Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

How about a video where you build a room that looks like the inside of a pc.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

Scrapyard Wars "retro battlestation" edition.  Linus and Luke face off to build PC's from either the WinXP era (any hardware that has driver support for WinXP).

On the positive side, they won't have to chase after any new GPU's (GTX 980 or newer) that are basically non-existent or at scalper prices right now during the GPU shortage/crisis.  It'll keep the budget low too.

Dear LTT Crew,

My name is Logan Kempisty im 16 and Hail from Maryland. I understand you guys do alot with servers and other such Nas systems. I was wondering if it would be out of your scope to make a "budget server" or "Raspberry pi server" that runs kube. That's all Thank you for your time, id be very excited if you did make a video on that.

sincerely,

Logan Kempisty 

Video Suggestion - Colorblind Gaming

I would love to see a walkthrough about the differences between colorblind and non-colorblind gaming, does it impose disadvantages for the colorblind ppl? Some games have filters to work around this, is this any good? Does it works? How would a colorblind person perform in a non-filtered against a filtered game.

Bonus video suggestion: Starlink latency
How's your latency playing on american, european and asian servers? Does distance matters less now that our data is going to space? Is this a good option for EU ppl that wants to play on american servers with less than 300ms ping?

Hey, I recently got some PCI expansion slot exhaust fans for both my and my girlfriend's rigs. Both of them are underneath the GPU's as a means to directly exhaust heat produced from the graphics card so they aren't recycling the same hot case air. They seem to be a worthwhile addition, especially in both of our cases since they are windowless and boring (Theft deterrence through obfuscation) therefore we don't have to look at them and their ugly red/black wires. (Theft deterrence through obfuscation.)

I'd estimate that they help reduce GPU temps by about 4-5 deg C in both of our cases (Phanteks Enthoo Pro and Fractal Design Define R5) but this isn't really a controlled experiment because I also upgraded the fans of both of our rigs at the same time I added the PCI exhaust fans. The exhaust fan and 3 pin adapter cable were $17ish together, and I bought two of each.

I'd love to see an actual controlled experiment done with these, particularly in an mATX or ITX rig because I've been thinking about building one recently, but have put it off both because of the GPU shortage and I don't really need it to begin with. Since mATX and ITX rigs are known to obviously run hotter, I am extremely curious if the success I had (which may also be due to other factors) can be replicated in other rigs in a before and after situation. It'd be EXTREMELY janky, but I'm also willing to bet that one of these fans could be mounted on a slot that is normally meant for vertically-mounted GPUs while leaving the GPU itself in the normal horizontal configuration.

I particularly use the StarTech single slot PCI exhaust fan, ( https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Expansion-Exhaust-Cooling-Connector/dp/B0000510SS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 ) along with a Molex to 3 pin adapter cable ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H25PBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to reduce speed of the exhaust fan to about 65-70% to keep the noise down through DC fan control.

I've gathered that they were all the rage 10-15 years ago, yet somehow the only data I can find on their effectiveness is through a handful of poor quality Youtube videos and product reviews that don't really give any context whatsoever.

7164xxEED%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

EDIT: I watched the PSU up/down video from 2016 earlier today and actually experimented in my rig. Removed the PCI exhaust fan, and then compared temps with a 60% power mining load then flipped the PSU to compare. Just like the 2016 video... no difference in GPU temp. Restored it to default config (PSU down, exhaust fan in) and had the same 4-5 degree drop in GPU temp. Now I am absolutely baffled at how the PSU acting as an exhaust vs doing nothing has no discernible temperature difference vs having this tiny little expansion bay fan. I did not test PSU up with exhaust fan in as I got too tired of re-cabling my rig. I wasn't expecting any miraculous difference so figured it wasn't worth the effort.

I'm still quite curious to this whole concept as I'm still eager to get my hands on a 3080 or 3090 if the opportunity presents itself, and I have heard that they run exceptionally hot... ESPECIALLY the VRAM. I intend on protecting my "investment" should I ever get lucky enough to get one of these exotic GPU's but the nerd in me is just hungry for some more scientific-method approved testing data.

