windows 10 that has done pretty much nothing for that userbase. Microsoft has advetured to the touch screen world with specific OS'es already (Windows RT and Windows Mobile) and fucked up both times, so now they want to turn their desktop OS in to a touch screen OS because that's a thing? Like seriously, when tablets came and were the thing people were talking about touch screens taking over and keyboards and mouses becoming extinct, that was over a decade ago. Tablet market basicly died and became iPad market with Samsung in it. Touch screen 2-in-1s and laptops are a thing but quite rare. Desktops with touch screens? Yeah you can get a touch screen for your desktop and they are a real things but if there's more Wacoms with screens on market than monitors with touch screens, that tells you a lot.

So now Microsoft makes Windows 11 that has basicly nothing past virtualization and other more professional and business oriented features over Windows 10 and makes its UI basicly touch screen only. And they think that now that they are making a touch screen UI everyone and their dogs will be running to shops to buy touch screens to enjoy the new future Windows 11 gave birth to? For that there should first be more than just the OS, looking at the touch monitor market, there is very little products to choose from (1440p or 4K? What a joke, basic line is 1366x768 with most in the 1080p with 4K costing "just a lot" and 60Hz that is, nothing more, sizes well there is 21.5" and 23.8" and 15.6" and then we go to the 43" and 55" territory). So basicly Microsoft turned Windows 11 for a userbase, that isn't there, for devices, that ain't there, and expects all this controversy, fuckery and incompetence would bring the users and the device manufacturer to there? Good luck with that.

Maybe if there was some kind of new coming of touch screens, like Apple moved to use them and made them great for desktop use, maybe some left hook from Samsung or Lenovo with a monitor with a build-in Android device with touch screen, gradual move to use glass coated monitors or mobile devices as monitors for their sceens or something. But there is just Windows 11 and the Surface laptops and last time I asked around they weren't really selling that well.

I will just this here because the premises of it are basicly the same (userbase elsewhere and not interested waiting for something that comes for them and company going 180-degrees wrong way):

I only have Steam, Afterburner, Rivatuner and Discord down in the tray 95% of the time so i don't even use the overflow.  Sure the Mic symbol pops up when i'm in a call and GOG or Bettle.net when i'm playing a game from either of those services.  but i don't have them open unless i'm doing that

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Microsoft could make a proper mobile/tablet experience OS

They already did (wp/win8) and flopped hard-core.....

11 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

They already did (wp/win8) and flopped hard-core.....

Yes they didn't do well in the phone market but that's still a much better starting point for a tablet OS than full Windows is. Windows Phone OS itself was not the reason for the failure in that market.

22 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Windows Phone OS itself was not the reason for the failure in that market.

It was just an OS that was capable of doing what android/ios could so no-one was interested. MS wasnt able to innovate anything, still cant. Only thing keeping them afloat is their monopoly which honestly should've been broken up a long time ago.

15 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It was just an OS that was capable of doing what android/ios could so no-one was interested

Literally my point, if Microsoft wants to push a tablet OS then this is the starting point not full Windows. My old AF Nokia 635 still boots faster and is more responsive OS than my S10 Android lol.

I think you are 1000% missing the point. DON'T START WITH WINDOWS FOR A TABLET OS. Clear enough? 🙃

I you baseline using full Windows you've already failed to make a tablet OS, done deal, cannot succeed.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I think you are 1000% missing the point. DON'T START WITH WINDOWS FOR A TABLET OS. Clear enough?

Got it 1st time 😉 . I was trying to point to the catch22 ms has. If its full winows it wont run well on tablets so it will flop, if they make it from the ground up it wont run any sw users want so it will flop too.....

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

My old AF Nokia 635 still boots faster and is more responsive OS than my S10 Android lol.

Ditch the factory FW, you will be pleasantly surprised.

19 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Got it 1st time 😉 . I was trying to point to the catch22 ms has. If its full winows it wont run well on tablets so it will flop, if they make it from the ground up it wont run any sw users want so it will flop too.....

Ditch the factory FW, you will be pleasantly surprised.

It doesn’t have to flop with a ground up OS. Apple have shown they can go to a whole new silicon yet still get software to run really well. M$ with all their resources could surely achieve it. I agree it is not going to be easy though.

It is funny seeing M$ get lambasted for trying to go a full OS on a tablet, and Apple similar for not going full desktop OS on theirs.