Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Fastest CPU / configuration for a pure gaming FPS machine in a Dan A4 SFX case.

I think given the heat profile its unclear whether 8700k (delid), down powered 9900k, down powered 3900x or a 3700x would win given the limited cooling options.

(2080ti or titan rtx as obvious gpu choices.)

5 minutes ago, mambaa15 said:

Homeautomation with a raspberry pi, for example iobroker.

I've got a broken laser etcher from Banggood (turned up with wrong parts :( ), a real cheapo thingy... but has 2 stepper motors, controllers and an arduino... keep meaning to make an automated cat feeder out of it...

Linus Automated Cat Tips when?

On 3/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

As most tech people now know ransomware is a huge problem. However I don't understand how people are getting infected. Don't people have anti-virus? could you make a video showing how to get infected and how to prevent getting infected with ransomware? Explain what the problem is that is allowing computers to get totally taken over by ransomware.

It would be so awesome to see this and how to protect ourselves by correctly backing up in case that something like this were to happen.

Thank you for the awesome videos.

19 hours ago, TheHajii said:

Variable Rate Shading (VRS)

I would be very interested in a video on this and how it will impact the future of gaming. 3DMark recently added a test for this feature and support is being added for some games (e.g. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus). When I tested in 3DMark I saw a 53% improvement in FPS. Exciting stuff!

Hmmm. Seems a poor implementation. Rocket League shows this is already possible in Unreal Engine (render target resolution per object/scene/area). NVidias option seems worse, as it sets areas of the screen to blur/render less. Which might be ok in VR/car games/etc... where you don't need full res at the absolute edges of the screen, or the sky (all blue) or road under the car (blurred already :P ).

If it's not dynamic, it could really look too blurry for most of us. The example given like halved the pixel resolution, which for 4k down to 1080p is not too bad. But if already running at 1080p, then it would make things look worse.

Linustech guys please review MP600 1 Tb pcie 4 nvme drive from corsair, because corsair have a big problem whit it and not 1 tech youtuber address this problem. The problem is that if you have 45% and more data written on it drives speed drops to approx to 1000MB/s from 4200MB/s announced this speed is less then pcie3 even. Corsair not admitting this problem. People don't buy this drive or wait till they fix it [if they will fix it]. Read corsair forum about this problem https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=189618

My Internet speed        http://www.speedtest.net/result/3541918756.png

Dear LLT Crew,
Thanks for all your effort! Jumpint into topic, I noticed that there are no proper HDD benchmarks. You can find speed benchmarks for example on userbenchmark.com, however there are no noise tests, so people like me who bought X300 4Tb couple of years ago suffered due to insane clicking noises. According to benchmarks it was the winner in price/performance ratio, however the clicking noise was insane. So I suggest to make a full HDD comparison, comparing speeds and noise for 3.5" drives from 512Gb up to maximum capacity, 7200 and 5400rpm.

It sounds a lot of work but we would greatly appreciate the effort as there is nothing like this out there.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Someone has found a way to tap into the Pci-E capabilities of the Raspberry Pi 4 via the USB ports etc. 

Now we just need drivers. Sounds like an awesome video idea and a project for the forum. 

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/raspberry-pi-modder-explores-pcie-potential,news-61615.html

Hey guys,

I know that you have been doing less phone reviews. Thought maybe a review of Fairphone 3 might be nice. Think is drops in a month or so. 

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/?ref=header

You guys could do a budget home server setup for tasks such as file storage, media streaming etc. 

6 hours ago, Ticore said:

What about another Scrap yard wars with Anthony in-place of Luke?

That would be good! 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

- anyone on staff fix a problem (big or small) at home with some tech solution. May be more interesting the less techie the person is

- writers/hosts describe their worst "pucker moments" when they did, or thought they might have, broken/borked their tech. Roundtable discussion

- look at old water cooling "trends".  Vortex res, evaporative tower, higher flow pumps, heater cores... any "old" cooling fads really. Can any of it be done better with current tech? With the new tools could you recreate an original Storm water block? 

