Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Linus Tech Team,

I am an avid watcher of your videos and an IT server administrator I work lots of hours.  I am currently running a HP ML110 G6 Server with about 20 Terabytes of content, storage is my biggest issues its not redundant at all and I could use a lot more.  My network is a linksys wrt 1900 wireless router. I am using to run my Plex server that I share with some friends and family. I have been working so much I have not been able to update my network or server infrastructure. 

I am in need of an update and have been looking for a while. I was thinking about getting a synology NAS a different server.  But then I was watching a few of your videos, Petabyte project, and several others where you end up using large data storage cases and beefy processors for video editing and a few where you helped a fellow youtubers with their external storage/video editing machine. 

I happened to notice that in one or two of the video's I saw you are a Plex user or if when you get to this you find something you like better or in addition to Plex that could be cool too.  I was wondering if you could do a video on the ultimate Plex server and possibly break it out in several different tiers; 

1. the entry level Plex server
2. the moderately priced Plex Server
3. the basic 4k Plex server
4. the ultimate 4k media whore Plex server.

And if your not interested in the video, maybe let me know on your thoughts for building the Plex server and network equipment.  I would be grateful, and if you sell it would be interested in buying it. 

Silverstone LD03 Lucid Mod 
Take the bottom panel off (with the 120mm fan mount) and put it on there CNC table to extend the opening for a 200mm bottom intake fan
(because silverstone give a filter that's oversized for a 120mm fan)

Would like to see LTT mod a Z170 board to accept a Coffeelake CPU. It's doable with a microcode BIOS/UEFI mod and pencil mod on the processor. It's totally up @AlexTheGreatish 's and/or @GabenJr 's alley (leaning toward Anthony territory).

When this was originally discovered, it didn't work well with peripherals nor HT, but we're at the point now where there's pretty much full functionality with folks getting i9-9900K's going on Z170 boards. Some resources: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/175489-asrock-z170-mocf-lives-on-coffee-lake-mods/

A gmod tournament with Linus, Dennis and anyone else from the media group that would like to participate. Hosted by me.

Alright so like others I have noticed that your videos along with the larger tech industry does not have a great representation from women and other minorities. I was thinking you could make a video where you try to get more young girls interested in technology.  

what about a 6 workstations 1 cpu hackintosh

i would realy like to see 6 kick ass mac pro for 30 000$. it would realy demonstrate the over pricing of apple.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Imagine building a bunch of gaming pcs, one really high end and a bunch of cheap one that cost as much as the finance pricing for each part combined

Recently, a new Raspberry Pi 4 has been released, and its creators claim that its performance is now comparable to low-end PC. I think it would be great if you could test this claim :) You could try to overclock it to the highest possible value, use appropriate cooling solution (heat sink + fan or maybe something more creative), maybe install a 64-bit OS instead of 32-bit Raspbian and the  benchmark it against a PC on Celeron / Pentium / maybe even mobile Core i3, using cross-platform benchmarks (like 7-Zip).

I've been scratching my head on how i get my old consoles (PS1+PS2+PS3+Xbox Classic) into a case of some sort. <- This would be very entertaing to see how you would solve a problem like this.. Almost like a 4-in-1 solution.

Push AMD to the max.
X570 mobo
pcie 4.0 m.2 NVME 

Fastest ram the cpu will support.
3900X overclocked

Do the LC block 5700XT (Or even better do the same to a Radeon VII. Honestly considered doing the custom LC block to my VII and i'm curious to see a better install video than Jaytwocentz did, his felt somewhat skimpy in places)

Run it through the gauntlet at 4k. 

Now that i'd like to see considering the videos about getting the 5700 xt to 2.2 ghz. Those of us building AMD these days are getting bored waiting for better drivers, 5700xt AIBs, and this "ngreedia slayer gpu"we keep getting promised. 

I'd like to see a study on a variation of silent cooling where an oversized rad is used to cool everything we can, cpu, gpu, and whatever else. With an oversize rad like a 480 or 540, loaded with fans running at idle speed, pulling a little air out of the case to air cool everything without a water block, can we achieve a silent pc?

Based on the great videos using Unraid, I have decided to combine my gaming rig and my home server. I would love to see a video using Unraid, a 1 TB NVME drive, a 3900X and an Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming X (for the dual nics on board, primarily.) I have already purchased a Corsair 750D airflow based on the LTT review. (Oldie but still solid imo)

Doesn't necessarily need to be those part, they're just the ones I am buying a piece at a time.

I would love to see A.) difficulty of setup B.) recommendations on parts C.) performance of each VM D.) thoughts from Anthony on optimizations.

I would think with the high core count CPUS falling down to acceptable prices, rigs like this would start becoming more common.

Thanks!

Can you do a 2019 buying guide for server motherboard and chassis configurations everything ive found for a couple of projects seems like its 10+ years old just wondering if there is anything modern for diy

I was thinking of a water cooling idea to try some time back in my younger days we would be out in the bush with no way to cool our beer and one time i happened to have a bag of nitrogen based fertiliser if mixed with water it gets very cold the higher the nitrogen the colder it will get any way figured if you where looking to do a vid on strange cooling this may be the go thanks Brocky

Water cooling a modded original xbox (an actual original xbox not a pc inside a original xbox case) what would you use to make it work? I would like to water cool mine one day. :)

I've got something for review. After spending most of my life wasting hour upon hour of juggling windows around, finding files, remembering shortcuts and generally wading through the slow navigation of the WIndows operating system, I wrote a tool to speed it all up. It a kind of radial menu that has all your stuff right where you need it and when you need it. It does shortcuts for programs too along with a host of other little utilities. Arriving on Steam shortly.. Here is the link:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038000/Makross/

I can send some STeam keys for review in its current state. It's due for release at the end of next week..

Cheers

SImon

MainLogo03.png

My suggestion for a video is one like the amazon basics video series but for filming/photography/streaming equipment. These might be separate video ideas (one for streaming stuff and one for video/photography equipment) or they could be combined into one since amazon does not have a very deep catalog of video equipment. It does not have to be limited to just the AmazonBasics brand since there are a ton of brands (Neewer, Selens, ePhoto, Etc), that make generic photo/video equipment. Maybe Brandon could finally come back in a video?

Examples:

Light Stand: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Aluminum-7-Foot-Light-Stand/dp/B074VMTP68/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=light+stand&qid=1566782091&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Multi Disc Reflector: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-43-Inch-Collapsible-Multi-Disc-Reflector/dp/B078HH3Z92

Knock off Pelican case: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hard-Camera-Case-Small/dp/B01L0LVDJO

Tripod: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-63-Inch-Lightweight-Aluminum-Monopod/dp/B01MQIAG21

Softbox for product shots: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Foldable-Photo-Studio/dp/B01GIL6EU4/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=amazon+basics+light&qid=1566782323&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Desktop Microphone (less video prod. more streaming): https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Professional-USB-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B076ZXYG17/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=amazon+basics+microphone&qid=1566782366&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Did you guys know there is a smartphone with ACTIVE fan cooling?  It's called the Red Magic 3.  It's made by Nubia.  I was wondering if you wanted to review it because it's the only actively cooled smartphone.

With the LTT Official Folding Month coming up (this is my first year participating in something like this) I have started to compile a few of my older systems to start folding. In this, I am working on a multi-GPU system with some older cards I have around. This got me thinking of a video for LTT!

In the video when LTT had the "13 GPUs in ONE PC?" video, there was a Asus B250 Mining Expert motherboard used and multiple GPUs were used for mining. It would be interesting to see how many PPD a 'old' miner system could do for a good cause - Folding@Home. 

In LTT style I would expect Titans, 2080s and 1080s in a single system. Obviously it would not have to stay running outside of the video but it would be interesting to see two situations. 1) use a older base system with some older GPUs that may just be sitting around gathering dust to Fold@Home and then 2) In LTT style: throw the best available hardware together to make one crazy 19 GPU folding piece of hardware - Just because. 

Not only would this video be pretty cool to see how much computing power would be produced, but also make more people aware of the LTT Folding@Home team. Its all for a good cause!

50 minutes ago, ShalokShalom said:

Couple years back when I bought a LG 29UM68-P I did really like 29inch 2560x1080p monitors and thought they were worthy options at the time thanks to the much lower prices.

Being a good IPS panel with 75hz and FreeSync it certainly had an appeal and I always considered an awful shame that there were never a 144hz variant, being 2560x1080p144hz monitors all 34inch where the pixelation is just god awful to make sense.

If it was still back then I'd consider this monitor everything I wanted to see but things changed since and honestly it's poor value and makes no sense when this exists:

https://www.amazon.com/Viotek-GN34CW-34-Inch-Ultrawide-Professional/dp/B07HZ499J4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=VIOTEK+GN34C&amp;qid=1566841392&amp;s=electronics&amp;sr=1-3

Superior 34inch featuring Samsung's latest VA panel at 3440x1440p100hz Freesync... knowing how there is a much greater difference from 60hz to 100hz than there is 100hz to 144hz and we're only talking about 100 dollars difference I really think Viotek is the one who aced value here.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

35 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Superior 34inch featuring Samsung's latest VA panel at 3440x1440p100hz Freesync... knowing how there is a much greater difference from 60hz to 100hz than there is 100hz to 144hz and we're only talking about 100 dollars difference I really think Viotek is the one who aced value here.

I would rather use this one, stay at the price, gain some resolution and step back a few inches.  ?

Thanks that you made me aware of those. Still think Sceptre has cool monitors in stock, like this one.