DirectX 12 will be supported on Windows 7 and Up

Just because Win 7 will support it, does not mean Win 7 will get ALL of the features that it offers. Windows 8.1 already gets DX 11.2 that Win 7 has no access to, and supposedly those features are incapable of being implemented on Win 7. We need to wait and see the final product before we go dancing in the street over this announcement.

start menu apparently coming back soon, so there wont be a reason to not upgrade to windows 8 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

start menu apparently coming back soon, so there wont be a reason to not upgrade to windows 8 

YAY! :D

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Except that the upgrade is not free, adding the start menu is not the same as allowing desktop users to 100% disable the Metro UI, and there is still a massive amount of compatibility issues when it comes to older gamers or hardware not working correctly in Windows 8. So, yeah, there are still plenty of reasons not to update.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Except that the upgrade is not free, adding the start menu is not the same as allowing desktop users to 100% disable the Metro UI, and there is still a massive amount of compatibility issues when it comes to older gamers or hardware not working correctly in Windows 8. So, yeah, there are still plenty of reasons not to update.

Not to mention the cost and the fact that windows 7 works just fine. Still 8 might be a compelling option for someone looking to upgrade from XP.

OxWxRTr.gif

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

i have a thunderbird(one of my last remaining Tbirds i OC all the others to death) system running windows 98 for all my really old games all the rest work fine , windows 7/8

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

please God!!  don't let this be an April Fool's joke....thanks!!!!

Not to mention the cost and the fact that windows 7 works just fine. Still 8 might be a compelling option for someone looking to upgrade from XP.

I never said that it was wrong for someone to use 8, but adding the Start Menu doesn't all of a sudden make Windows 8.1 a great choice or give a compelling reason for me to upgrade from Windows 7. Being the IT guy in the family, I constantly have to deal with two Windows 8.1 systems that other family members own, and I HATE it with a passion. Adding back a bastadized version of the start menu helps, and being able to pin metro apps to the taskbar is also good, but until I can 100% disable the Metro UI, meaning it doesn't even run in the background, it will NEVER be an OS that I want to use.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Amazing news, it's just sad that Microsoft requires competition to be motivated to innovate or improve.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Amazing news, it's just sad that Microsoft requires competition to be motivated to innovate or improve.

That's why monopoly are bad.

imagine if it wasnt what a dick move that would be

You mean how DX11.2 is Windows 8.1 only? :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

This is kind of a benign statement,  all companies need competition to innovate or improve MS is no different. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

one thing I don't get is why they have 11.2 exclusive for 8.1 and now 12 is fully supported in win 7

Does laptop use a different kind of Wndows 8? Because I noticed that I can upgrade my Windows 8 version to a better version, mine is Windows 8 Single Language? Or is my laptop using Starter Version? Also, does mobile GPU (mine is NVIDIA GT 720M) receive any love from anything :( ?

Does laptop use a different kind of Wndows 8? Because I noticed that I can upgrade my Windows 8 version to a better version, mine is Windows 8 Single Language? Or is my laptop using Starter Version? Also, does mobile GPU (mine is NVIDIA GT 720M) receive any love from anything :( ?

There is no special version of Windows 8 for laptops. There are 3 versions of Windows 8.

Windows 8 - This is the standard version and probably the one you got

Windows 8 Pro - This is probably the version you can upgrade to. It supports everything Windows 8 does and a few more things like full disk encryption, sideloading Metro Apps, boot from a virtual HDD and so on. Nothing really important.

Windows 8 Enterprise - Has everything Windows 8 Pro has but also has some enterprise features like blocking certain programs, a type of VPN tunnel Microsoft calls "DirectAccess" and some more.

Here is a full list of differences: Wikipedia (Windows 8 Editions)

You can ignore Windows RT since that's not what you are using and it's not really Windows 8.

HEIL WIN7!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

one thing I don't get is why they have 11.2 exclusive for 8.1 and now 12 is fully supported in win 7

Cus MS never wanted to do this. You shouldn't be thanking MS. You should be thanking this guy. Without him? You would probably need Windows 9 for DX 12. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Unless someone has some evidence to suggest otherwise the only reason I can think is that it would be to encourage new buyers to get win 8 instead of 7 without actually alienating a subset of their market base.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

well!! there won't be any more incentive for anyone to go 8 and beyond now that win 7 has full dx12 support.

• 3 months later...

Sorry fo the dig up but was this bullshit after all? xD

With the recent announcement of the end of mainstream support to Win7, will we not get DX12 after all?