DirectX 12 will be supported on Windows 7 and Up

directx-12-logo.jpg

Source Video: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/9-004 "Windows Graphics and DirectX 12" panel at BUILD

Sorry Netbook users but it looks like the only version that isn't supported is Starter.

In summary, they had a spokesperson from Microsoft answer questions about DX12 and the first one that was asked was how far back DirectX 12 would be supported. He answered that they wanted to support the largest install base possible, so Windows 7 was the most logical step, due to all the people migrating from XP to 7.

This is fantastic news and one of the many great steps Microsoft has been making to become a better company due to the death of the 'Strategy Tax'. Satya Nadella has been making been making some amazing progress as Master Chief Executive Officer (Get it?  :D) and IMO, the future of Microsoft is going in a much better direction.

This post has been promoted to an article

imagine if it wasnt what a dick move that would be

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Sweet. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

But how are the haters going to hate if MS gives them stuff for free,  oh wait DX has always been free.   :blink: 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

TBH, I actually want it to at least support Vista and above.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

These are the reasons Microsoft has a 90% market share on the desktop. 

Burn haters! Haha. Fucking MS Haters. This one is really a good news. :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Still, I think Vista can take advantage of DX 12. Why are there so many Vista haters? I think it looks so pretty and it led to the pretty and popular Windows 7.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Maybe it's because Mantle and OpenGL are knocking on their door lately. Good news either way.

nah,  opengl has always been knocking on their door and dx12 was in the pipeline before mantle.  If they had of restricted dxs12 to win8 and above then the reason more than likely would have been to entice xp users to go to win8 instead of 7.   The only two knee jerk reactions I have seen from MS have been the sudden 180 they did on xbox one DRM and the start button, although I would hardly call the time they took to reintroduce it properly a knee jerk, but it was certainly in response to consumer demand.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm very aroused.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Should I just keep ranting and say it should be supported on Vista? -_-

Still, I think Vista can take advantage of DX 12. Why are there so many Vista haters? I think it looks so pretty and it led to the pretty and popular Windows 7.

I actually don't hate vista but the reason most did is because the 32 bit version never got any support so it was buggy as hell but the 64 bit version was awesome a year after they patched everything also a lot just assumed it was bad but never actually used it because it was mainstream to call it bad and/or they instantly went back to XP not seeing the updates, but XP was bad because it was based on NT 4 which was based on NT 3.51.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Maybe it's because Mantle and OpenGL are knocking on their door lately. Good news either way.

Or maybe not. :P

Great news from MS. Now we only need to buy next gen hardware to fully utilize it. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

I actually don't hate vista but the reason most did is because the 32 bit version never got any support so it was buggy as hell but the 64 bit version was awesome a year after they patched everything also a lot just assumed it was bad but never actually used it because it was mainstream to call it bad and/or they instantly went back to XP not seeing the updates, but XP was bad because it was based on NT 4 which was based on NT 3.51.

Oh, come on. Don't tell me that 32 bit never got support. I got updates every time and tech support was actually good back then.

TBH, I actually want it to at least support Vista and above.

They probably would but the market share is so low that it probably use resources that could be better applied else where. The spokeperson in the video said it will be a challenge alone to even get it on Windows 7.

I generally believe that Vista was such a big flop at launch that by the time they fixed most of the major issues service pack 1 but nobody listened or cared because everyone already hated it to much. Kinda of like Windows 8. Even if they completely change the UI and made changes that it made it the best thing ever, it still has one huge disadvantage. The name. It's going to stick until Windows 9 comes out as the "new and improved Windows" when in reality, it's just a big update to Windows 8.1.

Oh, come on. Don't tell me that 32 bit never got support. I got updates every time and tech support was actually good back then.

Oops I meant to say right away, x64 got update right away but x86 took a bit as there was no push from the community right away b/c all the gamers were using x64.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

They probably would but the market share is so low that it probably use resources that could be better applied else where. The spokeperson in the video said it will be a challenge alone to even get it on Windows 7.

I generally believe that Vista was such a big flop at launch that by the time they fixed most of the major issues service pack 1 but nobody listened or cared because everyone already hated it to much. Kinda of like Windows 8. Even if they completely change the UI and made changes that it made it the best thing ever, it still has one huge disadvantage. The name. It's going to stick until Windows 9 comes out as the "new and improved Windows" when in reality, it's just a big update to Windows 8.1.

Well, I hate Vista haters. They just don't see the true potential of Vista. Well, it was kinda Microsoft's fault for making Vista so buggy. If they had checked their coding right, they would have made it more popular, like Windows 7 it was supposed to replace.

Oops I meant to say right away, x64 got update right away but x86 took a bit as there was no push from the community right away b/c all the gamers were using x64.

Well, x86 isn't too bad, other than taking only 3.25 gigs. Heck, I'm still using Windows 8.1 x86. :P Don't want to upgrade to Windows x64, gonna lose data.

Sorry Netbook users but it looks like the only version that isn't supported is Starter.

I've got Windows 7 Pro on my netbook. Not that I'm going to be playing any games on it.  

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

There has to be a catch somewhere. This is too good to be true.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I've got Windows 7 Pro on my netbook. Not that I'm going to be playing any games on it.  

How? I thought netbooks couldn't support it due to its hardware, especially with an Atom.