Not a video idea suggestion as such but it would be cool if your videos were at 60 fps, not everyone has a 4k monitor/TV but everyone has a 60 hz monitor/TV

Your videos would look more smooth

Other tech youtubers already do this (GamerNexus, HardwareUnboxed, TechDeals, etc)

2 hours ago, VirtualBlack said:

Not a video idea suggestion as such but it would be cool if your videos were at 60 fps, not everyone has a 4k monitor/TV but everyone has a 60 hz monitor/TV

Your videos would look more smooth

Other tech youtubers already do this (GamerNexus, HardwareUnboxed, TechDeals, etc)

This! I'm 1440p@165hz, and the difference between 30 and 60fps video is amazing. It looks so much better when everything is 60fps smooth. I do also like that they upload in 4k though, so I would want 4K60. I obviously don't know their capturing/editing/posting workflow, but I'd have to guess they would have to change their workflow in some capacity, and that might be what is stopping them.

-Jake

try and make a custom gpu by taking apart gpus and mashing them together

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

you could use the RGB diamond play button setup up with linux as a magic mirror(with a monitor and one of those anker Webcams. then tie it in with Microsoft cognitive services for the facial recognition to display individual staff members meetings and stuff. or have it display metrics when people look at it. for example, Jake walks in front of it. it shows networking Info for the building . one of the videographers it'll show the current time left for the Ingestor? or one of the editors  maybe try and get it to link in to display the render time left on a video there rendering or some other pertinent info.

Hi! my living situation is pretty unstable right now, I unfortunately can't really have a full PC rig. I saw your smallest PC builds and they look sick!
I thought a cool idea for a video would be a FULLY portable PC.

- lightweight enough (like an intel NUC) so it could fit in a 55 litre rucksack. 
- doesn't need to be plugged into an outlet
- powered mostly through solar power, or other sources that can be useful on the go.
- portable monitors which could also fit in the 55 litre rucksack.

ideally, you could keep a one man tent, cooking supplies and the PC all in a 55 litre rucksack.
the dream would be, being able to set up this portable PC setup in a tent.

Sorry if this idea sucks, but it'd be really cool to see this. 

How about building a new rig for Brian the electrician? That would make a cool video. 

I think @BrianTheElectricianhas way too many rigs and parts already!

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

"worlds first gaming pc"

Just pulled my first gaming rig out of my parents attic.

64,000 bits of RAM!

300 bits PER SECOND over a standard telephone line!

Advanced COLOR graphics!

Gaming in the 1900's!

Sorry, disk drive is MIA

20210414_162256.jpg

20210414_162225.jpg

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I think @BrianTheElectricianhas way too many rigs and parts already!

😂 Hey now haha my main rig can always use an upgrade! I mean it's adequate lol but I'd love a new ryzen build with a 3070/3080 or 6800/6900XT 😜

To be fair though, your right I do already have A LOT of computers

1 minute ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

😂 Hey now haha my main rig can always use an upgrade! I mean it's adequate lol but I'd love a new ryzen build with a 3070/3080 or 6800/6900XT 😜

To be fair though, your right I do already have A LOT of computers

*tries to force linus into scrap some of the old parts into a new PC*
But then he just throws money at you while saying, "you can only have a high end PC that you want, but working on power that is not from the wall/grid, more on solar and the like". oh god.

52 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

*tries to force linus into scrap some of the old parts into a new PC*
But then he just throws money at you while saying, "you can only have a high end PC that you want, but working on power that is not from the wall/grid, more on solar and the like". oh god.

Is this a challenge? 😁😜

Actually wouldn't be too hard, build the pc as normal but then setup an off-grid power system utilizing lots of solar panels with a big charge controller, deep cycle batteries and a good quality inverter.

