Nvidia has UNDERPRICED the 3080 ti.

Sat1600

So everyone is trashing Nvidia for charging too much for the 3080 ti.

I do not get this take. YOU ARE NOT GETTING THIS CARD AT MSRP. You  will be lucky to even see an "add to cart button" Nvidia should charge $2000. Leave no margin for scalpers. Put that extra cash into R&D. When the crypto boom is over, we get better cards and they can slash prices.

There is actual value from mining. Miners will pay whatever they can if they still make a profit. That is the value of the card. Asking Nvidia to give up that profit,  is insane. You will not benefit from it. The only ones who gain will be scalpers.

This goes for AMD and Sony as well. I would much rather the money go into research for next gen cards than into scalper pockets

20210602_135159.jpg

1 minute ago, Sat1600 said:

Sony

Dafaq does Sony have to do with this? 

Intel has more in common with and and Nvidia than fucking Sony.

The 3080ti is too expensive, at 1200$. Aibs will be more than that. There still is a large price gap, at about 1000$.

Not the 3070ti doesn't deserve as much hate as its getting. 100$ more for more cores and g6x instead of g6 is fine by me.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Could have just added this "counterpoint" in the already created threads.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

5 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Nvidia should charge $2000. Leave no margin for scalpers. Put that extra cash into R&D. When the crypto boom is over, we get better cards and they can slash prices.

I don't think you get how the market works, if the card would retail for 2000$, then scalpers will end up selling the card for more than they used to before.

This is what happens when you hot take, but haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

What does AMD or Sony have to do with mining? Mining isn't worth doing on the RX 6000 series cards and you can't mine on a PS5.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I don't think you get how the market works, if the card would retail for 2000$, then scalpers will end up selling the card for more than they used to before.

I think the idea is they should charge such an absurdly large amount that only people who need them can buy them. 

But yeah if the msrp is absurdly high theyll still be bought and resold just way higher. 

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

There is a limit to how the price can go.

Supply, demand and $$$ that can be made from mining define that upper limit.

NVidia could have put msrp at 300$ would still be scalped to 2-3k.

I guess if they priced it absurdly high maybe nobody would buy it. That’s one way to prevent scalping I suppose.

6 minutes ago, forum user said:

This is what happens when you hot take, but haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

I agree with OP but I also resemble this comment...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

9 minutes ago, Kronoton said:

Yes, in order to reach to a equilibrium you can increase prices (to calm down demand) but you are completely missing a major point here. Scalping. If MSRP was lower, card wouldnt be scalped as high.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Kronoton said:

Yes, but at that rate scalpers will just move on to lower end cards with better price/performance ratio so at this rate you'll end up with an RTX 3060 MSRP rising to 1500$

18 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Nvidia should charge $2000. Leave no margin for scalpers. Put that extra cash into R&D. When the crypto boom is over, we get better cards and they can slash prices.

It doesn't matter what Nvidia charges, the MSRP's are pointless as scalpers will sell cards for way more.

And better cards at slashed prices? I seriously doubt that because Nvidia increased prices with the RTX 2000 cards, and kept that pricing with the 3080Ti, a card that costs 70% more than the 3080 but isn't significantly faster than a 3080. I think the higher prices are going to be what Nvidia charges as people are still buying cards even at the stupidly high prices.

I think the price shows restraint in this climate and if I could get them for MSRP I would pick up 2 or 3.

Like with cars or anything else I will not pay a penny more than MSRP and if that means going without, so be it.

Fortunately I have my 2080 tis and 1080 tis that I bought at or below MSRP to tide me over.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

If anything, you might be able to make an argument that the 3080 is underpriced, but not the 3080 Ti. It's got 5-10% performance over a 3080 at 171% the MSRP. That is insanely bad value, and nothing but a greedy cash grab by Nvidia.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes, let's encourage and celebrate higher prices. I'm sure the corporates will gladly cut down the prices once this is all over... It definitely won't lead to even higher prices from scalpers.

corporate man good, make friend he do good for consumer. Money is no friend, he no like money, only happy friendship.

