Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

There's a lot more to visuals than just the panel. Optics are extremely important.

Additionally, a very high resolution tends to be problematic for performance reasons. Even if you address that by lowering the render resolution, you're still paying more for those extra pixels.

Ultimately these alternative headsets don't really add anything to the market. Most people should either be getting a Rift S at the cheap end, or a Valve Index at the high end (or consider an Oculus Quest for mobile VR + upcoming ability to run off a PC). It's nice that alternatives exist, they're just not particularly interesting to review.

The prototypes Oculus showed off recently are very interesting, clearly the next generation will feature some major improvements. But that also means we'll have to wait a while for it to arrive.

RAM coolers like this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32750671016.html?spm=a2g0o.tm29272.2450638160.6.58dc2c4a94ca2P&&scm=1007.25281.132557.0&scm_id=1007.25281.132557.0&scm-url=1007.25281.132557.0&pvid=2f27b3a4-6a4f-4ee6-af40-403ed50e4ddd

Do they work?

Chipset coolers like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32432346031.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000015.1.625d780f48IjKK&scm=1007.14452.146114.0&scm_id=1007.14452.146114.0&scm-url=1007.14452.146114.0&pvid=41c9ddbc-48d6-4d67-b16e-aa67ea4d08f5&s=p

Yes both are a bit sketchy but lolz.

I realize the RAM cooler will block out RGB 'goodness' for some but it should peek a bit here and there.. The chipset cooler looks beefy enough to cool an X570. I hope.

We probably need another 'Handy tech under $100' before the December month.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

ok so you just did a video on an AOC monitor for like 250 bux i think it was,now it wasnt the greatest thing ever for sure but to be fair you guys should review this

AOC Agon AG273QCX 27''

its relatively cheap for the features you get like the HDR with 450 Nits brightness!! which i would love for you guys to confirm before i buy the dang thing lol but mostly just to give AOC a better chance for redemption.OH i forgot to say it also has RGB!!!

Hi Linus,

I know that you have done quite a lot of different things in the tech world, in light of the climate protests, I was wondering whether you could do a posting on the most eco systems out there right now.  My situation is that i want to find either a pc or laptop using as little power as possible.

Mil-spec build series, go through MIL-STD-810 and building a PC to pass each test incrementally (not retesting when making modifications for the next requirement). Would push Alex's engineering know how, possibly on site visits to testing labs, costs associated with developing aerospace/defence hardware and shed light on how "rugged/military" marketing claims can be misleading. 

I Reckon you guys should make some more build guides, as i find them very entertaining! maybe try making a build from all corsair as they started doing alot of thungs or all watercooled gigabyte auros waterforce.

17 hours ago, Sakkura said:

There's a lot more to visuals than just the panel. Optics are extremely important.

Additionally, a very high resolution tends to be problematic for performance reasons. Even if you address that by lowering the render resolution, you're still paying more for those extra pixels.

Ultimately these alternative headsets don't really add anything to the market. Most people should either be getting a Rift S at the cheap end, or a Valve Index at the high end (or consider an Oculus Quest for mobile VR + upcoming ability to run off a PC). It's nice that alternatives exist, they're just not particularly interesting to review.

The prototypes Oculus showed off recently are very interesting, clearly the next generation will feature some major improvements. But that also means we'll have to wait a while for it to arrive.

Yes! That's why I also mentioned what the Samsung Odessey + was doing with their approach with the lenses and have a different approach of how to do visuals then the Vive pro does. Watch the video. It's really interesting.

What I really am interested is what Linus thinks.

We are now getting headsets from Oculus and Vive that use a similar technology that Microsoft was doing already. The the Oculus Quest and the Vive Cosmos both are using technology similar to what Microsoft started using with their VR headsets. Microsoft, also with their Hololens, has already been working on using your fingers and hand in a physical/virtual world. Microsoft IS doing really cool stuff with Windows Mixed Reality. 

It would be cool if Linus checked out those two high end head sets. I hope Microsoft comes out with updates to Windows Mixed Reality VR headsets. Also, PUT IT ON XBOX! But anyway It's cool to see what companies are doing with VR now and I'd love to hear what Linus thinks about these headsets. 

You guys made a video on Windows Vista a little while ago. Could you make a video about Windows XP and how it made such a massive impact? That would be really cool.

Specs of The Battlestation:             CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X             Motherboard: AORUS AX-370 Gaming 5             RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz

Case: NZXT H710                           Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Hybrid             Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W Gold+  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Built 7 custom machines. Resident Tech Support Agent. Proficient in C#, JavaScript, and Sindarin Elvish. Loyal Member of House Ravenclaw. Ask me a question about hardware, and I can probably answer it.

some more DIY projects... i know they take lots of time but. maybe some laptop cooling hax ;) or even winter pc heater or something

aliekspres monitors, 120hz and laptop portabe 2k (found one for 90)

Here's a request for a video: Powerful phones with high resolution and refresh rate screens are a well established idea. So compare a mobile VR setup like Google's Daydream, Samsung's GearVR or a generic headset-phone combo (trough like the AMD Link VR or any 3rd party software) with a full fledged VR setup. Both in "inside computed" and "computer streamed" scenarios. Thx.

