Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Oluvsgadets is an interesting channel with a unique perspective on audio products (mostly headphones). 

Interested if he is right. 

A review of his headphones or tunings? 

Maybe a collaboration with him for a video or even more? 

Link to his channel:

https://youtube.com/c/oluvsgadgets

The Asus Z690-E motherboard says When M.2_1 is occupied with SSD device, PCIEX16(G5) will run x8 only. Even though there are no PCIe 5.0 SSDs

Can you do a video investigating this to see if a PCIe 4.0 SSD in the top slot will still lower it to x8 and if so why that was implemented 

Sorry if this has already been done but can you get Anthony to do a SERVER build that is not rack mounted.

A nice Mid Tower with an AMD EPYC or TWO, enough RAM to host 4 or 5 VMs for databases and web hosts, an NVME drive for the main OS and a couple more for data.

'Scotty, I... Need... More... Cores!...." James Tiberius Something-or-Other.

Based on Linux with Linux VMs and maybe a Win11 VM for giggles.

This would be for the aspiring developer to try new things. Not for business so not so critical.

You've done videos for mid-level enterprise and home servers but have gone a little coo-coo for co -co puffs the builds.

You've also done gamer-pooter next to workstation-pooter but not workstation-pooter next to server-pooter remote desktop-ing in or using a KVM switch.

I've heard good things about CentOS. Just Sayin'.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Jeff

P.S. Two PCs, side-by-side, livin' the good life. What a wonderful life.

@Jeff_F. I have merged your thread into the LTT Video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 hours ago, Hexxagone said:

Can you do a video investigating this to see if a PCIe 4.0 SSD in the top slot will still lower it to x8 and if so why that was implemented

It will, the lanes are either routed to one or the other depending on which is used regardless of speed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Video Idea: Private LTE networks. How it works, applications related to communications, IOT, etc.

Hi Writers and LTT, 

I'm a high school senior at Colonel By Secondary School out in Ottawa, Ontario.

Here at Colonel By we run a daily show called Cougar Vision, a local closed circuit cable tv program that serves as our daily announcements for the school.

We also produce a TV show aired on Rogers channel in Ottawa, called High School Happenings. 

(You can see their work daily here: http://www.colonelby.com/CV/

Our media and technology department is amazing, and having looked at your Intel $5000 extreme tech upgrades I had an idea.

It would be cool if LTT did a studio upgrade (quality speakers, etc.) for our Cougar Vision crew, and presented it as a senior prank, or something of the like. Maybe even make an appearance on our show!(?) This is a LONG shot into the dark but I think it's got potential. 

Of course I'll get you in touch with the necessary people to get it done!

Thanks for the consideration and I hope you find the idea cool at the very least!

Matthew T

Review playing PC games on PS5 with keyboard and mouse

Background: I am looking to buy my first gaming machine, and the best value for money seems to be a last-gen console - both PS5 and XBox have excellent components, well-build and are much cheaper than comparable PCs. The games I want to play are ether available on all platforms (Fortnite) or PS exclusives (GoW, Horizon), so it makes sense for me to go with a PS5. The only question I have is how good PS5 going to be in replacing PC for PC gaming (with keyboard and mouse).

Review setup: PS5 running Fortnite with connected keyboard and mouse, in 120 fps mode.

Compare it to PCs running Fortnite in different budget tiers: high-end PC, middle-tier PC that gets similar performance to PS5, low-tier PC similar to PS5 in price 

Points of comparison: FPS for different resolutions, mouse input lag, keyboard input lag

References:
The only similar comparison I could find is this 1-year-old video which states that PS5 used to have significant mouse input lag in Fortnite, but that got fixed, and now the performance is indistinguishable from a PC, however this video does not provide any measurements.

This is my first post and idk if anything will come out of it but it's worth a shot. I've watched LTT and your other channels for years and have massively enjoyed the content. It's even convinced me to change my career path into something IT related (MORE ON THAT LATER). Currently, I do video production for a living, working at a full studio at a JUCO in HTX and I freelance a bit on the side. I love filmmaking and just recording normal footage and making something awesome out of it. I even have a fair bit of Animation experience (With after effects, not cad). While I generally enjoy what I do, I have always felt the pull to IT and finally realized earlier this year that this is where my heart lies.

While I am a techie and would probably enjoy a desktop support role just fine, I have a wife and newborn to support and I want to give them a good life. So something lucrative was going to be a necessity.  I decided to make my weakness in IT my strength and that weakness was networking. I have been clueless on how networking works for a very long time. But I didn't want to just do networking, I wanted network security. Cybersecurity to be exact. 

