Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

LTT,

would like to see see an episode about wither or not combing gpu and cpu into one loop is more efficient then having two separate loops.

Sknaht

42F6BD58-17B9-4919-8880-CF71D764921E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, TClark said:

LTT,

would like to see see an episode about wither or not combing gpu and cpu into one loop is more efficient then having two separate loops.

Sknaht

Well it obviously wouldn't be very cost/space efficient ;)9_9 (as you would need an extra pump, reservoir and possibly radiator).

JayzTwoCents has made a video on loop order though:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Also: there is an entire thread dedicated to new LTT video ideas, I'll link it if I can find it

Edited by myselfolli
Added link

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Christ that’s a monstrosity 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I was at Walmart today, and saw an Onn 50 inch 4k tv for under $250

Basically what I'm saying is.. ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5UrtwW-zJs

Video Suggestion - I pre ordered Cyberpunk 2077 which is going probably be the largest space-wise open world RPG that has ever come out especially after DLC I have a PCI express plugin for my windows 10 tower that adds 2 slots for the type of storage chip mentioned in the video I linked in this post, I don't have the actual storage to go in the slot yet, but I was hoping to get a video giving instructions for installing this setting it up to run best with steam and maybe additional things I could add to the setup that would make it work best for Cyberpunk 2077. thanks, - h3video1

11 minutes ago, h3video1 said:

I don't understand your question.

But just slap a 500GB SSD in your system and you'll be fine. Doesn't even have to be NVME.

What motherboard/CPU do you have?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I thought of a better way to use that monster 500W Peltier cooler in a liquid cooling loop. Put a CPU water block on either side, then run the pipes so that the peltier chills the water going to the CPU and the hot side of the peltier is cooled by the water coming out of the CPU. This creates a zone of cold water for the CPU and conveniently deals with the hot side of the peltier with the existing radiator. You might need to use a 480mm radiator for this, but it should give you way better temps than trying to use the peltier directly on the CPU.

How about a video tearing down PSUs and explaining the pros and cons of expensive vs cheap PSUs and exactly why you don't want to skimp on a PSU. 

Maybe talk about the 80 plus ratings and how they affect things.

A lot of new builders struggle with understanding 80 plus, and I admit I'm not fully fluent in it. Also maybe a real analysis on what wattage you truly need depending on usage. Lots of new builders sometimes go too high with wattage because they think that's what they need. It's sometimes hard explaining why they don't need as high of wattage.

Maybe talk about offbrand PSUs and the kind you buy on those Chinese sites.

I think this might be entertaining and informative because Linus and the boys don't regularly talk about PSUs and I think it's an area where we need more education, and teardown videos usually get respectable views.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Hey linus 

can you make a video for budget pc with minumum requirements of  intel i7, intel ssd  and 16GB of RAM

Under $800 (USD)

Edited by mg7134

Build a PC in the Velka 3. It's ridiculously small. 3.7L; even smaller than the 5L build you did some time ago. It can fit dual-slot graphics cards.

A build that's fully compatible with the Velka 3:

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Review gaming motherboards made by an enterprise hardware ODM:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboards/desktop-gaming-boards

Supermicro is basically the #1 manufacturer of server equipment in terms of quality. It would be interesting to see their gaming lineup reviewed, even if it lacks ECC.

They seem to have given up because nobody in their target market seems to have noticed. The most recent motherboard that they made was for the 8th generation:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/C7Z370-CG-L

It still would be nice to see a review, if only because of how unusual it was for them to make these.

Hi LTT!

Can you make a pc that can successfully run the following:

Detonating a minecraft world made entirely of TNT.

The CLEANEST build ever.

CPU with a fanless heatsink 

GTX 1650 for the GPU

Fully modular PSU

Just the 24 pin mobo and EPS connectors will be plugged in

All housed in a Mini ITX case for maximum stealth

WIreless Keyboard and Mouse too to just really add to the whole experience

For extra brownie points you could probably power this whole thing with a solar panel hooked up to a UPS.

Also I want a supercut of Linus dropping/breaking things as the component cost just racks up on the side.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

8k on a raspberry pi. the pi4 can do 2 4k@30htz so is theoreticly possible right?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

What about lancachenet/monolithic on Openmediavault. The old steam cache method got updated to lancachenet and older versions are not supported anymore. Also I currently have a nas setup using OMV. For the last 5/6 days i have been wasting a lot of time trying to setup lancachenet on OMV but there is simply no tutorial on setting up steam cache using lancachenet on OMV. So this will be of great help to me and all those who have OMV but cant setup steamcache.

I have a small complaint about a recent decision to change the format of your videos.

LTT videos are fun, often silly, and generally interesting. They follow a format where we get a little intro, then there's the sponsor bit, then the jingle and logo, then the main content of the video and at the outro there's the sponsor recap and whatever other "housekeeping" needs to happen.

Lately, every video has a very jarring bit, 5-10 seconds, to insert a plug for the LTT store merch . . . and it's really annoying. It doesn't fit the formula and kills the pace of the video. It's also much less predictable and more annoying to skip than the other parts.

Please stop doing it. Just don't. It's so annoying. 

Related, I saw the animated finger click a "subscribe" bell. Whenever I try a new channel and they do that stuff, I block the channel. Please don't be like those channels. 

LTT has done a nice job over the years of encouraging engagement without being annoying. Please don't follow the trends. Keep doing what you've been doing.

That's all. Thanks!

On 3/21/2019 at 1:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

What if Linus was to build the ultimate PC with a very low budget and get it to run AAA games. The challange could include a low budget like $400-$600.

He could be asked to do it as a competition with one other staff member. 

Let's see what Linus can make if he is on a low budget!

Would you make a video explaining why none of AMD’s AIB partners have used their semi-custom silicon business to get better GPUs?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/semi-custom-solutions

They have all of these pseudo brands like gaming X or ROG, but they never do the one thing that would make them mean something by getting custom GPUs for them. It would be more risk, but they could for example get custom Navi GPUs that have more than twice the compute power at costs that are presumably just royalties and fabrication costs.

Maybe the ones doing both nvidia and AMD cards would not do that for fear of retaliation from Nvidia, but I do not see what AMD only brands like XFX stand to lose by doing it.

Driver support does not seem particularly difficult given that AMD seems to provide their semi-custom silicon customers with the sources for their drivers. Intel seems to be doing driver releases based on them:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/new-graphics-driver-for-intel-module-chips-arrives/

I imagine that that you guys would be in a position to talk to XFX and others to find out why they did not go this route. Is it just that they did not think about it?