DirectX 12 will be supported on Windows 7 and Up

Ending support in 6 months: Windows 7 . . . .

Ending consumer support for mainstream upgrades like service packs. Security support lasts till 2020. 

In other words, anyone who isn't a moron knew that Win7 would have this scheduled drop when it first came out. 

video isnt working for me, but anyway if microsoft didnt clearly state that windows 7 will support the full DX12 version, i wouldn't take anything they say.

1- they need time, they will say anything to win it, as long as they stay blurry and dont specify, and let you make the conslusion yourself, so afterward when time comes, they will deny it.

2- there have been talk about the possibility, to make some features of dx12 compatible windows 7,  features that no one would care about, and call it DX12.a or something, it's just a mind game, saying win7 will have dx12 but in reality you get nothing of what ppl are waiting for in dx12.

so to me unless a clear announcement from microsoft i wouldn't care less about gossip, because i see microsoft in alot of trouble, failing 2 OS releases vista and 8, failling on mobile, failing the xbox, failling to sell windows 9 would be a huge probleme for microsoft, especialy with steamOS, and android console around the corner, and in their mind linking DX to windows is a strong incentive to upgrade, so be carefull of gossip.

I'm surprised W7 will be getting DX12 support. Pleasantly surprised~

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Sorry fo the dig up but was this bullshit after all? xD

With the recent announcement of the end of mainstream support to Win7, will we not get DX12 after all?

Ending support in 6 months: Windows 7 . . . .

Ending consumer support for mainstream upgrades like service packs. Security support lasts till 2020. 

In other words, anyone who isn't a moron knew that Win7 would have this scheduled drop when it first came out

@BernardoSLR , I think Windows 7 IS going to get DX12, because ending the support at this time was scheduled when Win 7 launched... It has been known for 5 years that they will end support in January 2015. I think they took that into account and are going to make Windows 7 DX12 enabled...

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Windows 7 is getting DirectX12 because the renderer Direct3D already supports it.. How come? Well D3D is Mantle, and Mantle supports Windows 7.

Say thanks to Johan Andersson and AMD.

Windows 7 is getting DirectX12 because the renderer Direct3D already supports it.. How come? Well D3D is Mantle, and Mantle supports Windows 7.

Say thanks to Johan Andersson and AMD.

Except DX12 is being developed for over a 4 years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Except DX12 is being developed for over a 4 years.

LOL yeah sure... 4 years... 2 more to come out... 6 years of development.

AMD did it successfully in 2/3 years... Yeah...

It doesn't come to your mind that's just a PR stunt so Microsoft doesn't make themselfs look like they just didn't care for DirectX?

There are email leaks stating the state of DirectX in the past years, interviews saying there were no plans for new DirectX... yet after AMD announced Mantle, Microsoft was already for 4 years developing what AMD developed! Oh, AMAZING! 

You guys are too soft on PR xD

LOL yeah sure... 4 years... 2 more to come out... 6 years of development.

AMD did it successfully in 2/3 years... Yeah...

It doesn't come to your mind that's just a PR stunt so Microsoft doesn't make themselfs look like they just didn't care for DirectX?

There are email leaks stating the state of DirectX in the past years, interviews saying there were no plans for new DirectX... yet after AMD announced Mantle, Microsoft was already for 4 years developing what AMD developed! Oh, AMAZING! 

You guys are too soft on PR xD

Um, you had better read this because it appears your AMD fanboy is showing,

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Microsoft-Introduces-us-DX12-My-Thoughts-Industry-Moving-Forward-0

It's not just MS that have been talking about dx12 for 4 years, Nvidia also. The fact of the matter is that dx12 has been in development for a long time, just like all other version before it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Is this really a surprise, any system that could take advantage of it would be able to run win 7

To be honest I don't really care that Windows 7 is loosing support because we still get security updates. I will stay on Windows 7 until I can play every game on Windows on Linux with no fuss.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

To be honest I don't really care that Windows 7 is loosing support because we still get security updates. I will stay on Windows 7 until I can play every game on Windows on Linux with no fuss.

