How manny computers would it take to heat a house

Ryanwake

Not sure if this goes in off topic 

But it wouldn't surprise me if would be that much more expensive if you didn't pay for heating.

Plus wether your mining or hosting servers it wouldn't be hard to make money.

Depends what you call "heating a house". Any normal PC could lift the ambient temperature a 1-2 degrees, but only a small range (1-2 inches). If you want to replace your house's heating system that's a different story. Really all you need is the latest i9 😂

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

It depends.

1 computer with 4 GPUs is going to produce more heat than 4 computers with iGPUs.

So the question is inherently flawed.

Just one, if you put 2 GTX 590's and an FX-9590 with the LMG-HS on it. Make sure that it's in the smallest possible case and that your 590's are starved for airflow, so that heat will radiate from the case. MAKE SURE that you

Put it in the center of the house and route the exhaust to the rooms you need heated. Make sure to put fans throughout your ducting system so the heat moves.

elephants

Just now, Den-Fi said:

It depends.

1 computer with 4 GPUs is going to  produce more heat than 4 computers with iGPUs.

So the question is inherently flawed.

How about a FX 9590 and 4 Fury X GPUs?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Just one, if you put a 3090 and an 11900K with an LGA1200 Intel stock cooler in. Make sure that it's in the smallest possible case and that your 3090 is starved for airflow, so that heat will radiate from the case.

Put it in the center of the house and route the exhaust to the rooms you need heated. Make sure to put fans throughout your ducting system so the heat moves.

How does a smaller case produce more heat?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

How about a FX 9590 and 4 Fury X GPUs?

They said heat, not vaporize.

Well, just one GPU in my room is enough to slowly heat up my room till I need to turn on my AC

About 180W continuos from that PC, efficiency included

I have 2000W-ish running outside of my room, where it's passively ventilated, and the ambient temp there is +5-7c compared to everything is off

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I can heat up my living room, just by leaving my Dell PowerEdge 2900 (III) running for a day. Those old Xeons really are a furnace... 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

How long is a piece of string?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Smaller case = less airflow = components get hotter = more heat comes from case. This comes from personal experience.

Less airflow = hotter air, but the amount of energy shouldn't increase just from that

But hotter running components does consume more power, power leak due to increase in resistance from higher temps

So yes, components do generate more heat when run hotter

But since GPU are power limited, I'm not too sure how that would affect things

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Smaller case = less airflow = components get hotter = more heat comes from case. This comes from personal experience.

That’s... not how that works. The components get hotter, but only because the heat is not able to leave the case as fast. If anything you would probably be creating less heat, since the CPU would probably thermal throttle and draw less power, resulting in less heat output. That’s like thinking a water cooled rig will result in your room warming up less, which is actually the opposite of what will happen.

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

The better the cooling the more heat will get in your room. It's the other way around.

A house full of computers with in each room a PC with a Vega 56 or 64.

Just now, The_russian said:

That’s like thinking a water cooled rig will result in your room warming up less, which is actually the opposite of what will happen.

Reminds me of the people that constantly ask if this = sub-ambient temps lol.

2102070702212102072102072102070702212L1A0022-Edit.thumb.jpg.ec08922831cfd6e4f5cf11dc8a59c14a.jpg

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

That’s like thinking a water cooled rig will result in your room warming up less, which is actually the opposite of what will happen.

Yep, I know that. However, when I cover all of my intakes and exhausts on my case, the office warms up a fair amount (don't have a way to measure it, though) and my computer case is VERY hot to the touch. Temps inside jump ~10C.

1 minute ago, FRD said:

A house full of computers with in each room a PC with a Vega 56 or 64.

Nah, you got to swap those Vegas for Fury X's with an R9 Nano cooler. Heat galore!

elephants

3 minutes ago, The_russian said:

That’s... not how that works. The components get hotter, but only because the heat is not able to leave the case as fast. If anything you would probably be creating less heat, since the CPU would probably thermal throttle and draw less power, resulting in less heat output. That’s like thinking a water cooled rig will result in your room warming up less, which is actually the opposite of what will happen.

Not to mention that there are far better components you could use instead of just being lame and memeing on the FX9590 and GTX 590s. At this point shitting on Fermi and FX is just reaching the same point of saying Chrome is a RAM whore: it wasn't really funny to begin with, and it's only gotten more unfunny.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well as someone who works in the engineering consulting industry for hvac i would say it depends on the house. I mean where in the world is the house located? How many windows does the house have? Where are the windows located relative to North South East and West? What are the walls made of? How many people are typically in the house? The list goes on and on and once you have a proper heat calc with all that relevant info then you can determine the amount of heating you would need and then dictate how many computers you would need. 

It's a silly question.

What's in the computer matters, what produces heat.

fans bring colder air from outside the case, the air is pushed through radiators and heatsinks and gets warmed (heat moves from metal fins and heatsinks into the air) and then the warmer air goes out the case.

Warm air rises, so the air closer to the top of your room would be warmer than the air at the bottom... that's why it may take a long time until you'd notice your room heating up from a single computer or something that consumes little power.

An FX-9590 should ought to do it.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

26 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Depends what you call "heating a house". Any normal PC could lift the ambient temperature a 1-2 degrees, but only a small range (1-2 inches). If you want to replace your house's heating system that's a different story. Really all you need is the latest i9 😂

I guess I could rephrase the question, how many computers would it take to more than heat a small house in the winter. That way you could scale it up if you have a bigger house. 

And instead of computers you could just say whatts, because I assume 1,000 watts of hard drives produces the same heats of 1000 watts of gpus.

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Guys guys, I found the actual answer

Just one PC

Nice one

2 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

I guess I could rephrase the question, how many computers would it take to more than heat a small house in the winter. That way you could scale it up if you have a bigger house. 

And instead of computers you could just say whatts, because I assume 1,000 watts of hard drives produces the same heats of 1000 watts of gpus.

It highly depends, but whatever wattage of heater that works, a PC that consumes equivalent wattage will heat it about the same