Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Go the other direction.

What is the *oldest* PC you can get online.

(Someone did it with an original Mac IIc [IIRC] which was quite the task)

Or alternately, set up a WinNT 4.0 box, and expose it to the net, without benefit of a firewall or AV, see if all those old exploits are still in the wild...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 hours ago, WhatsaCPU said:

Did you guys know there is a smartphone with ACTIVE fan cooling?  It's called the Red Magic 3.  It's made by Nubia.  I was wondering if you wanted to review it because it's the only actively cooled smartphone.

Wow, that's actually really cool. I would love to see a LTT review of that thing!

This one has already been mentioned in this thread back in May, but I'll bring it up again: LTT should really have a look at the Samsung crg9 / crg90 / C49RG90/ LC49RG90SSNXZA. (It's like, not even Samsung are quite sure what they want to call the thing.)

Apparently, the US launch has been extremely slow compared to the rest of the world, and reviews are only FINALLY starting to trickle in, but there's still just not much coverage out there.

This is the kind of review that's right in the LTT wheelhouse - there have already been a couple super-ultra-wide reviews, and the crg9 brings the whole category of monitors forward in a really good way. And, for the features included, the price is actually pretty good. 

The I own one and am very happy with it, it has some big downside, too - in particular, a zone dimming scheme that was basically just mailed in.

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

Idea 1

How low can you go?

With sub $100 CPUs having moderately decent integrated graphics now, how little can you actually spend on brand new components to build a little e-sports machine that can game at 720p or even a bit of 1080?

Eventually you get yourself down to 30-40fps at low settings in 720p and we watch Linus die a little inside

Idea 2

The most wasteful PC

In the exact opposite vein, get all brand new parts that are the worst performers in their price category

Idea 3

ULTIMATE MINECRAFT PC

Just tossing multiple 2080tis in to a dual or even quad CPU server board for max render distance on all the highest settings with that beautiful RTX.

Idea 4

Was Bulldozer really that bad? (hint: yes, yes it was)

There is a distinct lack of Bulldozer architecture CPUs featured on your channel. Show the younglings what team red had to deal with pre-Ryzen

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

I'd like to see a video explaining why with Intel and nVidia on 12/14nm process, and AMD on 7nm process, why is AMD not destroying the competition on both sides?

Supposedly 7nm should use less power and create less heat, yet AMD still cannot compete at the top end with nVidia.

Whats the full story?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X · Cooler: Heatkiller IV Pure Copper · Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi · RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 3800MHz CL14 · Graphics Card: AMD HD6970 (RIP RTX3090) waiting for 3090Ti to replace ·Boot Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drives: Samsung 960 EVO 512GB SATA SSD + TeamGroup 512GB M.2 NVME SSD · PSU: Seasonic GX1300 80+ Modular Gold · Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White · Monitor: BenQ 32" 4k @ 60Hz, 2560*1600 @ 120Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB · Mouse: Corsair K55 RGB · Cooling: 5*120mm Wide Radiators, D5 Pump, 14 Fans.

I made a thread over in General Discussion before I realized this thread exists. I don't lurk here often, so I just forgot. Sorry :(

[ LTT Forum: linustechtips.com/main/topic/1098796-louis-rossmann-is-moving-to-a-new-space-video-idea/ ]

Edited by MegamanXGold
The include appears blank after posting, added the URL

20 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

Idea 1

How low can you go?

With sub $100 CPUs having moderately decent integrated graphics now, how little can you actually spend on brand new components to build a little e-sports machine that can game at 720p or even a bit of 1080?

Eventually you get yourself down to 30-40fps at low settings in 720p and we watch Linus die a little inside

Not sure how interesting the idea would be as most likely the answer would be like an athlon 200GE like in their "Cheap vs. Expensive Gaming!?". At least this is how I see it

DaVinci Resolve 14 works really well on Linux:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-14-Performance-Windows-vs-Linux-1126/

That is using CentOS 7, which tends to be slow. There might be a boost from going to CentOS 8 or using another distribution.