/s

Getting consumers used to higher prices is only going to lead to even higher prices down the road, corporations are only here to make money, not be your friend, not to help you out, etc. but to make money.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Sony

NEW TRINITRON CRTS FOR THE YEAR 2021 CONFIRMED!!! 😄

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

corporate man good, make friend he do good for consumer. Money is no friend, he no like money, only happy friendship.

/s

Getting consumers used to higher prices is only going to lead to even higher prices down the road, corporations are only here to make money, not be your friend, not to help you out, etc. but to make money.

Yeah, the ironic thing is Nvidia initially came out the gate with lower than expected MSRP, because they expected AMD to undercut them with much more compelling GPUs this gen. Then, supply and prices went to hell. The 3080 Ti is a return to form for Nvidia: charging way more than what something is worth, just because they can.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Yes, but at that rate scalpers will just move on to lower end cards

The way I see it (not that I really care that much) is that scalper buy anything from a 1080 up at any price as long as they think they can sell it for more.

Anything RTX30x0 is suitable for mining and that what defines the prices and it seems that these card will turn a profit for them until either the market crashes (fingers crossed) or something better comes around (ASIC,RTX4000...).

In the end just follow the advice given in the videos OP refers to "don't buy at these prices, it ain't worth it" and as long as you don't run a company that uses these cards for compute reasons there is 0 reason to make fuss about not getting one at a "fair" price.

19 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Yeah, the ironic thing is Nvidia initially came out the gate with lower than expected MSRP, because they expected AMD to undercut them with much more compelling GPUs this gen. Then, supply and prices went to hell. The 3080 Ti is a return to form for Nvidia: charging way more than what something is worth, just because they can.

same thing happened with the 2000 series

with the next series will they keep the same current prices?

ok with the rtx 5060 a new geb graphics card will start at 1k usd, the 5070 1.3k, the 5090 3k lol

I think OP is on the right route, ignoring the number thrown out. The reality we live in is that launch MSRP is unlikely to ever come back. We need to move on from that. No amount of crying is going to change that. You either pay to get it, keep using older gear, or look to the competition for a better solution.

IMO the MSRP of still active products should be updated to be more realistic going forward. That doesn't mean the MSRP should be hard on scalper pricing, but more realistic what a reputable retailer could sell at. I think the ideal opportunity was to do that at the same time as the introduction of LHR versions of the older models. Haters gonna hate, saying you get less GPU for more money, but it is a different product regardless and that's an ideal time to adjust pricing to reflect reality.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

The reality we live in is that launch MSRP is unlikely to ever come back

Ofcourse it will come back.

There will be a time when all the miners try to offload their used and obsolete (for them) cards 2nd hand and if that coincides with a release of a new gen of cards that is no interest to them (crash, ASICs whatever) and doesn't offer that much extra value compared to the used one for games. At that time they will try to push as many cards into retail as they can which will then get sold at low margins (at or just below MSRP) add a strong competition (AMD and maybe even Intel) and MSRPs will go down too.

Might be next gen, might be 2 or more out but that time will come.

24 minutes ago, porina said:

I think OP is on the right route

ignoring the number thrown out.

I was thinking that

… 

until i saw the conclusion that that somehow would cut out "scalpers"

Im also definitely baffled at the amount of people "not paying over msrp ever" but paying *under msrp* is somehow totally an ok for them, because?? 

Same lack of fundamental misunderstanding how a free market works I guess.

24 minutes ago, porina said:

The reality we live in is that launch MSRP is unlikely to ever come back. We need to move on from that.

I mean, depends on the product, but Id mostly agree. As long JIT is a thing - which is a very stupid thing to do in many cases because its strategically unwise and only focused on short term gains, this very likely isnt going to change, although I could definitely see a situation where it does change, difficult to predict, but yeah, people  should also realize msrp is actually just a strategical "suggestion" as the name implies, rather than being the actual worth of a good.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity