Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

5 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

...todays video

i did watch it, im guessing they removed the link by the time i did or something?

I know i'm opening myself up to get trolled but is there a registration to get into the verified actual gamer program or is it just knowing it's a thing and watching the vids for the link? lol

14 minutes ago, shinegull said:

im... not even sure which video, so maybe im blind

You had to watch todays video to get the lttstore link, but the cards sold out within 5-10mins of the video being up, and you had to be fast to complete the quiz before cards went out of stock.

I think its a good approach against bots and I appreciate what LTT is doing with this verified actual gamer program,  it would be nice if retail companies had customers complete a short quiz to stop some of the bots and scalpers.

3 minutes ago, shinegull said:

i did watch it, im guessing they removed the link by the time i did or something?

It seems they replaced it with a video that had the conditions of the sale removed. So if you didnt see it you were way to late anyways,

3 minutes ago, ShatGamer80 said:

or is it just knowing it's a thing and watching the vids for the link? lol

Bingo

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

It seems they replaced it with a video that had the conditions of the sale removed. So if you didnt see it you were way to late anyways,

Bingo

Thanks a bunch Nexxus! Looking forward to the next vid 🙂

11 minutes ago, shinegull said:

Very interesting. It was at about 10 minutes in today's video, so they've remove the section that talked about it. They've also been combing through the forums to remove any of the links that have been posted.

1 minute ago, MCDELTAT said:

Very interesting. It was at about 10 minutes in today's video, so they've remove the section that talked about it. They've also been combing through the forums to remove any of the links that have been posted.

Linus and the team are no dummies 🙂

10 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

I mean they arent doing a great job, they still haven't removed the ones in this thread that were like the 3rd or 4th comment after it went live.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Honestly even though the price is not that near MSRP as expected. the RTX3080 price after tariff is still HALF the selling price of ecom/retailers here in Malaysia today.

I don't get why people are complaining just because they couldn't get it in time. the whole purpose was to make it harder to get due to limited quantity and try to stop bots and scalpers from getting them.
They are doing gamers a favor here and all I see in this thread is a bunch of people being salty and whining. Have some reality check man. 

I was awaken by my youtube notification, watched the video but mentally too exhausted to crawl down from my bed to go to my computer T_T. It was like 3-4AM midnight here when the video dropped. would had happily pay for the 3070 if i manage to get through. 

Oh well. next wave it is.

missed my chance as im not around during the day, but could anyone tell me if there was a variety of card options available?

my understanding was that they had MSI and Asus, but was it all 1 card from each company or were there a few choices?   Currently after an Asus Strix 3080 white model myself

hoping I can be around for the next time...if there is one but from what I see I assume this went well

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

2 minutes ago, smatts said:

missed my chance as im not around during the day, but could anyone tell me if there was a variety of card options available?

my understanding was that they had MSI and Asus, but was it all 1 card from each company or were there a few choices?   Currently after an Asus Strix 3080 white model myself

hoping I can be around for the next time...if there is one but from what I see I assume this went well

3090 strix blk

3080 tuf

3070 dual

thats it

System Specs

5 hours ago, Slick said:

March 23, 2021 at 11:09 - Last Order 
March 23, 2021 at 10:45 - First Order 
March 23, 2021 at 10:40 - Video Live

Stats for nerds ^_^ 

All things considered, keeping cards in stock for 30 minutes is pretty impressive compared to the typical blink-and-you-miss-it drops from retailers. I saw the video just a couple minutes after it went live, and then despite failing the test several times and somehow tripping the fraud alert at my bank, I managed to score a 3090. Thank for you your service 🙏

And good luck to the ones who are still looking to get a card, here's hoping the next drops are larger! A couple pro tips:

* either turn notifications on or just constantly refresh your YouTube Subscriptions page from 10 to 11 AM (it's kept more up to date than the individual channel page and is faster than notification rollout, which isn't instantaneous)

* scrub through the video for an announcement, that could save you a couple minutes (and I personally always watch at x2 speed)

* for the quiz, focus on accuracy over speed. This is easily where I lost the most time, because I kept making dumb mistakes and having to restart.

* maybe log onto your bank website just in case to handle any problems that may arise.

* the last two letters of the Konami Code are, for this program, B and A. Apparently people just forgot that it's supposed to end with "Start."

Dunno how much things will be changed for the next drop, so some of these points may be somewhat invalid.

Well this really turned my crappy week into an even worse one, had some royal pain in the ass stuff happen last night, and I got moved to a shift later in the day, so that combined with stress meant that I had to sleep through the usual video release time. 

