The first DDR5 modules for desktop will be available by the end of June

illegalwater
1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

I dont think DDR5 will matter for most people at the start. It will probably take few years before it gets wide spread penetration. Especially with how the hardware market has been the last year an a half. 

I think you're underestimating peoples thirst / desire for everything  new ... as soon marketing starts to push this people will buy, especially if its that cheap, and even with price hikes nothing will stop them.

New cpu, mobo, ram , all thanks to the "competetive" fps craze .

idk back in my day we competed by skill, not by who has the most fpsss…

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

WOW DDR5. Hell I remember when SDRAM was current. I got some DDR 1 memory hung on the wall with the motherboard from my first gaming machine. 

I feel kinda dumb for buying Samsung "B-die" Ram this week, but i knew ddr5 is around the corner, and in hindsight it probably wasnt dumb, my pc somehow feels a lot snappier, and i finally oc'd Ram, which was utterly impossible with the weird corsair Ram i had (plus PC feels a *lot* snappier really)

But, yeah, im ready, i guess, next year new mobo/cpu/ram seems reasonable*, depends on how hot the intels run, prob not going to go Ryzen again, way too many small, but annoying issues.

*but… that also depends on how my pcie4-less mobo holds up tbh…

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But, yeah, im ready, i guess, next year new mobo/cpu/ram seems reasonable*, depends on how hot the intels run, prob not going to go Ryzen again, way too many small, but annoying issues.

With all the shortages its going to be a cluster fuck mixed with a shit storm. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

WOW DDR5. Hell I remember when SDRAM was current. I got some DDR 1 memory hung on the wall with the motherboard from my first gaming machine. 

I dont think DDR5 will matter for most people at the start. It will probably take few years before it gets wide spread penetration. Especially with how the hardware market has been the last year an a half. 

I'm getting some 128mb DDR1 RAM in the mail this week, for a retro laptop... and still use DDR3 1333.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

I'm getting some 128mb DDR1 RAM in the mail this week, for a retro laptop... and still use DDR3 1333.

My Plex server has 16 Gigs of DDR3 in it. Not sure on the rated speed. 

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Agreed, thats entirely possible, in which case ill happily keep using my outdated, last gen, high end stuff. 😛

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

My Plex server has 16 Gigs of DDR3 in it. Not sure on the rated speed. 

I've got a strange setup, 8x4gb ddr3, in 8 channel mode. I could put 12 channel ddr3 in it, but then since one CPU has 8 ram slots and the other only has 4, it would still technically be in 8-channel but CPU 0 would have more memory to handle... (Yes this is a workstation dual socket board)

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

it'll be big for the laptop market I think. Lower power RAM and the faster speed will benefit laptops with an integrated gpu a lot more than it will a regular desktop system.

19 hours ago, illegalwater said:
Spoiler

TeamGroup-ELITE-DDR5-2.jpg

Put some cloths on you're nearly naked!

Some really large UDIMM capacities coming soon by the looks

15 hours ago, MageTank said:

Burst length is also being doubled from 8 to 16 on DDR5 which has many implications. The most notable being an effective doubling of memory bandwidth (being able to send two 32-byte operations in the time DDR4 can deliver one).

Under synthetic ram benchmarks like Aida64, we can already approach quite close to the theoretical peak transfer rate of DDR4. Such benchmarks are multi-threaded and designed to maximise throughput. There doesn't seem to be enough room to double bandwidth, unless we look at different scenarios. Can I assume the benefits of a longer burst length might affect "regular" software more than such synthetic benchmarks?

15 hours ago, MageTank said:

The biggest unknown is whether this bank-based rank interleaving performed on-DIMM will stack with traditional rank interleaving done across different DIMM's on the same channel. I am genuinely excited for DDR5 because even at these slowest speeds, we should see significant gains in overall feel, not counting what we will see when overclockers get their hands on it.

A potential confusion point I've yet to wrap my head around is that the DDR5 modules will each have two channels of half the current width. Overall it would seem not to provide more peak bandwidth in itself, but is this a contributor to these rank/bank effects you describe? 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 6/18/2021 at 9:29 AM, Beerzerker said:

That price is for the scalpers - We'll probrably have to pay them $999 per stick for these.

$999 wow your feeling generous today I'm thinking $1200 get that 3x MSRP 

8 hours ago, porina said:

A potential confusion point I've yet to wrap my head around is that the DDR5 modules will each have two channels of half the current width. Overall it would seem not to provide more peak bandwidth in itself, but is this a contributor to these rank/bank effects you describe? 

Techquickie DDR

https://youtu.be/UKTc9toqgU0?t=99

Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM). Part 6: Burst Mode and Bank Interleaving (a bit slow, but talks more about banks at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjVUmaXaCQ

Not sure if those will help, think it was they are going todo the same way as from DDR3 to DDR 4, just to DDR 5? with their own power filtering?

37 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

$999 wow your feeling generous today I'm thinking $1200 get that 3x MSRP 

Just remember supplies are limited..... Order yours today!

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Techquickie DDR

https://youtu.be/UKTc9toqgU0?t=99

Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM). Part 6: Burst Mode and Bank Interleaving (a bit slow, but talks more about banks at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjVUmaXaCQ

Not sure if those will help, think it was they are going todo the same way as from DDR3 to DDR 4, just to DDR 5? with their own power filtering?

Nope. The 2nd one has many technical errors in it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

My understanding is that while there are no desktop motherboards that take these things currently there are a bunch of servers that do so.  They will generally want ecc memory though.  Ddr5 seems to have a sort of partial or quasi ecc baked in and I am noticing no heat sinks to print branding on, so I wonder if this is server memory being remarketed or something.  One question would be whether these things have the full ecc or this new partial version.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Butt sleet?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, Tan3l6 said:

Let us praise our DDR5 overlords!

Not so fast,

Those DDR5 4800MHz CL40 modules are as slow as DDR4 2400MHz CL20 modules.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

30 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Not so fast,

That’s what generally happens.  When a new ddr version comes out it is at first even slower than the previous version.  Tends to pick up later though. This wouldn’t be memory I would particularly want to buy.

55 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Butt sleet?

Yeah that sounds about right. Actually that sounds more scary. 

11 hours ago, Vishera said:

Not so fast,

If you look at history going through the ram generations, you'll find latency (as time, not cycles)) remains about constant in like for like modules classes. So compare standards based timing with standards based timing, and enthusiast timings with enthusiast timings. You still get the massive change in bandwidth which is still highly desirable for a lot of use cases. For most of my use cases, bandwidth makes a much bigger difference than latency.

Also looking at the ram latency in isolation doesn't help, you have to consider it at a system level where the CPU makes a big difference too. I don't know if Zen 3 has changed things but I do recall Zen 2 had notably worse latency than Intel CPUs of the time. I think it is more a design decision needed by AMD to enable their core scaling. It also doesn't matter much since they mitigate with big L3 caches.

Dang I wasn't expecting DDR5 consumer availability until ~ the end of this year.

I cannot wait for AM5 Rembrandt APUs using RDNA2 paired with faster, more mature variants of DDR5.

12 minutes ago, Joduko said:

Dang I wasn't expecting DDR5 consumer availability until ~ the end of this year.

I cannot wait for AM5 Rembrandt APUs using RDNA2 paired with faster, more mature variants of DDR5.

As someone who has not yet updated I am also interested, if only to be able to skip yet another apparently this time fairly short lived hardware generation.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

if only to be able to skip yet another apparently this time fairly short lived hardware generation.

yes ;(

Although the first generation of this is likely going to have some issues? hopefully it goes smoothly in first or second generation with that tech.

and what it might bring.

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

yes ;(

Although the first generation of this is likely going to have some issues? hopefully it goes smoothly in first or second generation with that tech.

and what it might bring.

There is that. Coming up on a v1.0 again.

Edited by Bombastinator

On 6/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, Mark Kaine said:

I feel kinda dumb for buying Samsung "B-die" Ram this week, but i knew ddr5 is around the corner

iirc it takes a couple generations for the next ram generation to end out having an improvement over the last one. So you are mostly fine

✨FNIGE✨