SteamPal is a fact. Valve announced their first handheld console named Steam Deck

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

16:10 means games will either be stretched or, have borders? Thats like a huge dealbreaker right there, as is the Euro prices…

Why would games be stretched or have borders on this device?, native games + proton games shouldn't even be a problem, as they can run in any resolution you set them to run, like it has always been the case since forever with PC games. The only type of games that should be a problem on this aspect ratio would be crappy ports, old pre mainstream widescreen game that ain't on GoG (like pre 2005 i'm talking about but there should be mods to get around that) and emulators since emulated games are truly the ones stuck on a set aspect ratio.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I've always been more of a portable gamer and I've always finished more games on GB/DS/3DS/Switch than on PC or home consoles. Just how I tend to like playing games. So for me this is a no-brainer, especially when I have a Steam Library containing 100s of unplayed games. And with a spec along those lines it could serve double duty as a half decent HTPC when combined with a dock.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

It really is, why didnt Valve make this 16:9 when majority of games are made for that aspect ratio… my guess is: those screens are cheaper, because no one wants them.

Most games still work in 16:10 especially since it's been coming back again. Worst case you have 2 tiny black bars that you will barely notice extra at the top or bottom like watching a movie.

4 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

native games + proton games shouldn't even be a problem, as they can run in any resolution you set them to

I dont doubt games like this exist, but most games i know dont have any exotic ratio options, heck i cant even get games to run at native resolution on 2 1080p screens, they simply dont show the correct resolution, and neither does Nvidia "surround" …

I mean i agree, this "shouldnt" be a problem, but i can easily see it being one as games often simply dont have something like a "1280x800" option in my experience. So thats how you end up either with stretching or black bars inevitably…

And i know not everyone is bothered by that, many people are though.

And good point about emulators, they usually dont come with non standard aspect ratios either.

I mean, i think overall this sounds like a great little device, the screen is a serious downside though imo (i hate this on phones too… so not only do you get a bulkier device, you also now get messed up aspect ratios when watching movies, etc…)

Personally i really like 16:10 btw, the content just isnt there however and i see the format as failed because of that. 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I dont doubt games like this exist, but most games i know dont have any exotic ratio options, heck i cant even get games to run at native resolution on 2 1080p screens, they simply dont show the correct resolution, and neither does Nvidia "surround" …

I mean i agree, this "shouldnt" be a problem, but i can easily see it being one as games often simply dont have something like a "1280x800" option in my experience. So thats how you end up either with stretching or black bars inevitably…

And i know not everyone is bothered by that, many people are though.

And good point about emulators, they usually dont come with non standard aspect ratios either.

I mean, i think overall this sounds like a great little device, the screen is a serious downside though imo (i hate this on phones too… so not only do you get a bulkier device, you also now get messed up aspect ratios when watching movies, etc…)

Personally i really like 16:10 btw, the content just isnt there however and i see the format as failed because of that. 🤷‍♂️

well, at the end of the day its Linux and pc games so even with a lot of "elbow grease" and persistence there should be ways to get those games to run at the native res, even though it really shouldn't be like this in the first place.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

4 hours ago, elfensky said:

Who is the target demographic?

O/

If you already own a computer, you can stream your steam games to a phone or tablet you probably already own. (and just get a controller attachment for it for like 50$)

Streaming sucks, specially on hotel WiFi, and eats away my mobile data at an alarming rate.

For 399 (and realistically, with its 64gb of eMMC storage, no1 is gonna buy the base model, so the actual price is 529+) you can get a Xbox Series S + games, Nintendo Switch + games, or a PlayStation Digital.

Why start a new collection when I can get access at one I already own?

Plus not having to deal with subs to use my Internet connection, and not be restricted to just one store is a welcomed addition

It's terrible value. I suppose it's cheaper than its counterparts like the Aya Neo or the GPD, but still. It's so niche.

Sounds like great value to me

And if you want to emulate old consoles, get a PS Vita. Small, OLED screen, good battery and you can get them for under a 100$.