It seems that people have Adobe Premiere 2014 working on Linux with GPU acceleration:

I assume that they are using wine staging to do that, but it means that theoretically, Linus Tech Tips could try doing video editing on Linux if they still use Premiere.

47 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Not sure how interesting the idea would be as most likely the answer would be like an athlon 200GE like in their "Cheap vs. Expensive Gaming!?". At least this is how I see it

TFW my new work computer will be running an Athlon 200GE

Arguably it isn't the most exciting video, but seeing where APUs can come and save the day over a GPU for both team red and blue while watching Linus slowly die inside on camera as the resolution and frames keep dropping is always fun.

Then they start picking up last gen's processor's off Newegg/Amazon for even less and slowly devolve in to playing Battle Realms or Age of Mythology.

Honestly I just enjoy watching Linus slowly lose his mind over terrible performance.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

I really liked the video where they attempted to do a 12km Wi-fi and i would really love to see how long can they possibly succesfully do it!

More server and networking videos

Bowers and Wilkins UK factory tour

Ubiquiti UniFi cameras

My Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming (for gamers)

RAM: 4x16 GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060 Super OC

SSDs: Samsung 980 Pro (1TB), 870 Evo (1 TB), 860 Evo (1 TB), 860 Evo (500 GB)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Compute (8 TB)

PSU: Corsair RMx 1000W w/ CableMod cables

Case: Corsair SPEC-06 RGB

Monitors: LG 34GL750-B, Samsung CF591

Pegasus (Server):

CPU: AMD EPYC Rome 7282

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3

Motherboard: SuperMicro H12SSL-CT

RAM: 4x16 GB Samsung 3200 MHz DDR4 ECC (M393A2K40DB3-CWE)

GPU: PNY NVIDIA Quadro P2200

SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo (1 TB), WD Red SA500 (1 TB), SanDisk Ultra 3D (500 GB)

HDDs: 5x Seagate IronWolf NAS 8TB

HBA:  Avago LSI 9211-8i

PSU: Athena Power AP-RRPS2K20

Chassis: Rosewill RSV-L4500

Chassis Fans: 6x Noctua F12 PWM, 2x Noctua A8 PWM

Linus please review Asus ROG phone 2. This is by far the best phone I have seen from the specs alone. Flagship phone for 515$ (Aliexpress) with very little compromises.

-6000 mAh battery.

-120 hz display 

-Amoled display

-Speakers that are exceptional (2 front firing speakers)

-Snapdragon 855+ (Overclockable by gripping 3 secs)

-48 Mp camera

-Air Triggers (actually useful)

-No notches

-accessory support is mind blowing. It makes this phone look like a switch (with a dock and controller like design)

Honestly this is the best phone for being around 500 dollars.

Just watched a video about something called areogel wondering if it could at all be an effective thermal paste replacement?

All the Linus Tech Tips fans like wacky weird builds, like: ''Scrapyard Wars'' or ''The WEIRDEST PC Parts we Found on AliExpress''. I myself, also love those kind of video's. I'm not writing this email to tell you guys that you should start a new episode of SW, I have an original new idea.

The idea is: make a ''full aliexpress build''. The case, thermal paste, the PSU, GPU, CPU, cooling, front fans, back fans, SSD's, HDD... Whatever the parts are, buy everything from AliExpress. Write down all the costs of the entire build.

Then: Try to make the exact same PC with parts from a wholesale. So Newegg or Amazon or whatever (I'm from Europe so I don't really know the stores). Write down all the costs of the reputable pc parts seller.

Then after that, see wich one was the cheapest, but also run some benchmarks on both of the 'kinda' exactly the same builds and see if you get any performance degradation from Aliexpress (because of a bad SSD or just because you bought very wacky GPU's from the website). Show this in a diagram with performance per dollar etc. etc.

