Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
3 hours ago, suncore said:

I think you should read this very old article and do a story about this

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/

The facts described in this article are very very rarely understood by recent (home) builders of large storage systems... I routinely see builders using only one disk for redundancy out of many tens of terabytes of pools...

This is very interesting. I would definitely like to see a video about this. I'm planning to build a media server later this year, so this is very much of interest to me. Just what is the URE (unrecoverable read error) rate of proper NAS drives these days? That's something I'll be looking into.

On 5/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, FuuMasta said:

Just saw an add for this thing on Fecebook: https://www.eagluxy.com/products/mini-laptop-core-i7-1tb-storage-16gb-ram-w10-pro

Should try it.

That page is a complete scam. There are a couple of such devices under different brands but not at that price.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I've attempted this myself and if you spend a week trying, it's possible.
Custom VR without a headset (Arduino's with Gyros emulating VR Controllers and Headsets, then you either use your phone or a tv as the screen)

But unless you manage to strap your TV to your head it's nothing like VR. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hey Team,

I saw this on my facebook feed and figured they were making some outrageous claims like 100-hour battery life for one, i hope you guys can get your hands on a pair if they ever get off the ground.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reduxaudio/reduxbuds-ai-powered-noise-cancelling-true-wireless-earbuds?ref=c5aqdb&token=5d75d0ce%3Futm_medium%3Dreferral&utm_source=22.backer.camp 

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Could you make a build using the Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Waterforce? 

Firetruck Unboxing 2, please.

One of my favorite videos was the "No, THIS is the CLEANEST Setup."

I have a great desktop computer but that video has made me want that setup.

Just being able to take your laptop anywhere and plug in a single cable to dock it at home for a more powerful system sounds amazing.

I'd love an update to this to include what Ryzen 4000 laptop you would use, video game performance (and any drawbacks to running an external GPU over Thunderbolt 3), and add storage.

Bonus Points:

-Linux Compatible

-PCIe 4.0 enclosure

I know that you guys reviewed the System76 Thelio desktop about a year ago. Have you considered looking at one of their laptops? They are just Clevo designed notebooks but they run their own custom firmware to make sure that it plays nice with Linux they all run Ubuntu or Pop!OS. I would be particularly interested in seeing the Gazelle and/or Oryx. The Gazelle is a mid-tier gaming notebook (top config is a GTX 1660ti) and the Oryx is high end and can be configured with a 2080 in it.

Basically the premise is an international covid 19 scrapyard wars. 

I am based in the UK, and whilst tech shops are indeed closed, ebay, amazon and online retailers etc are all still open. So it brings a new element to the series, whereby there can be no physical contact, no visiting of stores but instead a contact free version of scrapyard wars where everything must be delivered. 

But the best bit about this idea is the fact that each country has massively different price points and parts availability, it would genuinely be awesome to see what each country can do with the same budget and what machines would be presented at the end. 

I can imagine how complex this project could be, however really feel it would be very entertaining. 

My thoughts were a few viewers from countries such as Canada, USA, UK, Germany, China/Japan etc would be given a budget, would have to supply footage of the product search and buying process, product unboxing, build and finally completing the challanges you usually set, maybe team them up with one of the usual gang to ensure a quality build etc

With linus and the team providing filler content and the judging, it would be awesome. 

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hi, I was thinking about buying the HyperX memory and SSD for my own computer. I tried to do research on these items and I couldn't really find anything about it, like how reliable and trusted they are. I tried looking on your Youtube channel but couldn't find it. If you guys could make maybe a review or something to help find the perfect SSD and memory it would be great.

Many thanks,

Still waiting on @LinusTech to do a video setting up extremely high resolution filming and video editing for Alec Steele.

I want 4k or 8k footage of you feeding some yellow hot steel into Alec's new 300lbs. power hammer.

Although I assume you continue to not do this because you'd have to put on boots. Can't be running around a blacksmith shop in socks and sandals.

Prove me wrong Linus, you won't.

Project idea: A damascus forged play button for your office.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I want you guys to do a vid on what you think a good streaming devise, like a roku, is and over all eel is with the devise

Alex should do thermal upgrade for the DJI Digital Fpv system. The main problem with the system is that the main unit gets too hot so they can first try to upgrade the stock thermal goop with a premium interface then upgrade it with liquid metal and at last try to make a custom heatsink for it and even try to water cool it. 

Please do a video on how to choose a good UPS/Battery Backup for our computers at home. Maybe something for a 600W and something for a 1000+W computer. Also, should be able to sustain the monitor at the same time.

Maybe a video about what went wrong with the epic fail of the GTA V giveaway by Epic Games, not to make fun of them but to showcase just how much is involved in running the day to day operations and how the sudden spike influenced that. Maybe an interview or guest appearance by an Epic employee.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Love the show.  Love the crazy builds even though much of it is over my head.  However, sometimes I wish Linus (by the way HOLY Crap the beard is a good look) would do something simple, like help me figure out what would be the most affordable yet capable machine I can build for my niece (11 yro) who says she want to do the YouTubes.  She loves Roblox and wants to have a channel of her own playing and showing how to build stuff in this game.   Yerrrrrp... that's about it. 

Serioulsy, tell him to keep the beard.  

A few years back LTT participated in a HighLANder gathering with a bunch of other YouTubers where they did a LAN party at the highest point in North America I think.  Maybe it is time to do a LowLANder gathering at the lowest cave/mine in North America to claim the world record and the lowest and highest elevations.

Another idea, maybe do a video on why it is so hard to find a gaming laptop with a touch screen.  I want something that is gaming worthy and my wife wants touch screen.  Preferably I would like to find something in the 1k range.  I have seen some gaming laptops in that range and touch screens are as low as $300, so why not put a touch screen on a gaming laptop for the people that need to "compromise" with a spouse? 

I'd be really really happy if Hand Tech Under A $100 came back as I really love it

A guy asking and answering in his bedroom since he has nothing else to do

I keep reading that the PS5's SSD will leave gaming PCs in the dust due to the integration between software and hardware. Would like to know how much of a difference it might truly make and if (and when) PCs can keep up on this.

I hope Linus and team sees this because it's been a burning question for a long time now. With all the Smart Home devices (specifically lights, switches, plugs) I'm curious to know what type of impact these devices have on a home grade WiFi router vs purchasing one with some processing power behind it. So many people out there state that smart bulbs that do not require a hub are a big plus but I see it as just the opposite. If you have say 20 bulbs and they don't require hubs than that is 20 IP addresses that your router has to allocate .. one for each bulb. That would also mean that's 20 more devices that the router has to cycle through when looking for traffic to/from the devices. If those same 20 bulbs were connected to a hub then that's only 1 IP address the router has to worry about as the hub can then handle the traffic to/from the device on it's own. 

I for one use a Synology 2600AT with their mesh setup running two 2200 supplemental routers. I also run smart devices from Lifx, Hue, TP-LINK and Lutron. (I'm a gadget person and like to test things.) I personally find that the devices that require a hub are much more manageable for several reasons. 

1. When I look at the list of connected devices in my router the ones with a hub only show one devices vs each individual light showing up on the list. That helps shorten the number of devices that I have to sort through when managing devices.

2. If I find a need to reboot my router the ones with the hub come back instantly. For one they don't lose their connection to the hub so when the hub reconnects they reconnect as well. This is just the opposite with the individually connected devices as sometimes one or more of those will not reconnect automatically or will take several extra minutes to reconnect. (My Amazon cameras are notorious for not reconnecting after a reboot.)

As for my initial question, the impact on a home grade router vs an aftermarket say gaming router, should say someone have 100 smart devices individually connected via WiFi. As mentioned, that's 100 IP addresses that need to be allocated processing time on top of any other devices in the system. A router that your ISP gives you IMO might not be as efficient in handing all that extra traffic but a "gaming" router would have a nice built in updated processor that could handle the traffic. Would you get any better response from your lights from commanding them to turn on vs actual turning on using an upgraded router?

Would love to hear people's responses as to what they think. I'm sold on devices that use a hub for connection myself simply for manageability. Oh and I failed to mention that hub devices are much easier to setup IMO. 

Would also love to see Linus take this up at home as well since I'm sure there are a lot of people tinkering with home setups, smart home configs, etc etc during this time of stay at home.