Main mistake windows 8 is they cleaned up lot code but they just deleted code without replacing it with new code, try delete a file in use under windows 8 it will just lockup, while under windows 7 it does not and gives you file in use warning.

Not mention dumbing down apps so much and completely forgetting about basic features that normally there like even in apps from earliest windows.

Microsoft has to change there attitude else linux will take over the crown.

Just curious what all this has to do with dx12 on win 7? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Microsoft-Introduces-us-DX12-My-Thoughts-Industry-Moving-Forward-0

It's not just MS that have been talking about dx12 for 4 years, Nvidia also. The fact of the matter is that dx12 has been in development for a long time, just like all other version before it.

Are you actually calling someone a fanboy when you defend/post about MS 24/7 on this forum. Yes you are correct MS displayed DX 12 low level on an Nvidia card already. It is probably as far along as Mantle or even more so.

That doesn't change the fact that MS is

1. withholding this from us until Holiday 2015, when it appears it is as stable and ready as Mantle NOW for Nvidia GPU's.

2. going to withhold it from OS's like they did with DirectX 11.2 to slow adoption by devs. There are no DirectX 11.2 games. There WOULD be if MS put 11.2 on Win 7.

3. is most likely doing so to hamper PC game development until we give in and update to their new OS, as well as protecting the value of their console which they care more about.

Microsoft is like the mafia with protection money. That is who we have between us and game development. Microsoft never "supported Windows 7" by giving them DirectX 11.2, so why should anyone believe they will do different now? The "support dropped in 2015" is nothing but a scare tactic to get people to adopt Win 8. We knew a long time ago that Win 7 had security support until 2020. We also knew MS withheld DirectX 11.2, so Win 7 never had "full support" since Win 8 debuted anyways.

The "no support" articles were just MS advertising. They literally had no reason to exist. The writers of those articles are a joke. They never mention DirectX 11.2. How the hell was Windows 7 supported before this? 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

we've been burned too many times by Microshit that I won't believe nothing coming from them anymore.  DX12 support for win7???

all I have to say to that is s#$$ck my dx##@k

I know it's a juvenile rant but I don't care.

snip

I must of missed the part where I was wrong.

Are you saying dx12 hasn't been  worked on for the last 4 years?

I must of missed the part where I was wrong.

Are you saying dx12 hasn't been  worked on for the last 4 years?

DirectX 12 could come out tomorrow minus new effects. They  have been working on it longer than Mantle. They ported Forza in less than a month to a Nvidia card with a SMALL team and bragged about it.

It means nothing since we are not getting it until 2015 Holiday and MS will mostly likely fracture the OS/API market yet again on PC, like they did with DirectX 11.2.

The only thing holding back a low level API on the PC is Microsoft. AMD and the Kronos group with OpenGL had to force their hand to even announce DirectX 12 and when Microsoft finally did? They LIED through third party BS artists who claimed huge claims for their Xbox One which is already on a low level API and will see little to no benefit. 

With hold the API for nearly 2  years from us, make BS claims about it helping Xbox One. Withhold it from the most popular OS AGAIN to slow adoption. WTF do you expect us to be happy about? Waiting 2 more years for a more mature API than Mantle which already runs on games and has huge support coming? 200 dollars MINIMUM in Microsoft taxes for OS changes we didn't even want, with an API on Win 8 that was not even adopted due to market share?

http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

All while advertising a console that is already on a low level API and selling DirectX 12 on it when the DirectX lead said this.

"When we spoke to Microsoft's Anuj Gosalia after the announcement, though, he downplayed the importance of DX12 for Xbox One titles. Gosalia suggested that DX12 won't necessarily change that (getting higher resolution on titles) or offer any particular new graphical effects. "This just lets you exploit a little bit more of what the hardware can do."

Now is this guy qualified to say this? Let's check the GDC conference for his credentials at MS.