A PSP with an ips screen replacement mod is better than vita (have both, still can't stand how small and stiff the buttons on the vita are compared to the psp) but not really looking at it to emulate.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, lhindir said:

Hopefully reviewers give pads+gyro aim a shot. The Steam Controller got a lot of mixed reviews for being "weird" when it released but it has a cult following (myself included) for its unique (and honestly unmatched) configurability and featureset. r/SteamController and channels like Critical Input, Mennenth, and RambleTam put out some great content on how to get the most out of the SC.

The LTT review of the SC was a bit of a letdown in my opinion; so I'm hoping the Deck succeeds and brings touchpad aim (and Linux gaming!) to the masses, even if the pads are a bit compromised on the Deck compared to the SC.

SC allowed me to play path of exile on the couch! Try doing it with a x360/One controller 😕

My only regret is not grabbing a second one when I had the chance. Best controller ever made!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

At least look things up before you comment :p.

There was literally not a single gpu or cpu out at the time as powerful as this at the time.

This is literally a xbox one with a FAR better cpu and double the ram on the go portable.

Except that games for consoles are insanely optimized, since developers only have 1-2 hardware configurations to worry about, and have low level access to the hardware. There's a reason games on consoles run at PC-like qualities on 1/5th the GPU power. This is not a console, it's just a weakly powered PC, running PC games, and it uses a compatibility layer for Windows games on top of that.

It might be cool, but everyone should wait for benchmarks before they get excited.

I'm really surprised so many want the 256GB version. If I was buying this I'd absolutely pay the $120 extra for the 512GB SSD. This looks like it would be pretty badass to throw CEMU and RPCS3 on, but I wouldn't want to play Wii-U and PS3 roms off an SD card for example. The 512GB would give me enough room for emulators and roms, to have a game or two I play enough to not want to uninstall (GTA V in my case), and still be able to install a big AAA game or two at a time to progress through. I think 256GB is going to feel really limiting unless you're a mostly indie gamer, and if that's the case a Switch for $300 is already fantastic for those games. I think I'd go big and get the $649 version if I was going to get one.

19 hours ago, Caroline said:

Oh thankfully I'm far far away from "PC gamers", "master race" and all of the toxicity surrounding that despicable community. I don't use steam and don't plan on using it.

Yeah, that'd be a valid reason I guess. The only time I went abroad I slept through the entire flight, ate nothing and carried so little clothing the TSA guys almost rejected me because for some reason you're supposed to carry more than a tiny backpack and have a smartphone. I have an old phone and this one cop went thru all of my texts and calls looking for something odd and told me I looked suspicious.

Thankfully everything was fine.

Let's be honest here the gaming scene as a whole is pretty toxic. I remember when I was still on console and hearing all sorts of toxic kids say some ridiculous stuff. Granted they sounded like they were 10 so I usually just muted or ignored. 

22 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'm really surprised so many want the 256GB version. If I was buying this I'd absolutely pay the $120 extra for the 512GB SSD. This looks like it would be pretty badass to throw CEMU and RPCS3 on, but I wouldn't want to play Wii-U and PS3 roms off an SD card for example. The 512GB would give me enough room for emulators and roms, to have a game or two I play enough to not want to uninstall (GTA V in my case), and still be able to install a big AAA game or two at a time to progress through. I think 256GB is going to feel really limiting unless you're a mostly indie gamer, and if that's the case a Switch for $300 is already fantastic for those games. I think I'd go big and get the $649 version if I was going to get one.

Eh.  256GB is more than enough for Win10 and if it comes to it, a few larger, more advnaced games, that need good storage.

I'd use it more for light gaming, ports of classic games (stuff from 10+ years ago), source ports, indies, ect.  A lot would be just fine off an SD card.  Heck I already run half the games in my livingroom HTPC that uses steam off a mechanical HDD.  At least the SD card would have no seek time. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

9 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Eh.  256GB is more than enough for Win10 and if it comes to it, a few larger, more advnaced games, that need good storage.

