What's a tech term you hate?

da na
2 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

I'm not demanding anything be your fault. I'm pointing out that you thought I said something I objectively didn't.

Also, no idea why you're inventing whole cloth that I insulted you. Yikes.

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree. It seems a lot more like you're incapable of acknowledging that you made a mistake.

Yeah dude. People do that when they realize they were mistaken. Y'know - like you were.

It’s a gestalt of the collected statements.  If it is again not your intent it is again not your intent.  It is the communication I am receiving, but communication is never perfect.  That mistaken thing is the assumption I was talking about.  It isn’t always true.  This is why there are “successful walk backs” and unsuccessful ones, as well as shades between the two.  As example your last paragraph lends credence to the original interpretation though it may not  have been intended to do so.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Calling 1440p "QHD"

Samsung calling their proprietary tech "QLED"

32:9, 1440p or 1080p displays labeled as "4k"

32:9 being called "ultra widescreen", when that term should refer to 21:9

calling a display "curved" without ever giving the r-value

using arc-minutes of eye resolution to poo-poo 4k (vs. dot-pitch and viewing distance)

ultra-thin; usually means "can't cool worth a crap"

FHD - as we had higher-definition in the days of WUXGA

loads more

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Calling 1440p "QHD"

Samsung calling their proprietary tech "QLED"

32:9, 1440p or 1080p displays labeled as "4k"

32:9 being called "ultra widescreen", when that term should refer to 21:9

calling a display "curved" without ever giving the r-value

using arc-minutes of eye resolution to poo-poo 4k (vs. dot-pitch and viewing distance)

ultra-thin; usually means "can't cool worth a crap"

FHD - as we had higher-definition in the days of WUXGA

loads more

All systems invented by marketers to attempt to mislead.  As someone who commonly has issues with that in many aspects of life I cannot but agree.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

"Transpile"

It just does the opposite of having a ring to it - especially considering it's a portmanteu of "translate" and "compile", and "translate" is already a perfectly fine description of what it's doing!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

• 2 weeks later...

A new one that recently got on my nerves.

"but hot air rises" in the context of case airflow. 

I really hate when people call laptops "notebooks" personally it's always struck me as unhelpful

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

"Molex connector" as if it's a single type of connector.

Not many people realize this, but Molex is a manufacturer of many, many different types of connectors or even simple pin-headers. In fact, most connectors inside the PC are Molex' Microfit connectors. This includes the 4/8-pin, 24-pin connectors as well as the PCIE power-connectors.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:12 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

"Transpile"

It just does the opposite of having a ring to it - especially considering it's a portmanteu of "translate" and "compile", and "translate" is already a perfectly fine description of what it's doing!

When I think dogpile of trans people.  They wouldn’t like it very much I think.

2 hours ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

"Molex connector" as if it's a single type of connector.

Not many people realize this, but Molex is a manufacturer of many, many different types of connectors or even simple pin-headers. In fact, most connectors inside the PC are Molex' Microfit connectors. This includes the 4/8-pin, 24-pin connectors as well as the PCIE power-connectors.

It becomes more ok when the pin count is mentioned along with modifiers.  4 pin mini-molex for example would be a fan connector, whereas 4 pin molex (without the mini) is a now mostly obsolete 4 pin 0power connector that has largely been replaced by the SATA power connector.

2 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I really hate when people call laptops "notebooks" personally it's always struck me as unhelpful

The problem is both terms are unhelpful.  How often do people actually put laptops on their lap and not on a desk?  Notebook is also potentially misleading though which I think makes it worse.

On 5/11/2021 at 1:20 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Never knew that IDE and PATA were the same, thanks!

Fun fact: IDE was originally only called ATA, not PATA, but when SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) was released they wanted to differentiate it more so PATA (Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment) was born.

elephants

10 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Fun fact: IDE was originally only called ATA, not PATA, but when SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) was released they wanted to differentiate it more so PATA (Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment) was born.

Yeah, know that now... I've learned a lot over 5 1/2 months

6 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

When was the last time you've seen someone putting one of those on their laps to justify the "laptop" name sake?

