Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

How about a video that covers all the different bios setting, thing like XMP, UEFI, raid vs AHCI etc, etc. When to use certain ones and their use cases. 

A mineral oil floatplane theamed build would be cool! It doesn't need to be high spec just good enough for 4k floatplane playback, Think of it as the equivalent of a show car, You guys could use the Lazer to make a custom case and maybe get Luke in for the final assembly.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Maybe a video based on info from Linus interviewing the Cheif Hardware Architect at Liqid, im sure it would be easy for him to interview the person in the posistion and would allow for some amazing insight on the products, even cooler if it allowed for insight on future products from Liqid

Make a video, about the best screenshot programs, for different devices ( Windows and Mac) Or programs that work with both. :thumbup:

I'd love to see a video where you test the longevity of ssd compared to what their manufactures say they should be.

Or a video where you design and build your own ssd.

I know you do a lot of vintage tech kinda stuff. I have an old slot key to do a segment on if you are interested...

IMG_4002.jpeg

IMG_4003.jpeg

How hard is it to build my own baller case/enclosure/stand/wallmount/...er box for my epic gamer parts and RGB?

I loved the secret shopper series, but unfortunately it doesn't apply to me at all because I never buy pre-built PCs. What I'd love to see is LTT testing customer support of all the big part vendors like ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, Corsair etc.

I think it would be very interesting and valuable to anyone who buys individual parts. Often there are very minor differences between these products and it just comes down to which brand you trust and the only time when you actually figure out how trustworthy they are is when things go wrong. How long will you wait for a reply, will their support even try to help you or just insist on an RMA or maybe not even offer RMAs for some reason? Seeing how different brands handle such situations would be invaluable.

As an individual customer you're often completely helpless and at the mercy of the vendor. If you don't have a large audience, you can't expose bad support and cause any change. LTT could... or at least we could find out what brands to avoid without having to go through frustrating support experiences ourselves.

WUPS, a clown at Nvidia, has accidentally released a "development driver" V470.05 which, together with a "Dummy monitor plug", deactivates the etherium mining lock. Although the driver was only available for download for a very short time before Nvidia discovered and removed it from their website, both the news and the driver are already spread out in almost every corner of the mining community.

I wonder if this is something that can be investigated and provide a basis for content for a video where Linus is the host 🙂

Have a nice day and be safe out there.

I saw this video and thought... "Imagine if this was attached to your chair"... Seems like an LTT video to me! RUMBLE CHAIR!

If time capsule computer videos are a thing now (with the Hot Wheels and Disney PCs), then this might be something you'd be interested in!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_Libretto

I just found one of these (the 70CT) from 1997, with a cached MSN page in Internet Explorer from January 2001.  It is in absolutely perfect condition with original box and accessories.

Hello!

I was just posting because I'd love to see some more on 30xx series laptop reviews (e.g. RTX 3070 and 3080).  This generation of laptop GPUs is . . . an interesting one, with the ridiculously wide range of choices (especially in TDP), and the fact that AMD has released a bunch of VERY compelling mobile offerings.  

For example, I'd love to see LTT dive deeper into the results found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sNOv3ELXmE

I really expected AMD and Intel to trade more blows, and, seeing as I now have an Alienware M17 R4 with a 10870H and RTX 3080, it made me feel a wee bit better about going Intel (mostly, AMD systems weren't available, and I didn't want to give up my Thunderbolt dock).

Anyway, we laptop gamers are a growing segment, and it'd be cool to see more in-depth comparissons between available systems.  Like the new TUF series seems pretty limited with their Intel chips, but my M17 R4, which it's massive TDP (for a laptop) does not.  

I realize the chip shortage likely makes this difficult, but other review channels are starting to pump out more content, and I'm hungry for some LTT goodness on this subject. :-)

13 minutes ago, The_Q42 said:

Hello!

I've merged your post in to the thread for LTT video suggestions. The Tech News forum is for discussing news articles on tech related topics.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

These are the hardest things to buy. None of the commonly sold KVMs are from major brands we all recognize. It would be really helpful if LTT did a video testing a bunch of them to see which one is best. The test bench should be a standard PC with Display Ports on the graphics card, and a laptop with only USB type-c. You should test how seamless the switching process is.

It seems that wanting to hook up a laptop and a PC together has to be somewhat common, yet there are no obvious choices to make this happen. It seems to me that no matter what KVM you go with, you have to "settle" in some way.

TL:DR; Why sites (Mass Drop) won't let you browse without sign-in?

Context: This is something that has bothered me for a long while, and I already know the main reason (collect your information).
(Before we continue, let us assume I am already excluding the ones that sell the info and need to protect it behind a paywall (news sites), or any variations of it.)
I've always used throw-away/Junk email addresses for those, nowadays some sites won't allow you to browse without login in using the convenience of the Google/Facebook "one-click sign-in".
Even The big ones already understand if they are trying to sell you something it is better to let the "prospector" look for the products (browse), and (some of them) even allows you to check out without creating an account.

So, why one of the LTT sponsors (Mass Drop) won't let me check the products they are advertising without me login in?
(I know there are ways around it, but if they are trying to sell me stuff...)

Possible video idea: "In-depth" look into why sites still have browsing products for sale behind Sign-in walls.

