The first DDR5 modules for desktop will be available by the end of June

illegalwater
1 hour ago, SlimyPython said:

iirc it takes a couple generations for the next ram generation to end out having an improvement over the last one. So you are mostly fine

I concur.  What would be dumb is me ditching my 16gb of 1600ddr3 for 1800ddr3.  Now if that ram dies before the rest of the computer does it would make sense to replace it with 1800 because why on earth not, but ddr3 has gone as far as it is likely to go.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I can't remember the price and the module size for DDR4 when it came out in 2014 even if it was announced way before that, on google I found 16Gb 2*8 from kingston was around 220USD for DDR4-2133 so the price doesn't seem so high for DDR5 also for DDR4 the price drop 40% in the next 6 months.

Not sure with the chip shortage something like that will happen this time but we'll see.

11 hours ago, Elvara said:

I can't remember the price and the module size for DDR4 when it came out in 2014 even if it was announced way before that, on google I found 16Gb 2*8 from kingston was around 220USD for DDR4-2133 so the price doesn't seem so high for DDR5 also for DDR4 the price drop 40% in the next 6 months.

Not sure with the chip shortage something like that will happen this time but we'll see.

For "consumer" DDR4 that would be X99 HEDT platform then? A price premium to use it with a high end platform is also more acceptable. For the impending Alder Lake launch, that is likely a mainstream not HEDT offering, so economies of volume may kick in faster. Module sizes in 2015 when mass market DDR4 systems arrived with Skylake were 4GB modules most commonly. You can get bigger. I never saw 2GB modules although they exist as a valid option in standards.

I'm also unclear how or even if chip shortages will hit DRAM. Historically it has always gone though cycles of over and under supply. Right now, I'd argue pricing is at a relative low for ram. In a quick look, it is easy and cheap to pick up 2x8GB of 3600. You don't really save going any slower. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible