Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Chromecast has a problem that nobody's fixing.

With mesh networks, out of the box, if you're connected/chromecast is connected to a different access point/the router on aimesh, orbi, or others, you'll get a seemingly random list of cast devices. I've been trawling the internet looking for a solution, but I can't find one. Google support are useless. The best guess I have is that there's some kind of firewall/multicast/subnet issue, but nobody seems to have narrowed it down.

If you can work this out, you'll be my hero.

A review of the DecaMove would be cool. It's a vr locomotion device that is supposed to help with natural movement in vr. The blogger's editions are already being sent out. It's basically an IMU in a box with a button that also has rumble. It connects to your pc with a usb dongle and is supported by steam at a base level. I think a review of this would bring some attention to Megadodo, and it could help them make the decagear 1 if enough people buy the decamove.

The link to the webpage: https://www.deca.net/decamove/

The list of contacts on their website: https://www.deca.net/people-at-deca/

fyi the press@decagear.com email isn't checked.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us wth your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

GAMING AT 32K-"3 years back linus made a video about 16 k. To game on 16k he used 16 4k monitors and used 4 4k graphics, but now in 2021 can

you use 16 8k monitors and uses 4 8k gpu's?

I wish you guys would do a review of Rockwell’s Retro Encabulator. You guys could make the best one yet. 

I came across a pretty cool "Little Tikes Young Explorer" IBM computer in a vintage PC sale group.  It would go great with the reviews recently done on the Hot Wheels and Disney computers.  https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/276886270558271/?ref=share_attachment

I’d love to see an up to date tour of the studio and what happened to the games lounge? Was it ever moved upstairs? Thanks!! 👍

Do you remember a while back, before 4k was the norm how popular passive 3D TVs were? The ones with polarized glasses? What happened to that tech? How is it performing today. I still see some 2020 and 2021 models popping here and there? Is there any positive change? Could it be the next big hype before VR becomes much more affordable? 

P.S.

A good throwback to the last time Linus reviewed it 8 years ago:

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

3 years ago linus made a video about gaming on 16k, to game on 16k he used 16 4k monitors and usesd it as on pc. He then

used 4 4k gpu's to make it 16 k. When he made the video there was no 8k,, but today in 2021 can you game on 32 k? can you

uses 4 8k graphic's cards and 16 8k monitors to get 32k?Linus if you see this pls make a video

A day in the life series where everyone at lmg records a typical day in there life

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

Ok this is a good one i think

Run a machine with a bone stock windows install from maybe 2 years ago

Then run it with a windows install that has had 2 years worth of crappy patchwork windows updates on it so you can see how much slower windows is with updates turned on.

Hello ... 

This is my first topics i wrote..

I hop Antony and other make videos about gaming v2 of there last videos... And try to run games that wont run before( After year and half of update volkan and steam)

and compare games fps before updates and after update... To show if software updates can improve gaming and fps on linux... 

best luck

Hey guys!

I just saw the latest #short that was posted and the like/dislike ratio pushed me to share an idea I had last week to revitalize Channel Super Fun.

So, I love the bloopers and outtakes that are often left as snippets in the main videos, this always makes the video feel more genuine and I can never seem to get enough of them. This is one of the reason why i've followed the channels for so many years. I'm sure there's plenty of unusable footage and other goofball moments that can't be fitted in the video. What if these were used to make the #short the yt algorithm seems to be craving so much lately? I feel like everyone in the community would love to see more of you guys.

For example, the footage from Riley's run in the short circuit unboxing of the Insta360 Go2 would have been perfect for the #short format.

Anyway, I hope this can be of use and I certainly hope Channel Super Fun can take off once again!

P.s.: This is my first post on the forum, please let me know if there's anything I did wrong.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I have this crazy idea regarding HTC/Valve light houses, unsightly wires, and creating a mounting point,  all in one unit that connects to track lighting thats already pre-existing homes.

Track lighting provides a 12 volt power supply which can be stepped up or down for the light houses, and a housing could be built and 3d printed in order to hold the light house at an adjustable or set angle.

I’d love to see this in a video, and if i had more technical know-how, I would develop a proof of concept myself.

Did you guys know that militaries get some neat tech, like a computer with a built-in Nvidia Titan GPU that is designed to be mounted in an humvee?   Is there anyway we can get a video where Linus and the crew use only military computers to build the ultimate, ruggedized, off-roading gaming SUV, where you can still comfortably game in online multiplayer while the driver is going 60 mph on gravel?