I've checked every video within 5 minutes of launch since they first announced it on the wan show and it figures all this stuff lines up with the one day I couldn't check it 😞

Doubt I would have been fast enough but god I always get the worst timing with stuff going wrong in my life, sheesh. I really hope they do manage to do this some more, and if they do I can actually even see the link in time next go around. I wish retailers were doing some sort of quiz or verification thing to stop people with scalper bots, it's a really great idea. 

3 hours ago, hoemma said:

I watched the video 15-20 minutes after it dropped. I went to the website and tried to give it a shot, since I live in Canada and wouldn't have to pay tariffs (or wait 3 months because it's stuck at customs). They were still in stock and I went through the quiz for the 3080. I'm old enough to have used the Konami code myself and was able to know most of the answers (or guess some of them). Unfortunately, the cards were gone once I finished the quiz. 

Yeah, I'm in Canada as well and was really hopeful that the tariffs might turn some people off and I'd have decent chance at grabbing something to upgrade from my refurbished 1080. That quiz would have been a breeze. Bugger.

5 hours ago, TheBahrbarian said:

OF COURSE the video dropped during my one class today. Holy crap that is unfortunate luck. I saw the notification pop up in class and quickly  scanned the video and description for links while I could but it didn't look like the announcement. I literally opened the video 28 seconds after it was posted and only realized an hour later that it was the video announcing VAG..... damn that is quite depressing.

well not having a link is part of the defense. you've got to hear a URL and type it in

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

So the new system is perfect without fault in creating huge quantities of salt?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

well not having a link is part of the defense. you've got to hear a URL and type it in

Oh yeah I totally understand. I actually think the system they have in place is probably about as good as it's gonna get, I am just gonna have to get super lucky that I am not in class when they do another drop (and that I have the time to watch the video at the time). It's still probably my best bet (considering how well the Newegg Shuffles and Best Buy drops have gone for me haha)

4 minutes ago, Tieox said:

So the new system is perfect without fault in creating huge quantities of salt?

yup, as to be expected. I don’t want to be mean or anything, people can be upset about not getting a card, but please just try to keep it to yourself, chances are nearly everyone else here is in the same position as you and most are handling it fine...

sorry if I’m ranting but I’m just tired of seeing people angry or upset about not having a good GPU. It sucks, but this past year has shown us that most of the time the world doesn’t care if things suck. 

Just now, bitcomputer64 said:

yup, as to be expected. I don’t want to be mean or anything, people can be upset about not getting a card, but please just try to keep it to yourself, chances are nearly everyone else here is in the same position as you and most are handling it fine...

sorry if I’m ranting but I’m just tired of seeing people angry or upset about not having a good GPU. It sucks, but this past year has shown us that most of the time the world doesn’t care if things suck. 

Oh the salt is glorious.

It validates me screaming at my screen when 3070's where out of stock, and the neighborhood I live in being woken up when I screamed like Dwayne Johnson having a violent orgasm once my card was confirmed.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

with that said, I’m appreciative of those moving on and eagerly awaiting the next drop. thanks for taking things well and hopefully Linus can get past the few people that are being (slightly) obnoxious. sorry if this seems like an attack on some people, it’s really not meant to be. 

Did Linus ever explicitly say he would have MSI 3080's?  Or if this would include Radeon cards?  I have no interest in the AMD cards, so it'd save me a lot of hassle knowing ahead of time.

1 minute ago, marcgii said:

Did Linus ever explicitly say he would have MSI 3080's?  Or if this would include Radeon cards?  I have no interest in the AMD cards, so it'd save me a lot of hassle knowing ahead of time.

I do believe he said both AMD (so that would imply Radeon cards) and MSI wanted to work with him as well. So probably in one of the next drops yes.

1 hour ago, Tieox said:

Oh the salt is glorious.

It validates me screaming at my screen when 3070's where out of stock, and the neighborhood I live in being woken up when I screamed like Dwayne Johnson having a violent orgasm once my card was confirmed.

I just wish I had the money when they were in stock, didn't realize how awful things were going to get, yikes.

This year is the first time in my life I've had a brand new motherboard, cpu and ram, before that everything has been used stuff, the last brand new gpu I bought was a gigabyte 660 oc. Would have been cool to have high end hardware that was current gen for the first time ever.

I wonder how much I could scalp my 660oc for on ebay lol

At least my CPU was my biggest problem and I actually bought hardware on launch day for the first time ever too (or actually anything, never lined up for a console or anything like that). I mean, a 1080 isn't bad, but I'm saving buying watch dogs legion for when I can experience raytracing, it looks amazing from the couple short clips I've limited to myself. 

Maybe cyberpunk will be good once the 40 series gpus are out.

This may have been asked before, but what cards/cpus? And if possible, what was the price in usd?