Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Framework Laptop - Modular. Sustainable. Repairable.

https://frame.work/

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/25/22299938/framework-laptop-features-upgrade-release-date-price

I'm especially fond of the longevity and repairability that this startup seems to be seeking. There's no word on pricing or availability yet, but it's a wait and see.

I'd like to see the end of Apple as they currently make laptops. They don't care about sustainability or longevity. 

Not saying other manufacturers are better, just Apple likes to talk about it.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

You guys should review the blademaster pro. The thing is a tank so Linus can drop it all he wants 😄

On 3/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, CPotter said:

点击我们与你最好的莱纳斯技术提示视频建议!这是为了取代我们以前的“下一步我们应该回顾什么”的主题。莱纳斯或其中一个作家会阅读这些建议,但他们可能不会在这个帖子中直接回复你。

莱纳斯科技小贴士

Hello, I'm ARIES from Xinjiang, China. I saw two interesting mice on Taobao (AliExpress) in China. I think taran will be interested in these two mice. I wish taran could test these two mice. The first one: Red Dragon M990, which I think is the mouse with the most macro buttons on Taobao: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32910541637.html?
The second one: AJAZZ GTI: This is also the mouse I am using, taking into account both games and work:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001419808778.html?

I think taran might like it, hoping to be the material for your video. Please forgive me for my unclear expression. I have few opportunities to communicate with people from English-speaking countries.

1 minute ago, AriesCNXJ said:

您好,我是中国新疆的ARIES。我在中国的淘宝网(AliExpress)上看到了两只有趣的老鼠。我认为塔兰会对这两只老鼠感兴趣。我希望塔兰能测试这两只老鼠。第一个:红龙M990,我认为它是淘宝上具有最多宏按钮的鼠标: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32910541637.html?
第二个:AJAZZ GTI:这也是我正在使用的鼠标,同时考虑到游戏和工作:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001419808778.html?

我想塔兰可能会喜欢,希望能成为您视频的素材。请原谅我不清楚的表情。我几乎没有机会与来自英语国家的人交流。

There are many interesting products on Taobao. I want to see your evaluation. For example, an xbox controller can not only adapt to iPhone, Android and windows at the same time, but also has more RGB, somatosensory manipulation and macro definition functions than Microsoft's elite controller. The price is 269 RMB (about 41.59 US dollars, that is, 52.45 Canadian dollars) and the Microsoft elite handle is 1398 RMB (about 21.616 US dollars, that is, 272.6 Canadian dollars). If lmg members are willing to make a video with these interesting things, I am also willing to spend some time. Find them on AliExpress.

Should make the ultimate DIY laptop

I understand there's implications ,but maybe you guys have the resources now. I wouldn't know.

9 hours ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

TLDR - they don't like to do it, but it's unavoidable if you want to grow your channel.

TLDR - sometimes they just want to mess with you, and has nothing todo with any growth.

Now that all the GPU´s are gone thanks to the crypto try to buy old GPU (1000 or 2000 series that has been in mining for over year) from crypto miner and compare it to brand new one and maybe also to another used (gaming) one so we normal users know if we should buy old mining GPU´s. Compare fps, memory usage temperature etc. I would love to know how much crypto mining affects GPU gaming performance.

Two things:

• incoming GPU crash. From what I know > 90% of GPU mining is Ethereum, which has decided to remove it's dependency on hashpower and wants to move to proof of stake. I'm not familiar with the exact technicalities, but they planned on completing the transition in 2020, so I think it's possible it will still happen this year. I really don't know if and when it will happen, but that would completely flood the Gaming market with fresh GPUs. Personally I think the hate against miners is a little short-sighted. The miners are pumping loads of money into Nvidia and AMD, and strongly incentivising RnD and pushing production to the limit. This means we get more and better GPUs, wich eventually all should end up in gaming rigs.(unless of course special mining cards are built). 
  • General Overwiew of VR hardware compatability. maybe techquickie, but i feel it's more about the state of the industry than the specific technology. The way I'm used to from PCs, every mouse will work together with any monitor, keyboard, OS and game launcher. with VR it seems to be different. I would appreciate a chart showing different systems and compatability and a pledge for the industy to find some standards, so that a user can combine his favourite controller with any headset and optionally tracking system. Same applies for upgrades.

