Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I'm requesting a  "Fan Control Software That Doesn't Suck?"   Video.

With SpeedFan being basically obsolete for newer hardware and with many people still in great need of a fan control software that's not crappy proprietary software, I think a good video idea would be looking at and compare alternatives that work.

"FanControl" by forum member Rem0o is the first one I think deserves a deep look into. Free/donationware that looks good and works great for most people. Open source and built on open-hwm api. Automatically switches fan curve based on hottest component and much more. The guy deserve major cred.
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1099996-fancontrol-my-take-on-a-speedfan-replacement/
186948456_DesktopScreenshot2021_02_02-04_59_51_37.thumb.png.3bcec5937c20deefc5d84cf9ccda8cd2.png

"Argus Monitor" is another program that I've read works well. It is paid software that has what I assume are sort of similar features and more monitoring capabilities but with an older looking UI. It's more of a spiritual successor to speedfan if anything. But that's really all I know about it. I tried the demo but for some reason it didn't have the fan control part so I couldn't fully test it.
https://www.argusmonitor.com/
gpufancontrol_eng.png.d4a125613bf9cbf4e07f86e526bb129d.png

There might be more out there, who knows. A video about it would be fun and most likely helpful to many people.

@GammaVolantis topic merged to official topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hello, I had a good idea for a video and thought you guys may like it. essentially it would involve building a pc entirely from second hand parts (craigslist etc.) then building an identical pc using brand new parts and compare benchmarks etc to see if second hand pcs are actually inferior or not.

Check this out apparently these guys from stanford want to be the next bitcoin but it's all on your phone https://minepi.com/ <removed by staff>

I don't no much but i am curious to what it is 

Edited by SansVarnic
Content removed

Hey peeps,

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been suggested before. But I was thinking it would be cool to make a video on syncing up your smart lights (hue, nanoleaf, etc.) to your in-game health bar.

It appears to be possible, and  there's even an open source project that scans in-game screenshots : https://github.com/jjensn/lifelights

The video could also include a tutorial on how to set this up. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy your time making it!

Hey, I haven't really seen any videos on racing or flight sims. I enjoy both so I created an all in one system that uses a triple screen mount that slides between three stations: one is a standard keyboard and mouse, the other is a flight sim, and the other is a racing sim. My VR headset plugs right into the desk to use roomscale vr or a vr/sim setup. When you don't feel like using the headset anymore, you can just use the triple screen. The two sim stations are connected through USB hubs and USB switches, so you can turn them on one at a time. I'd like to see how LMG leverages their connections and their budget to make something better. Here is a picture and if anyone has any questions feel free to message me on the LTT Forums.

0.jpg

I have an idea for a collection of videos you could do. Take a few people with little to no computer knowledge, and have them compete for a prize you workout with the sponsor. And the first person to complete a working build wins. And you take into consideration whether they fried any parts, and the extra cost of the build. Fry a RAM card and add 5 min to your build time, that kind of thing. 
i hope you like the idea. If you do, I have plenty more. 

Turning a cheep TV in to a giant touchscreen monitor with a conversion from different companies including aliexpress,comparing the difference of each one in quality.

So I came across a piece of vr software called immersed vr that's being marketed as a virtual workplace one of its features projects 5 virtual monitors I sent the company a message and they said along as the pc can handle it you can game and do other things on these vr screens and I thought it would be awesome to have this kind of tech with a pair of ar glasses and found thinkreality a3 that has the same feature as a person with a ton of screens replacing them all with a virtual setup seams like a pretty epic thing I know theres a place on the forum to send suggestions to but I'm lazy anyway I think a couple headsets and glasses to try out these kinds of things for gaming and multitasking would be pretty sick any chance you guys could make a video on this?

@Anthony: You reviewed the Librem 5 and the PinePhone, which was nice, but you kinda still left out the true GNU/Linux smartphones os which works fine for over 7 years now, has a much larger app ecosystem and an Android runtime (LXC container) called aliendalvik allowing to have the best of both worlds: SailfishOS
But not the community-made Alpha version you tried on the PinePhone, but on an officially supported relatively new device, either the Xperia XA2 or the Xperia 10.
It's A LOT smoother due to Hw acceleration by Android Kernel + Libhybris (android to GNU/Linux syscall abstraction layer) and as said, it exits for over 7 years, descending Nokia's MeeGo operating system. 

https://sailfishos.org

It's really day-to-day usable for years, even if you don't want to rely on the Android runtime. 
Please try it to, otherwise you let "real Linux" on smartphones look a lot worse than it actually is.

If you guys still have the Starlink beta stuff, and assuming you also still have some ubiquiti networking gear (or could bother them for some), you could try creating some kind of area wifi network to emulate, to kind of "preview" what such a use case could be like in rural environments, where a couple "neighbours" buy a starlink dish and share the internet connection through WiFi antennas and check for speeds, latency, what the connection quality would be like if several people try to use it at the same time...

If that's even allowed by Starlink of course.

Probably been suggested before but a video covering various pcie speeds and version and affect on performance for GPU and other items. Not just PCIE 3.0 16x vs 4.0 16x but do the full 2x 4x 8x 16x for PCIE 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. Would think most people are running at 8x speed and not 16x so would be interested to see if there are any meaningful differences using the latest cards from both manufacturers. Would also be interested in a follow up video once DirectStorage takes off.

Differences between airflow and non-airflow cases but unlike just showing temperature and decibel numbers explain what those numbers mean in real life usage like, does the system run slower when its hot? How hot does it needs to get to slow down?  How loud it gets, how audible that loudness is etc.

It would be necessary to use variety of different PC configs such a system with a 5600X and a RTX 3060 and another system with a 5950X and a RTX 3090.  

I am currently using a Corsair 220T Airflow and due to how much dust it was sucking in I decided to tape off the front panel and to my suprise very little has changed, yes it does run hotter but the performance is the same and its running just a bit louder. So I'm wondering how much difference it makes in different configs.

I think you guys should really make a lot more videos about not building PCs but actually diagnosing and repairing PCs for those people that used your videos to build a PC but now have a problem with it and don't want to go to say geek squad and get ripped off for a simple fix.

I could see you finding fun ideas like having actual fans send in their broken PCs where you fix them for free and help them learn about what went wrong and then sending them back to a customer whos happy that they didn't have to pay a ton to get back in the game 😄  Thanks for teaching me to be an amazing computer tech @the Linus Tech Team.  Much love.

I think that the LMG should try to Build a Pc with a Playstation inside it like Mifcom did for Montanablack 

Updated Specs:

Cpu: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

Memory:8x Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 256GB

GPUs: 2x NVIDIA RTX 3090

Capture Card: Elgato 4K60 Pro Mk 2

Fans: 10 Corsair iCUE QL 120 RGB

Nvme SSDs : 3x 2TB Corsair MP600

Solid SSD: 4TB Samsung 860 QVO

HDD: 10 TB 

Cooling: Custom Watercooling

Bonus: PS4 Pro Customwatercooled + 4TB SSD

This thing is Beefy af

Now we need a LTT version of it 🙂

I was thinking that you guys should make a video on plugging an amp into an amp into an amp into an amp etc. How loud will it be?

14 minutes ago, Krazy Kritters said:

I was thinking that you guys should make a video on plugging an amp into an amp into an amp into an amp etc. How loud will it be?

As loud as the last one can do and all the previous ones are useless.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I would like to suggest the Model F reproduction from https://modelfkeyboards.com for a review/Impressions video.

From the specs this looks like a dream for the Team at LTT.

1. Buckling Springs

2. NKRO

3. QMK firmware

4. detachable usb-c cable (non compact version needs to be opened to unplug)

If you are interested  suggest you get in contact with Ellipse through email (info@modelfkeyboards.com) or the deskthority thread,

given that Ellipse has expressed interest in LTT reviewing the keyboard and it's clearly a passion project I'm sure he'll be amenable,

in regards to shipping, questions and the like.

LGR complained about missing flip out feet in his first impressions,

so don't forget to order some screw on bumpers for free like him.

There are some questions I'd be interested in.

Since it has NKRO is it actually good to game on?

What is Model M aficionado Linus' impression?

How does it compare to the original IBM model M and F,

as well as Unicomps Model M and new space saving Model M?

How do you go from this to reproducing a near mythical keyboard?

It'd be pretty interested to see your resident zoomer's impressions as well,

since the IBM Model F was discontinued before she was even born

and keyboards today are much cheaper.

DIY Fanless PC  (HOW TO BUILD A COMPLETELY SILENT PC)

Components:  

• Palit GTX 1650 KalmX
  • ARCTIC Alpine Passive  

• SeaSonic PRIME Fanless 500 W 

• An Airflow case with mesh all over.  

It might be good chance to explain and demonstrate coil whine as well xd

Performance costs of anti-tamper technology Denuvo.  (DOES DRM MAKE YOUR GAMES RUN SLOWER?)

There are several games that had Denuvo removed with updates so it might be an interesting video to compare two different versions of the games using variety of different hardware.  

Some notable games that had Denuvo removed:  

• Batman Arkham Knight
  • Hitman
  • ADR1FT
  • Homefront: The Revolution
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Denuvo on Steam but DRM-free on GOG)

• Watch Dogs 2

• Dishonored 2

• Resident Evil 7 Biohazard

• Prey

• Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

• Resident Evil 2

• Hitman 2

• Metro Exodus

• Rage 2

• Borderland 3

Video Suggestion. What about a Game showdown between Linus Media Group and the RAF Gamers Network but talking about and using the Secure Reliable Transport Protocol to get each person's POV whilst gaming into OBS to stream to Twitch or YouTube?