Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Guide videos on making IOT devices using Arduino, nodeMCU, raspberry pi etc. Cluster computing using raspberry pi will be great too.

I made a youtube subscriber counter using nodeMCU and an OLED display (link - https://github.com/sashuu6/youtube-sub-count).

There is a simple home automation project done by me at https://github.com/sashuu6/simple-home-automation.

Sashwat K

Linux and FOSS Enthusiast

My Blog - https://www.sashwat.in/

My Portfolio - https://sashuu6.github.io/

Github - https://github.com/sashuu6

I just saw a pic on an eypc 7742 on your twitter. I'd love to see a video comparing the performance per watt of epyc zen 2 chiplets to ryzen zen 2 chiplets.

A nice next gen firewall roundup would be great, but might be a very big project if you also want to include some support testing and firmware/update sability over a longer period of time etc.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:31 PM, iKingRPG said:

Please make a video on Home Assistant! It is a DIY open source smart home hub that connects everything smart together and you can make automations and a custom UI and if you want to hide from companies, run it all offline. Think of the automations like IFTTT on steroids, and the UI known as Lovelace UI, like the most customizable UI ever. It can run on a low power PC or even something like a $35 raspberry pi 3 just fine, and people also use things like intel NUCs.

Here are some cool things about it:

• It integrates with motion eye, the same thing you used for your DIY camera video
  • You know how you mentioned Chainberlain charges a monthly subscription for Google Assistant and IFTTT? Well, you just integrate your MyQ Garage with Home Assistant, and boom, better than IFTTT. And you can also connect home assistant to google assistant, so basically you won.
  • Everything has an integration. Roku, playstation, Google Cast, cameras, speakers, zwave, bulbs, dryers, motion sensors, vaccums, sirens, you name it.

The Lovelace UI is super customizable and fun.

The automations are also fun

"When TV in living room starts playing a movie, dim the lights."

"When my phone isnt connected to Wi-Fi anymore, Arm the security system and lock all doors."

"if alarm is triggered, turn all lights to red, and play siren.mp3 on Google Home Mini in kitchen, and Chromecast in family room."

"when doorbell rings, play video on chromecast in living room and send message to everyone via hangouts."

And recently they added Home Assistant Cast, allowing you to cast your UI to any GOogle cast device with a screen such as chromcast, android tv, Nest hub, etc.

Also you can do fun stuff, like a amazon dash "party button".

When it is pressed you could play music on all speakers, and make all lights different colors.

Idk, it is just fun in my opinion and not only you get to mess around with it and probably make a pretty interestiing video, but more people will discover it and create integrations for it.

Also if you do end up doing a video on this, I recommend installing hass.io, which is their simple easy to install version.

Then after flashing it to SD card (assuming it is on a Raspberry Pi), you find the ip of the raspberry pi. The simplest way to access is to go in a browser and type (ip-address):8123. You will then set it up and you can install the addon called "configurator", so you can access the files easily.

I hope you liked my idea, bye.

Edit: yes i know ive already posted this.

Entirely agree! I've been using Home Assistant for quite a while now. Just try out the demo site! https://demo.home-assistant.io

Reboot your Laptop or bust series! As far as I'm aware and from what YouTube search has brought up, you guys haven't done anymore for like 3 years!

Now I know these videos were more orientated for the summer to earn cash for a laptop before school/college/university. However, for this reboot you can shift it from a summer theme to saving up for a laptop with cash in hand ready for the January sales?

Either way, more Laptop or Bust please!

| CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM - Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 CL 16 3200MHz RGB RAM | GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB | Motherboard - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk |

| PSU - Gigabyte Aorus AP850GM | Case - NZXT H510 Flow | YouTube - SgtKenzo |

Maybe something on the first gen Core I series/x58 platform. 

A look back at it and a modern build with one pimped out to be as RGB'd as possible?

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

A while ago I built a home server (It doesn't use server hardware just desktop hardware), it runs FreeBSD and I use it for apache web hosting, samba local file sharing, game servers, VMs with bhyve and I plan to setup an ftp server. The server has been extremely useful and I opted for it over a NAS because of the extra application and control, I think a great idea for a video would be building a cheap server and showing the applications of it for your average tech and how easy it is to set up with a Linux like Debian which is very easy to install and use. I hope you consider this

-best wishes hrl

Do a video on the cheapest phones on some Chinese or other sketchy website. Maybe include a fake iPhone or two.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

I would love a video series on backing up physical media. Although physical media are basically obsolete at this point, I worry about losing access to content and stealth edits to existing content (like what Netflix did to Lady Dynamite). Thus, I try to obtain content on physical media whenever I can. But physical media has other limitations--things like disc rot or natural disasters. So I would like to know what the best ways are to back up and preserve all the various forms of physical media--DVDs, Blu-Ray, CDs, cartridge-based games, etc. etc. I would also like to know if there are good ways to back up games from digital storefronts.

I would love to see more stuff about Raspberry Pi and the like. I recommend 1 specific thing, and that's the Google AIY kit.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Through the ages with AMD or Nvidia workstation graphics cards.  Or a mid 2000s overkill gaming pc build for Half Life 2 or Garry's Mod.

1 minute ago, Vik717 said:

PC in VHS. front usb and power button.

5846449563.jpg

5846449676.jpg

5881439259.jpg

That's the coolest thing i've seen in awhile i need to to this in a old 70s hifi piece.  Very creative and original build nice.

Hello,

ust a quick word.

Can you make a video about Power Supply that are today not ready for X570 AMD Ryzen Motherboards where you need at least 3x P4 connectors while only 2 are available on today Power supply.

A simple way to get around the problem is to buy a MOLEX to P4 adapter but manufacturers should start building new PSU that take this in account.

PS : I’m french so my English is quite bad.

2 hours ago, ShalokShalom said:

This may very well be the phone that breaks me into smart phones. I own a Pantech P5000 because I got it for free when I upgraded (my old phone was destroyed from throwing it at walls and being struck by lightning). A Blackberry would be fun too, which I actually have. But the P5000 isn't a smartphone. It just calls and texts, that's it. That's why I love it. No bullshit. It just works. The one thing I can't do, is block numbers though. So I get spam calls out the anus. I think LTT should compare this to a Blackberry (maybe the more modern one) and maybe even my phone. It'd be a fun comparison. Pitting it against an iPhone or Note phone would be wrong though. Totally different markets there.

EDIT: Here's something cool I found scrolling through comments on that video. LTT should look into these products too. https://puri.sm/products/

Desktop monitor arms.

I searched for "mount" and your last video was "5 years ago"

Ergonomic tables/sets like where you need make space-efficient workspace like this24-215-085_a

In kitchen set I always wonder why you do not have a PC display on arm that hangs from the ceiling.

How about benchmarking photoshop brush and tool performance.  Its super hard to find good hardware performance comparisons for digital painting tools.  I realize its a lot easier to run tests on filters and load times, but thats a fairly small portion of my work flow.  My big bottleneck has always been how big I can make a brush (or any of the brush type tools).  As a digital painter that works on large files it would be really nice to know what actually affects performance rather than guessing based on other benchmarks.

The tests would be fairly simple to run, all you would need to do is incrementally increase the size of a set of tools until you started getting noticeable lag.  Its one of those things I would do my self but I dont have a bunch of cpus lying around to test with.

hey, so i came across a video earlier today and i just seen the new cooling video on LTT and i just thought i put this as a video suggestion.

maybe make a water block out of this super conducting metal and see how much of a performance boost it makes moving heat away faster