What's a tech term you hate?

da na
10 minutes ago, Felipe9999 said:

I would personally use Windows 7 on my main PC except for the fact that nvidia drivers refused to install on it. I personally feel like Windows 7 was the last good Windows with 8 and 8.1 being bad and 10 being meh. 11 would have to prove me wrong when it launches on October 5th.

Right! I liked W7. Miss it. Was not resource heavy at all. Fast stable and reliable. 

So basically, the software makes the hardware obsolete faster.

W10 "no other windows will be released..."

Enter Windows 11 here... ftpm mandated. Makes all hardware not capable of ftpm 2.0 obsolete. 

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Right! I liked W7. Miss it. Was not resource heavy at all. Fast stable and reliable. 

So basically, the software makes the hardware obsolete faster.

W10 "no other windows will be released..."

Enter Windows 11 here... ftpm mandated. Makes all hardware not capable of ftpm 2.0 obsolete. 

Yeah, that sucks for about 80% of people who don't have/don't know how to activate fTPM 2.0. That would not affect me personally as my PC does have it, but what will make me decide whether it's worth it to jump or not is hardware support. If new hardware support is dropped from W10 and new drivers for old hardware require W11, I may jump to it, and then complain about it, like I did originally when putting W10 on my then new PC.

I might have already posted this one, can't remember, but it's not going away and neither is my irritation:

"Lag" for any perceived dip in performance and usually applied to less-than-desired frame rate. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

18 minutes ago, Middcore said:

"Lag" for any perceived dip in performance and usually applied to less-than-desired frame rate. 

YES!

Relly, its a stupid term, but it comes from the term lagging behing I think, which reallly is only the newtwork.

Like if your lagging in a online game, your ping is usually really highk, or super inconsistent.

You can't lag in a ofline game, stop saying you are

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

YES!

Relly, its a stupid term, but it comes from the term lagging behing I think, which reallly is only the newtwork.

Like if your lagging in a online game, your ping is usually really highk, or super inconsistent.

You can't lag in a ofline game, stop saying you are

I think there's a whole generation of gamers now who have never actually experienced noticeable network lag in an online game because they can't remember a time before broadband. So they just use lag to mean "muh gamez not smooth" without thinking about whether it makes any sense. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I think there's a whole generation of gamers now who have never actually experienced noticeable network lag in an online game because they can't remember a time before broadband. So they just use lag to mean "muh gamez not smooth" without thinking about whether it makes any sense. 

Ive had lag issues, usually on games that just had major updes and have high server load.

But thats not a network issue, thats a server issue, but itstill causes effects of lag, high ping, characters jumping from place to place

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, A_Idiot said:

normie

Never heard that one.  In college the term “mundane” was used.  There was a thing about going out to say, the mall, in renaissance era clothing in order to “freak the mundanes”. I don’t know how similar it is.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Normie = person in the majority who has no knowledge of or interest in (PC's/anime/tabletop role-playing games/insert other geeky thing the minority group the speaker is part of likes). 

It can be a bit cringe because it's kind of reinforcing a gatekeeping us-vs-them mentality which is kind of outdated and possibly harmful. On the other hand it's undeniably useful in some cases as a shorthand reality check that the average person doesn't know or care about a lot of the minutiae we do, and since it's explicitly identifying those people as "normal" and us as "abnormal" it's arguably more self-deprecating to those using it than anything else.

27 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

"Bare metal"

Hmmm.. depends on what it means.  It used to mean hand building code in assembly style programming.  Don’t know what it means now.  There’s an argument that compilers killed bare metal programming I guess which would mean there is no one alive today that actually does it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, A_Idiot said:

"Somebody who has no knowledge over memes and no meme discipline. Normies will usually spam any new memes and eventually kill them.

Richard, you spammed this meme so much it's not funny anymore. You god damn normie."

Its this, but for tech.

Heh.  I might be one then.  I’m still hazier than I’d like on what meme actually means. It seems to be a term of shifting meaning.  I tend to only post pics of stuff I personally think is funny and apropos. I generally don’t know if they’re memes or not though.  The term “meme stock” is one I don’t really get.

Been quite a while since I've visited this thread so...