1 year later, Im finishing up my second to last semester for an Associates of Applied Science in Cybersecurity to compliment my BS in Communication and Journalism and my MA in Digital Media Production and Im prepping for the CompTIA Security+ Exam which I will be taking next month. Linus indirectly helped me find my path to an industry with nearly infinite careers paths. And it was only through video content. 

This leads into the main point of my post. After going through this program and becoming exposed to a lot of what's out there, the Internet is a dangerous place. Tech is dangerous. Data/Information is dangerous. LTT paints a pretty image of how awesome (or not awesome) some of the latest tech is in the industry. Along with Techquickie and all the other channels, Linus has IT covered. Except for one glaring area. I know there are other popular security and networking channels out there like Hak5 and so on, but they don't have the audience that LTT has. They don't have the platform that Linus has. That's why I think it would like to request a Networking/Security based channel, focusing on different topics such as TOR (Dark web), Setting up a network (It would be really cool to see what all goes into setting up a network for a large scale organization like LTT), Hacking/Attacks (SQL Injection/Man in the Middle/ Brute Force/etc.), and maybe have an indirect focus on educating you audience about the implications of a putting info out on the Internet and how it can impact your security. Obviously there are a million topics you could hit on and I think your crew would make it very entertaining, yet educative at the same time. 

Its just a thought and something that I think would tie in nicely to the rest of Linus Media Group. Idk if others on here would even back this request, but it's something that more and more people need to become aware of. I had my identity stolen a few years back because a company that I worked for 12 years ago had a database that contained a table with former employee private info was hacked via SQL Injection. All sorts of credit accounts were opened in my name. Fortunately, I just happened to purchase extra Identity protection from Experian prior to the breach and it all worked out for me in the end. But I literally did nothing wrong and my information was still compromised because a hacker was smarter than the Kroger IT division. 

Its dangerous out there and Linus has the opportunity to educate his viewers on networking and security, along with tech reviews and tech news. 

That's about all I got. If you made it this far, thanks for reading.  

Hello,

I am looking for same solution for my ThinkPad P1 Gen 2 and my phone (1+ 6 with 20W dash charge)

I do have several standard Lenovo chargers: 65W, which is recognized as 90W, and charges even during the heavy use, laptop's own 125W fast charger and another 170 W charger,

Unfortunately none of them have USB port as for example on some Asus chargers,

Anker 100W is ideal except the price, ~200 USD is too high for my liking and (my discomfort level is not as high)

There are several others from less reputable brands, such as WOTOBE https://www.ebay.com/itm/124957934223?hash=item1d1812c28f:g:a-MAAOSwWShha8cZ

It looks good on paper, price is good and I can get it cheaper from Aliexpress, but the problem is, that there is no good review for GaN USB PD chargers, Amazon/Ebay and Aliexpress comments are not so easy to trust as well, especially when customer experience is significantly different.

I hope LTT will look into it, with today's video Linus showed their new venture (wish them success BTW) but reviewing this kind of niche product from tech persons perspective would be nice, rather reviews for general publics, w/o in depth technical information  

Was re watching the old LTT "Can You Build Your OWN Mechanical Keyboard??" video and in the intro Linus mentioned that Anthony wanted to custom make the whole thing from milling out a case to soldering and programming the micro controller.  Just thought that could be a really awesome video especially now that they have a better workshop and more expertise. Also as a general side note I would love to see even more in depth build videos

only if all the keycaps are waifu keycaps to go with his body pillow

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

25 minutes ago, Alex117 said:

==moved to LTT video idea thread==

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Please do a video on CMOS batteries, I am sure there are lots of people who have older machines who could probably use a video on CMOS batteries and the replacement process. It might also be a cause of problems people don't think to normally troubleshoot. I've got to change two in two old pc's I have and I searched for content on LTT but couldn't find any. I'm pretty sure I'll have no problem, but its always nice to review with a video before operating.

When I'm looking for "how to" videos I normally type LTT followed by what I'm looking to learn / accomplish; I came across a problem when connecting my PC to my TV attempting to use WiFi Direct (is it actually called WiDi? lol) with Roku.

Definitely wouldn't make a video this specific, but maybe split it into (2) videos; (1) "How to make a dumb TV smart" (Review different types of streaming service devices; Roku, firestick etc...). Video (2), a simple step by step connecting PC's to smart TV's. My problem is that my PC doesn't have WiFi so I am hardwired, I'm able to cast when I'm on Chrome for things like Youtube or Netflix... but can't "mirror" (Miracast) my screen or cast a video using my VLC media player. Can't wrap my head around why the tech only works with Wifi (I get that it's a tech built on WiFi) even though the data is being sent through the same network? I'm a noob who only built his first PC last year but seems like there should be a way?