Please invest in an efficient PSU with >90%.  My favourite is Seasonic, but quality>brand

Yes and no to mining.

The power used to mine, the hardware going to waste after a short time? The money these companies get isnt much to talk about. While "gamers" can overreact and do a bit similar stuff. Being used and thrashed for mining I would disagree with. I guess it also depends on the miners goal.

I don´t care if people use GPus for mining or gaming but mining has clearly increased prices, atleast where I live but what I want to know in year or two when those cards come to second hand market is it worth to buy mining GPU? Does it affect gaming performance when it has been runing 24/7 for few years at it´s limit?

Spawn camping next to a campfire in the winter: How much does physical stress brought on by lower temperatures reduce gaming performance, both human and machine? Does hot cocoa effect this?

Star Link providing data to router for gaming PC in the middle of the Rockies: How does cell signal compare and at what strength should you switch back? 4G, LTE or stick with Star Link entirely?

Solar panel charging of mobile devices: Is it effective in Canadian winters?

3 hours ago, monkku said:

Does it affect gaming performance when it has been runing 24/7 for few years at it´s limit?

Silicon degrading I think, but it also depends on the user. If having enough cooling, how hard for 24/7 use? And so on. Also if they have not done more to the card or it being made for mining only.

Making a watercooled PC in the tank of a toilet. "Best Gaming Throne Ever"

You could do a video similar to what you've done with the ultimate gaming bed.

Any chance on reviewing Eluktronics MAX-17 Ultra Light Magnesium Alloy 17.3" Gaming Laptop? I am shopping for a gaming laptop, and this seems to have some great specs, QHD, 165hz, a rtx 3080 option, up to a AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX (Although at this time it wasn't available for me to select it as an option and with a 91.24Whr battery. seems pretty amazing but obviously as we all know from LTT videos.... on paper doesn't always translate to real world. 

I would just like to see if this thing actually preforms and lives up to its specs without melting or being really janky. especially since it seems reasonably priced for its specs.

Thank you for the opportunity of a suggestion!

Also if anyone has purchased one or knows of a good review source on it, please message me so I can check it out as well. Thank you!

6 hours ago, jrhaberland said:

"But Mooooooooom, Taco Bell helps me get better overclocks! D:< D:< D:<"

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 3/8/2021 at 12:16 AM, jrhaberland said:

I'd watch that! +1

make dennis and madison actually find the hole, hole finder.

What holes you may ask? the holes linus make from dropping stuff.

nvm, but a building project with those two sounds like it would be stressful and... fun?!

Linus should take a look at the Brave Browser and their BAT monetization scheme. Seems interesting but it would be interesting to see Linus and Anthony's take on it.

I just found a cool project called ReviOS. It's a community-driven project that "aspires to re-create what Windows as an operating system should have been, with a particular emphasis on performance, stability, and privacy."

It's basically a modified Windows ISO.  There's a handful of (relatively) small youtube videos that show promising results with it.

I think it'd be an interesting Anthony vid tbh. Here's their website: https://www.revi.cc/revios

use a small home water heater, but get FREE ENERGY!!?!

just joking, but watercooling pipe to the card's waterblock and CPU, save money? (not really)

On 3/20/2019 at 6:46 PM, CPotter said:

Hello I'm a Newfoundlander fighting with fibromyalgia who is in a machinist course in Conception Bay South Newfoundland you guys have been a true inspiration and I'd really appreciate some ergonomic help I could shoot a video detailing the technology side of Newfoundland machines and give a Newfie point of view you haven't had I'd love to talk to anyone about it in sadly living on visa so I can't afford much but I have time and even stuff laying around the office would be amazing my monitor is an old Toshiba tv I'm quarantined at the cabin and going home soon I have a cheap chair but my monitors give me chronic headaches. And my limbs often go numb while in school I have two slipped discs

20191028_194821.jpg