Unless it's a small net book, you're going to see people put them on a table. If it's a gaming variant, you're def not putting that on your lap. The term notebook actually makes more sense. It folds like a notebook and like a notebook, it's going to be used on a flat surface.

8 hours ago, Mooshi said:

When was the last time you've seen someone putting one of those on their laps to justify the "laptop" name sake?

Unless it's a small net book, you're going to see people put them on a table. If it's a gaming variant, you're def not putting that on your lap. The term notebook actually makes more sense. It folds like a notebook and like a notebook, it's going to be used on a flat surface.

Except for the fact that you don't actually use it as a notebook. If you want a computerised device to use as a notebook, it will usually be a tablet or maybe a Surface-typed thing with an active stylus.

Another term I hate is people talking about "tablets and iPads". An iPad IS  a tablet!

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

7 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Another term I hate is people talking about "tablets and iPads". An iPad IS  a tablet!

I usually hear basically the opposite, people using “iPad” as a generic term for all tablets. 

On 5/7/2021 at 9:29 PM, Mel0nMan said:

What's a tech related term you just can't stand to hear used?

One of mine is when someone says a computer is 'fast'. It's completely objective and actually says nothing about the system. Sure, for someone with not much experience, it's OK to use. But I thought my school Chromebook was fast until I got my FX laptop, thought that was 'fast' until I got my Xeon system, etc. So you really get nowhere talking about how 'fast' a computer is with someone with a different perspective.

Another one I don't like is referring to everything as 'the cloud'. Sure, the cloud is an actual thing, and it's very commonplace. However, not everyone knows exactly what it is and how it works, leading to students at my school saying they 'saved something to their computer' when it's in their Google Drive, and being quite confused when locally saved documents aren't accesible through a web browser. 

Not really a term, but a misconception that bothers me is when people claim that 1440p and 4k look the same and aren't possible to tell apart, which isn't true until you go like 4 feet away

I hate people that refer to cheaters in online games as Hackers.

That's so unaccurate. Sure you could argue that the person that made the cheat is a "Hacker" as he circumvented the security measures put in place by the dev and had to do some reverse engineering but a 12 year old that downloaded an aimbot isn't a hacker. It's a cheater.

(i know it comes from people saying someone uses hacks -> therefore hacker, but I hate how the word is used)

35 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I usually hear basically the opposite, people using “iPad” as a generic term for all tablets. 

8 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Except for the fact that you don't actually use it as a notebook. If you want a computerised device to use as a notebook, it will usually be a tablet or maybe a Surface-typed thing with an active stylus.

what about when someone calls their iPad an iPod...

Intel UHD Graphics

can't really understand where the ultra comes from..

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Just now, Dreckssackblase said:

from Ultra HD as in 3.840 x 2.160. Because it can technically output that.

But that does remind me of another pet peeve of mine. Using 4k and UHD completely interchangably even though they are different resolutions.

6 hours ago, Dreckssackblase said:

But that does remind me of another pet peeve of mine. Using 4k and UHD completely interchangably even though they are different resolutions.

But they are both too short.  3840x2400 - properly known as WQUXGA.  Bring it back and give me 120hz.

Rog Rig Reboot

Because it turns people into entitled brats

Edit:

It also apparently makes people deaf and/or illiterates 

"USA and Canada only"

"Can I apply if I'm from <not the USA or canada>?"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Rog Rig Reboot

Because it turns people into entitled brats

Naw.  It just makes their entitled brattiness more visible because it concentrates it some.  I myself saw the last video on such and thought “heyyy” I could really use something like that.  If I won. I wouldn’t even care if apple put out a decently powerful desktop machine for a price I could handle for the first time in coming on 20 years now (yeah, it’s not real likely as I see it.  Hope keeps seeming to spring for me on this one)  looking at the requirements though, I don’t think I could even make an interesting video of any length, much less one of less than a minute.  I don’t think it’s worth even applying. My current machine is old and starting to chug kinda bad, and I spent the money I had saved for a new one on a replacement phone (old one developed a motherboard issue) and an expensive desk chair (back developed a “why can’t I stand straight without intense pain issue) So a desktop Mac will hurt a lot if they come out with one that is worth buying, but there are worse machines than mine  out there, and kids that can make an interesting short video.