My reason for the video suggestion is fourfold.
First, raise public awareness of it;
Second, raise company awareness of the inconvenience (I gave up on checking the keyboard I wanted to buy for this reason alone).
Third, I am too lazy to research the issue myself =).
Fourth, to vent a little bit.

Thanks, everyone for lending me a few moments to allow me to vent, and if it ends up turning into a video, it is even better.

I don't know if you've done this before but I've got an idea for a video, you would build a pc built into a suitcase with fans built into the suitcase or something. You could have the monitor either on the suitcase or you have the monitor not with the pc. I think it would be a funny pc build to watch and it could have a cool design to it if it's done properly.

Two ideas that could work out great and would likely have Alex involved.

#1 Sketchy Heatsinks Episode 4 - Ceramic

Instead of trying to do what the cpu cooler/heatsink manufacturers are doing and failing (Sketchy Heatsinks #1, 2, 3) it's time to walk a new different path? Ceramic is an excellent conductor of heat and thanks to a microporous structure has a larger air contact surface than aluminium/copper do. What monstrosity can LTT create, uhm I mean let's see LTT innovate in the CPU heatsink market! 

Small ceramic heatsinks are already available for use in routers (don't block wireless signals to the same degree as metals do) and for example the Raspberry Pi. Just have to scale it up to CPU sizes ;). There's DIY ceramic tutorials out there, not sure if homegrade ceramic has any chance of even keeping a PC CPU cool but it would make for a fun video.

#2 Not so sketchy heatsink

Get in touch with a company like https://www.ceramtec-group.com/en/ceramcool ceramtec and see if they can help you make a pure white CPU cooler that isn't painted aluminium. You guys have contacts at Noctua as well right, maybe even try to combine the two, have a tower cooler with ceramic sheets instead of aluminium.

If that can't be done, then an XXL version of something like this might do the trick for lower end parts. Or maybe go ful crazy and have a whole PC-case made out of the stuff to act as a heatsink.

1628_02.jpg

PS: My original idea was to use ALON (Aluminium Oxynitride) to make a transparent cooler (imagine the bling with RGB) but the thermal conductivity is a mere 13 W/mK so I don't think that would work.

TL;DR: Can you use a Corning Thunderbolt 3 Optical cable to keep a desktop PC in one room and use VR in another?

It gets way too expensive for the real person to have one PC dedicated for VR in the living room while also having a gaming PC somewhere else in the house. Considering Corning makes optical TB3 cables that are up to 50 meter in length, could it be used to connect to a dock in a different room for a VR setup? I know Linus used one of these in a video once, but this would actually be a very good real-world application for it...I'm thinking about it myself...if it works...

2 hours ago, LRossi said:

It gets way too expensive for the real person to have one PC dedicated for VR in the living room while also having a gaming PC somewhere else in the house. Considering Corning makes optical TB3 cables that are up to 50 meter in length, could it be used to connect to a dock in a different room for a VR setup?

Well you technically can, but it'll probably cost you as much as a dedicated PC 😂

Meanwhile you can get a Quest 2 and use it wirelessly for cheaper than a 50m cable...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

44 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well you technically can, but it'll probably cost you as much as a dedicated PC 😂

Meanwhile you can get a Quest 2 and use it wirelessly for cheaper than a 50m cable...

Hm...it's would be expensive for sure, but not nearly as much as a dedicated PC, with the plus side that you can then also use it as a HT-PC. I already own a Valve Index as well.

A 25-meter optical TB3 cable costs around $430, plus ~$120 for a good dock with DP-out, and in my case another $70 for the TB board (Asrock X570 mobo).

Main question is: does it work in practice (latency, compatibility, etc.), especially considering that the Corning datasheet recommends using the cable only with MacOS?

With the GPU shortage people are going to be unable to upgrade for some time, many people are going to have RTX 20 series cards and 4K 120Hz capable.  There are active adapters from DP 1.4 to HMDI 2.1 (see link below) but no information on the latency anywhere which is absolutely critical if you want to game.       Is type C to HDMI 2.1 possible for 4K 120Hz, again what would the latency be like?    

https://www.amazon.com/Club-3D-DisplayPort1-4-Adapter-CAC-1085/dp/B08BX49V5V

These adapters are expensive more so if you live outside of the US once the currency conversion and shipping, it would be really useful to know how they work.

Also in another or the same video it would be useful to test the latency of running HDMI 2.1 though Ethernet for longer runs.   

In my personnel set up I have a 2080 super, 4K TV with HDMI 2.1 and existing Cat 6 ethernet cables in the wall, I would like to convert DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 to ethernet with negligible latency, is this possible?

Also latency 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Silverstone’s relatively unknown SFX L 1000w sx1000 powe supply.

I thought of this after building a dedicated server PC and realizing that the only one you guys made was an overkill minecraft server PC build.

I'm running a i5-4690k (at stock speeds with the auto boost to 3.9 Ghz) with 16Gb of ram and a cheap case and cheap 600w PSU.

It cost me around $100 bc I already had the CPU, motherboard, and RAM lying around, with everything its like a $300 build.

Going into SteamCMD would be nice since im just running them as headless servers and didn't mess with that at all.

TBH not sure what min specs for dedicated servers should be so info on that would be nice too!

Bad Idea or Good Idea?