"Anuj Gosalia has spent 18 years at Microsoft working on graphics technology. He spent almost all of this time working on DirectX. Currently he manages the graphics team overseeing rendering APIs, OS infrastructure and the driver model."

BS, BS and more BS. Unless DirectX 12 is on Win 7? I am 1) not excited about it. 2) could care less since devs won't use it if market share isn't there.

They are making us wait for it, and holding back PC Gaming for no other reason but personal gain. Since they withheld 11.2 from Win 7 and are delaying DX 12 so that they can keep it off 7/protect their console? What reason does anyone have to believe DX 12 will be on Win 7. 

I don't even understand how anyone could defend this companies practices at this point. You know we could have a low level API on Nvidia and ATI now (already do on ATI), yet you defend this company with holding it and refusing even a small upgrade DirectX 11.2 from Win 7 (which has zero games using it)?  Then you have the nerve to call people company fanboys in this thread? Give me a break. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

snip

So,  you agree it's been in development for 4 years, It's going to be compatible with win7.   To date it has had no negative effects on me or my gaming experience. 

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/20/directx-12-first-dx12-games-to-hit-the-market-around-holiday-2015-says-microsoft/

DX12 games won't hit the market till holiday 2015 so there is no point in it being released until then.  And forza took 4 months to port not 1.

The rest of what you say is irrelevant and mostly personal opinion, it has little to do with this thread.  There is nothing to get worked up about and nothing to defend.

LOL right! NVIDIA "said" they have been developing this for 4 years, one of the best sources of the truth in pc gaming: Microsoft and NVIDIA LOL... yet... why NVIDIA didn't present any techinical presentation of Direct3D when it was announced at GDC 2014? Only AMD, Johan Andersson... wait a second... this are MAntle developers and designers LOL! Weird right?!

Source: http://schedule.gdconf.com/list

Guess what slides they showed in this presentation? Mantle slides! It was their Mantle presentation LOL! You have twitters of developers/tech journalists saying:

@repi "inspired" by Mantle, eh?

@repi Why does it feel like I am reading Mantle Programming Guide again? :)

- @repi DX12 = DX11.2+Mantle?

- @repi @petr_tomicek So directx12 is actually Mantle but with multi vendor support repi?

- @repi Knowing this is micrososft they can just copy and paste. LOL Micrososft are a bunch of lying crooks. Directx 12 is just mantle.

@TheMattB81 @repi @petr_tomicek Roughly: DX12 = DX11 + MANTLE

With the most obvious reply from repi: @petr_tomicek ;)

Source: https://twitter.com/repi/status/446718535616585730

So NVIDIA said they develop it for 4 years, and they have nothing to say about it to developers when DIRECTX12 IS ANNOUNCED!? LOL Dude get a grip! There are the "beliebers" for Justin Bieber, and there are the "NVLIEBERS" for NVIDIA fan boys.

Oh forza took 4 months to port... OF COURSE... yet at E3 2013 you have all Xbox One games running on Windows 7 HP PCs xD

Xbox-One-Games-at-E3-Ran-on-Windows-7-PC

Cool story bro!

Oh and that "Forza port that took 4 months" must be a crappy port or DirectX12 isn't any good... i mean, running with a GTX TITAN @ 1080P 60FPS!!! What is this?! 2010?! xD

DirectX12 developed for 4 years looll... you guys make my day!

So,  you agree it's been in development for 4 years, It's going to be compatible with win7.   To date it has had no negative effects on me or my gaming experience. 

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/20/directx-12-first-dx12-games-to-hit-the-market-around-holiday-2015-says-microsoft/

DX12 games won't hit the market till holiday 2015 so there is no point in it being released until then.  And forza took 4 months to port not 1.

The rest of what you say is irrelevant and mostly personal opinion, it has little to do with this thread.  There is nothing to get worked up about and nothing to defend.

Direct X 11.2 isn't even on Windows 7 so the posts you continue to make are pointless. There is zero concrete confirmation that it is on Windows 7. In fact the ONLY way we would get it on Win 7 is if people grow a brain and stop buying all MS products. That will FORCE their hand. Guess what? You would probably also get, Halo, Forza as DirectX exclusives. The customer has the power here, not Microsoft. Customers let them have the power.

MS has to reasons for delaying DX 12. Their consoles value would be destroyed. They can continue to use scare tactics like the recent "win 7 is losing full support", when it never had full support to begin with as DX 11.2 was not on it, so that they can at the very least make DX 12 a win 8/9 exclusive. 

It is very simple. Want DX 12 on Win 7? Don't buy 8 if you have 7 and don't buy 9. Don't buy a Xbox one and skip their crappy phones as well. Desperation is the only way MS is going to change their tune. 

snip

well done, you have spotted that all games are developed on pc's.  but feel free to ignore the facts at hand and substitute your own reality.

Direct X 11.2 isn't even on Windows 7 so the posts you continue to make are pointless. There is zero concrete confirmation that it is on Windows 7. In fact the ONLY way we would get it on Win 7 is if people grow a brain and stop buying all MS products. That will FORCE their hand. Guess what? You would probably also get, Halo, Forza as DirectX exclusives. The customer has the power here, not Microsoft. Customers let them have the power.

MS has to reasons for delaying DX 12. Their consoles value would be destroyed. They can continue to use scare tactics like the recent "win 7 is losing full support", when it never had full support to begin with as DX 11.2 was not on it, so that they can at the very least make DX 12 a win 8/9 exclusive. 

It is very simple. Want DX 12 on Win 7? Don't buy 8 if you have 7 and don't buy 9. Don't buy a Xbox one and skip their crappy phones as well. Desperation is the only way MS is going to change their tune. 

I never said dx11.2 is on win7, why are you injecting irrelevant information into this discussion.  You're so far in the hatred basket you see anyone who sits on the fence as a fanboy.

LOL right! NVIDIA "said" they have been developing this for 4 years... yet... why NVIDIA didn't present any techinical presentation of Direct3D when it was announced at GDC 2014? Only AMD, Johan Andersson... wait a second... this are MAntle developers and designers LOL! Weird right?!

Source: http://schedule.gdconf.com/list

Guess what slides they showed in this presentation? Mantle slides! It was their Mantle presentation LOL! You have twitters of developers saying: https://twitter.com/repi/status/446718535616585730

So NVIDIA said they develop it for 4 years, and they have nothing to say about it to developers? LOL Dude get a grip! There are the "beliebers" for Justin Bieber, and there are the "NELIEBERS" for NVIDIA fan boys.

Oh forza took 4 months to port... OF COURSE... yet at E3 2013 you have all Xbox One games running on Windows 7 HP PCs xD

Xbox-One-Games-at-E3-Ran-on-Windows-7-PC

Cool story bro!

Oh and that "Forza port that took 4 months" must be a crappy port or DirectX12 isn't any good... i mean, running with a GTX TITAN @ 1080P 60FPS!!! What is this?! 2010?! xD

DirectX12 developed for 4 years looll... you guys make my day!

And? The kernel is basically the same since Vista. Just because they ran it on Win 7 doesn't mean they are releasing it on Win 7. AMD Mantle runs on 7 as well as 8. They are the same damn thing except one boots faster and has a crappy UI. You do understand that they have had low level for a long time right? Consoles have been doing this all along. It isn't as if this was some holy grail or newfound technology. You just need a similar architecture on the GPU or a standard, which is what GCN is. Each Nvidia family is a standard. GTX 400, 500, 600, 700, 800. They will all have different extensions in a low level API. They have to. Hell we had low level on 3DFX cards with GLIDE a long, long time ago. Why? Because they were all based on the same architecture.

04fimu3sfa.jpg

And we do not need the freaking Direct X shader/effects to do it. Sony has been doing it on Playstation with the Open GL library for a long time. We need it to be on DirectX to make MS money, and that is about it. OpenGL could also go new, and drop the old backwards compatibility. You can run multiple API's on an OS. The whole thing is a scam and advertising and BS.