26 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Is this a challenge? 😁😜

Actually wouldn't be too hard, build the pc as normal but then setup an off-grid power system utilizing lots of solar panels with a big charge controller, deep cycle batteries and a good quality inverter.

blindfolded, oh nevermind, never deal with electricity blind! *-*

*famous last words before someone does it and it goes wrong*

Yes, but you might know linus more than us and maybe he will add 100 other reasons and restrictions? 😛 and I just wonder, if both you and electroboom would be fun to collab on a video? I bet electroboom got some stuff he wants to try out, including but not limited to something shocking. in no way asking for people to get shocked. or.. or... or?

*hits house with lightning*

Do an in-depth vid of thermal conductors (paste, pads). What makes a good conductor, how to compare various types, etc. Is a 6W/mK better or worse then 11W/mK, what does this mean?

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

59 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

blindfolded, oh nevermind, never deal with electricity blind! *-*

*famous last words before someone does it and it goes wrong*

Yes, but you might know linus more than us and maybe he will add 100 other reasons and restrictions? 😛 and I just wonder, if both you and electroboom would be fun to collab on a video? I bet electroboom got some stuff he wants to try out, including but not limited to something shocking. in no way asking for people to get shocked. or.. or... or?

*hits house with lightning*

Haha yeah in sure there would be some shenanigans and silly rules 😂

A collab with electroboom would be a lot of fun. I would have loved to be involved in the esd video, I'll be the shocky gineapig 😜. Pretty sure everything electroboom does is shocking lol. Hmm, he's pretty close too... 🤔

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hey Guys at LTT,

my names Yannik, i'm from Germany ans i just saw your video on how Nvidia was creating these cryptomining cards and what stuck to me was the part about how important reusing is.

As i lately promised to myself that i would upgrade my gaming setup this year i spent the  last weeks looking for the best options on the market, but i never got into the used hardware market, as ive been really hesitant on buying used hardware. 

So just as an idea, maybe you could do a miniseries on upgrading our home desktop pcs. Video topics that i would think would be really helpful would be:

-where to look for used hardware

-how to ensure the hardware i buy is legit and also working

-what old gpus or cpus or other components maybe offer similar perfomance in comparison to the newest generetaion hardware (in the video you showed an example with the 1080 vs 20xx series of Nvidia)

-how to actually physically exchange components in an already built setup

I'm aware that a lot of this has already been done by someone somewhere on the internet but i just thought maybe having all of these videos compact on a channel with your viewership numbers might be a good influence on the scene and help many gamers like me in gaming more environmentally friendly.

Wish you guys all the best!

Yannik

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hey guys... So I've always been about efficiency.  I used this concept in the last desktop I built where I got a good graphics card / processor and undervolted as much as I could while still within 10% of stock speeds.  To my surprise I was able to build a gaming desktop that pulled only 68W of power under full gaming load.  Obviously the thermals were way down, another benefit as I hate having a gaming space heater in my room over the summer months, but also the fan noise was almost non existent.

There are very few videos on the benefits of underclocking, and I've not seen any that talk about trying to get the most efficient system money can buy.  Is a 3090 underclocked the best graphics card?  at low voltages do we need water cooling or does the extra electricity in the pumps make it not worthwhile?  What's the best CPU / motherboard combo for using the fewest watts?  Can or should you use laptop CPUs in a desktop for power conservation?  I'm planning to build my next desktop when Alder Lake comes out.   My budget is a staggering $5000.  But I want a cool, silent, efficient beast.

I challenge you Linus to build the ultimate gaming rig that uses less then 50W of power under load... Or less then 100W if that's too insane.

I look forward to the episode.

Let me suggest a look at my favourite video card design of all time and perhaps one of the most creative/ambitious. It'd fit with Linus's recent theme of taking a look at older, rare hardware like the hot wheels pc, disney pc, and that cool alienware monitor.

The card is: *drumroll* Asus 8800GTX Aqua Tank. Yes you heard that right; it had a secondary board with a watercooler that had a pump and reservoir in it. 

Check it out at this link:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-8800-gtx-aquatank.b625

Just watched the most recent (15/04/2021) ShortCircuit on the DJI Air2S. Would like to suggest you take a look at the latest DJI FPV. Would like to see what you guys think.

I also happen to know where you can borrow one...jus' sayin'...