Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1

BellLMG
Just now, simon.gauvin said:

Warning: the following ESSENTIAL packages will be removed. This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you doing!

Pop-desktop session, pop session

Anybody that takes the time to read this will understand that they are doing something wrong

that's fair. i didn't read the exact package names... 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

the reason why Mint didn't work for you is because they typically ship an older kernel. that increases stability, but means that any recent hardware won't work with it for a while until Mint updates their stuff. 

since peppermint will not be updated almost for sure, when it does go EOL i'd try Mint first, since that card will propably work now. if it does not work, try either Kubuntu non-lts, that has a newer kernel. or anything Arch based like Manjaro, but doing that does mean re-learning some commands if you are used to peppermint's terminal.

Yeah, that was on Mint 18 and then I tried it with Mint 19 - Same thing.
However that doesn't mean I won't give it another shot later, just going with what's working for now.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It doesn't say "this will delete your DE", it says "it might break things" but with zero information as to what/how/why or if it actually will or not... and forcing this is actually the "correct" solution in some cases, leading to that being found in searches.

Yes it does: The following essential packages will be removed. This should not be done unless you know exactly what you are doing. pop-desktop and pop session.

I mean Linus is a smart man, he just didn't read that. I don't use Linux and I understood that.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

Yeah, that was on Mint 18 and then I tried it with Mint 19 - Same thing.
However that doesn't mean I won't give it another shot later, just going with what's working for now.

mint 18 is based on ubuntu 16.04 so logical it won't work with a card from 2019. mint 19 is based on ubuntu 18.04, so that should theoretically have been able to work, but Ubuntu LTS versions are often out of date a bit so that could be why. the current version of Mint is based on 20.04, so should have no problems at all with that hardware. 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

a few reasons...

I think these are the reasons why someone like Linus might choose Pop in the first place. They don't want to spend a lot of time on their OS, they simply want to install something quickly and run games/stream things. If System76 can make changes to stock Ubuntu that facilitate this, I wouldn't fault them as long as those changes make the user experience better, even if the documentation around it wasn't super great.

The issue, like you point out, is when these changes aren't good and the UX is bad. I still can't blame System76 for this because their business is selling PCs, not designing an OS, and they're not a huge company. But I can definitely stop recommending PopOS! as a gaming friendly distribution. The same thing applies to most other distros that are spun-off from a larger one or are only supported by a small group.

yea, I knew that DE issue was going to happen

when those packages showed up in the terminal error I knew it was inevetible.

The real question is why dafaq did installing steam force the DE to uninstall itself?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I'm actually working on a transition to Linux- for the last couple of days.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

1 minute ago, quantum- said:

The issue, like you point out, is when these changes aren't good and the UX is bad. I still can't blame System76 for this because their business is selling PCs, not designing an OS

why do they bother then? they could just ship them with stock Ubuntu. it's better than what they made 🤣

She/Her

1 minute ago, EDK Tech said:

I'm actually working on a transition to Linux- for the last couple of days.

if you need any help you can DM me, i have like 8 years of linux experience, including getting windows games to run on it 🙂 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

why do they bother then? they could just ship them with stock Ubuntu. it's better than what they made 🤣

Not that I've tried it on their own hardware, but the UX is probably better there since they have control over the entire stack.

Linux is NOT suitable for 90% of gamers.

I tried Pop OS this year but there was no Linux software for:

• Corsair iCUE
  • Microsoft Office
  • Some Steam games are buggy, especially with mods.
  • Vmix

Linux looks like it wants to make life hard for no reason, but I'll try it out on my laptop one of these days, lol. For my gaming use case, it does feel it'll be a while before I can actually take it serious since I play a lot of FPS.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

2 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

• Corsair iCUE
  • Microsoft Office
  • Vmix

- corsair you can fix with ckb-next, a linux alternative for icue. it's interface is a bit less pretty but it works. 

- office yea, you might be able to get by with the web version or libreoffice but not everyone can. 

- some games don't work indeed, most do at this point though. 

- idk what that is lol

She/Her

4 minutes ago, quantum- said:

Not that I've tried it on their own hardware, but the UX is probably better there since they have control over the entire stack.

i doubt it they just use standard hardware. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, GodAtum said:
  • Microsoft Office
  •  

oh really? couldnt think why..../s

4 minutes ago, GodAtum said:
  •  

thatd be 100% expected on steamplay games

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, GodAtum said:

Even disregarding software support issues, this is still true. Linux in 2021 is not a plug and play solution and I don't think it should have been described as such by the community (I myself have some comments I'd probably take back regarding this).

3 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

i doubt it they just use standard hardware. 

True, but they can validate the OS against their builds to make sure it doesn't fail as catastrophically. (at least I hope they do)

Edited by quantum-

That Rage comic funnily enough brought me back to the last time I tried to daily drive Ubuntu for high school computer science. It was great for coding, but not much else.

Might as well give Linux another try on a separate drive. I've been feeling adventurous lately, anyway.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

The issue I see is that you guys are using specialized versions of Linux. Pop OS is specialized for System 76.  To get an idea of which distributions are actually good for doing anything real see the NVIDIA CUDA development website.  This dictates what distros are used by scientist for high end computational work.  This selfsame system games  fine. 

image.thumb.png.6969da235b396f5c63184f7b3ab0839a.png

Linus Ubuntu or an official flavor of it like Kubuntu is the way to go for new or even not so new users.  When it came to Linux you  @LinusTech were a virgin.   That said even experts of the highest order don't use anything exotic. 

IF there was another error it was that Linus did not run all updates FIRST, reboot, then install Steam.  

Pop OS has really screwed up if installing Steam makes the whole Desktop go away.  WTH is system 76 thinking ... that's like a prank not a software package. 

If you ever want to try Linux again just look to what NVIDIA recommends for computational science.  Their drivers suck but CUDA is crucial and if someone like me can use it to game and also do real science it can game.  

5 minutes ago, quantum- said:

Even disregarding software support issues, this is still true. Linux in 2021 is not a plug and play solution and I don't think it should have been described as such by the community (I myself have some comments I'd probably take back regarding this).

it is for the most part. look at luke's section of the video. if you go with a good distro then you're mostly set. 

yes, some stuff requires some effort to get working, but i see that as a learning oppurtunity rather than a chore. i guess it's just how you view things. 

She/Her

14 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

if you need any help you can DM me, i have like 8 years of linux experience, including getting windows games to run on it 🙂 

I've used Linux quite a bit, and I actually installed it to run WineHQ it play some old Windows games I couldn't get to work.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

2 minutes ago, CT854 said:

That Rage comic funnily enough brought me back to the last time I tried to daily drive Ubuntu for high school computer science. It was great for coding, but not much else.

Might as well give Linux another try on a separate drive. I've been feeling adventurous lately, anyway.

if u need help with anything feel free to DM me, i have lots of linux experience. started using it when i was 13... i'm 22 now lol

She/Her

1 minute ago, EDK Tech said:

I've used Linux quite a bit, and I actually installed it to run WineHQ it play some old Windows games I couldn't get to work.

ah yes, wine is really nice for retro games as it handles 16-bit software much better than modern windows does. 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

• Corsair iCUE
  • Microsoft Office
  • Vmix
  • Corsair iCUE isnt great on windows so I wouldn't miss that lol
  • Thats ones kinda obvious, though office online in a browser works well, open office works for most things
  • a lot of games do work, and hopefully gaming does improve with the Steam deck, since it runs a Linux based OS.
  • I had to look for what Vmix is, but if you're a streamer, Windows is probably a better option.