This should be a fun video because the weird shit from AliExpress always are the best kind of video's. So kinda try to buy some weird GPU like an offbrand asian style RTX 2060 or something, and compare all the benchmarks with the hardware from a reputable dealer. Overclocking etc could be possible but you guys are the best at making video's, this is just a basic idea, of course you understand that you could use the basis of this idea and give your own twist to it.

A shout out would be cool, but not necessary. The video itself would be a delight for me to watch!

Thanks, DashDaze

@GabenJr goes around switching everyone to a different distro after hours in a "pimp my ride" style video.

Hilarity ensues when everyone used to Windows has a Manjaro, Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, Puppy, etc desktop the next day.

Then Anthony can take his time waxing poetic about the different distros and why he chose them

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

this may be more for just my personal enjoyment but i think some would also like to see this happen,So I was thinking it would be great to have a benchmark done with 1 AMD 3900x with cas 14 3600 ram (g.skill has them) and a 5700XT on an X570 mobo etc.against say intels 9700k or even 9900k with similar ram and say a RTX 2080 and maybe even a 2080 super.....because when i go to see a review for a 5700XT they always use the same test bench an intel based machine on Z390,you never see a review for a 2080 on an AMD machine let alone the new ones,now i know it wont make a huge difference that one machine is on pcie 4.0 and 1 is on 3.0 but still it would be nice to see tests done on the equipment there designed for.

"you would'nt test shiny new sunglasses on a half blind person"....well maybe wrong analogy but you get what im saying. Just a request,just a suggestion please dont degrade me for it thanks.

Do a video of gaming on Mac OS X to show us what it is like.

Emailed about this but, any chance of a review on Universal Remotes? 

I know that a lot of cheap brands exist so, how about some mid-range to high-end ones?

Can we use them with our PCs? How diverse are they? Touchscreen, amount of devices that can be programmed at one time? Pros? Cons?

I'm hoping for a crash course on these devices that are seemingly forgotten, but have also advanced along side our peripherals and appliances. 

Show us what's out there!

Hey Linus Media Group,

I've been following your channel for a while now and really enjoy your content. I am a gaming enthusiast/engineering student from Germany and am looking to upgrade from my now 4 year old Alienware 17R2 to a proper Desktop PC. 
Now, since I am not only going to be gaming on this machine, but rather be working with CAD Software, Video Editing, Music Software and various compilers as well, I was hoping that you could maybe make a video about the best of both worlds, so to speak.
You have a lot of videos out for workstations or gaming rigs but I have struggled to find a video (especially a recent one) on the perfect balance of gaming power and multitasking brilliance. 
With the new Ryzen and Nvidia GPU's out, I think this would be a perfect time to upgrade and I would really appreciate it if you guys could assist, or even make a proper video about this topic.
My budget range will be around 1500-1800 Euro.

Keep up the great content and thanks in advance

Julian C. from Germany

10 minutes ago, Germie said:

Hey Linus Media Group,

I've been following your channel for a while now and really enjoy your content. I am a gaming enthusiast/engineering student from Germany and am looking to upgrade from my now 4 year old Alienware 17R2 to a proper Desktop PC. 
Now, since I am not only going to be gaming on this machine, but rather be working with CAD Software, Video Editing, Music Software and various compilers as well, I was hoping that you could maybe make a video about the best of both worlds, so to speak.
You have a lot of videos out for workstations or gaming rigs but I have struggled to find a video (especially a recent one) on the perfect balance of gaming power and multitasking brilliance. 
With the new Ryzen and Nvidia GPU's out, I think this would be a perfect time to upgrade and I would really appreciate it if you guys could assist, or even make a proper video about this topic.
My budget range will be around 1500-1800 Euro.

Keep up the great content and thanks in advance

Julian C. from Germany

First off welcome to the community!

The forums here at LTT are full with knowledgeable people that can help you out quicker than a Linus video (the topic is great though the video could take a year to get to the front of the pipeline).

Have you thought about making a post in the New Builds and Planning subforum?

You can get some good suggestions and help there :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

How about building a sleeper pc in a commodore 64 case with the built in keyboard that functions