Saying hardware is "optimized" for a software or OS. Other way around not so much, still bothersome but back in the day there were cards where if you didn't have an Nvidia card they would run like crap, or features like particle effects or physics wouldn't work. But it really, really bothers me when manufacturers say a low end device is "optimized for windows 10" or even worse "optimized for web browsing" to make it sound more appealing and less terrible to the average consumer. 

22 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The bit that bugged me was your implication that 4/4 machines could still game and you were somehow cheated because you would have been fine with your 6500 or whatever it was.

...I literally never said or implied that. What in the world?

Yeah guessing what another thinks is not a smart thing to do, 99% chance you are incorrect.
Might not be a tech term but i have a great distaste for it.

How about you just ask what someone means if you're not sure. Instead of filling it with your own usually incorrect opinion.

(i know its incorrect from experience, im also guilty of this, no one is perfect! 😉 )

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 hours ago, Jaesop said:

...I literally never said or implied that. What in the world?

Seemed that way.  Not sure where that error occurred.  Explains a lot though.

Closures in JavaScript;

Long time ago I tried learning the basic of HTML, CSS and JavaScript but I remember had really hard time understanding what Closures are.

Silicon lottery. "Binned chips"

Is a tech term way openly used.

To bin chips....

Get at least one full tray of chips and start testing. Pick the 5 fastest chips, those are binned.

But just because the cores clock high, doesn't mean your memory controller is worth a shit.

No, you didn't win some silicon lottery with a cpu that boosted 50mhz higher than someone else's. It just doesn't work that way.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:39 PM, Bombastinator said:

Seemed that way.  Not sure where that error occurred.  Explains a lot though.

Not sure how it could "seem" like I said something I didn't, but okay.

calling me a hacker as I am trying to figure out how a site is structured thought inspect.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, Jaesop said:

Not sure how it could "seem" like I said something I didn't, but okay.

Words suck that way.  Happens all the time.  It’s why telephone works as a game. Communication is never perfect.  

5 minutes ago, sub68 said:

calling me a hacker as I am trying to figure out how a site is structured thought inspect.

Sounds like this one starts with a basic misunderstanding of the term “hacker” from the commentator.  For them it may just mean “does somethihing I don’t understand with computers”. 

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like this one starts with a basic misunderstanding of the term “hacker” from the commentator.

Yeah

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

For them it may just mean “does somethihing I don’t understand with computers”. 

or sites like in like 2 clicks I figured out how to download any tik tok from there site.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Words suck that way.  Happens all the time.  It’s why telephone works as a game. Communication is never perfect.  

I mean, the point is I never said those words. I think you're trying to say you misread what I said or just forgot.

13 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

I mean, the point is I never said those words. I think you're trying to say you misread what I said or just forgot.

The impression I got is the impression I got.  For example, I am getting the impression the view of the last few posts seems to me to be more or less “I DEMAND THAT THIS BE YOUR FAULT!!  I COMMUNICATED CORRECTLY! YOU JUST SUCK!!” Communication doesn’t work that way.  There is the intent of the concept of what is to be communicated, and the reception of that concept.  Ideally they are the same.  This is not always the case though.  Apparently it wasn’t in the case discussed.  Whether your delivery was imperfect or my reception of it was imperfect is irrelevant.  Exact communication was not achieved.  Such things happen.  One hears about people “walking back” comments all the time.  It’s a thing that is necessary.  The issue with walking comments back, is that there becomes a question of whether the initial reception actually accurately portrayed the intent.  I do not personally believe this to be true in this case.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

For example, I am getting the impression the view of the last few posts seems to be more or less “I DEMAND THAT THIS BE YOUR FAULT!!  I COMMUNICATED CORRECTLY! YOU JUST SUCK!!”

I'm not demanding anything be your fault. I'm pointing out that you thought I said something I objectively didn't.

Also, no idea why you're inventing whole cloth that I insulted you. Yikes.

Whether your delivery was imperfect or my reception of it was imperfect is irrelevant.

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree. It seems a lot more like you're incapable of acknowledging that you made a mistake.

One hears about people “walking back” comments all the time.  It’s a thing that is necessary.  

Yeah dude. People do that when they realize they were mistaken. Y'know - like you were.