The first DDR5 modules for desktop will be available by the end of June

illegalwater

TeamGroup-ELITE-DDR5-2.jpg

TeamGroup will be launching some of the first consumer grade DDR5 modules for desktop later this month, they'll be available at major retailers such as Amazon and Newegg. According to Techpowerup 32GB will cost you $399.

At the end of 2020, TEAMGROUP reached a cooperation agreement with top DRAM wafer manufacturers and started working on DDR5 technology. Since then, TEAMGROUP has dedicated to the research and development of DDR5 modules, collaborating with various major motherboard manufacturers to ensure that each R&D stage undergoes comprehensive testing and to deliver products of the highest quality that the industry has ever seen. TEAMGROUP is leading the industry today as we announce our official launch of the world’s first DDR5 memory module for desktops, the TEAMGROUP ELITE U-DIMM DDR5, which is estimated to be available on major EC platforms for consumers worldwide by the end of June and the beginning of July.

The initial launch of TEAMGROUP ELITE DDR5 memory module will support 16GBx2 of capacity at a frequency of 4800MHz, with a voltage of 1.1V CL40-40-40-77, which complies with the standard specifications defined by the JEDEC association. Compared to the maximum 3200MHz standard frequency in the DDR4 generation, the DDR5 is able to increase the speed to up to 50%. The low 1.1V voltage is also more energy efficient than its previous generation; to ensure minimum noise interference for the memory module, the power management is transferred from the motherboard onto the memory with an additional power management IC (PMIC) for more effective system load control. The most incredible feature of ELITE DDR5 is doubling the 16 banks of DDR4 to those of 32 in DDR5 to improve the IC structure, providing double access availability. An on-die ECC (error correction code) included in the DRAM IC is also available for self-recovery of the DRAM unit, ensuring that DRAM systems with DDR5 can obtain higher levels of stability.

The memory module is applicable for Intel 600 series motherboards with DDR5 compatibility. TEAMGROUP’s DDR5 will be available globally at the end of June and the initial product launch will be hitting the shelves at Amazon US, Newegg, Amazon Japan, and various major EC platforms in Europe. Gamers, get ready for the first taste of the next generation and embrace the glory of the new DDR5 era with TEAMGROUP.

Interesting how it's launching so early considering that Alder Lake is rumored to launch late October, I'm assuming they're expecting not to sell very many of these for the first few months haha. Anyway it's exciting news, now it's only a matter of time before we get the first reasonably specced DDR5, this 4800MHz CL40 stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/283515/team-group-steps-into-the-new-ddr5-era-launches-team-elite-ddr5-dimm

https://videocardz.com/press-release/teamgroup-launches-its-elite-u-dimm-ddr5-4800-memory

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

Surprising that they will sell modules for desktop use without any consumer platform availabe to use it in.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I can see it now (yes I made this in MS paint at work)

Screenshot 2021-06-18 085355 (2).png

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

20 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Surprising that they will sell modules for desktop use without any consumer platform availabe to use it in.

That's OK - The scalpers will be happy to hold them for us all until these platforms are released.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

That's OK - The scalpers will be happy to hold them for us all until these platforms are released.

You're joking, but i fear that will be the sad reality with every hardware launch from now on.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

I can see it now (yes I made this in MS paint at work)

Screenshot 2021-06-18 085355 (2).png

Should have also done the matching ebay listing...

Let us praise our DDR5 overlords!

I edit my posts more often than not

These will be fun for the tech YouTubers to play with while the rest of us mere mortals continue to buy and use DDR4 for the next few years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

6 minutes ago, illegalwater said:

According to Techpowerup it's going to be $399 for 32 gigs, Jesus.

https://www.techpowerup.com/283515/team-group-steps-into-the-new-ddr5-era-launches-team-elite-ddr5-dimm

That price is for the scalpers - We'll probrably have to pay them $999 per stick for these.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

You're joking, but i fear that will be the sad reality with every hardware launch from now on.

What starts out as scalping turns into a full fledged commodities market; buying and selling.

Sure is expensive. But it is to be expected of new tech on release.