I'm not a forum guy so i beg mercy on advance if i'm breaking one of the 999 rules forums usually have.

try gaming or even maybe creating a powerful editing machine out of a cluster pc would be cool to see as i dont know much about it, but would be fun to watch

Lowest power white box like with Atom/HC1 NAS with ZFS

DIY youtube with peertube

42 minutes ago, Albert_G said:

Lowest power white box like with Atom/HC1 NAS with ZFS

As one of the developers, I would be happy to answer any questions that they have about that.

https://www.stirlingcryogenics.eu/en/products/custom-closed-loop-cooling-systems/closed-loop-liquid-nitrogen-cooling-systems

Linus should get in touch with those guys to build the world’s first publicly known closed loop LN2 CPU cooling system. That would go a step beyond this:

It is not actually closed loop because it lacks the ability to reliquidify the evaporated nitrogen. A system that could would be cool.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, CPotter said:

There is a line up of very cheap 4K TVs available in Australia (I'm not sure if you can get them elsewhere). The brand is called FFALCON (two fs) and I believe they are made/owned by TCL? (Correct me if I'm wrong). It would be great to maybe see a review on these TVs considering the recent flow of videos on cheap monitors.

I would really appreciate it,
Lewis

There is a line up of very cheap 4K TVs available in Australia (I'm not sure if you can get them elsewhere). The brand is called FFALCON (two fs) and I believe they are made/owned by TCL? (Correct me if I'm wrong). It would be great to maybe see a review on these TVs considering the recent flow of videos on cheap monitors.

I would really appreciate it,
Lewis

This might be way off, but Linus has mentioned here and there about his past painting experience. For me, a video on how to paint correctly might not fit the theme of the channel, but seems like a cool interesting video idea!

@CPotter I mentioned this in a superchat during WAN show (Oct 4, 1:14:35, my phrasing was oof to be fair), but I think it'd be super cool for you guys to make a Halloween costume with infrared LEDs and reflector strips for when people take pictures/videos of that person (because those things would look invisible/normal respectively but under a camera sensor/flash it'd look significantly different than irl). Combined with a black morph suit with normal LEDs for looking cool in the dark I think it could make for a nice video right before/during Halloween. Plus I think this'd make a great segue into talking about how cameras work and how different conditions can effect your photos, and this doesn't work with all cameras cause some of IR light filters, and i think that this'd blow some peoples minds who didn't even know their cameras could do that. If anything those core ideas could make for a cool tech quickie. 

so this

Related image

Plus

Image result for led suit dark

plus

Image result for reflector hat photo celebrity

Plus infrared lights in like a grid pattern that you could get to say anything which wouldn't be visible without a filter or a camera

Image result for remote IR on camerathose lights like above (you can get a lot from "night vision" stuff on amazon or just them straight if you google "IR LED"), except hooked up to a costume in a grid pattern, with some being on and off acting like invisible pixels

like:

Capture.thumb.PNG.59d7e477111146875c22847bb8493974.PNG

Backup... Did you back up?  Yes... it didn't restore.... WTF

I would love to see an in-depth back software review.  When I say in-depth I meant run actual incremental back up, system-wide and restore.  

Most backup software will not backup everything.... and of course that means it will not restore everything.  AppData folder is a common one. Nothing seems to want to back it up or restore it and I have to wonder how many other folders will not backup or restore if you just backup your C Drive.  Which software backs up over a network. Incremental on bluray disc....why not.  Online backup.... LTO drives.... all of it.  

It would be great imho if you guys could do a Folding@home "Special", featuring the great work that LTT team is doing this month, you could also add some benchmarks for various cpu and gpu. I know that PPD vary a little between WU's but, i would be nice to see an estimation of performance expected on I5, i7, i9, and all the ryzen gens. (also "old" gpus vs new ones like gtx1060 up to 2080ti and maybe rx580 up to 5700xt

that way if someone is thinking in buying parts they could also consider the expected performance in FAH

I'd love to see you make a video about the Amstrad Mega PC. This was probably one of the first gaming PC's to come onto the market that heavily promoted the dual function of gaming and standard computing, not much different to what we're used to today. Sure you could play games on other PC's at the time but none of them promoted this dual gaming/standard computing function, they were either designed for gaming or office work. The PC includes a Sega Mega Drive built in and standard PC system running MS-DOS with a 3.5" floppy drive, the gaming possiblities were endless. You could go from playing a Sega game to playing an MS-DOS based game then use the PC for office work within DOS.

DL4ML4_W4AAWErW.jpg

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: