Apple April 20 event - New iMac and iPad Pro with M1 chips, 'AirTags' and a new iPhone color

AndreiArgeanu
1 minute ago, Kisai said:

and if you're accessing 30,000 row documents, that is literately pushing multi-hundred-MB updates

That's not how that works, if it's a browser based application only screen updates are going between the client device and the cloud service. Even if it's a cloud access file using a fat client application Remote Differential Compression and other things like it is a thing, if you change 400KB of data only 400KB needs to be sent to the cloud service not the whole entire file again.

44 minutes ago, avg123 said:

I dont know if you read my edit but its only 5mm thick!! 5mm. thats thinner than the thinnest phone ever made. thats incredible

It's not 5mm, it's 11.5mm. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

It's not 5mm, it's 11.5mm. 

ah sorry i think i read the thickness of the ipads

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's not how that works, if it's a browser based application only screen updates are going between the client device and the cloud service. Even if it's a cloud access file using a fat client application Remote Differential Compression and other things like it is a thing, if you change 400KB of data only 400KB needs to be sent to the cloud service not the whole entire file again.

Depends how it's stored. Half the people at the office won't use OneDrive because their multi-GB files on it have to be synced every time they make an edit to it. Where as if they access the same files via the web-client Office365, the webclient allows for differential updates on small files, but it's diminishing returns as the files get larger.

Then you have people who have dropped their entire PST files onto OneDrive and open them every time they open outlook. As long as they don't make any changes to it, the laptop won't try to sync the files back to OneDrive, but because PST files are encrypted, any trivial change renders the entire file "different".

Anyway, not too concerned, but I don't like it when people make statements that "Yes, (NEW THING) is good enough for ALL uses of (OLD THING)" without realizing that their use case is not average. Neither is mine, but the same people make the decisions and go "oh, well (business group) only uses Word and Excel, they'll be fine with these cheap 8GB laptops", and then end up having to throw them all out after several months when the bean counters see their own productivity fall off a cliff because they are in that business group. Like we're literately dealing with that at the office still where someone made the thoughtless decision to give engineers the same displaylink docking stations that the 8GB laptops use. 

The average use case should be directly what the product is marketed for. Which they compared it to their 2019 iMac with a GPU model instead of their top-performing iMac, nor a non-GPU model (which is what this is more comparable since it has 50% less memory)

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Oh darn, that's actually really disappointing. One of the thing's I hate the most about other, Windows, All-in-One computers are the external power bricks.

Yeah, I was a bit confused at first. No other iMac has ever used an external power supply. No desktop Mac has done so since the introduction of the 2010 Mac mini. At least it doesn't look massive, and it's got ethernet built in on some models. 

apple-imac-2021-ethernet-e1618940974934.

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

11 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Yeah, I was a bit confused at first. No other iMac has ever used an external power supply. No desktop Mac has done so since the introduction of the 2010 Mac mini. At least it doesn't look massive, and it's got ethernet built in on some models. 

apple-imac-2021-ethernet-e1618940974934.

of course, it's hard to tell from a picture, but really it looks about as big as the power brick for my macbook.

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

Still, Adobe’s code isn’t well optimized. .

Would you say that's something that will come around with updates as the m1 build matures, or is it too systemic to the base code?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

39 minutes ago, Kisai said:

OneDrive because their multi-GB files on it have to be synced every time they make an edit to it

OneDrive only syncs changed data not the whole file and has zero impact on the local edit of the file, sync is a background process that is not in-band to your usage of the file.

Edit:

https://office365itpros.com/2020/04/28/onedrive-differential-sync/

16 hours ago, Kisai said:

The average use case should be directly what the product is marketed for. Which they compared it to their 2019 iMac with a GPU model instead of their top-performing iMac, nor a non-GPU model (which is what this is more comparable since it has 50% less memory)

The overwhelming majority can do everything they need with 16GB ram. You can photo and video edit on the M1 with 16GB ram. The iMac, of any configuration, has never been a replacement or substitute of a workstation, not even in Apple's product lines. There is a thing called scope creep, that's what your doing. Everything this M1 iMac can't do was never done on an iMac in the first place.

Don't buy a two door two seater car and complain you can't get the 4 people in it you needed to, that's your fault not the car's.

I watched apple’s event and when they unveiled that the iPad Pro is getting a m1 processor I started wondering why and after some thinking it makes sense. Think about it. The 11” iPad is $100 more expensive than the mac mini and has less performance but has a screen. Same with the 12.9” compared to the MacBook air. Plus apple could make you buy the $300 keyboard to “unlock” macOS. That makes the the 12.9” model $100 more expensive than a MacBook pro with less battery life and less power and storage, in exchange for a touch screen and IPadOS. I honestly hope I am right because I would kill for this combo. Also Snazzy Labs made a video about how macOS big sur has some changes that would help a touch screen input. Whats do you think about it?