But June release? This current June? Of this year? D-Do we have a platform for it yet? Am I out of the loop and just didn't see new CPUs and motherboards with DDR5 supports coming out? I know some were announced, but, are they out already?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

New memory is always stupid expense on launch. I hope it comes down quickly though, as it looks like this time around the outgoing memory is outgoing very quickly. Both the new Ryzen and Alder Lake I think are going to be DDR5, leaving us without a cheaper DDR4 option next year.     

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

D-Do we have a platform for it yet? Am I out of the loop and just didn't see new CPUs and motherboards with DDR5 supports coming out? I know some were announced, but, are they out already?

I'd imagine you'd want the ram released before the cpu, so you can actually use the cpu, especially for those who test CPUs before they launch.

1 hour ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Did they finally fix Rowhammer? I doubt it.

All DDR5 supports in-chip ECC which means you'll need 3 rowhammer bitflips to bypass ECC. On top of that, they still employ Target Row Refresh techniques from DDR3/DDR4 in conjunction with the newer Refresh Management (RFM) feature exclusive to DDR5. It's unknown if RFM is going to make much of a difference, but the inclusion of in-chip ECC at least makes it less vulnerable to 1-2 bitflips. The average user likely has nothing to worry about when it comes to Rowhammer.

3 hours ago, illegalwater said:

Anyway it's exciting news, now it's only a matter of time before we get the first reasonably specced DDR5, this 4800MHz CL40 stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

It's important to note that 4800 CL40 is 16.6ns and is considered a JEDEC standard speed. It's not far off from where DDR4's 2133 C15 JEDEC launched (13.12ns). It's also important to keep in mind that DDR5 brings the DIMM-level independent rank design that was first made available on LPDDR4 and GDDR6, meaning you technically have the benefits of rank interleaving on a single DIMM (being able to read from one rank while writing to another). Burst length is also being doubled from 8 to 16 on DDR5 which has many implications. The most notable being an effective doubling of memory bandwidth (being able to send two 32-byte operations in the time DDR4 can deliver one). The other would be the impact the change in burst length has on write recovery. Traditional write recovery follows this formula: CAS Latency - 1 + (Burst Length / 2) + tWTR. The higher CAS and doubling of the burst latency would initially seem like a bad thing for write recovery, but the fact that you can perform a read while still writing on the same banks on your DIMM is a tremendous boon for overall latency & bandwidth efficiency. 

The biggest unknown is whether this bank-based rank interleaving performed on-DIMM will stack with traditional rank interleaving done across different DIMM's on the same channel. I am genuinely excited for DDR5 because even at these slowest speeds, we should see significant gains in overall feel, not counting what we will see when overclockers get their hands on it.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

These will be fun for the tech YouTubers to play with while the rest of us mere mortals continue to buy and use DDR4 for the next few years.

Are we…?  399 200 for 16gigs is a steal! this will sell like hot cakes lol. 

PS: exactly  what i was expecting too, they'll sell those relatively cheap (and people will buy it in droves)

Field day for scalpers though probably…

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

ECC ECC ECC

when is this for consumers? oh

its a bit funny there arent even any consumer boards to supposed this rn, are there?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

ECC ECC ECC

when is this for consumers? oh

DDR5 is only ECC within the module. Not ECC between the DIMM and CPU.

Actual ECC specific modules will include error correction between the DIMM and CPU though (to correct errant timing issues).

So no, consumer DDR5 will not mitigate against reckless OCing fail. Data in RAM would still be corrupted.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

its a bit funny there arent even any consumer boards to supposed this rn, are there?

so one have to make them by hand? while maybe the CPUs doesn't use DDR5 yet, they have more or less accepted ECC?

so, lets gooo!

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

DDR5 is only ECC within the module. Not ECC between the DIMM and CPU.

yeah, but didn't ask about that, and yes I know. gets -20% in speed and performancee uwu

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If only people could band together and not buy from the scalpers then they will lose big and stop doing it.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

WOW DDR5. Hell I remember when SDRAM was current. I got some DDR 1 memory hung on the wall with the motherboard from my first gaming machine. 

I dont think DDR5 will matter for most people at the start. It will probably take few years before it gets wide spread penetration. Especially with how the hardware market has been the last year an a half. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.