Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1

BellLMG
16 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

if you need any help you can DM me, i have like 8 years of linux experience, including getting windows games to run on it 🙂 

Do you know how to get DarlingHQ working? I have this issue: https://github.com/darlinghq/darling/issues/1060

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

1 minute ago, EDK Tech said:

Do you know how to get DarlingHQ working? I have this issue: https://github.com/darlinghq/darling/issues/1060

never tried it, i have seen a package in the AUR for it so on Arch(based) it should be easy. 

anyways, have you seen this? https://docs.darlinghq.org/build-instructions.html

She/Her

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Linus Ubuntu or an official flavor of it like Kubuntu is the way to go for new or even not so new users.  When it came to Linux you were a virgin.   That said even experts of the highest order don't use anything exotic.

This frankly. I don't know why people recommend distros like Manjaro or PopOS! to new users when they're relatively niche distros with not a lot of official support and backing. Fedora and Ubuntu are two user friendly choices with a lot of support. You can make changes to them so that they run games just like PopOS! would, but since you're making the changes, you'll learn what you're doing.

I just hope that someone drops out. The punishment will be hilarious!

1 minute ago, quantum- said:

This frankly. I don't know why people recommend distros like Manjaro

manjaro is actually really good. you can take advantage of Archwiki's documentation for most things. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, RollTime said:

They're on Ubuntu.

i can read. just pointed it out. 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

manjaro is actually really good. you can take advantage of Archwiki's documentation for most things. 

Yeeeeeeah, the thing is that for the new users, it is much less intimidating to read askubuntu than to read archwiki. 

Also, manpages.

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Yeeeeeeah, the thing is that for the new users, it is much less intimidating to read askubuntu than to read archwiki. 

Also, manpages.

archwiki is better formulated than most askubuntu answers..... 

She/Her

27 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The real question is why dafaq did installing steam force the DE to uninstall itself?

The main issue I remember with pop shop were the db.lock thingie for apt. And that too, would go away on the first 2-3 boots. Weird.

3 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

archwiki is better formulated than most askubuntu answers..... 

eh, but it is like saying that I should not use stack overflow because the official docs exist. Sure they are better, but I don't have the time to read the entire thing to fix my issue. I want it to be fast.

7 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

it is for the most part. look at luke's section of the video. if you go with a good distro then you're mostly set. 

yes, some stuff requires some effort to get working, but i see that as a learning oppurtunity rather than a chore. i guess it's just how you view things. 

I think this is still a hurdle for most Windows users. You're dealing with an OS that treats how programs are installed quite differently and to properly get things working you'll need to at least appreciate that.

I'd say many issues that new Linux users face boil down to the fact that Linux-based OSes are fundamentally different from Windows and so you can't expect certain things from Linux. You can hide the differences behind a GUI, but at some point they have to be reckoned with.

Just now, WolframaticAlpha said:

eh, but it is like saying that I should not use stack overflow because the official docs exist. Sure they are better, but I don't have to read the entire thing to fix my issue.

that's not how the archwiki works. 

She/Her

Just now, quantum- said:

I think this is still a hurdle for most Windows users. You're dealing with an OS that treats how programs are installed quite differently and to properly get things working you'll need to at least appreciate that.

I'd say many issues that new Linux users face boil down to the fact that Linux-based OSes are fundamentally different from Windows and so you can't expect certain things from Linux. You can hide the differences behind a GUI, but at some point they have to be reckoned with.

yeah obviously, it takes time to learn an OS. if you showed Windows to someone who'se never used it before they'd have the same kinds of problems. 

She/Her

that's not how the archwiki works. 

It is quite similar, isn't it? Has a lot of nicely formatted info, but is quite intimidating to read. Askubuntu or superuser is what? 2 answers? 

It is quite similar, isn't it? Has a lot of nicely formatted info, but is quite intimidating to read. Askubuntu or superuser is what? 2 answers? 

ther's a thing called the sidebar where you can jump right into common problems for most things. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

While the Arch wiki is one of the best Linux resources on the Internet, I'd say it's far from intelligible to a newfriend, and once you're at the point where you can make sense of it, you're probably at the point where you can apply the information to distributions which aren't Arch based. I don't think it's worth using a rolling release distro because you primarily want to use the Arch Wiki, they're too unstable.

yeah obviously, it takes time to learn an OS. if you showed Windows to someone who'se never used it before they'd have the same kinds of problems. 

But the difference is that most people learn how to use a computer as they learn how to use Windows. It shapes their expectations of how computers are supposed to behave.

10 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

i can read. just pointed it out. 

Sorry, perhaps I came across a bit terse here. Didn't mean to insult you, I genuinely thought you hadn't realized.

it's time

ther's a thing called the sidebar where you can jump right into common problems for most things. 

How is it not similar to official docs of a framework or a language? 🤨

1 minute ago, quantum- said:

I don't think it's worth using a rolling release distro because you primarily want to use the Arch Wiki, they're too unstable

any evidence for that? i've been using rolling distro's for years and the only time they've broken for me is when i did it lol

She/Her

How is it not similar to official docs of a framework or a language? 🤨

image.png.8e73741e3735ab66677341b2f11d29d4.png

She/Her

3 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Sorry, perhaps I came across a bit terse here. Didn't mean to insult you, I genuinely thought you hadn't realized.

no problem 🙂 

She/Her

any evidence for that? i've been using rolling distro's for years and the only time they've broken for me is when i did it lol