- look at writers/hosts personal setups as a competition? Points for aesthetics, mods, benchmarks, value/cost, etc

- more e-bikes, e-scooters

- DIY phase change?

- what used to be extreme or fringe and what happened to it?

- Linus/Anthony drop a box on (i.e) Jakes desk and he needs to build a 486 from the parts inside and install windows

- HTPC stuff. Do you go small and quiet in your entertainment center or remote/thin client to a more powerful PC for couch gaming. Elgato & thunderbolt vs thin client?

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Regarding the $100,000, six person machine, is there a piece of software in the stack which can only be running under one user in a shared windows install (Premiere used to be picky about that, iirc)?

If that's not an issue, all of the bizarre configuration could have been a lot less silly with MICROSOFT SERVER 2016 MULTIPOINT SERVICES!

What is MULTIPOINT SERVICES, I hear you asking? Its a configuration for windows server where you have a bunch of screens and a bunch of USB hubs, and after it boots, you bind the usb hubs to the screens (this binding is one-to-one, so no multi-screen setups, except for perhaps some USB video cards [not a supported configuration, I have no clue if that works or not]). Each screen is its own interactive desktop session. This machine could also just do the encoding server workloads too, because it's already a monster machine, and there's a lot less overhead with one giant pool of resources. As a bonus, any app which can use GPGPU acceleration across multiple GPUs will run at a silly speed, since you have all those titans in the build.

You know that it must be attempted!

When will you review the Fossil Smartwatches?

The Hybrid seems like the spiritual successor to the Pebble with its minimal features but long battery life and the others just look great with all the features included.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Is it possible to go super old PC build where nothing was standardized? Maybe even as far back as the 80s where it was all manual?

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

I would love to se a best portable workspace setup. I'm thinking of stuff like a laptop, laptop stand, portable keyboard and mouse. Really anything you can fit in a backpack and take to a library, setup and take down in a couple of minutes.

Hello Linus and team,

I am looking for a current report about NAS. Are you currently planning something or are you putting it on your agenda?

The plan is to buy a NAS to have the data available for all computers in a small home network (hence NAS). Additionally I would like to mirror some of the data to back it up (which software is recommended and what should be considered here?) and if possible set up a media server for the home movies. Currently I tend to use SSDs instead of HDDs. But data security, accessibility and easy handling are my main goals. Also is there a way to share browser bookmarks without putting it into the cloud?

I would be happy to hear from you and/or see a current video of you.

Thanks a lot.

best regards,
Kalle

Would be really cool to see a really maxed out mITX build with perhaps dual watercooled GPU, but in a really tiny enclosure. Think something like this.

Ncase M1 V3         Samsung Evo 850 2

Spoiler

50gb

Spoiler
Spoiler

2x8gb Corsair LPX 2400mhz

Msi z170i AC pro

Be quiet Shadow Rock LP                     Noctua NF-F12 x12 x3

Be Quiet Sile

nt Wings 3 x2

Corsair Commander Pro

Intel i7 6700k

Samsung Evo 960 256gb                 Corsair SF-450

Gigabyte 980 Ti Extreme Gaming w/ Arctic Accelero Extreme 3

Samsung Evo 850 500gb

Noctua Redux NF-B9 1

Hi i came up with interesting video idea. I was looking for some laptop related accesories on wish.com and i came across many laptops i think id would be cool and informative to create review on these chinese laptops. @LinusTech

Here is where you drop that said video suggestions.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Thanks im new to the forum so i didnt know where to put it

Hi i came up with interesting video idea. I was looking for some laptop related accesories on wish.com and i came across many laptops i think id would be cool and informative to create review on these chinese laptops. @LinusTech

Video idea:

What if your NAS has 4 bays but you want to add more hdd's than 4. One could buy a very expensive expansion solution (synology has those) but are there other possibilities like building your NAS inside a bigger case or rack? Would be fun to see if you can upgrade your NAS this way.