Can you do a review of the Orion X2 8 pack. It is a £30,000 pc and they say it is the best pc in the world. Do a review of this, they use HDD's on it. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pack-orionx2-dual-system-extreme-overclocked-pc-intel-core-i9-10980xe-and-intel-core-i7-10700k-fs-006-8p.html ;
This is their website for the Orion X2 8 pack. 

"TO CATCH A SCALPER" - SKIT SUGGESTION

Looking at all the scalpers, poor shafted customers, and upset Linus trying to help... Has the idea come up to spoof "To Catch A Predator"? The LTT team luring would-be scalpers to some seedy backroom in a huge "GPU warehouse" made up of verified gamer program stock as bait. Linus inviting them to "sit down" and talk to them, asking them if they ever thought about the poor gamers feelings, before letting them on their way to think about they behaviour.

Bonus points if at least one of them tries to escape in dramatic fashion when realising its a set-up.

Bonus Bonus points if an LTT member comes in after the first one trying to scalp GPUs for the verified gamer program. For your entertainment I have provided a rough script as an idea free of charge for this particular scene:

INTERIOR - NIGHT

TEAM IS PREPARING QUIETLY FOR THE NEXT SCALPER TO COME THROUGH. SUDDENLY THE DOOR CREAKS OPEN AHEAD OF SCHEDULE.

JAKE ENTERS, OBLIVIOUS TO THE CREW IN THE INTERVIEW CORNER

(Camera begins moving haphazardly between Jake and Linus to catch unintended interaction as he becomes visible)

LINUS

"Uh.... Hi Jake?"

JAKE FREEZES MIDWAY THROUGH THE ROOM HEADING FOR BOXES CRUDELY LABELD "GPUs"

JAKE

"..."

LINUS

"Oh for f... You're fired. Get the F out Jake. Just... Get the F out."

JAKE DOES'NT MAKE EYE CONTACT AND BACKS AWAY. UN-MICKED, MUFFLED, SWEARING ECHOES THROUGH THE WAREHOUSE AND THE DOOR SLAMS SHUT

QUICK PAN BACK TO LINUS WHO IS VISIBLY PANTING AND SEETHING WITH ANGER. OTHER CREW ARE SCARED TO SET HIM OFF. MIMED "THE F" ARE EXCHANGED BETWEEN CREW.

LINUS (WHISPERS BETWEEN CLENCHED TEETH)

"Moving along, lets see if someone who isn't on staff comes along shall we."

LINUS LOOKS AT STAFF LIKE HE'S ABOUT TO COMMIT MURDER

DOOR OPENS UNEXPECTEDLY AGAIN, CAMERA PANS OVER

YVONNE FREEZES MIDWAY THROUGH THE ROOM AS SHE SPOTS THE TEAM ON HER WAY TO THE BOXES

CUT

The rest is Yvonne screaming at Linus that she had no choice since he's squandering all the company money on gold controllers and GameStop stocks as credit rolls against black screen.

Note:

I have the utmost respect for all involved at LTT, and I especially love Yvonne. But all bets are off when it comes to Jake... (kidding, rock on Jake! If anything it ought to be Dennis on account of the stuff he "borrows". But he's not an actor as such. Thankfully he is awesome at being Dennis! Rock on Dennis!)

That could turn south fast if people that aren’t in on it  enter sorry if I misunderstood but that sounds illegal but it may be me miss understanding 

4 minutes ago, Leovinus said:

Looking at all the scalpers, poor shafted customers, and upset Linus trying to help... Has the idea come up to spoof "To Catch A Predator"? The LTT team luring would-be scalpers to some seedy backroom in a huge "GPU warehouse" made up of verified gamer program stock as bait. Linus inviting them to "sit down" and talk to them, asking them if they ever thought about the poor gamers feelings, before letting them on their way to think about they behaviour.

Bonus points if at least one of them tries to escape in dramatic fashion when realising its a set-up.

Bonus Bonus points if an LTT member comes in after the first one trying to scalp GPUs for the verified gamer program. For your entertainment I have provided a rough script as an idea free of charge for this particular scene:

INTERIOR - NIGHT

TEAM IS PREPARING QUIETLY FOR THE NEXT SCALPER TO COME THROUGH. SUDDENLY THE DOOR CREAKS OPEN AHEAD OF SCHEDULE.