Anywho, the info out there isn't very helpful so a LTT video on the topic could be both interesting and useful. 

OH! Okay, 3rd video on adding a WiFi Card directly to the motherboard VS the USB option? I assume it's better to do the extra work and install it in, but how much worse is the USB option as it's so convenient and can then be used for multiple systems. Guess it comes down to money, I'd rather pay less and do the extra work instead of paying an arm and a leg for the "easy" USB option. This was useful:

Video title could be: "PCI-E WiFi card vs USB WiFi Adapter" ? 

On the topic of videos, I would like to see more input geared for the disabled and aging market - which BTW is about 25% of the market.

If you consider the requirements of WCAG/Section508/ and how difficult it is for people - that really need it - to get help, you guys are missing a huge market share. I have done over 40 years in graphics and web; until a car accident took me out of the main stream working world. Needless to say I've had to find accessibility work arounds, best hardware combinations and such. There is a great deal of resources out there but the disabled - even lightly disabled don't know about what's available or how to reach out for help and get their gear together.

Maybe there are some grants out there for your efforts.

Any way... good luck with your new lab.

D

I found a listing on ebay for BGA 9th Gen Intel Mobile CPUS soldered onto an adapter for a LGA1151 Desktop Cpu socket. I put the link below. They are selling a highend i9 9980hk for quite cheap and if this was real, would be great deal. I think it would make a great video checking these out. Heres the link to listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174794904144?hash=item28b2969250:g:XjUAAOSwSCZhJcPA

12 minutes ago, TheSuperYummyBoi said:

I found a listing on ebay for BGA 9th Gen Intel Mobile CPUS soldered onto an adapter for a LGA1151 Desktop Cpu socket. I put the link below. They are selling a highend i9 9980hk for quite cheap and if this was real, would be great deal. I think it would make a great video checking these out. Heres the link to listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174794904144?hash=item28b2969250:g:XjUAAOSwSCZhJcPA

They already have a video on those (the concept, not this particular chip)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

They already have a video on those (the concept, not this particular chip)

Thak=nks I'll go check it out. Maybe they will make another video on these ones. Thanks again.

I had an idea earlier this week regarding the latest version of the Desk PC that LTT built for Linus's office:

It should be possible to use the legs of the desk as passive heat sinks, if you have a double skinned table leg such that you can circulate the water through the outer layer and then back up the middle from the bottom. You would need to create or or buy a circular/ tubular radial fin heatsink to fit around the legs but you should have enough thermal mass and surface area over 4 table legs to passively cool the rig. A pump for the loop could be mounted in the bottom of one of the back legs and the leg could act as the reservoir. 

It would avoid a lot of the dust ingress issues if you could seal the desk itself and you would also only have the pump noise and no fans.

It would require a bit of custom machining but from the equipment they currently have available should be possible. 

desk pc table leg heat sink.png

Can we get a video on how to install TPM modules so we can get Windows 11.  (for those of us that don't have 2.0)

How about testing interferences with wireless devices; name of the the video: "Can these dongles touch?"

I was watching Bitwit talk about a gaming laptop and he mentioned something about wanting more ports on a specific side so two dongles aren't too close together. Unless I got the point of that wrong, either way I can't stop laughing and I think any video with enough "Dongle" puns will be a hit 

I don’t know if there has been a video done about this already but my son has become very, um, paranoid about online security. He mentioned changing to Duck Duck Go and Chrome not being very secure, complaining super hard that I don’t have any password on my cell phone.

But I am wondering how much risk we are ACTUALLY in by not having any security on my phone, using Firefox and Google, etc….

The fear used to be of having your modem hacked to get your CC info as you made purchases online, then that wifi or cell signal could be intercepted while making those purchase on your cell phone (both of which we now all do with abandon).  Recently, it’s those stupid “What was your first car” or “Do you still remember your kindergartner teachers name” things on FB that are supposedly phishing expeditions on unsuspecting FB users (is that really what they are or are people just paranoid?).

I am wonder what is the real state of online security and what are the best, practical steps people can take to maximize their security?

I hope the team looks into it, I think it might be very enlightening to see the state of online security and if the claims from Duck Duck Go are true, how much could you actually glean from an unprotected cell phone, etc….?

Thanks for reading!