Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
4 minutes ago, cassell said:

out of this super conducting metal

It's a heat-pipe, not "super conducting metal". Besides, heat-pipes have been in use for a long time now, they're nothing new.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

First time here. I hope I am doing this correctly. If not I apologize.

Just saw the tec cooling vid posted today. I was curious how the Tec cooler would perform if attached/sandwiched between 2 120 rads. One side cools the CPU on one loop and the other loop on tec hot side.

Try making a blower CPU cooler, one that is dual PCI-e width, so that you can use a blower, and have it fit in a relatively small chassis.

Kinda like this. I know its a lot, but it would be cool

thing.png

Hi I wonder If LTT want to continue budget pc gaming series. And use android x86, prime os, or lineage os as os and play some gaming there

Before anyone react, please hear me out.

So I decided to buy a MacBook or a Mac desktop for work since I do not like dual booting to Linux and there are not many reputable brands that makes Linux machines with proper driver and OS support. I need the terminal and do not want to use subsystem for Linux. The reason is I feel I would be more productive with Mac OS. But maybe there is a way.

I think it would be nice to demonstrate how a Mac OS user can be as productive with a windows machine or a windows machine with dual booting Linux. Maybe a guide for users switching from Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac. In my opinion in such a video, running Linux in a Windows laptop/desktop must be discussed deeply, tough.

7 minutes ago, ProngsOldGuy said:

Hi I wonder If LTT want to continue budget pc gaming series. And use android x86, prime os, or lineage os as os and play some gaming there

not to defame anyone but...

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

not to defame anyone but...

I Said using Android x86, Android x86, Android x86... Not some windows peasant. All hail android master race. T_T

Hello,

Thanks to your video below, I have been using my water cooling setup (similar to your setup except the radiator at the middle) for 5 years now, It is great and silence. Been upgrading the components but never the cooling parts. However this thing is a big f*** wardrobe. So i was thinking what if i could made some sort of briefcase from metal of wood containing all the radiators, fan, pump etc. and reduce the size of the case. Connecting briefcase and case with quick release connectors. Leaving computer case as small as possible with no moving or noise making parts. In the future, I'm thinking maybe I can add another briefcase to the setup or another PC which would be easy cause of the quick release connectors. Kind a like Alphacool Eiswand.

So with the new toys you have, maybe you would come up with something more practical and easy to move setup. Plan is to make a setup easy to clean, flexible, easy to upgrade and of course quiet.

Alphacool quick release connector

https://www.alphacool.com/shop/fittings/quick-release-connectors/19528/alphacool-eiszapfen-quick-release-connector-kit-g1/4-inner-thread-deep-black

Alphacool Eiswand

ttps://www.alphacool.com/eiswand

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-16 at 12.52.18.jpeg

Hello !

I'm a french Game Dev coming to Vancouver on 30th, for the next 5 years. I discovered your channel couple month ago and i love it !

I will immigrate with the only recent piece of my computer, my brand new Inno3d :INNO3D 2070 Super iChill Black

I bought this card in anger : My previous gtx 980 ti had an condensator (useless one ) death which disabled my workstation ( i was full open loop) and i planned to transport by airplane lugguage my full tower : I wanted to avoid PCI express destruction.

After second thoughts, i will take this graphic card in my lugguages :This imply that my graphic card will be free for probably 2 weeks, with complete package.

I always had very good surprise with less known builders, both in card itself and RMA : From Palit 8800 Gt to this inno3d. but obviously, its something you hesitate to do !

it might be interesting for other user to know what worth both Inno3d and its iChill black AIO systems :

I think i made a good deal, since i paid 917 $CAD for this, while the cheaper 2070 super on same shop is 797$CAD.

I didn't had time to bench it yet, but it seems pretty good in terms of temps and run over 2 ghz ingame consistenly, with default settings / bios.

Also, memory seems to sustain easily 8ghz. Finally, it's the biggest package i ever seen for a graphic card ^^.

LD0005386922_2.jpg.bf8aeb36a66fbd62612cb3a391c39794.jpg

Finally, I stil have my EK watercooled GTX 980 ti windforce, with an useless condensator dead : so if you wish to make a easy repair video : i could bring it to you : my pleasure ! I found a video of a guy which explain vaguely the (easy) process : I wish i would have find out this before !

DIY GTX 980 ti repair

Hope you gonna pick this !

video idea? try PC water cooling using the under floor pipes usually used for in-floor heating, preferablly in a concrete floor.Theory being the floor will be able to absorbe so much heat you wont need a radiator, plus if concrete at floor level it will likely be way cooler than ambiant temps.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

23 hours ago, WereCatf said:

It's a heat-pipe, not "super conducting metal". Besides, heat-pipes have been in use for a long time now, they're nothing new.

its not just a normal copper heat pipe

Hook a water cooling loop up to a toilet. The kitchen sink definitely proved the greatest home appliance water cooler, but what if fresh water was periodically introduced to the loop through flushing instead of a constant stream? The biggest issue in water cooling is running your liquid through a large enough loop/radiator to expose it to enough cool air so that by the time it hits the hot areas again, it has fully dissipated the heat. With 4+ liters of tank at your disposal and occasional total purges of all the water in your loop, your system should be the coolest PC outside of sub zero units. 

Since toilet flushes can use over 12 liters of water on more inefficient systems, this can be a huge loop that starts at the wall of a bathroom and ends with a pipe in the tank so your toilet still functions properly. Quad SLI GPU water cooling is theoretically possible given the sheer thermal mass of this setup.

System starting to approach throttling temperatures? Flush all the heat away and hit those blocks with fast moving, cool water to instantly drop temps and get more boost.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

I'd love for you guys to do another F@H or Boinc video again! Whether its doing the latest and greatest hardware to see its performance for it, doing a most efficient price to performance on doing such calculations, or really anything! Its been awhile since you've done a video on it, so maybe some fresh awareness would be good!

Moist

Try to MOD a VR headset? get a phone screen with higher rez and Hz in there

Basically for data storage setup. I wonder how bandwidth is shared between them. Imagine 32 drives paired into RAID0 :D 550MB/s x32 is 17.600 MB/s. Or 17,6 GB/s. And if it's 2TB each, that's 64TB of total storage. Or if it's 4TB SSD, that's 128TB of storage. OMG :D

How about picking up a couple of unassembled Heathkits from Ebay and putting them together?

Heathkits were the best tech enthusiast items of the post WW II era. You could buy a kit to make electronic test instruments, like a homemade oscilloscope, vacuum tube tester, etc. Or high end HiFi stereo equipment, Ham radios, or TVs. Plus early computers.

Just make sure you brush up your soldering iron skills first.

A reboot of the all rgb PC guide, could be easy especially since the huge expansion in aura sync compatible stuff (although the all rog pc prob could've been that) and rgb power supplys, maybe even an all rgb setup. Also. cheapest 1440p/144hz monitors?

water cooling a 360 rad  that is watercolling a intel stock cooler that is cooling a i9

Thermoelectric Cooling video suggestion: Watercooling with peltier element sandwiched between two water loops. The first loop made up of Cpu block, Gpu block and / or northbridge - southbridge blocks that deliver heat to a block attached to the cold plate of the Peltier element. The second loop consists of a water block attched to the hot plate of the Peltier element and a radiator. Of course each loop has its own pump.