How can I test local wifi speeds on my router? (trying to figure out if it's fast enough for wireless PCVR)

JamZam

I've been googling "how to test router speed" and pretty much every result is just saying to use something like speedtest.net. Of course, this won't actually test my local network speed, but rather my internet connection speed. Does anyone know how I can actually test the local speed of my router? I have an Android phone and a Windows 11 PC connected to my 5G network, maybe I can do something between those two? Are there any standard tests for this?

- Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX - AMD 7800X3D - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 - 128GB DDR5 RAM - Samsung 980 PRO 2TB - Corsair MP600 CORE XT 4TB -

iperf3 is what I use for bandwidth testing be it local or not. Bandwidth alone isnt a good test to compare routers.  You can also use openspeedtest and host a local instance.

For VR its not all just about bandwidth.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

iperf3 would do it

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

29 minutes ago, JamZam said:

I've been googling "how to test router speed" and pretty much every result is just saying to use something like speedtest.net. Of course, this won't actually test my local network speed, but rather my internet connection speed. Does anyone know how I can actually test the local speed of my router? I have an Android phone and a Windows 11 PC connected to my 5G network, maybe I can do something between those two? Are there any standard tests for this?

If you are going to hook up VR to WiFi then you want the host PC to be wired, otherwise you're just compounding the latency and halving the bandwidth.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

57 minutes ago, JamZam said:

Maybe try this video for local speed test? I've never watched it but it looks helpful

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

16 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If you are going to hook up VR to WiFi then you want the host PC to be wired, otherwise you're just compounding the latency and halving the bandwidth.

Oh, I'm very aware of this. Normally my PC would always be hooked up to a direct ethernet cable, but I'm currently in a temporary housing situation where that won't be an option. Still hoping to get PCVR working if possible, hence why I'm trying to run some tests to get data on whether it'll work or not.

- Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX - AMD 7800X3D - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 - 128GB DDR5 RAM - Samsung 980 PRO 2TB - Corsair MP600 CORE XT 4TB -