Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1

BellLMG

This is part 1 in a series where Linus and Luke migrate their home workstation to Linux. In this episode, each decides which Distro they'll use, and then tries to run a game on it.

i dont understand why people are way to over hyping linus using linux. 

(i didnt watch it yet)

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, adarw said:

i dont understand why people are way to over hyping linus using linux. 

(i didnt watch it yet)

Its baffling to me. 

23 minutes ago, emosun said:

Linux is so opensource that it hates everyone equally 

Can't help but agree.
I was using Mint before but incompatability issues with my Radeon VII caused me to find another distro. It was always running the system in "CPU render mode" but did fine with an Nvidia card.
Since I'm not that "Skilled" at using Linux, that's why I was running Mint in the first place but if it's not going to work then it's really not of much use here. I eventually found Linux Peppermint 10 which DID run the card just fine, was about as easy to use as Mint and just worked.

In fact that's what I'm using now, it gets the job done and that's all I can ask for BUT know at the same time there is a real caveat with it too and it's no fault of the distro itself.

The Peppermint project lead/owner passed away early last year and since that time there has been alot of doubts if a new version will come to be, I've certainly not heard anything concrete about such a release so that's a real concern. As for whether or not Peppermint 10 is still viable, it is but you really can't say it's going to be relevant within the next few years at most with the current appearance of things as they are ATM.

I like it because it works, it's not hard to figure out, it's way easy on resources vs other distros, it's not that different or weird vs a traditional Windows layout but then again there is the named caveat about it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Oh boy !

Can't say that I'm surprised about sound issues, but that steam install on Pop!OS is a level of bullshit I did not expect.

Also I'd be interested to know what was the deal with the first game Linus tried, the Steam page clearly says it has a Linux native port so things should work out of the box...

10 minutes ago, Erus_Iluvatar said:

Oh boy !

Can't say that I'm surprised about sound issues, but that steam install on Pop!OS is a level of bullshit I did not expect.

Also I'd be interested to know what was the deal with the first game Linus tried, the Steam page clearly says it has a Linux native port so things should work out of the box...

cavestory runs perfectly fine on my linux computer. my best guess is Linus's unconventional way of using thunderbolt to connect his monitor to his computer could be the cause. although i also could not get my controller to work with cavestory.

Says it needs to remove the desktop environment.
Overrides with terminal
Surprised it explodes

Linux requires reading everything annoyingly carefully in my experience. Only run it for server level work. Mac (before Big Sur) or Windows for normal usage.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

LOL why did Pop remove your GUI? i've used Pop a number of times and i've always had issues with it but never like that lmao. 

points to Linus for going with something Arch based for gaming, Arch is typically MUCH more up-to-date than anything Ubuntu based, meaning he should(tm) have an easier time getting games to run in Wine, as the one manjaro ships with is much newer than the one Mint is theoretically using (unless they backport, idk i've never ran Mint). 

interestingly i've found over the last month or 2 of trying to game a bit more that Linux gaming is much further than it was even a year ago. Overwatch for example i've gotten to run completely smooth, even faster than Windows probably because of my hardware configuration (check signature), linux just handles that stuff better typically. 

She/Her

38 minutes ago, emosun said:

Linux is so opensource that it hates everyone equally 

That's not entirely correct,

Linux IS user friendly...

...it's just very picky about who its friends are 🤣

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

@simon.gauvinMerged to video thread.

He did search for the issue and bypassing the warning was a solution found on the net, just not to the right problem. Totally realistic situation in the "new user" context.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, simon.gauvin said:

It says that this shouldn't be done unless "you know exactly what you are doing".

5 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Says it needs to remove the desktop environment.
Overrides with terminal
Surprised it explodes

Linux requires reading everything annoyingly carefully in my experience. Only run it for server level work. Mac (before Big Sur) or Windows for normal usage.

i have about 8 years of linux experience, i've never seen a distro do ANYTHING like that before. Pop is a bad distro all round anyway but this just certified it in my mind. 

it's also important to note that if you use a distro that isn't stupid, this doesn't happen.

She/Her

Just now, GarytheGeek said:

cavestory runs perfectly fine on my linux computer. my best guess is his unconventional way of using thunderbolt to connect to his computer. although i also could not get my controller to work with cavestory.

Yeah, but it looks like it's the only thing so fare that has not liked his dock so... And contrarily to the WAN Show where he said he has a "standard" setup, IIRC HiDpi screens are still a pain in the ass on Linux, so maybe this is part of the reason too.

1 minute ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

i have about 8 years of linux experience, i've never seen a distro do ANYTHING like that before. Pop is a bad distro all round anyway but this just certified it in my mind. 

it's also important to note that if you use a distro that isn't stupid, this doesn't happen.

Ok, so you have some good amount of *nix exp. I've never heard bad things about Pop_OS (though I've never considered using it, as it seems redundant vs Ubuntu) but why is it bad?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

18 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Can't help but agree.
I was using Mint before but incompatability issues with my Radeon VII caused me to find another distro. It was always running the system in "CPU render mode" but did fine with an Nvidia card.

<snip>

there has been alot of doubts if a new version will come to be, I've certainly not heard anything concrete about such a release so that's a real concern. As for whether or not Peppermint 10 is still viable, it is but you really can't say it's going to be relevant within the next few years at most with the current appearance of things as they are ATM.

the reason why Mint didn't work for you is because they typically ship an older kernel. that increases stability, but means that any recent hardware won't work with it for a while until Mint updates their stuff. 

since peppermint will not be updated almost for sure, when it does go EOL i'd try Mint first, since that card will propably work now. if it does not work, try either Kubuntu non-lts, that has a newer kernel. or anything Arch based like Manjaro, but doing that does mean re-learning some commands if you are used to peppermint's terminal.

She/Her

I have the feeling that linus did not let the Pop Store update the packages in the background before he tried to install steam, this weird wonky install *might* be because of a bad package cache.

I've had weird issues with the pop store before, its definitely not polished, its *usable*, but this shouldn't happen *at all*.

Also i still blame linus for not heeding the warning and giving it a good reading before going "yes, do as i say", it made me seriously wonder if he is just that ignorant, or is doing it for entertainment value.

"Please know that it could happen to anyone not already known with linux"

You very much explicit installed it via the commandline, linus. At least the popstore prompt gave you no way to force-install it, but you removed all safety warnings and went in via the maintainance hatch to force through that install, dont be surprised. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, so you have some good amount of *nix exp. I've never heard bad things about Pop_OS (though I've never considered using it, as it seems redundant vs Ubuntu) but why is it bad?

a few reasons. 

- they include weird stuff like an in-house power management thing. great when it works, super bad when it doesn't as there's almost no documentation on how to turn it off or yeet it when it causes problems. 

- the packages they use are curated by them, not by Ubuntu's team. that means you can get newer stuff and newer nvidia drivers in some cases, but those aren't validated for that version of ubuntu and can cause massive issues. 

- they also include in-house gnome extentions. again, great when they work, but when they don't the official gnome documentation won't help you as the setup is not stock. to be clear Ubuntu has modified gnome too, but it has such a large install base that troubleshooting is relatively easy. 

and last but certainly not least i've found it to be very unpredictable and breaking things on it's own, like Linus showed us in the video 🤣

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

@simon.gauvinMerged to video thread.

He did search for the issue and bypassing the warning was a solution found on the net, just not to the right problem. Totally realistic situation in the "new user" context.

Yeah but you have to at least be able to read what your terminal says to you...

I get that Linux can be hard to get used to but if your terminal is telling you that what you are doing will literally delete your Desktop Env maybe you should think twice and not follow the advice you saw on the web.

It's not about being good with Linux, its about being able to read what's in front of you 

7 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

I have the feeling that linus did not let the Pop Store update the packages in the background before he tried to install steam, this weird wonky install *might* be because of a bad package cache.

I've had weird issues with the pop store before, its definitely not polished, its *usable*, but this shouldn't happen *at all*.

Also i still blame linus for not heeding the warning and giving it a good reading before going "yes, do as i say", it made me seriously wonder if he is just *that* ignorant, or is doing it for entertainment value.

Yes the issue was not updating the OS before trying to install steam. But that's the whole point of this section being illustrative of the problem, you install your OS, you don't get a prompt to install updates, you try to install steam, you run into a weird error, you google for that error, and what you find is "force install it", not "your repos might be out of date, update and retry".

4 minutes ago, simon.gauvin said:

I get that Linux can be hard to get used to but if your terminal is telling you that what you are doing will literally delete your Desktop Env maybe you should think twice and not follow the advice you saw on the web.

It doesn't say "this will delete your DE", it says "it might break things" but with zero information as to what/how/why or if it actually will or not... and forcing this is actually the "correct" solution in some cases, leading to that being found in searches.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, simon.gauvin said:

Yeah but you have to at least be able to read what your terminal says to you...

It's not about being good with Linux, its about being able to read what's in front of you 

it doesn't say it's gonna delete your desktop, it says it's gonna delete <insert packages> and then its up to you to know that it's gonna delete the desktop. 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

it doesn't say it's gonna delete your desktop, it says it's gonna delete <insert packages> and then its up to you to know that it's gonna delete the desktop. 

Warning: the following ESSENTIAL packages will be removed. This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you doing!

Pop-desktop session, pop session

Anybody that takes the time to read this will understand that they are doing something wrong