(Camera begins moving haphazardly between Jake and Linus to catch unintended interaction as he becomes visible)

LINUS

"Uh.... Hi Jake?"

JAKE

"..."

LINUS

JAKE DOES'NT MAKE EYE CONTACT AND BACKS AWAY. UN-MICKED, MUFFLED, SWEARING ECHOES THROUGH THE WAREHOUSE AND THE DOOR SLAMS SHUT

QUICK PAN BACK TO LINUS WHO IS VISIBLY PANTING AND SEETHING WITH ANGER. OTHER CREW ARE SCARED TO SET HIM OFF. MIMED "THE F" ARE EXCHANGED BETWEEN CREW.

YVONNE FREEZES MIDWAY THROUGH THE ROOM AS SHE SPOTS THE TEAM ON HER WAY TO THE BOXES

CUT

The rest is Yvonne screaming at Linus that she had no choice since he's squandering all the company money on gold controllers and GameStop stocks as credit rolls against black screen.

Note:

I have the utmost respect for all involved at LTT, and I especially love Yvonne. But all bets are off when it comes to Jake... (kidding, rock on Jake! If anything it ought to be Dennis on account of the stuff he "borrows". But he's not an actor as such. Thankfully he is awesome at being Dennis! Rock on Dennis!)

39 minutes ago, Leovinus said:

INTERIOR - NIGHT

LINUS

"Uh.... Hi Jake?"

JAKE

"..."

LINUS

CUT

Note:

Regardless of whether you were making a joke or were fully serious. How you all don't understand that what you all call "scalping" and what you all hate so much is perfectly, 100% legal under any law pretty much anywhere apart from maybe Cuba, Venezuela, or North Korea. These people might not declare their "scalping" income in their tax returns but that's a different story. Essentially, buying something cheaper and selling it more expensive is a cornerstone of market economy (or capitalism, depending on your political orientation), and being mad at scalpers essentially means rejecting market economy/capitalism.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

An interesting ‘case’ study for you to try, split into 3 questions:

1. How much/many 140mm based radiators (e.g. multiple mixes of 420mm and/or 560mm) would you need to be able to passively cool (WITHIN the same case as the components) a top of the range (eg RTX 3090 and AMD 9 5950X or a threadripper) fully water cooled system (at least GPU, CPU) at full over clock, to within 5 degrees of ambient temperature with the fans set to their absolute lowest possible speed, and not really needing to spin at all under normal load?
2. Which off the shelf cases (max spending limit of $1,000 for the case) can fit all those radiators at the same time?
3. If there are no cases which you can buy off the shelf which can fit those radiators at the same time within the system case, which case would you buy off the shelf as a starting point, and can you show us a step by step followable guide to how to mod the case so it CAN fit all those radiators? Try and keep the modifications to methods that people could DIY with only moderate access to power tools.
Can you demonstrate/show us such a system in action, and give us a rough idea of total cost for the case and total cooling system (e.g. presumably if there are loads of radiators, a more powerful pump would be needed)?

1 hour ago, TimLongson said:

within 5 degrees of ambient temperature

Likely not possible at all if you're talking of die/reported temp simply because of the package thermal resistance.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Would be interesting to see y'all try to make a laptop that uses only desktop or server parts.

Watching the latest video with Luke fixing the processor really made me miss scrapyard wars and had me thinking: Next scrapyard wars or similar should be an entire build where parts acquired are “As is/not working”. Especially with the graphics card market the way it is, getting a broken GPU and fixing it could be fun to watch and informative from a cost savings perspective. 

On 3/27/2021 at 10:38 PM, Kilrah said:

Likely not possible at all if you're talking of die/reported temp simply because of the package thermal resistance.

Jays2cents demonstrated a way to get them down to ambient temp - he taped a load of radiators together and put a box fan on them. So we know its possible, as I am saying ambient +5 not ambient, its just a case of finding the right case and what is needed. 🙂

Hello!

Please do a performance shootout of:
- A High- or Mid-range laptop with 16Gb RAM
VS
- A High- or Mid-range laptop with 8Gb RAM + dedicated very fast m.2 SSD for Virtual Memory

Since a lot of laptops are not upgradable memory-wise these days, I am actually considering this.

Thank you!

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Brass XBox to match the gold Xbox controller but brass so that maybe u could do it inhouse coz that would be dope