I'd use it more for light gaming, ports of classic games (stuff from 10+ years ago), source ports, indies, ect.  A lot would be just fine off an SD card.  Heck I already run half the games in my livingroom HTPC that uses steam off a mechanical HDD.  At least the SD card would have no seek time. 😛

You gotta also remember 256 Giga Byte is really about 215GB once you factor in the difference between Giga Bytes (10^9 bytes) advertised vs GB (2^30 bytes) recognized by the operating system and then 10% for overprovisioning. Add another 30GB for Windows and you're at 185GB without even installing anything yet. They're definitely targeting AAA games with this system and that's only 2-3 games.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You gotta also remember 256 Giga Byte is really about 214GB once you factor in the difference between Giga Bytes (10^9 bytes) vs GB (2^30 bytes) and 10% for overprovisioning. Add another 30 GB for Windows and you're at 184GB without even installing anything yet. They're definitely targeting AAA games with this system and that's only 2-3 games.

Me: "Yeah, I mean, I'll rarely use this for AAA games so 256GB will be enough and for many games, SD card will be fine."
You: "Okay, but you'll only fit maybe 2-3 modern AAA games on it."
Me: "Yes, I can understand how from my words, you have come to think that I want to put lots of modern AAA games on it, what with me saying the exact opposite of that."

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

11 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Me: "Yeah, I mean, I'll rarely use this for AAA games so 256GB will be enough and for many games, SD card will be fine."
You: "Okay, but you'll only fit maybe 2-3 modern AAA games on it."
Me: "Yes, I can understand how from my words, you have come to think that I want to put lots of modern AAA games on it, what with me saying the exact opposite of that."

I wasn't talking about you man. I was talking about gamers in general when this system is definitely targeting AAA gaming.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I wasn't talking about you man. I was talking about gamers in general when this system is definitely targeting AAA gaming.

Feel free not to quote me when you're not addressing my comments.

For those who wonder, 16:10 does mean less width in your games, your width view would be limited, and while some games allow you to adjust your FoV to compensate, things will look strange.

Technically speaking for most games, 16:10 consumes less GPU than 16:9 as a result, despite the technically higher resolution.

The problem, is that most games, scale based on height of the display/resolution

So, you either going to have your view cut left and right or live with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

That problem affects all 16:10 displays, and this was a common downside of them over 16:9, when 16:10 where more common, and a choice for consumers when buying a PC monitor. Hense the labelling of 16:10 for work/office, and 16:9 for gaming/entertainment.

Can be cool, not personally into something like this, but yeah...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Feel free not to quote me when you're not addressing my comments.

Then why did you quote my original comment when I wasn't talking about you specifically? This system clearly targets AAA gaming when they were showing off Doom Eternal, Control, and Death Stranding on it.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Then why did you quote my original comment when I wasn't talking about you specifically? This system clearly targets AAA gaming when they were showing off Doom Eternal, Control, and Death Stranding on it.

Oh, cause I think you all are maybe expecting a bit much from a 15w handheld APU, and going 'Well they showed it in a professionally made promo video, so it must run AA games great!'. 😛  I quoted you, commenting that, for how I'd use it, it'll be not so much trying to run Doom Eternal on a low watt embedded APU. 

Some people would def benefit from waiting to see actual hardware reviews rather than guessing based on slick promo videos made by the company that wants to sell you the thing. 😛

When I used a 1920x1200 display I had no problems with it being 16:10. Cutscenes almost always had black bars top and bottom but other than that it was fine.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

AAA at potato resolution and settings. FSRv1 isn't going to help in this case. DLSSv2 wizardry could help though.

Has anyone been able to buy? Looks like Steam servers are struggling majorly right now.

5 minutes ago, DexterSmythe said:

Has anyone been able to buy? Looks like Steam servers are struggling majorly right now.

Just got one.  It took a while to log in and a while for the transaction to process.  Just keep trying.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I'm interested, but I'll wait until next year and see how things shake out. I need to do a board & CPU swap anyway & I would rather do that first.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4