Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I know this might be stupid but.... Build a gaming pc for under $180

heres another video suggestion that may need more than 1 part to do,So i was thinking of this Tag "Can Gaming make your Brain Smarter''? the site Luminosity claims playing there mind games can improve memory and delay alzheimer's by 10years!! big claim right? Anyways i figured you could select a few ltt employees to play these games for like a month to see if there Concentration or Focus improves compared to whatever baseline you have,Would be very interesting for sure.

Smartphone as gaming monitor!!?

Sooo this story actually begins with a LG 4k tv 43" that I used as a monitor. which sufferer from the white backlight going blue D: and finally after some time I send it in to fix but that left me with no monitor and therefore no computer which is sad. SO after some googling later I found this a smartphone app I installed in my phone and a driver for the computer (I installed it by stealing a tv from my sister for a little bit till I installed the driver and then returned it) And it just works!

While you install the driver it will ask you to not have your phone plugged in and at some point during the install it will tell you to plug it in by USB.(you will need to enable developer options and USB debugging) and it just works as a second monitor! or as main monitor if you don't have any other monitor.

Here is a small video I recorded by recording my phone's screen, excuse my terrible English.

You can find the driver and smartphone app HERE you can also find the app in the appstore as [USB Mobile Monitor]

I believe I'm somehow getting the graphic's card output somehow but I don't really understand how is this working

The phone I have is a Huawei p30

Evga gtx 960 gpu

Ryzen 5 3600x cpu and Asus prime x570-p motherboard

Here is a video demonstrating it working VIDEO

So yeah for a couple of day's this is my setup! big jump going from 43" to like 6"

17 minutes ago, JohnDeereBro said:

How much vram do you need for gaming?

that depends a TON on what you want to do... What resolution, what games, do you want VR stuff...
Edit: Oh I I thought this was in another forum page... Yeah that would make a good video lol

Edited by Collin_S
I misread the post I responded to

4 minutes ago, Collin_S said:

that depends a TON on what you want to do... What resolution, what games, do you want VR stuff...
Edit: Oh I I thought this was in another forum page... Yeah that would make a good video lol

You're good, don't worry. : )

Trigger warning: A/B testing lossy/loseless audio formats to poop on the audiophile elitists with their snakeoil $500 DACs.

Hello,

Not too long ago I built my first custom loop for my PC, using acrylic tubing and Primo chill Vue cobalt blue fluid.  Now, only a month later, I'm noticing substantial buildup in all spots that I can see (gpu block, tubing, distro plate), and probably everywhere else as well.  It already looks like it needs to be torn down and cleaned, but I'm not sure why or what I would have done wrong.  I've found a lot of good educational content about custom loops, but still feel as though there's a lot missing, especially in terms of troubleshooting.  I was wondering if you'd be interested in making a video on issues like this and what could potentially cause it, possibly even with this specific computer as reference, I would be willing to send it in (pics attached). 
Slightly unrelated but still an annoyance since I'm now on quiet water cooling, but my GPU (gigabyte gtx 1070) has been experiencing terrible coil whine in oddly specific situations, i.e. not while under full load in a AAA title but instead while running vanilla minecraft (headache-inducing at times).  I don't know how common it is for whine to get as bad as my card, but if it's common I feel it could be another potential video topic to resolve the issue, unless it is just something that happens over time and can't really be helped.

IMG_20210318_145107.jpg

IMG_20210318_145139.jpg

IMG_20210318_145121.jpg

IMG_20210318_145115.jpg

I wonder if this has been done before, but I would like a very detailed explanation of PSU, like what OTP and OCP are, Intel C6 and C7 states and the difference between other states, and what 'smart' components that is regulating the power output of PSU. Oh, the most important thing, how they are design to accept universal voltage of 100V (or sometimes 90V) until 230V (or 240V).

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

4 hours ago, JohnDeereBro said:

How much vram do you need for gaming?

a decent GPU, then having 4 or 6 GB of Vram. can play with less, but for most titles should do good. to the max 8-12 for current games and most resolution.

Unless you have an OP card or it handles Vram differently.

I really hope this is the right place for this type of a suggestion, and I truly hope someone at LMG sees this.

Recently, I watched an interview where Louis Rossman interviewed Jeremy Soller of System76. While Jeremy was explaining what they do at System76, he talked about how they use CLEVOS for their laptops, but they also spend a significant amount of time on Firmware and Support to ensure the hardware is performing at its best using their operating system.

I would absolutely love to see Anthony do a gaming and load-tested side by side comparison of a System76 Laptop with Pop!_OS on it, and a similar or identically specced CLEVO with POP!_OS installed on it to see how much of a difference their firmware makes on the performance of the laptop.

~A

Something with CRT monitors and refresh rates? I had an instructor last semester that told us she would often show her classes what happens if you mess with the refresh rate. According to her, they smoke. I don't know if that's true or not since she didn't do it for my class. I think it would be neat to see the limitations of older tech and how it's evolved. Also it would be cool to see one torn down and learn about the parts. I don't know if it would be useful now, but I still like to learn about how things work. Or don't work. Or catch on fire. So pretty much I just want to see some CRT monitors catch on fire. You know, for science. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ4ea5NNqcg

I think we need a video update about harddrive mining, I'd really like to know the profitability in mining the #14 coin right now "Filecoin"

Check out Filecoin.io they have a great visual explanation of their service, it's essentially a decentralized cloud storage system, I'm thinking this is a big deal.

6 hours ago, Apalacrypto said:

I would absolutely love to see Anthony do a gaming and load-tested side by side comparison of a System76 Laptop with Pop!_OS on it, and a similar or identically specced CLEVO with POP!_OS installed on it to see how much of a difference their firmware makes on the performance of the laptop.

The whole point of making a custom firmware is for it to be open, not to have better performance than an industry standard one - but then once you decide to make your own you obviously have to do work to make it support each new platform correctly. 

That video was awesome BTW.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

hey guys,

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that there is an old xbox 360/ xbox one thats sitting around doing nothing, for me there is an xbox 360 being used as a doorstop. 

(1) Why Can't You Install Windows on an Xbox? - YouTube

In that video on techquickie you said that it was (practically) impossible to put windows on an xbox. Although at the end of the video it said that it was actually quite easy to put Linux on it though. 

Thanks,

Tom

Does rgb really give you more frames?

6 hours ago, myst_ said:

Does rgb really give you more frames?

No, it doesn't. That would be a great suggestion for an April Fools video, but you're a tad too late for that now.

Why on earth would it anyway?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Yo Linus fill an entire water loop with liquid metal.

you know you want to.

just put in a bigger pump if needed.

you know you want to.

hit me up for more dumb stuff

love you bye.

I am in a situation where i have a good gpu ( had 1070 but sold and recently got 3060ti and looking at 3080 - 3090 if prices go down ) but i dont have too much time to game. So sometimes i borrow my gpu to friends so they can for a week game on it but it is (specialy in pandemic) difficult to go and pick up / give gpu. 

So i would realy like to make "diy cloud gaming service" just for me and close friends if it is possible. I know good low latency internet is required. And maybe it could be interesting video topic, simmilar to "n" gamers - one pc but over internet. Also if not for video any advice / tutorials for how to do this i would appreciate, Its hard for me to google this stuff because of comercial cloud gaming services always having better SEO.

1 hour ago, Jozef said:

Also if not for video any advice / tutorials for how to do this i would appreciate, Its hard for me to google this stuff because of comercial cloud gaming services always having better SEO.

LTT has already done videos about Parsec/Rainway which are common solutions for that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

LTT has already done videos about Parsec/Rainway which are common solutions for that.

Thanks, I updated my search terms and this video poped up, looks like it is exactly what i need. 

5 hours ago, Jozef said:

So sometimes i borrow my gpu to friends so they can for a week game on it but it is (specialy in pandemic) difficult to go and pick up / give gpu.

Could have kept the 1070? But I guess its a good time to sell. Also if geforce works or steam or other softwares work for game streaming.