AirTags used to stalk women

Montana One-Six

Summary

Brooks Nader, a model, found an Apple AirTag that apparently was slipped into her coat while she was out in New York City. Her phone alerted her that an unknown item has been following her for about 5 hours. She isn't the first one to report something like that. There have been numerous other women who were apparently stalked with the help of AirTags since their release.

Quotes

Brooks Nader, 26, claims the disturbing incident occurred Wednesday night while she was out in New York City, and she only realized it when her iPhone alerted her to the fact that an “unknown accessory” was moving with her. “This ‘device’ followed me for the last five hours to every location and [it belonged to] no one in my ‘network.’ It also wasn’t a phone or tablet, it was an ‘item,'” she explained. “For those asking, it’s not my AirTag, it’s someone randoms, who must have slipped it into my belongings while out. Thank you all for checking in and sending helpful articles. I want this to be a PSA to all my ladies to please please check your belongings.”

Nader is hardly the first woman to be stalked with the aid of Apple tech. In Mississippi, a 27-year-old woman called police on Dec. 27 after receiving a notification on her iPhone that she had an unregistered AirTag on her person. Also last month, a Maryland woman took to Twitter to share her disturbing tale of a stalker attaching an AirTag to her car before she left a bar in the early hours of the morning. And, back in July, a Texas woman went viral on TikTok after revealing an AirTag had been placed in her purse and used by an unknown person to gauge her whereabouts.

My thoughts

Realistically AirTags didn't start this but made it significantly easier to do such things, as it is simple, cheap and they are easy to hide because of their size. Without an iPhone you most likely will not notice that someone is tracking you with an AirTag if you don't find it physically. Even the iPhone is only reporting it after a few hours. Which could be enough for a stalker to get vital information from that. Another issue could be the amount of time you spend in range of the AirTag that is stalking you, like if it is in your car or jacket. If you use those things only for about an hour at a time max and then leave the range of the AirTag for several hours it could be possible to be stalked for a lot longer before your iPhone will warn you about it.

Sources

https://nypost.com/2022/01/07/sports-illustrated-model-is-latest-victim-of-airtag-stalker/

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

"Hey Steve, why is the tag saying it's at that sewer grate?"
"Dunno, maybe the lady climbed down to escape us?"

I'm glad that this doesn't allow tracking any AirTag and instead being like "hey someone stuck an AirTag on you and now you can be located anywhere".

$10 says parents buy these up and plant them on their kids.

elephants

As things like this become smaller, it was only a matter of time before it started happening. You could buy cheapish car trackers for decades. This is just a continuation of that. I'd really wonder how many people it's happening to. I don't think it's prolific as media will make it seem, as pretty much everything these days is blown out of proportion so that they can get clicks and revenue from ads.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

As things like this become smaller, it was only a matter of time before it started happening. You could buy cheapish car trackers for decades. This is just a continuation of that. I'd really wonder how many people it's happening to. I don't think it's prolific as media will make it seem, as pretty much everything these days is blown out of proportion so that they can get clicks and revenue from ads.

I would think that it's being used as spousal tracking a lot more than what people would expect though.  Problem with things like car trackers is that they still cost a decent chunk of change (requires sim card, data plan, the device itself).  AirTags makes it affordable and in the realm of anyone being able to do it.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

It's a solved issue. The AirTag itself will sound an audible alert after a random 8 to 24 hour period of being separated from the iPhone it's registered with. As for tracking family members, Apple recommends the Apple Watch with family setup.

What I do see happening however is some law that requires ID and a background check (felons banned for example) before buying any device that allows for tracking; with the tag registered to the owner. So basically, you couldn't buy them as a gift for someone which would be the tradeoff.

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Just because it's going to be exaggerated doesn't mean it's not a serious problem. That these devices can be used to covertly stalk people is something that's going to need to be addressed as they get ever smaller and more capable.

IMO there's a bonus creepy factor with Airtags because your own phone/the phones of your friends and family are assisting in stalking you by reporting your location to the owner of the Airtag, but that's beside the point.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

24 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

$10 says parents buy these up and plant them on their kids.

Well, now I'm paranoid.....

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

12 minutes ago, StDragon said:

It's a solved issue. The AirTag itself will sound an audible alert after a random 8 to 24 hour period of being separated from the iPhone it's registered with. As for tracking family members, Apple recommends the Apple Watch with family setup.

What I do see happening however is some law that requires ID and a background check (felons banned for example) before buying any device that allows for tracking; with the tag registered to the owner. So basically, you couldn't buy them as a gift for someone which would be the tradeoff.

Well I mean, it's not really a "solved" issue.  "8 to 24 hour period" is a whole lot of time, enough to reveal someones house.  It is what it is though, a tradeoff.  The ability to find lost items, vs the ability to track someone.  Everyone will have differing opinions on where they draw the line in regards to how far is too far when it comes to it.  For myself, it hits close to home in that I know someone who has an active stalker, so I feel that notifying someone 5 hours after the fact is way too long.  I get that there are other ways and such, but we are talking about a giant network of phones that Apple has effectively enabled

Examples of how it could be abused, celebrity meet and greets where it's slipped onto them at the end of greeting...now you might know where the celebrity lives.  Similar things to politicians, an easy way to track down where they live...or like in this case stalking someone from a bar.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Cheap and small GPS units have been around for a long time. However Apple should not be making this so easy. The fact that this isn't GPS but rather works due to a creepy as heck shadow network that uses bluetooth signals and triangulation to track you. I mean what a privacy crap show!  Maybe instead of sending out a Bluetooth signal to an entire network they only allow these to work like a normal Bluetooth tracker and it can only connect to one device and only works in normal Bluetooth range.

Maybe it's a strategy to sell iphones. Want to be warned when you're being stalked using our product? Better buy our other product...

On 1/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

I would think that it's being used as spousal tracking a lot more than what people would expect though

Honestly if you pull this on your spouse you probably deserve to be cheated on...

On 1/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, StDragon said:

It's a solved issue. The AirTag itself will sound an audible alert after a random 8 to 24 hour period of being separated from the iPhone it's registered with.

Nice, I'm sure absolutely nothing bad can happen within 8 hours of your every move being tracked by a stalker. Not to mention that, by the time you realize, the stalker might know where you and/or your friends or family live, your daily routine and more. Plus there's no guarantee you'll actually be around to hear it when it sounds the alert.

I hope someone finds a way to jam this trash in a 100m radius.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Next: Apple Collar Max

FYI - GPS Ankle bracelets exist for law enforcement. They're primarily used to ensure the offender is adhering to curfew by being at home at a certain time or staying away from a residence outside the geofenced region.

One such example below.
https://www.sentineladvantage.com/om400/ 

1 hour ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Maybe instead of sending out a Bluetooth signal to an entire network they only allow these to work like a normal Bluetooth tracker and it can only connect to one device and only works in normal Bluetooth range.

That kind of defeats the entire point of Airtags however. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

i bet the media starts calling it the stalkertag since it's that easy, don't even need a custom service nor equiment.

$45 AUD and you have the ability to track your target for at least 8 hours without them knowing.

i wonder how long until apple pulls this and shuts down the service due to the amount of abuse it's getting...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

3 hours ago, StDragon said:

Apple recommends the Apple Watch with family setup.

lol, of course they do. $30 for an airtag or $300+ for an Apple watch....

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- GPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB
RAM: 32GB @ 4800 MTs

Storage: OEM 1TB M.2
Display: Main 1800p@120Hz OLED + Screnpad Plus 2880x864@120Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

This is not surprising.

As previously mentioned, there is a very fine line between allowing you to track your own lost belongings, and the ability to use it nefariously to track a non-consenting third party.

Something to mention: Apple released an Android App that allows you to detect tags that have been away from the owner enough to be flagged as lost. So you *do not* need an iPhone to tell if you're being tracked.

Something definitely needs to be done though. The idea of having these registered by the owner and showing ID before purchasing isn't a horrible idea (though God Forbid what the "freedom" folks will think of that - also good luck getting all the various countries to agree on similar legislation).

I do agree that 8-24 hours is way too long, if you're literally being stalked. Especially if they're clever enough to keep coming in range of the tag to reset the timer. I don't know the exact range but since it's Bluetooth, they could literally be outside your home, and be in range of the tag, thus preventing it from ever alerting you. Some bluetooth devices easily get upwards of 30 feet of range.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

That kind of defeats the entire point of Airtags however. 

How in what planet do you need a GPS like system to find whatever you stuck the air tag on? I mean a tile device works just fine and no one is getting stalked with those.

Good to know Apple is really looking out for your privacy....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I mean what a privacy crap show!  Maybe instead of sending out a Bluetooth signal to an entire network they only allow these to work like a normal Bluetooth tracker and it can only connect to one device and only works in normal Bluetooth range.

Sure.

but when tile trackers came out no one was pissed like this....

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

How in what planet do you need a GPS like system to find whatever you stuck the air tag on? I mean a tile device works just fine and no one is getting stalked with those.

A tile device works with bluetooth, so someone can't be stalked as easily with a tile device.

6 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Sure.

but when tile trackers came out no one was pissed like this....

That is because a tile works on bluetooth, and doesn't require an iphone if you don't want to find if you've been tracked for 8 hours.

24 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

AirTags don't use GPS. Also you probably can stalk someone with a Tile device, it's just not quite as easy.

Anyway the point of the AirTag system is that if you lose something, you might not know exactly where to look (within BT range), so the idea is that it allows other devices to help look for you.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

A tile device works with bluetooth, so someone can't stalked as easily with a tile device.

That is because a tile works on bluetooth, and doesn't require an iphone if you don't want to find if you've been tracked for 8 hours.

Note: You don't need an iPhone. There's an Android App for that.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Her phone alerted her that an unknown item has been following her for about 5 hours. 

So the anti-stalking feature worked as intended and this is basically non-issue.

It's also not like stalking is a new phenomenon or as though Airtags are really a huge improvement in a stalking toolkit.  Hell get someone's license plate and you have their home address for $5 lookup fee.  Spend $20 and I can find every cell phone number you've ever had.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

14 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Note: You don't need an iPhone. There's an Android App for that.

The app doesn't completely solve the problem, anyone with an Android phone has to manually scan for an airtag.

So this still sounds like a clever way to sell iphones, a company that is supposed to be looking out for your privacy and safety only offers a limited way to scan, unless you have an iphone.

33 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I’ve an Airtag in my camera bag (sewn it between the layers rather than dropping it in a pocket), the thing carrying some $2500 worth of camera and lenses. I certainly hope not to need to use the Airtag, but that is another layer or safety net to save me a potential (pretty big) loss. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The app doesn't completely solve the problem, anyone with an Android phone has to manually scan for an airtag.

So this still sounds like a clever way to sell iphones, a company that is supposed to be looking out for your privacy and safety only offers a limited way to scan, unless you have an iphone.

I didn't say the Android App was perfect, but it's still an option.

Obviously Apple wants you to use their ecosystem - that doesn't make it a grand conspiracy. Though I do think their Android App should allow automatic scanning.

28 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A tile device works with bluetooth, so someone can't be stalked as easily with a tile device.

So do airtags?
and apple already released an app for android to adress it

plus tile trackers also use a network..

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler