Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I really enjoyed your reviews of older and nostalgic hardware. I have this Slate PC I would send to you guys with the original box, charger, manual and cd.20190830_184620.thumb.jpg.c3ceda724a79cb7d2e275be42beac8d0.jpg20190830_184610.thumb.jpg.9b3a6022c5575d7e51b6d6d30309a081.jpg

This is an audience from China. Tht vedio of Pi-hole just uploaded on bilibili.com. So my friend and I think could you guys put a water cooling system on RaspberryPi?

On 8/26/2019 at 3:08 PM, Radium_Angel said:

What is the *oldest* PC you can get online.

(Someone did it with an original Mac IIc [IIRC] which was quite the task)

I kind of like this idea, as I was able to use my Win95 system to watch YouTube videos up to about 2009, and I could still render a lot of websites using SeaMonkey, too. People have this funny idea that old computers somehow magically self destruct or stop being able to do things that haven't changed since they were built, like use DHCP or play MP3 files.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:08 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Or alternately, set up a WinNT 4.0 box, and expose it to the net, without benefit of a firewall or AV, see if all those old exploits are still in the wild...

This one is another interesting idea, as one argument about old OSs is that they are instantly compromisable by exploits, since they no longer receive security updates. Virtually nobody targets older OSs, because so extremely few use them. However, the old Code Red worm was still banging up against my firewall on occasion more than 5 years after it was deployed.

A review of the mi 9t(redmi k20) and the mi 9t pro(redmi k20 pro). 

They can do something like what they did with the pocophone since both of them already have such good custom rom support plus both their screens can be overclocked to 75hz(or 84hz), I don't remember exactly, this would essentially make the k20 pro a one plus 7 pro, since both of their primary cameras too are the same.

Best setup for GPU accelerated render like Octane, and multiple GPU setup. If you still have the PLX riser, you could re-use it for this one since Octane really loves as much GPUs as possible

So you've got a handful of videos that could somewhat for under a "mythbusting" type of series (cable management & cooling, thermal paste application, and even monitor refresh rate making someone better in gaming.

But that aside:

I really want to see a video getting to the bottom of this whole "Don't use third party docks or chargers for the Switch!!"

For as big of an issue the internet makes it out to be, I don't quite buy it; people have only advised against it because a few cheap hardware brands killed a handful of Switches. I've used whatever phone and USB Type-C charger I have laying around(LG, Samsung, and Motorola) and even those little USB ports on fairly cheap power strips. I've also used my Best Buy Insignia dock many many times, especially traveling, and still no issues on my Switch.

So what really is the deal? The only bad reviews I see online are people saying it *might* kill a Switch even though there are no reports of it killing a Switch. For the record, I also have a launch Switch, so no hardware revision for me. I'd like to see someone really get to the bottom of things. Wulffden and Spawn Wave have a good start in research, but LTT probably has a bigger budget to really figure this out.

Can you cool a pc by driving?

Basically have an aio on the gpu and cpu(or tall air coolers) and stick them out of the window(or mount to the car?) while driving to see how well the airflow cools them.

To take the idea further you could try running, biking, or standing in the wind.

I just heard that you guys are setting up a worshop and that's awesome!

I would love a video about it. Machining is a wonderful trade and there's so much cool stuff you can do when you have a home shop.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, L10 said:

I really want to see a video getting to the bottom of this whole "Don't use third party docks or chargers for the Switch!!"

One specific dock is implicated as the one that destroys Switch's 

But following up on this suggestion, how about "what actually works with USB-C docks?"

- Nintendo Switch dock -

Can I power a (new) Switch?

Can I power a usb-c tablet/phone, does the video and network get activated?

- Dell WD15/WD19DC usb-c dock -

Can I power a switch? Is there video output?

Can I power a non-Dell laptop that requires 65+ watts?

Can I power a usb-c tablet, does the video and network activate?

- Visiontek VT4000 (unpowered usb-c dock), VT4500 (powered) -

Can I power a switch? Is there video output?

Does it power anything at all? Does Displaylink work properly on any laptop?

- Bonus idea -

What happens when you plug a desktop with a usb-c port into any of these docks? You'd expect that it would work, but what happens to the GPU?

What happens if you plug a USB-C monitor into a switch?

Pick various usb-c docks, ones that advertise displaylink and ones that do not, because I'm pretty sure the experience will be different with them. Windows 1903 and 1807 behave differently with displaylink docks, in which under 1807, only software that is run while the laptop screen is open and set to the primary monitor will use the GPU. Under 1903 however, supposedly windows will always use the primary GPU, even on software-GPU's created by Displaylink or other USB adapters.

I would really appreciate a video about the current 2-in-1 market specifically. My trusty old XPS13 L321x has finally bitten the dust i and I am very attracted by convertibles like the HP X360 (Spectre or Envy) the XPS 13/15 2 in 1, Asus Flip and any other options I don't know about! Iam finding it hard to even find web articles that compare the options. 

Just another suggestion for Wyze security cameras, but not just the simple setup. A low cost Wyze RTSP setup. I think anyone looking into Wyze camera's will be looking for a budget build, trying to avoid the crazy fees you get from companies like Nest for video storage. I think cost.. wyze it will be far more useful than the rasp pi video. In LTT fashion you could even split it into a two parter.

Introduce Wyze Camera's and go through the setup. Discuss limitations of the free cloud storage for clips included.

Introduce RTSP and how to setup a larger scale security system with local storage, that you can access from anywhere.

Would be nice if you guys talk about Sky OC. It was Motherboard companies solution to overclocking on Non-K cpu's and as soon as Intel knew this they had to cut the support for this kind of overclocking. Though there are still Z170 boards you can use with these BIOS: https://play3r.net/news/overclock/overclocking-news/intel-non-k-processors-can-now-be-overclocked-on-z170-bios-files-inside/

It's still interesting how 6th gen CPU's can get up to 6 ghz with this simple BCLK oc, keep in mind this could be useful in a comparison with amd's low budget CPU's

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hey Colton,

Found this article that puts the Raspberry Pi a little more in line with what LTT is known for. Anthony or Alex would be great for this. Gaming on the Pi! "Will it game?!"

http://labs.domipheus.com/blog/raspberry-pi-4-pci-express-it-actually-works-usb-sata-gpu/

I would like more raspberry pi videos ie how to make a vpn or retro pi etc

A update to the arcade box

more Linux or opensource software

scrapyard wars

behind the seans

best cheap hardware

I would like to see a video on sound for gaming.  I hear a lot that onboard sound has become so much better that a sound card isn’t necessary any more, and I know LTT did a video on that, but I’m building a new x570 high end system and really digging into sound atm, and the option’s kind of suck frankly. I’d like to see a video on the other options.  

It’s mostly fine if you go with headphones and a USB DAC/AMP, but then it gets more complicated if you want to equalize your headphones with that setup.  MiniDSP has some options, ok one option really, unless you go away from USB, but then your back on onboard sound, or spdif optical, which I’ve read can have issues with jitter, so USB external is supposed to be superior.

Things get really interesting when you get into surround sound setups though.  You can use the 7.1 onboard analog connections, but you cannot use the spdif port because for some reason non of them support adat, only pcm stereo.  There are a couple 5.1 and 7.1 external sound cards, I don’t know if they are any better.

There are a few newer technologies for surround sound that new games are supporting which I’d really like, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X which seam to just be codex for Windows Sonic, which as far as I can tell isn’t available without using Atmos or DTS-X (except for headphone virtual surround), and both can only be transmitted over HDMI to a home theater receiver that implements them, which is cool except then HDMI won’t send audio without also sending video along for the ride, so if you can run your monitor through the receiver does it add lag, what resolution and refresh rates can be used, probably not anything ultra, or super ultra wide, and definitely not anything above 4k like LG’s 5k2k, or 5k monitors.  You could setup a fake display maybe, but how janky is that?  Can you hook up a tv as a second monitor and still have sound when it’s not on?

You can get a pro audio interface with lots of outputs, and a multizone amplifier with lots of channels fairly cheap, but can you actually get surround sound out of that? Can you get more than 7.1?

It seams like pc audio really hasn’t come very far at all, in fact it might be dying. The go to choice back in the day was a Logitech surround package that was reasonably price and reasonably decent, but it looks like the same exact kits haven’t changed, we’ll actually they’ve dropped quite a few from the lineup, and creative, well I’ll never buy another creative product again, but that’s not the point, they haven’t brought anything new to the table either.  

Why do motherboards still have the same exact analog setup that they’ve always had, well actually minus the coax which seams to have disappeared?

I want to see a video on the options and which one actually work, are worth it, and why pc audio for gaming hasn’t advanced.

I have an idea for a video that will be interesting and helpful for all low-end/mid-range gamers.

4K monitors are much more affordable than 4K gaming but gaming in resolutions lower than native sucks big time - image is blurry, it hurts your eyes and causes headaches.

But lately nVidia added integer scaling to it's drivers (Turing only I'm afraid) so maybe it will greatly improve 1080p to 4K scaling situation and without blurriness it will provide quite decent experience? Maybe even better than DLSS because without any learning?

If so you could enjoy sharp image in web browser and programs and still gaming at high refresh rates.

Plus since Intel announce it's upcoming discrete and integrated GPU will support integer scaling it could be quite big thing in the nearest future.

You should try cooling your CPU with ammonium chloride and barium hydroxide using the endothermic reaction:)

Phase change cooling already exists which gets lower temperatures and doesn't require finite ammounts of material to be continuously purchased.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Scrapyard wars but the winning parameter is performance per temperature. You could divide all the benchmark scores by the average temp of cpu and gpu.

Gamers Nexus Steve as a judge would be great, but that's a lot to ask

Try out HDPLEX power supplies.

I was browsing r/sffpc and I noticed a lot of people have HDPLEX power supplies. I looked them up and they're extremely tiny and somehow provide decent amounts of power.

This is a 400W AC-DC:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-400w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

And a 400W DC-ATX:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

The two combined are about 650ml. There's a 800W combo which is 475ml which needs two 400W AC-DC (which would bring it up to about 800ml).

For comparison, a SFX power supply is 800ml, a SFX-L power supply is 1.1L, and an ATX powersupply is 2L.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Try out HDPLEX power supplies.

I was browsing r/sffpc and I noticed a lot of people have HDPLEX power supplies. I looked them up and they're extremely tiny and somehow provide decent amounts of power.

This is a 400W AC-DC:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-400w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

And a 400W DC-ATX:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

The two combined are about 650ml. There's a 800W combo which is 475ml which needs two 400W AC-DC (which would bring it up to about 800ml).

For comparison, a SFX power supply is 800ml, a SFX-L power supply is 1.1L, and an ATX powersupply is 2L.

Also, tons of people put the AC-DC outside of the case. This would shrink the space significantly

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Variable Rate Shading (VRS)

I would be very interested in a video on this and how it will impact the future of gaming. 3DMark recently added a test for this feature and support is being added for some games (e.g. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus). When I tested in 3DMark I saw a 53% improvement in FPS. Exciting stuff!