You could keep DX for backwards compatibility and go OpenGL tomorrow. How do you think Mantle is going to go Linux (they stated they want to). They are going to use the OpenGL library/effects instead of the DX library, just like Sony does. It isn't like MS is going to allow the DX library on linux lol.

Basically we could have had low level a long time ago. MS is in the console business though and Kronos is in the technology business. You paid for their R & D by having a crappy API and needing more power than should have been required to play a game. It was only when AMD couldn't keep up with Intel that they gave us low level. DESPERATION is what gave us a good thing, and the only way MS is going to change from being total @$holes is by us making them desperate.

These are the companies that own OpenGL and AMD is one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khronos_Group

well done, you have spotted that all games are developed on pc's.  but feel free to ignore the facts at hand and substitute your own reality.

I never said dx11.2 is on win7, why are you injecting irrelevant information into this discussion.  You're so far in the hatred basket you see anyone who sits on the fence as a fanboy.

No you are selling DX 12 on Win 7 when MS refuses to even give Win 7 DirectX 11.2 which was a minor change. We have zero DirectX 11.2 games because of Microsoft doing so.

It doesn't matter if it is "compatible" with Windows 7. It could be compatible with Vista. It could be compatible with ANY Windows 64 bit OS. It doesn't mean we are getting it.  

So they can run on pcs before because they were developed in pcs... but they cant run forza on pc without being a port because ? LOLOLL

Wow you didn't get what I was saying, not even close. All I said was that running Xbox One games on PC are no "PORTS" they didn't need DirectX 12 to do it, or any other low level API. Just DirectX 11.2.

If John Carmak didn't say good things about NVIDIA, he wouldn't be gettting paid by them would he?

OpenGL is owned by AMD, Intel, Nvidia. They are all part of the Kronos group, so what you just said literally makes no sense. Carmack has just always supported OpenGL and an Open API. You can go back to his original letter to Microsoft where he said DirectX was $@%#. He said 9 was pretty good compared to their other ones (much later), but that doesn't mean he is ever going to favor a closed API over an open one.

http://www.bluesnews.com/archives/carmack122396.html

^ His letter.

Do the devs want to start from scratch and drop the old crap in all the API's? Sure. You can do that with either though. You are pretty much comparing effects/shaders between the API's. They grow equally. OpenGL effects/shaders will never die because Mac uses them. Any GPU you buy has a DirectX/OpenGL standard listed on it's specs. They are the same damn thing. It just means the GPU can display the newer effects.

Did PS3 games look worse then Xbox One? Nope. How about PS4/Xbox One? Almost the same damn thing as far as effects/shaders. Power of the console/resolution is a whole nother topic. The PS4 is not handicapped in any way not using DX though.

So they can run on pcs before because they were developed in pcs... but they cant run forza on pc without being a port because ? LOLOLL

I think you need to learn what the difference is between developing ON a platform versus developing FOR a platform. They are two very different things.

No you are selling DX 12 on Win 7 when MS refuses to even give Win 7 DirectX 11.2 which was a minor change. We have zero DirectX 11.2 games because of Microsoft doing so.

It doesn't matter if it is "compatible" with Windows 7. It could be compatible with Vista. It could be compatible with ANY Windows 64 bit OS. It doesn't mean we are getting it.  

Did you watch the video? when a corporate VP for a company says "it will run on windows 7"  Then that is what he says.  Until such time as it is released and we know for sure it won't,  you are just speculating. I am not selling anything, I am repeating what is on the video for all to watch.

Did you watch the video? when a corporate VP for a company says "it will run on windows 7"  Then that is what he says.  Until such time as it is released and we know for sure it won't,  you are just speculating. I am not selling anything, I am repeating what is on the video for all to watch.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised (based on Microsoft's track record) if they just went "oops we forgot to release it on Windows 7, please go and buy Windows 8 now" once DirectX 12 is released. That's just speculation though.

Right now it's just got Microsoft's word vs skepticism, no hard evidence.