11 minutes ago, AldiPrayogi said:

The thinness of it is just ugly imo. eugh

you like them thick?

That would actually be fairly interesting. Thing is that the last iPad's processor was basically just a less beefed up M1 from what I've read though, so I don't think really much will change; however, I do think that it would be great if iPadOS moved to be a lot closer to macOS, like some sort of hybrid (or at least acquires a more open boot process, like the Macs)

17 minutes ago, ISmokeAir said:

I watched apple’s event and when they unveiled that the iPad Pro is getting a m1 processor I started wondering why and after some thinking it makes sense. Think about it. The 11” iPad is $100 more expensive than the mac mini and has less performance but has a screen. Same with the 12.9” compared to the MacBook air. Plus apple could make you buy the $300 keyboard to “unlock” macOS. That makes the the 12.9” model $100 more expensive than a MacBook pro with less battery life and less power and storage, in exchange for a touch screen and IPadOS. I honestly hope I am right because I would kill for this combo. Also Snazzy Labs made a video about how macOS big sur has some changes that would help a touch screen input. Whats do you think about it?

Edited by NunoLava1998
Add quote, as thread was merged

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

@ISmokeAirmerged with announcement thread since there's already quite some discussion about that. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

20 minutes ago, ISmokeAir said:

they would never cannibalize their own product lines.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

55 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The overwhelming majority can do everything they need with 16GB ram. You can photo and video edit on the M1 with 16GB ram. The iMac, of everything configuration, has never been a replacement or substitute of a workstation, not even in Apple's product lines. There is a thing called scope creep, that's what your doing. Everything this M1 iMac can't do was never done on an iMac in the first place.

Don't buy a two door two seater car and complain you can't get the 4 people in it you needed to, that's your fault not the car's.

Don't bother arguing he/she argued with me the other day about the specs needed to run AutoCAD and said it was impossible on integrated graphics. This while I was sitting and doing actual professional (as in what I make my money from) AutoCAD work on integrated graphics on an M1 on a drawing I have also worked on with a Windows laptop with integrated graphics (when not in my home office). 

That is one beast of an iPad.

Fantastic hardware but it feels like it will be severely held back by software. Maybe the goal is that as more Macs become ARM based, Apple will be able to make Mac software run on the iPad as well. 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

they would never cannibalize their own product lines.

That’s why the pricing isn’t very competitive. You would get a worst computer for $100 more but you have iPadOS 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

That is one beast of an iPad.

Fantastic hardware but it feels like it will be severely held back by software. Maybe the goal is that as more Macs become ARM based, Apple will be able to make Mac software run on the iPad as well. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if all three new devices actually use the same system board. Makes sense from a production point of view. If that is the case, then the iPad will probably in time run all Mac software.

4 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

Mixing UI for different input devices is a disasters, I think the Windows 10 UI is a testament to that. Touchscreen UI need larger buttons which make the mouse+keyboard experience horrible.

I think that may be windows 8 you're talking about. Windows has the tablet UI and desktop UI separated and you can have it activate and deactivate the Windows 10 touch friendly UI when you dock and undock from your keyboard(assuming you have a 2 in 1 with such capability). 

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Oh darn, that's actually really disappointing. One of the thing's I hate the most about other, Windows, All-in-One computers are the external power bricks.

As much as I hate external psus, that IS a pretty significant bit of bulk in the machine itself. Though honestly I wouldn't have minded them integrating it into that fancy monitor stand but w/e

5 minutes ago, ISmokeAir said:

That’s why the pricing isn’t very competitive. You would get a worst computer for $100 more but you have iPadOS 

The whole point is to have enough differences and interesting things that can only run on one of them so that you have to buy both... 

Apple is pretty clearly all about "you should have one of each of our products"

F@H

GPD Win 2

I like the Barney colored iPhone!

5 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Would you say that's something that will come around with updates as the m1 build matures, or is it too systemic to the base code?

It’s the base code, Adobe thinks modern hardware can handle anything you throw at it so they don’t want to optimize older code.

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

The whole point is to have enough differences and interesting things that can only run on one of them so that you have to buy both... 

Apple is pretty clearly all about "you should have one of each of our products"

Yeah, that’s a good point. If it would generate a lot of profit, apple might still do it. We’ll have to wait and see

2 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

As much as I hate external psus, that IS a pretty significant bit of bulk in the machine itself. Though honestly I wouldn't have minded them integrating it into that fancy monitor stand but w/e

Duct tape.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.